Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] NeoFPS - A first person shooter toolkit and template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by YondernautsGames, Jul 31, 2019.

1. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey jnbbender. It's not just for low-poly at all - that's just what I've used for the demos so I can focus more time on the code and features. If you have AAA quality weapons then NeoFPS can work great with them. There's a couple of people on the discord who are also adding their own animations to other gun assets, so if you are able to source/create custom animations (animation and sound design seem to be the weak points for most gun assets) then it's a great place to discuss tips and how to get the best results.

Regarding AAA characters, that depends what you mean? NeoFPS has no restriction on the arm models, but it doesn't currently have the system for full body animation or third person views. I'm just starting on nailing down a new animation pipeline now so that I can sort demo animations to use for those (I'll be adding third person animation for future use in multiplayer, not as a third person control scheme).

I hope that helps

2. jnbbender

jnbbender

Very cool, thanks. When you talk full body animation/tp views, are you referring to full body awareness?

3. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

That's one half. The other is full body animation for other player characters in multiplayer that's synced to their first person view. There's a lot of overlap in how they would be implemented though.

jnbbender likes this.
  4. jnbbender

jnbbender

When I load a number of the Demos (FeatureDemo_Parkour, DemoFacility) I get the error "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" The reference it refers to is in AmbientOcclusion.cs in the PP stack. I checked the PlayerCameraSpring and the Post Processing Layer seems to have everything setup okay. Any ideas?

5. jnbbender

jnbbender

Forget it. The Anti Aliasing mode is set to "No Anti-aliasing". When you set this to FXAA or anything else it works fine.

6. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Ok, thanks for updating. I'll change that property in the next update too.

If it happens again, the way I know to fix it is to remove the PostProcessLayer component from each of the camera objects (including on the character prefabs) and re-add it. You'd also need to set the volume blending layer property to PostProcessingVolumes. I wouldn't do a copy and paste values or paste as new, as that might well replicate the bug in the new component. Hoping for an update from them soon that fixes it.

7. BioBurden

BioBurden

There's nothing stopping you from switching out the weapons and animations and using your own. Same with player models. Hope that helps.

8. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

So what is planned for next update?!

9. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey @pushingpandas. The next big update is mostly focused on usability features: quick-starts, item creation wizards, simpler project and scene setup, easier control over things like default key bindings. There will also be some smaller updates in the meantime with fixes and smaller features like individual firearm modules. Finally, the playmaker and rewired integrations are due very soon.

I added a trello board at https://trello.neofps.com which details the in-progress features along with upcoming priorities and more detailed wish-list features

10. giraffe1

giraffe1

what is the difficulty level of swapping out hand models with this asset?

11. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey @giraffe1. The included demo weapons use generic rigs for the arms, so if you're talking about literally swapping the mesh, but keeping the guns and animations, then the new mesh would need to be rigged the same way. I'm working on a new weapon now which uses Unity's humanoid rigs as part of setting up a new animation pipeline.

If instead you have your own weapons and arms with a rig and animations, then it should be simple. The weapons systems just set animator parameters to direct the animation (if an animator exists) and let Unity's animation systems handle the rest.

I hope that helps, but otherwise you can hop on the discord and ask. There are a bunch of users there that have replaced the weapons and arms.

akuno likes this.
  12. jnbbender

jnbbender

I've attempted to walk through the tutorial for adding a weapon (WAY to focused on the Low Poly asset, needs to be more widely scoped). I believe I'm finished but in the Modular Firearm Details panel it states -One or more shooter modules has an error. I've added all my elements and there are no errors on any element. Has anyone encountered this?

13. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey @jnbbender. That shouldn't be the case - any module errors that can trigger that should be highlighted on the module behaviours themselves. Is there any chance you could send me a screenshot of the main Modular Firearm behaviour and the modules so I can investigate further? You can post them here or reach me via support@neofps.com

Agreed. I'm trying to get a number of item creation wizards sorted, including firearms, and then I'll do a new series of tutorials on the new workflow (the output will still be the same).

14. jnbbender

jnbbender

@YondernautsGames I had to make a video so you could see all the Components. If you notice the "Modular Firearm Details" underneath thhe Documentation button, it states I still have an issue.

15. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Ah nice one, thanks @jnbbender. Sorry, I didn't pick up on you saying "One or more shooter modules". I read it as firearm modules.

So the error is on the "Simple Ballistic Shooter" - it doesn't have a projectile prefab set. You can find an example projectile at: "Assets\NeoFPS\Samples\Shared\Prefabs\Weapons\Projectiles\Projectile_40mmGrenade.prefab"

It seems I also missed the tag that highlights that as an error in the inspector so I'll get that sorted in the next update.

So you are aware though, there are 2 versions of the ballistic shooter. The "Simple Ballistic Shooter" which you're using there doesn't react to accuracy changes due to sprinting, recoil, etc, and it also purely uses the muzzle's forward direction instead of the camera center. That might be what you want, but the "Ballistic Shooter" adds those things in.

16. jnbbender

jnbbender

Yeah, I didn't have the needed components for Ballistic Shooter. Since this is just my test ground I used Simple Ballistic Shooter.
    Thanks for helping out.

YondernautsGames likes this.
  17. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Update v1.1.03 is out now

New Features Highlights:
    • NeoFPS Hub replaces the welcome popup and settings wizard with a page based editor UI
      • Quick start readmes
      • Update notes tracks the installed version and shows required changes when updating the asset
      • Demo scenes browser and readmes for each demo scene
      • Improved game settings (player controlled options)
      • Improved game managers (NeoFPS and unity systems options)
      • Custom script creation wizard
      • Integrations page linking to asset store and GitHub integration repos
      • Standalone tools page describing non-hub tools and providing shortcuts to open them
    • Pattern shooters (hitscan and ballistic) shoot in a specific pattern
    • Spread ballistic shooter allows random spread (shotgun style) with ballistic projectiles
    • Advanced bullet ammo effect adds randomised damage and damage falloff over range to modular firearm bullets
    • Ricochet and penetration ammo effects that stack with existing damage effects
    • Ballistic projectile with simple drag adds a basic drag system to the standard projectiles for more interesting trajectories
    • Simplified firearm aimer and recoil modules for AI integration
    • New NeoFpsInputManager moves default bindings to a new location, and adds a new gamepad profile system
    Major Changes:
    • Updated samples to Unity 2018.4 and new prefab system
      • New variant prefabs for characters and weapons to reduce maintenance errors
      • Nested prefabs for scenes for easier changes (eg updating lights for HDRP conversion)
      • Old prefabs moved to new Samples/Legacy folder
      • Renamed prefabs and assets for more consistent naming conventions
    • All managers now moved to scriptable objects
    • Options to allow reloading while ADS
    • Gamepads are now auto-detected and use gamepad-agnostic profiles
    • Hitscan shooters now use pooled bullet trails instead of a line renderer on the gun
    Any problems, let me know via support@neofps.com or the discord server

unityunity