Search Unity

[Released] No more tileset tile tearing in game!!! Tileset Overflow tool!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by slkjdfv, Jun 17, 2020.

1. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

While working on my 2D game I had many issues with tearing between my tiles. Let's start off by letting you know that Unity is a 3D engine first and a 2D engine second. This means the engine doesn't handle sprites or tile-sets on a pixel level it handles them on a texel level, thus causing the tearing. When Unity grabs a tile from a tile-set it grabs the pixels slightly past the tiles border, hence why you see tearing. It's not really "tearing", you're actually seeing the pixels on the edge of your tile (You'll see the camera's background if the pixel is transparent). A permanent fix I found was to "overflow" or stretch out the edges of my tiles. This however could take hours depending on the size of my tile-set and weather or not I had transparent tiles. So I built this little tool to use in Unity. It creates a new image from the one you supply applying whatever new padding and spacing changes you want and how much tile overflow you want. I'll upload a demo video soon.

See below for a before and after image for an example of what this does :

No overflow :

Screen_1.png

With overflow : Screen_2.png

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  2. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

New UI update and some new features.

Screen_4.png Screen_5.png Screen_3.png

3. JYates

JYates

Hi, This looks just what I'm looking for. How can I download this tool?

4. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Here you go, I'm trying to get it on the asset store but they declined it cause they didn't like my artwork for the store, so I need to find a way to make artwork they'll like. Inside the package is a quickstart guide. Make sure your tilesets have read/write enabled.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  5. jtolb005

jtolb005

Thanks!