Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] NeoFPS - A first person shooter toolkit and template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by YondernautsGames, Jul 31, 2019.

1. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey everyone (and @Devision4). I've just set up a GitHub repo with an example integration of NeoFPS and Emerald AI. You can find it here.

It contains a demo scene and the required assets (though not NeoFPS and Emerald AI obvs :p) along with instructions on getting set up. The required settings tweaks will be added to the upcoming 1.0.03 NeoFPS update.

Ony and pushingpandas like this.
  2. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

sweet thank you!

3. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

a video in action of the integration?

4. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

I'll be adding it to the playable demo on itch.io and recording a video run-through whilst the next update is in for review. I'm aiming to submit it for review next week.

Ony likes this.
  5. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

ok thanks cant wait to try

6. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Any news on a save system?

7. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Not just yet. The changes to the motion graph that I needed to get done first are sorted now. It's just fitting it in with everything else. I'll be pushing the parkour and motion demos as of next week which will be quite a chunky update, so I'll see if I can get something sorted at the same time. I'll keep you posted though.

pushingpandas likes this.
  8. shahroziub

shahroziub

is it compatible with mobile ?

9. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

There are currently no touch screen input handlers, and if I was going to make mobile a target platform then I would probably release a separate asset (with a discount for NeoFPS owners). My reasoning is that mobile has a lot of restrictions regarding performance that would have a negative impact on non-mobile platforms.

I've not scheduled when to look into that so it will be entirely based on how much interest people show in a mobile version. You're the first +1 for that so far :)

10. shahroziub

shahroziub

i think you just need to publish mobile control package

11. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

I can add touch based controls. That's not a huge deal (and I might do that soon anyway since it applies to more than just mobile). I just don't want to say it's mobile ready if you couldn't actually release a high quality mobile FPS without making some hefty changes to it.

NeoFPS separates out the collision layers for high detail such as bullet hits, and low detail such as character movement. The character controller is also designed to have consistent and quality movement no matter what direction is up, which makes it far more mathsy than I'd like in a mobile game. There's things like that which aren't trivial to change, and make me hesitant to commit to it being "mobile ready" without being able to back it up with testing and profiling.

shahroziub likes this.
  12. shahroziub

shahroziub

ok i'll definitely buy when you add mobile controls in future

13. noobynobody

noobynobody

Hello, in this asset's current state, and without any programming knowledge, is it possible to make a game like Left 4 Dead 2, minus the multiplayer?

Is part of your goal to allow users to create complete games without coding?

I'm really glad you integrated with Emerald AI, since it's a lot more practical to me than something over-complicated like Behavior Designer.

14. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi @noobynobody. To answer your questions:
    Partially. You would be able to set up the character, weapons and environments without any coding. Though do bear in mind this asset doesn't attempt to be a one-click setup. Everything is split up into modular monobehaviours, so you'll need to be comfortable working the "unity way" to get the most out of it. Most of the behaviours use unity events though, so it's not too difficult to integrate with other assets.

You can check out the manual at: http://docs.neofps.com/manual/index.html

There are also some tutorials at: https://neofps.com/tutorials/ with a new series of videos due before the end of the week on adding a new gun, including expanding the inventory and sorting weapon and ammo pickups and drops. All without any scripting.

However, currently any progression mechanics such as unlocking new levels, carrying over your inventory between scenes, or having a set number of lives will need some scripting to do.

Yes. You'll always be able to get the most flexibility and power out of it with some scripting knowledge, but I do aim for you to be able to create a complete game without. I will be adding integrations with visual scripting assets that allow you to control the game progression and tie in to things like deaths, spawns, trigger zones, etc. I have Playmaker already, and aim to look at Bolt, Game Creator, and the upcoming Unity ECS visual scripting. I've not set a schedule for the integrations yet though.

15. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey everyone. I just added some new tutorial videos for adding custom guns to NeoFPS:
    Part 1 - Creating and Setting Up
    Part 2 - The Inventory
    Part 3 - Pickups and Drops

The videos run through adding the AK47 from David Stenfors' Low Poly FPS Pack - Free Sample to NeoFPS, including:
    • Creating the gun object
    • Adapting the animator controller graph
    • Adding firearm modules to build the firearm behaviour
    • Tweaking the recoil and gun feel
    • Adding the firearm and a new ammo type to the NeoFPS inventory system
    • Adding contact and interactive ammo pickups and an ammo crate
    • Creating a firearm drop that allows you to drop & pick up the gun and persist its magazine count
    I hope they're useful for everyone.

@Devision4. I've been delayed on the save system by these tutorial videos as they were far more involved to put together than I expected. I'll be cracking on with the implementation as of tomorrow though.

pushingpandas likes this.
  16. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

cool. Cant wait :) Your tutorial are really good! Thank you.

17. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

NeoFPS is currently 30% off in the Asset Store sale (Promotion has ended)

If you've been holding off for a discount, now's a great time to grab it. Alternatively, if you know someone who might be interested in this or another asset in the sale, then let them know.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  18. VermilionGames

VermilionGames

Just got it on the sale. Not disappointed I must say, will leave a review soon.

