Search Unity

[Released] NeoFPS - A first person shooter toolkit and template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by YondernautsGames, Jul 31, 2019.

1. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

NeoFPS is a first person shooter toolkit designed from the ground up to help you achieve your vision. Developed with the core goals of flexibility, extensibility and power, NeoFPS enables you to precisely meet your design goals or experiment with new ideas.

The core of NeoFPS is a powerful motion graph system for modelling first person movement, sitting on top of a custom kinematic character controller. Combined with a powerful camera setup and modular firearm system, NeoFPS can build impressive FPS mechanics out of the box.

Media

Features

Flexible & Powerful Motion Graph
    • Craft complex FPS movement in an intuitive editor
    • Parkour features and demo with wall running, crouch slides, mantling
    • Swimming, including moving water and wading
    • Attach behaviours to motion graph states for a wide variety of effects
    • Graph properties allow communication between the motion graph and scripts
    • A wide variety of conditions
    • Add your own states, behaviours and conditions to extend the graph's functionality
    • Input system independent
    • Swappable data sources and types (speed, jump height, etc)
    • Stamina system
    • Jetpacks
    • Origin shift system for large scale worlds
    Modular Firearms
    • Interchangeable components (trigger, shooter, reloader, aimer, etc)
    • Components can be swapped at runtime
    • Interacts with animation system
    • Flexible accuracy and recoil system
    • Weapon and weapon mode specific crosshairs
    • Shared ammo
    • Guided projectiles
    • Render texture and stencil based scopes
    • Holographic and projections sights
    • Multiple examples
    • Weapon overheat
    Full Save System
    • Quick-saves, auto-saves, manual hard saves
    • Full game state down to bullets in flight
    • Persist data like health and inventory across scene changes
    • Screenshots on save
    • Multi-scene saves to split large worlds into smaller sub-scenes
    • Save browser in game
    • Custom binary serializer
    • Save file inspector
    • Fully customisable - save as much or as little as you want
    • Seamless in-game saves
    • Overrides for different save modes
    Custom Kinematic Character Controller
    • Collide and slide approach to collision response
    • Supports complex moving platforms, with multiple examples
    • Custom gravity strength and direction
    • Custom up direction, or driven by gravity
    • Slope, step and ledge awareness
    • Friction and speed modifiers
    • Smooth crouch jumping and height change
    • Rigidbody pushing and collision response
    • Push other characters
    • Curve based slope speed modifiers
    Powerful Camera Setup
    • Layered additive effects such as bob, recoil, knock
    • Field of view modifiers with turn rate scaling
    • Yaw and pitch constraints for situations such as ladders or turrets
    • Optional mouse smoothing and acceleration
    • In-game FoV settings
    • FoV pulses and effects
    Melee & Thrown Weapons
    • Hand grenade and baton examples
    • Thrown items can inherit character velocity
    • Strong and weak throws
    Customisable Inventories
    • Multiple styles emulating popular first person shooters (Doom, Half-Life 2, Halo)
    • Quick-slots
    • Quick switching with previous weapon
    • Contact and interactive pickups
    • Stacked objects such as ammo and grenades
    Detailed Damage System
    • Location based damage and critical hits
    • Friendly fire
    • Damage layers and filters
    • Physics based and impact based damage
    • Pushback (eg. shotguns or explosions)
    • Bullet hit feedback
    • Health manager
    • Recharging energy shields
    • Inventory based armour
    Expandable Scene Interaction
    • Instant use or hold to use
    • Interaction events accessible in the inspector
    • Highlighting and aim-over
    Game Settings & Remappable Input
    • Primary and secondary keys
    • Gamepad profiles
    • Text files for player editing
    • Example in-game menus
    • Access screen resolution settings from in-game
    • Keyboard layouts (QWERTY, AZERTY, etc)
    Event Based HUD
    • Menus & popups (info, alerts)
    • Firearm info (ammo, magazine, fire mode)
    • Health and damage
    • Reactive crosshairs
    • Inventory quick-slots
    • World space HUD markers
    Demo Scenes & Assets
    • Firing range
    • Feature demos
    • Work in progress "Facility" demo scene
    • Animated weapon models
    • Custom recorded and edited sound effects
    • Demo menu system
    Extensible
    • Scripting Reference
    • Embraces Unity's component based design approach
    • Use as much or as little of NeoFPS' features as required
    • Uses interfaces to minimise dependencies and allow custom implementations

Thanks for taking a look, and please get in touch if you have any questions.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    Ony and Neviah like this.
  2. witcher101

witcher101

looks good but bit high on price point

3. unicat

unicat

Needs a playable demo.

