Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

[Released] Multistory Dungeons 3D art pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mana-Station, Apr 29, 2015.

1. wolfen231

wolfen231

Just wanted to chime in here to give props to the author. Beautiful set. Look forward to your other work.

Mana-Station likes this.
  2. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@wolfen231 Thank you for the kind words! :) Glad you like the set!

wolfen231 likes this.
  3. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

This is an offtopic, but I hope you guys would be interested in seeing my latest work. It is a scene I made for CGMasterAcademy class by Jeremy Huxley who works at Haughty Dog. It was a vegetation study.

A couple more pictures on ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WZrP3
    I decided from the beginning that these would be the natural assets for the new pack. The pack itself is more about architecture, but I hope you agree that it would be great to have AAA quality vegetation and rocks as well :)
    This picture is from UE4, but I hope Unity 2018 will be just as capable (you all saw the beautiful demo).
    Hope you like it and please let me know what you think! :)

TeagansDad and ScourgeGames like this.
  4. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I'm really impressed. These types of natural assets would go wonderfully in an island scene I'm working on. I can't way to see more. Great job.

5. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

This is an excellent video. Thanks for the heads up.

6. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Thank you! :)

7. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Hey everyone! Mobile version is finally out! :)

Please make a backup before updating because a lot has changed this time.

Carefully reworked the secondary UVs for every model - now supports lightmap res of 5 and above (I tried 3 and it still looked ok)!
    Fixed visual artifacts in UV Overlap mode - no leaks with the lightmap resolution of 5 and above.
    All collisions are now convex which is good for physics performance.

Unity still generates warnings in the console about UV overlapping, but you can safely ignore them. It wants nice and wide empty space between the UV isles, but you shouldn't sacrifice texture memory and quality just to make the editor happy.

Please comment and let me know if you face any problems with this version!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    ScourgeGames, wolfen231 and JDrem1 like this.
  8. LunarLabs

LunarLabs

Fantastic Asset, thanks for this. Definately 5 Stars from me.

In regards to DunGen - the pre-configured DunGen Presets, specifically the Doorways:

What exactly is the purpose of these because there are no closed door connectors configured, just these strange pillars with doorway scripts attached to them that will spawn all over the place if you use the included DungeonFlow. I'm not asking for any specific DunGen support here, but am I missing something or is there an included asset that will allow actual doors to be placed procedurally included with the package? or is that something I need to build myself?

Kind Regards,

9. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@LunarLabs Thank you for the kind words!

Those pillars are there to hide the seams between two connected rooms (otherwise we would have an empty wall and a floating arch). They are called "Doorways" because this is the terminology used by DunGen - basically any connector between two rooms is a Doorway. I can see how it could be misleading, but the presets that come with MD generate no closed doors, I decided to leave the implementation of this to the developers because games are very different and there is no way I could've covered every possible design. The actual door models are available in the immediate access in the pack.

Thank you again for supporting my work!
    let me know if you have any further questions, I'll be glad to help!

LunarLabs and ScourgeGames like this.
  10. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

@Mana-Station Shouldn't you be busy creating a new awesome asset? I love the multistories dungeon pack, and, of course, Eternal Temples. I would really love to see more from you (i.e. "take my money!") ;)

Rajmahal and Mana-Station like this.
  11. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

What I did was modify the prefabs so that I added my scripts for the actual doors and such. Some things you might need to do once you generate your dungeons is to go through and remove some scripts and things from the generated scene. I can't recall exactly what it was, but I remember chasing a darn bug for a whole day where my camera was colliding with something and throwing me off, only to discover that there was something unnecessary attached to an object that was doing the colliding.

I've learned a lot from this on procedural generation of levels, and refer back to this asset all the time when I'm doing procedural generation with DunGen.

Mana-Station likes this.
  12. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@ScourgeGames
    Thank you for the kind words! :)
    Yes, I am working on the new pack every single day and I'm very grateful for your patience! It's taking so long because I'm also learning a lot to catch up with the industry's level. I've finished 2 more CGMA courses, started drawing detailed sketches and so on. I'm not making excuses though, we'll definitely get there!

Rajmahal and ScourgeGames like this.
  13. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Great! I've learned a lot from what you have previously built and it inspired me to actually start building some of my own stuff. I also learned a lot about lighting and it's really made a difference in my level designs.

Edit: a word

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  14. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

I'm really glad to hear that! We need more good looking games!

hoodoo and ScourgeGames like this.
  15. hoodoo

hoodoo

Hi @Mana-Station - I purchased Multistory Dungeons and DunGen this month and am now planning to take them for a spin. Apologies if this has already been covered, but are there any instructions or videos showing how to set these 2 assets up to work together? I don't know DunGen yet either, so will need basic instructions about what to do. Much appreciated, and I really like the look of what you have created!

16. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@hoodoo
    Hey! Thank you for purchasing and kind words!
    I strongly suggest taking a look at the documentation that comes with DunGen (Assets -> DunGen -> Readme.pdf). The author put a great deal of love in this read providing clear instructions supplied with pictures.