There are few small things missing (besides those listed on your roadmap):
    - there is no explosion knockback to the character controller
    - there is no muzzle climb and recoil knockback (would be great, especially with LMGs shot from the hip)
    - melee under a quick key would be great
    - same with grenades

check how it's done in the Low Poly FPS, the gunplay there isn't perfect, but quite accurate.

There is also an animation logic bug, when reloading the shotgun, pumping it after a partial reload with a shell in the chamber, would eject it, just makes no sense. But yeah, I know those guns are placeholders only.

19. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Thanks. Glad you're liking it :)

Aye, I'll get that in in one of the next updates. I just did a rework of the explosions systems and need to get that working again.

Not sure what you mean with the muzzle climb? That's in there, though it's not very strong on the included weapons. The recoil knockback should be fairly easy for me to do though. I'll add that to the list.

Definitely. I need to do a bit of a rework to the inventory system to make it more flexible like that, but it's in the pipe.

Good point :p. I need to add animations soon for inspecting weapons and walking, falling, etc. I'll break it up then.

Any other requests or issues just let me know. There's also a discord server (discord.neofps.com) with channels for requests, help and bugs.

20. VermilionGames

VermilionGames

Right, my bad, missed that setting.

21. jnbbender

jnbbender

So far, I haven't been able to tell from this forum whether or not this asset was built for low-poly projects in mind. How easy is it to add my own AAA arms and AAA weapons?

22. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

If they are fully animated, then it's very doable.

There's 3 part tutorial series here and I'm looking at ways to make that process smoother (for example a drag and drop field to align to camera coming in the next update, and setup wizards for pickups and drops coming later on).

The guns are assembled from modules like triggers, shooters, aimers. You drop a ModularFirearm behaviour on an object and it gives you a quick setup to select your model and choose the inventory and input type. After that, you can add modules from that behaviour and then edit the individual properties on the module components (the ModularFirearm will highlight any errors or missing parts). The complexity is mostly dependent on how the animations have been set up. That's something I'm looking to add some automation to, but it will take a while to get that implemented.

I hope that helps

Edit: NeoFPS hasn't specifically been built for low poly. The included demo assets use that style simply because I've been focused on the code features over the art. I've tried to make it very flexible to use and am aiming for a AAA quality bar for features.

jnbbender likes this.
  23. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi @lolaswift. I responded to your email with answers for these. The minimap one wasn't on there. I'll consider it, but it seems like something that would be ideal as an integration with another asset. One of the discord users suggested an asset called HUD Navigation System, so that one is on my radar, but if you have any other suggestions then they're always welcome.

Thanks

lolaswift likes this.
  24. noobynobody

noobynobody

I'm curious what the answer to this was: "Mobile controls. It can be a separate asset though. Personally, I'd like to have it A.S.A.P. ~cuz I'm making a mobile game."

25. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

They're not in there at the moment. A mobile version is on the roadmap and it likely will be a separate asset (and take a while to develop) due to the number of changes required. There seems to be a lot of demand for it though, so I'll be spending some time at the start of next year profiling on mobile to see what exactly needs doing and then I'll work out a plan from there.

26. lolaswift

lolaswift

I'd like going for an asset from a well-known publisher which has good records of offering support
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/compass-navigator-pro-59519

27. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Sounds good. I just did a simple integration for their Highlight Plus asset. That one was actually suggested at the same time as the other I mentioned, but I hadn't realised it did mini-maps too

lolaswift likes this.
  28. lolaswift

lolaswift

Awesome! I bought many assets from that publisher but I haven't bought the one I mentioned to you yet but I talked to the publisher about my need. His answers seems pretty promising. About HUD Navigation System, I'm not sure because I read from the reviews mentioning the publisher used to stop responding to emails. Maybe it's just an occasional situation but since I had similar experience before with some other assets I own, it makes me hesitate about buying it to be honest.

29. lolaswift

lolaswift

30. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

As in shift to sprint? Yes there is. Or do you mean something else? It doesn't currently have a sprint animation for the weapons, but that will be added when I do my next animations pass.

31. Necron99

Necron99

Hi, In the demo scenes, what is the purpose of the object TestSetup->SceneCamera? Thanks.

32. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi Necron99. NeoFPS uses a spawner system instead of placing a character directly in the scene. The scene camera is used when no player character has been spawned. In the case of the current test setup, the game mode spawns the character immediately and again a set period of time after death. In other game modes this might not be the case, such as if there were a loadout selection popup at the start of the level. I'll be working on tutorials and examples for custom game modes in the new year.

Edit: It also means that you don't get a "No camera in scene" black screen when looking at the game view while in edit mode since there is no character in the scene until you hit play

33. Necron99

Necron99

Thanks. A side effect seems to be that it forces shader compiles, or loads geometry while the character controller is loading. Removing it looks as if it introduces some visual stutter and lag when the scene first loads. BTW, your dev skills seem to be quite a bit higher than most Unity asset store persons.

34. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Wow, that's a hefty compliment. Thanks.