VermilionGames likes this.
  4. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi Unicat. I'm working on a WebGL demo now which should be available in the next week, but I'll edit and let you know once it's up.

5. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi Witcher101. In choosing a price point, I didn't want to undervalue the years of work that went into developing this and will continue to go into expanding on it.

I can see why some people will compare the price and feature list with NeoFPS' competitors and find it a tricky call to make, but that decision should get easier with time as more features are added. Plus there will always be sales for the people that are willing to wait :)

akuno and Leslie-Young like this.
  6. unicat

unicat

Would pay 200 and more if there is a really good FPS Controller for Unity. The ones from asset store are ok, but not really AAA like. The best i have ever seen was playing the farcry series. If you could reach this i will buy :)

7. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

AAA quality is the plan for sure. It's early days atm, but the WebGL demo should give you an idea of how far along it is.

Also, looking forward to pushing on with v1.1 and some of the cool features like parkour, mantling and traversal motion states. Those will be a big step towards the farcry feel.

8. unicat

unicat

Thank you, i will follow this thread.

9. witcher101

witcher101

Is it possible to have custom movement type like in old school fps quake1 and half life 1.

twitchfactor likes this.
  10. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Sure. You build movement dynamics using the motion graph: YouTube - NeoFPS Motion Graph

If you want to emulate an old school FPS feel then you can tweak the graph as you like to create a more minimal feel. You can also change settings like speed scale for strafing and moving backwards. I'm always open to suggestions for things to add and expand on though. I want to enable people to make the FPS they want instead of dictate how it should feel.

11. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Really cool I will buy it. But two things are missing imho. Save System! and Enemy AI. Will you add those or make it compatible with other assets?

12. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi Devision4. Thanks for the comments.

Those 2 features are on the radar to be investigated but not in the near term. Priorities for the next major update are additional movement states (parkour, traversal, jetpacks, zero-g), improved melee and thrown weapons, archery, and a few smaller features. After that one, 1.2 is due to be focused on body awareness, swappable arms and better physical interaction with the world.

I will be looking at different asset integrations during that period though. In terms of asset compatibility:
    • Save system will need a little bit of work to be compatible with other assets due to the motion graph. If I have a selection of decent save game assets to look at then I can make that a priority though.
    • Integrating with other AI packages should be fairly simple (that doesn't include AI control of the NeoFPS character though).
      • For player attacking enemies you can either add NeoFPS' damage handling and health management components to an enemy character, or swap the bullet effects on weapons to damage them in the way they require (it's all modular so you would only need to swap a simple component).
      • For enemies attacking the player, most components and systems in NeoFPS are referenced by interface so you can either: implement a wrapper for another asset that uses the correct interface to communicate damage to the player health manager, or you can just not use the NeoFPS health / damage system at all and replace it with the other asset's.
      • Most AI packages will have some way of tracking visibility of characters, etc. There shouldn't be any risk of a conflict with NeoFPS there so you can just add the required components to the NeoFPS character heirarchy as you want.
    When I look at integrations later I will most likely be going the route of adding wrappers to the other asset components that implement NeoFPS interfaces.

There are also a couple of very basic AI enemies in NeoFPS: a security camera and a turret that uses the modular firearm system. They are very simplistic, but will be expanded on at a later date.

Any preferences on which other assets I should look at for integration, just let me know.

Hope that helps :)

13. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

awesome! I will check it out. Asset looks very promising.
    Wish you good sales!

YondernautsGames likes this.
  14. J0linar

J0linar

@YondernautsGames
    a blind man can see that there is alot of work you did there ... then again even if this Project seems aimed at being future proof as in going to be expanded and being created from ground up to be that so called Messiah of FPS Controllers (i know that was overkill)... there is not one word about VR.... how come?

15. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi @J0linar. 2 main reasons:

1. VR poses a very different set of design problems to traditional FPS games. When Oculus first popped up I couldn't wait to play FPS games with a headset, and I played Half-Life 2 on a DK2 and loved it. A lot of people had problems with motion sickness though, so VR diverged heavily from that approach and went the room scale route instead. NeoFPS' first focus is on the movement system while the vast majority of VR games have turned into standing simulators with teleporter guns. That's a problem I don't think I'm best placed to solve and trying to do that would send me down a rabbit hole. I'll keep one eye on how that evolves to see if there's a way NeoFPS would fit into it, but atm there's more than enough work to do outside VR to fill a hefty roadmap.

2. I sold my DK2 ages back because I wasn't satisfied with where VR was heading and I needed the money. I've kept one eye on it, but I've not seen anything yet that's really enticed me back in. If NeoFPS does well and I end up with a bit of throwing around money then I'll get whatever the latest system is and spend some time exploring VR again.

Anyway, I can be convinced that VR and NeoFPS would go well together and I should put some time into that, but my priorities right now are creating the best traditional FPS toolkit I can. Between the next couple of major updates and moving onto concentrating on multiplayer, I will have my hands full for a while.

16. J0linar

J0linar

ic... fair enough. Thanks for the explenation.

17. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

@unicat @VermilionGames The playable version is up at: https://yondernautsgames.itch.io/neofps

The best version is the downloadable standalone, but the WebGL is functional (most of the post-processing stuff doesn't work on WebGL, it uses lower quality lightmaps, and performance isn't quite as good).

Go easy on my pistol animations. I haven't been an animator for a long time :p

18. unicat

unicat

Ok, you got me, tried the demo and read the roadmap i will buy this thing. :)
    Is it easy to change the arms and weapons ?

19. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Kinda. I mean the weapon functionality is all components that you can add to any model you like and just specify animation trigger keys so if you're comfortable doing that kinda thing then it's standard Unity easy. You can check out how they're assembled here: https://docs.neofps.com/manual/weapons-modular-firearms.html

Simplified tools that are just drag and drop and swap the arm skinned mesh are aimed for 1.2 though.

Let me know if there's anything you want help with, or you'd like to see a tutorial on.

twitchfactor likes this.
  20. unicat

unicat

Great, thank you. Just bought.

21. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Much appreciated. Thanks

22. Roachie

Roachie

Love the demo, weapons and movement felt great, looking forward to seeing more updates. Especially interested in

1) Parkour
    2) AI

23. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi @Roachie. Thanks for saying. I'm just working on some motion graph editor back end stuff now to make it handle undo/redo better, but I'll be moving onto the parkour straight after that. I'll let you know when that's out.

I'm also thinking that after the 1.1 update later in the year (parkour and a few things will come earlier), I'll ask the community to recommend other assets to sort integration packages for, including AI.

Cheers

24. ncho

ncho

This looks really promising and straight away from the demo just feels a lot better and less clunky than many of the other assets that currently dominate this space. I also love the modularity and clean documentation.

I would actually suggest against trying to turn this into a "everything but the kitchen sink" asset. I feel like it would be much better to really focus on extensive integration with other assets for stuff like AI instead of trying to come up with your own solution. I feel like really focusing on the core strengths (movement and gunplay) would be a better idea, though I understand that the whole "Complete FPS in just 3 clicks" angle will probably lead to more sales.

Anyway I will be buying this sometime later this week.

pushingpandas likes this.
  25. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi @ncho. Thanks for the feedback - glad you like it.

I definitely agree with focusing on the core strengths. If you take a look at the roadmap then the next two major updates are both concentrating on FPS core features. After that I'm not aiming for "everything but the kitchen sink", but I do feel that the best way to make NeoFPS fit into a range of workflows is to implement (to a fairly basic level) the features that are broadly needed to make a complete game, and then try to make it as easy as possible to swap them out.

AI is a good example that people have been asking about. I aim to implement a relatively basic AI for enemies out of the box that can handle navigation, attacking, patrolling, etc. It won't be anywhere near the depth and flexibility of the top AI assets out there as they've taken a long time to implement and are purely focused on that. It should give developers what they need to start experimenting though, as well as help me understand anywhere that NeoFPS needs to adapt to allow AI to function better.

Integrations wise, I'll be asking for suggestions further down the line (probably before 1.2 so that I can spend a bit of time digging into them before specifics appear on the roadmap) but I also have a few in sight already.