You will also find a few instructions of how to make MD tiles that work with DunGen in Assets -> Multistory Dungeons -> MD User Manual 1.6.pdf ("DunGen integration" section).

The dungeons pack also comes with DunGen ready presets so you can try building dungeons right away. You can find the demo assets in Assets -> Multistory Dungeons -> Prefabs -> DunGen Presets -> Demo.
    All you have to do is open Window -> DunGen -> Generate Dungeon window, assign a Dungeon Flow from Demo folder and click Generate. Of course, this would make more sense if you take a look at the documentation first :)

Hope that helped!

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    hoodoo, ScourgeGames and Duffer123 like this.
  17. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Yep. It is very easy to put a flow together. The example provided in the Multistory Dungeon asset provides a good reference. Read the documentation. You'll see that it really isn't hard, and the process to create procedural dungeons is right at your fingertips.

It's really fun to create dungeons this way. The premade tiles are a great starting point. After you dabble with those a bit, make your own. That are simple to create .

Duffer123, Mana-Station and hoodoo like this.
  18. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

By the way, a while back I did a little mini afternoon project with Multistory Dungeons, DunGen, and the Invector TPC controller. In this little scene I used a free character I got from Mixamo, and put a little music behind it. The minimap was coded up in about 2 hours. I think the whole project took about 3 hours, including the time taking a sample video and uploading it to YouTube.

19. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Here's a top-down style with the music and sounds as a tribute to Diablo:

Duffer123 and JDrem1 like this.
  20. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

And a slightly different top-down Diablo style, just for fun.

Duffer123 and JDrem1 like this.
  21. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@ScourgeGames
    Thank you very much for sharing the videos! I love what you've done with the atmosphere in the first one! With the character in there it looks like a real game. What happened to the Top-Down versions though? They won't play unfortunately. Would be great to see those too!

JDrem1 likes this.
  22. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Oh dang. I'll fix the top down versions. I think that when I was reorganizing my channel, I screwed something up.

Hold tight, I'll get them up. :)

JDrem1 likes this.
  23. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Ok, I think I fixed them. Let me know if you can't see them.

JDrem1 and blacksun666 like this.
  24. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Oh yeah, I actually remember that Top-Down one with the goblin! I believe you used the default lighting setup from the pack in it. I love what you did with the lighting in the second video! The contrast and cool back light make it look fantastic! I have something to learn here :)
    Thanks again for sharing those! I can see there is much to be improved on my side.

ScourgeGames and JDrem1 like this.
  25. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Well I actually learned a ton of information from the lighting information you posted previously. I think you did the hard part by creating the dungeon pack. I just stitched a few things together. But it shows the possibility of what people can do in just a few short hours.

TeagansDad and Mana-Station like this.
  26. hoodoo

hoodoo

I've been playing around with the preconfigured dungen pieces, and it looks really good!

I have a small nitpicky thing with the way the stair_03 stacks with another stair_03 in the FP Room 08. Just wondering how I should adjust the stairs to eliminate the small gap? In this screenshot you can see the light shining in from the back of the stairs. Thanks!
    upload_2019-1-5_15-36-41.png

Mana-Station likes this.
  27. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

I see :) Yeah, those tutorials helped me with the forest scene. I didn't know that stuff when I was working on the dungeons.
    @hoodoo
    Thank you reporting this! I checked and it turned out to be a modeling bug. I'm gonna fix it in the next update and for now you can scale the bottom stair up a little to cover the gap.

hoodoo likes this.
  28. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

bought too :) it is great asset.

New area will come ?

Happy new year !

Teq.

29. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@tequyla
    Thank you for supporting my work! :)
    Yes, the new area is definitely coming!

Happy new year!

30. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Edit: re-recorded so that Unity window pop-ups display properly. Please forgive any quality issues in the video, I'm not a YouTuber with recording skills. That's something I'll learn in the future.

Hey there folks, I put together a super quick tutorial on how to use the sample presets provided by Mana Station to create procedurally generated dungeons using DunGen. This small tutorial shows how to generate these dungeons at design time, but DunGen fully supports runtime generation as well. If I have time, I may put together some more advanced tutorials about runtime generation, but this one should help get people started. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Mana-Station likes this.
  31. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@ScourgeGames WOW man! That is so cool! Thanks a lot for doing that! :)
    I hope you'll be able to get around the capturing problem. Maybe try OBS Studio? It needs a powerful CPU, but it is free and captures everything.
    Thanks again! I'm gonna share this on FB and twitter.

tequyla likes this.
  32. tequyla

tequyla

Hello Mqnq stqtion,

could you please check my post here: #1198

i use dungen with the asset and i m stuck.

++

33. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Replied to DunGen thread, but I'm gonna duplicate it here, because people ask this from time to time.

Open Window -> Rendering -> Lighting Settings. Disable "Auto Generate" at the bottom of this window and it's gonna stop baking all the time.

If you don't want to use baked lighting at all, you can disable "Realtime Global Illumination" and "Baked Global Illumination" all together. If you do want to use it (for a mobile project for example), at least set Lightmap Resolution at a number between 5 and 15 (it's 40 by default).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    tequyla likes this.
  34. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Yeah, I'm re-recording today. I'll update the video once I've got it figured out.