For the stutter, are you saying that keeping the camera in removes the stutter on startup? That wouldn't surprise me though it's not deliberate. I think Unity did a fair bit of work to get assets like shaders (and possibly textures / materials) loading on demand in Unity 2019+.

35. Necron99

Necron99

Just an observation, not a complement.

36. Mister-D

Mister-D

can your system use the seperate render pass for fps view in URP setup?

37. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi there. I haven't done much with the URP/SRPs yet since I'm waiting for it to be completely nailed down before adding anything that I'd need to maintain long term. At the moment everything uses the standard renderer and the FPS weapons use a simple scaling system to prevent clipping into scenery (not a dual camera setup as was common before deferred & post-processing became more commonplace).

I have it on my list to add a shader based alternative based loosely on the implementation for the Unity First Person Sample for Standard, HDRP and URP. That would handle the scenery clipping and a separate weapon FoV. Is that what you're after? If not then I could do with an example to better understand :)

38. Mister-D

Mister-D

yes i saw that the weapons in the video dont really have independant fov
    im currently using this setup :

it enables independant fov and no scene clipping and world shadows. its pretty easy to do. (this works in lwrp and urp)
    your kit looks exactly what i need, so i wanted to know if it will be easy to change the setup of the camera system.
    ps. keep your inventory as is. not everyone wants an advanced inventory, maybe do this in a addon.
    also , is swimming supported?

39. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a watch. I don't see why it would be hard to change the camera setup to work with that.

For your other points/questions:
    The inventory will be updated slightly just to allow for things like quick-melee, quick-throw and holstering. I'm also planning a separate asset that implements a grid based RPG style inventory, which might need some tweaks to the interfaces, but that's quite a while off.

Swimming isn't in yet, but I'm aiming for mid-late January for the basics and then extending it some other time with things like diving, waves and tying it into post-processing.

VermilionGames and Mister-D like this.
  40. ellisthemiracle

ellisthemiracle

Hi, I'm thinking of buying this asset, I kinda need these features:
    - Parkour (Climb, Vault, Slide)
    - Stealth take down kill (like in FarCry series)
    - Bullet penetration (physical bullet and can penetrate certain materials)

I saw the parkour is in the roadmap but can't find the others anywhere. Maybe you name them differently?
    Thanks.

41. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi there. To go through those:
    - Parkour is what I'm working on at the moment (alongside finishing up the new save game system) - I'll be sticking some progress videos on the discord soon.
    - Bullet penetration is also planned within the next few updates. I have a few firearm features such as scope shaders and attachments partially done so I'll be batching a bunch of firearms features together, including bullet penetration.
    - Takedowns I've just added to the trello roadmap in the melee section. That will take a while though as there's a number of features it depends on relating to animation and the motion graph. I'd expect second half of the year but need to see how everything lines up.

I can let you know in here when the first two are implemented if you like?

Hope that helps

ellisthemiracle likes this.
  42. ellisthemiracle

ellisthemiracle

Thank you for the detailed answer. I would love to know when the first two are implemented.
    I'm currently making a stealth game so Parkour and Takedown system will be nice to have.
    Cheers.

YondernautsGames likes this.
  43. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Version 1.1 is available now:

Features
    • Parkour
      • Wall running (across and up)
      • Crouch slides
      • Climbing and mantling
    • Swimming
      • Surface and underwater states
      • Strokes or smooth
      • Drowning
      • Wading
    • Leaning
      • Body spring animation
      • Physics aware
      • Can be triggered from motion graph
    • Save Games
      • Quick save & load
      • Checkpoint saves
      • Fully customisable
      • Save full state including animators and rigidbodies
      • In-menu save browser
      • Screenshots
      • Persist character data between scenes

twitchfactor and VermilionGames like this.
  44. BioBurden

BioBurden

Oh wow - this is awesome. Is there any way that this could be fully integrated without any setup required on our end? Many thanks in advance.

45. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey there. I don't actually own the full pack and I tried contacting him while I was sorting that tutorial, but I never got a response. I'd be happy to sort out an integration otherwise, but can't really be spending that much to buy it atm.

46. BioBurden

BioBurden

Damn, that's a shame. I'm tempted to buy this
    Yeah, that would be nice. Just wondering, when playing with the demo, is it possible to have swapable weapons simply replace the currently selected weapon if all other slots are full?

47. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

As in without dropping the original? Yes, you can set what to do if there's a collision between inventory items in the swappable inventory: reject the new one, destroy the old one and replace or drop the old one and replace (default)

48. shahroziub

shahroziub

when will you add mobile controller?

49. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi there. I'll be releasing a separate mobile asset soon. I'm aiming for the first half of this year, but I'm working on that alongside the main asset so it's possible it could take a little longer. I've done profiling on the main asset on mobile and have everything mapped out for the best mobile experience, but it's just getting everything done will take time.

twitchfactor likes this.
  50. jnbbender

jnbbender

I have been looking at this asset for a little while since there are not many good FPS controllers out there. One quick question - is this just for low-poly setups or can I use this with AAA high quality weapons and characters?