Cheers

26. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I think its crucial to have a save system in.

27. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey Devision4. As I mentioned above, that's something that definitely needs work on my end to make happen so I will be pushing that down the line. I've not nailed down the plan there yet, but I've been broad strokes looking at what I want in terms of game flow - spawns, saves, inventory.

I'm working on an update to the motion graph back-end now before I move to parkour, and that's the main technical hurdle to integrating with other save-game assets. I'll make sure to spend a day this week checking some assets, but if you have any suggestions then let me know.

28. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

cool cool just saw that save is not mentioned on your roadmap yet.

29. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Aye. It's hidden away there under Unscheduled / Extended Singleplayer Features. Once I have a better idea of how much work it will involve I'll move it into one of the major updates :)

30. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Shouldnt the door handle have this visual indicator as well? The Elevator Button got it, the Signs have them too but doors is missing them

31. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Good thinking. I'll change it to allow highlights to be applied to multiple objects (it's currently applied to the door as a whole which can get hidden in the frame).

I'm also planning to knock out a quick shader based selection highlight as well for 1.1 that has an outline and "shimmer" effect. It'll work much better if it outlines the handle too though.

32. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

great thanks. Oh and granate cooking would be cool if you can implement that.

33. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Definitely. The "improved thrown weapons" task includes that along with a few other features like a trajectory arc and throwing knife example.

For 1.2, when I expand the inventory system I'll also add instant use items so you can throw a grenade or use a stim with a single button press, without switching weapons.

pushingpandas and limo like this.
  34. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

35. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

I've been considering it. I'm a bit worried that it would end up distracting me too much though. I suppose it's worth setting one up now though and then working out what to do if it becomes too hectic later on.

I had a quick scan through and it looks very doable. I'll have a deeper look when I get the chance (probably early next week), but from a first glance it seems like creating a new AmmoEffect for the gunshot damage. The explosive and melee damage could be modified with the code in that doc, but I'd prefer a more modular solution so I don't end up breaking the additions when I update them. It's hard to say the best approach without having the asset myself.

Right now I'm thinking it could be very cool just to get one or 2 integrations like this out there quick as possible to show NeoFPS off, and for me to get a better feel for NeoFPS in a complete production pipeline. Hmmmm

36. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

37. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

Can i make a suggestion? Real time weapon customisation

38. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey @Bonzotaz1. That's a definite.

It actually works already on a technical level. You can check out how the firearms are put together here. Any one of those modules can be swapped at runtime and will correctly disable the one it's replacing. They also have a flag for attaching them to the weapon on start and can work on any child object of the firearm (so for example, you can have a selection of sight objects with different Aimer modules and their own meshes, etc, and enabling one will disable the others). It's also how the assault rifle is set up. The different fire modes are actually 3 different trigger modules that are cycled in an override of the firearm OnSwitchModes() method but the same technique can easily be applied to other modules.

Where it's not completed is I haven't set up any "inspect weapon" system, or a UI to control the module activation. I will be sorting that further down the line though.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  39. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Emerald 2 is a very good AI Asset which is constantly improved. I have nearly all AI solution from the asset market through.

40. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

It does look decent. Do the art assets in the demo screenshots actually come with it? Which other AI solutions do you think are best to look at? I have Behaviour Designer and Node Canvas on my radar, but always looking to expand.

41. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

Hi i saw your demo and saw your roadmap and all seems great.. but sincerly i purchased basically all best fps system for unity over the years and sadly all of them felt into the void.. hope you could continue to support the asset and really complete the roadmap for it ..but i think a solid save system and a generic visual inventory is really necessary to give player the opportunity to store ammos and health and use them when its necessary .
    a simple inventory system like this one would be great and really not too hard to make

i'm really interested to purchase your asset to full price but sincerly i really need to know if these elements really will be added into future or should remains only word and promises... sorry if i was rude but i had too many left promiese in the past ..

42. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi @JC_LEON. I understand, that wasn't rude.

Firstly, I'm committed to extending NeoFPS because, fundamentally, I want to create an FPS and none of the tools I've looked at have been good enough to enable me to reach the quality bar I want. The features on the roadmap are the features that I want access to along with some smaller extras as well. If NeoFPS fails to bring in any revenue at all, then I'll be forced to spend more time on other things to pay the bills, but it will still be worked on. I can currently afford to work on NeoFPS nearly full time until the end of the year and I'm very confident that by that point it (and other sources) will be bringing in enough to keep it as my top priority for the next couple of years at least.