Mana-Station likes this.
  35. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I uploaded a new video. Someday I'll get better at recording videos. But if anyone has any questions, feel free to ping me. I did a whole bunch of stuff with DunGen and might be able to help.

Mana-Station likes this.
  36. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@ScourgeGames Thank you very much for updating the video! It turned out great! I replaced the post on FB.

ScourgeGames likes this.
  37. tequyla

tequyla

@ScourgeGames yes ! the video is better.

@Mana-Station, thanks for the tool too :)
    Do u plan to share cavern with large room in next release ?

++

ScourgeGames and Mana-Station like this.
  38. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

There is no plans for Multistory Dungeons to support that, but the new pack will probably support caves/caverns. Maybe not with the first release, but I hope - with one of the updates.

ScourgeGames likes this.
  39. MrG

MrG

One of the reviews mentions that the models aren't in the correct for Unity scale...has this been fixed?
    Are the stairs right-sized for a typical Unity humanoid like Ethan or Robot Kyle, meaning the step height and depth is appropriate for their overall size, leg movement, and feet?

40. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@MrG Thanks for your interest in my work!

The scale problem is still there, unfortunately. And the stairs are no exception.

The pack was originally designed for Top-Down games where such "epic" scale is acceptable if not preferable. It became an issue once I added a 1-st person support. I have plans to fix this, but it proved to be quite hard to do on an individual asset level. The easiest way would be scaling an entire level down after it's complete.

Thank you for letting me know about your concerns! I'll keep all this in mind and try to fix the issues as soon as possible.

41. bradbecker

bradbecker

@Mana-Station Any updates on the First Person scale issue? Are you thinking about doing a package for Unity scale like you do for mobile, etc? My vote would be FP Linear PC to start with FP Linear mobile as a second. People using Gamma probably already set things up with the current scale a long time ago.

Mana-Station likes this.
  42. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Thanks for letting me know this is important to you! I've not been able to fix it yet, it turned out to be a rather complicated task. The thing is, all architectural pieces currently fit to 6 by 8 meters grid. This is 6 meters horizontally and 8 meters vertically. To fix the issue, I need to scale everything down to fit 4 meters horizontally. The trouble is, the height in this case turns out to be 5.32, and I need to manually fix half of the models to fit 6 meters vertically without any UV stretching. It is possible, and I'm gonna make it happen, but it's gonna take some time.
    Thanks for your incredible patience, I'll do my best to fix the issue as soon as possible and try to keep you posted on the progress.

43. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know that I'm working on a fix. I've almost finished modeling, I think I need 3 more days for that. Plus, recreating demos will probably take about 7 days, and about 5 days to recreate DunGen and DA presets. Unity review process usually takes about 5 days.

So it's about 3 weeks away.

Thank you very much for your patience so far! I'll do my best to roll out the new version in that time.

SickaGamer and KeithBrown like this.
  44. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Hey guys!

The scale fix is finally ready and submitted for review.

It seems like I horribly underestimated the time I needed to fix it all :)
    Besides remodeling and fixing bugs I also made a lot of small improvements like smoothing curves of the arches and aligning the decoration pieces with the bricks. I also added a few wall pieces, shadow proxies and closed most of the meshes where it was possible. I hope this will make your life easier :)

Thank you very much for your incredible patience and support! I know the update is important and I'm happy to finally bring it to you.

It should be available in a few days in the Store if everything goes well.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  45. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

The scale fix is live! :)

Again, thank you guys for your patience! Please let me know if you face any problems with this version and I will look into it.

Happy designing and keep following your dreams!

46. ben_unity214

ben_unity214

Hi,

I know this is an older topic but I wondered if anybody knew of any community made or official (either paid or free) blueprints for MSD? As in, pre-made rooms/corridors furnished and ready to drop into a game, beyond the 16 or so rooms that are provided as pre-build prefabs?

47. staylixp

staylixp

hi how can export prog to plender thanks

48. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Hey! I believe I answered this via email, but I'm gonna copy it here just in case someone else has the same question.

You can find all the source meshes in FBX format in
    Assets\Multistory Dungeons 2\Meshes\SRC_Architecture
    Assets\Multistory Dungeons 2\Meshes\SRC_Props

Importing into blender is as simple as File > Import > FBX (.fbx)

49. LukeKozakPL

LukeKozakPL

Hi, I have a problem with building levels, why damaged wall corners are shorter than undamaged? They don't match the base end. Is this intentional or is it a mistake? If so, what is the method for building outer damaged corners?

50. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Hey there! There are two sets of those - 4 shorter versions and 4 longer versions.
    Please look for model names Wall_Inner_Corner_01 to _04 and Wall_Outer_Corner_01 to _04.

Here is what they are for:

The left one is "Inner" corner and the right one is "Outer" corner.
    The reason is that walls in Top-Down mode should not stand right on the edge of base mesh (floor) - it looks bad when part of the wall is hanging in the air.

Having said that, I actually did find that place you pointed at on the screenshot to be a bug :) So thank you very much for reporting it! I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
unityunity