To address your 2 feature requests:

The current inventory system is designed to be expandable and I will be adding a more detailed inventory management system with containers, shops and character equipment UIs later on. That will either be for a separate NeoFP-RPG expansion asset (catchy title, I know :p), or as part of NeoFPS. I'll also be looking at integrating with the Inventory Pro asset in the next few weeks.

The save system will take a bit longer. I've not yet found a save asset I'm satisfied with, so I'll be building one from scratch and I want to make sure it's as high quality as possible.

I hope that helps

SickaGames1 likes this.
  43. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

If you make a full RPG model with sword + shield, 2 handed weapon, and duel wielding and wearing armor, with an easy integration to Inventory Pro, and Emerald AI I will buy this ASAP.

44. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

I'll be looking at integrations as of next week. Improved melee (including dual wielding and shields) is targeted for 1.1 though I'm currently balancing the roadmap with integrations and trying to add smaller cool looking features to grab attention and get some traction. I'll tag you when I post about any of the features you mentioned.

45. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

Hi and thanks for your reply and honest answers hope NeoFps could get the success it seems to deserve...i'll be waiting for some time and will follow the asset to see how it will evolve to be sure it could accomplish my needs since acutally i have another fps horror on the wayfully created from scratch by me I'm working on and i'm really proud of it LOL
    btw my eyes will be set on neofps for the next couple of months so i could have a better idead if this great template could be my next starting template for my next proejcts

Bests

46. MrBeros

MrBeros

I must say, im very happy with NeoFPS.
    There are a few things i miss but it makes fun to work with.
    I cant wait to see the updates for body awareness and AI. :)

47. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey, thanks for saying.

What are the things you miss? I'll make sure they're in the roadmap if possible.

The first AI integration should be coming very soon. Body awareness will be a bit longer, but I'm looking forward to that one too.

48. Mattish

Mattish

Hey! I'm honestly thinking about buying this asset, just discovered it and even the art style is what i'm looking for, here are a few suggestions i'd like to possibly see or talk to you about first (btw get a community discord up for your asset so many people converse there.) number one is, pleaseeeee keep your asset modular, the asset you have in place is perfect for someone starting out, a level, a few weapons, movement etc, people can dive in and have a dig at the code, once you start bogging your asset up with stuff i've seen on the road map (parkour as an , people will find it harder and harder to modify the project, number two is pleaseee don't support unity networking solution, look at how they handled uNet, absolutely terribly, i'd also avoid anything like PUN2, as yes its multiplayer but its not secure, as a suggestion which i'm sure you're waiting for, it would be Mirror networking, its being actively developed with a lot of option's for transport layers, also as its based on the original uNet then the majority of uNet documentation works for Mirror and there's ton's of it! anywhoo i'll be keeping a close eye and waiting for a discord server to hop into :D cheers

lolaswift likes this.
  49. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

He has a discord already

50. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hey @Mattish. You can find the discord server here: https://discord.gg/SUvcqBz

To address your suggestions:
    Absolutely. Once I have enough distinct features such as the parkour, the archery, etc, I'll be setting up FPS style demo scenes that demonstrate how to plug the different modules together to create different styles of FPS. Right now I have plans for old school (doom style), arcadey (fast movement, double jump, dodging, etc), mil sim (slower, more physical feeling, primary/secondary weapon inventory), parkour, space. Most of the art assets will be shared between them, at least at first, but they should all play very differently.

I'll have a look at Mirror, for sure. I actually had NeoFPS kinda working as a multiplayer FPS in uNet last year, but I found that it acted as such a code multiplier it was insane. 5 lines of code in single-player became 120 in multiplayer, and I felt that was shifting a lot of work onto anyone who wanted to develop with NeoFPS so I dropped multiplayer at that point and concentrated on single-player for launch. I do want to see how the new Unity multiplayer develops over the next 6 months+ before commiting to one solution though. The main advantage of that one is that people won't need to purchase a separate asset to get NeoFPS working, but ultimately quality is my top priority. Mirror wasn't on my radar until now, so I'll investigate. Cheers for the suggestion.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.