Search Unity

[Released] Multistory Dungeons 3D art pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mana-Station, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@rgnrok You should set all shaders to mobile versions and bake light maps. This way I get 60fps on a pretty cheap device.

Rajmahal likes this.
  2. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Agreed... This set works fine on mobile. Most modern devices can work well with standard shader too.

3. rgnrok

rgnrok

Really you are right. And thanks for the tip (I just started to deal with mobile optimization)
    After set mobile shader and baking lightmap I obtained 59 fps, but only with disabled Particle Systems (even if set a mobile shader). With Fire and Fog effects, performance drops to 30-40 fps. Tell me please, there is a way to optimize Particle System?
    P.S. Sorry for my bad english

4. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Not that I'm aware of ... I attach a script that toggles them off on older devices.

5. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Yeah, that's probably the right way to do it.
    @rgnrok You can also try to reduce Emission > Rate in particle systems (especially for torches, candlesticks and big blue fog). I think you can safely remove all "Fog_FX_01" particles from the scene. They add to the atmosphere, but performance is more important. Please let us know if that helped :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  6. rgnrok

rgnrok

After several experiments, I got the following results.
    1) Completely disable fog, dust and halo effects.
    2) Disabled Torch_Fire_FX spark. Reduced emission of Torch to 6, torch-smoke to 1
    3) Candles, even with low emission, give drop 5-10 FPS (probably because a lot of them)
    4) Instead of the fire FX on the candles, you can use mesh (eg sphere) with fire texture. On small phone screen in top-down mode, the visual difference is almost not visible, but performance is better
    This results in around 55 FPS.

Thanks for the help and for the asset. Surely it deserves purchase

7. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@rgnrok Thank you for detailed info! Glad you managed to optimize it this far.
    I'll take this into account and probably include optimized prefabs in the next update.

8. sarum

sarum

just bought your asset during the madness sale ... and i am glad i did :)
    fantastic quality !!!
    the integration with Dungen is really awesome ... it is what decided me in the first place.
    very happy customer over here :)

1.jpg

1b.jpg

1e.jpg

1g.jpg

9. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@sarum Hey, thanks a lot! :) Those screenshots look very cool, great job with post effects!

10. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

I'm thinking of creating maps weekly and sharing with others.. Will it be possible for me to share the map data separately from the binary? I'm thinking the players would already have the game installed and I just want to send them the map data based on iterating over it or if I make a new map? And this data will be only positioning of new rooms (the rooms will be predefined or be distributed as part of a major update)...

Thank you!

11. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Guys, if you still get some errors in 5.4, please update the package - a new fix is available. All mesh colliders are now marked as readable.
    @Mohamed-Anis I'm sorry to see that you are still not getting any answers here. Maybe this little thread is just too specific for your question, which is more about programming rather than any particular art package. Maybe you should try to ask it here: http://answers.unity3d.com/ Way more people would be able to see your question.

12. maidamedia

maidamedia

Could You please tell me how the Dungen integration works? Are there modules/archetypes/dungeon_flows ready for Dungen? Thanks

13. sarum

sarum

yes, there is a bunch of premade Dungen tiles already set up + flow and archetype.. pretty cool :)

14. maidamedia

maidamedia

.... and from your satisfaction it seems it works very well without lot of adjustments!

15. sarum

sarum

it was a very pleasant experience to be able to explore my own procedural dungeon 10mns after buying the asset .. hence the enthusiasm :)
    i think the asset is really well thought out (very pleasant to work with) and really comes to life when you start to add your own props/effects/postFX ...

16. maidamedia

maidamedia

How did you manage performancies? You cannot use occlusion culling and lightmaps as you generate levels at runtime. I tried deactivating all lights in the prefabs and adding just one torch/light to the player, but I am not completely satisfied yet.

17. Artelis

Artelis

Hi, great assets!

I'm trying to figure out how to modify the Light_Intensity animations attached to the flickering light prefabs. I'd like to turn them down. Is this possible? I'm a bit of a Unity noob and can't seem to figure it out.

18. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@Artelis Thanks! Sure you can do that. Select an animated object (a light in this case), then open 'Window > Animation'. Not 'Animator' window, that's different. You will see two buttons (Dopesheet and Curves) at the bottom left of the Animation window. Click on "Curves" and you will be able to edit the animation. Please let me know if you have further questions.

19. dienat

dienat

Doors you show in 1st view demo can be opened?, i mean for instance the door that you can see just when you start demo, i see there are two knockers and would like to know if door can be opened moving the two parts of the door

Rajmahal likes this.
  20. TBruce

TBruce

You would need to create the necessary animation and trigger to accomplish this.

21. dienat

dienat

Yes, i know i would need an animation or joint but wanted to know if mesh is divided for the two parts of the door so that animation can happen

Also i see chests open and closed, but want to know if closed chests can be opened with an animation or if the whole chest is just a single mesh

22. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@dienat
    Doors are set for animation, there are to separate pieces + hinges + frame.
    Chests can bee animated as well. The chests you see in demos are the variations of the same prefab.

23. dienat

dienat

I tried the web demo in first person and i get around 35fps in some areas with a r9 390 graphic card, did you use occlusion culling?

The fog that can be seen in the video is included ?

All textures are cartoon like the web demo or there are textures for more realistic dungeons?

Tried to download ethernal temple asset but it doesnt work, its just for registered users ? not sure if both assets could be joined, seems have the same style

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  24. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@dienat
    Hi, sorry for the delay.

Web demo works bad because of the WebGL technology. And yeah, it is possible that I forgot to build an occlusion :) I'll check. The pack works fine even on mobile devices (after a few in-engine optimizations). If you are developing for PC, you have nothing to worry about. It is based on texture atlases, and the poly count is pretty low.

Yes, the fog is included. All textures are hand-painted. I'm thinking of making realistic textures for the pack, but definitely not in the near future.
    It is probably not a very good idea to mix the Temple and the Dungeons together. Temple's textures are much less cartoony and the setting is different, so I can not safely recommend doing that.

I had problems downloading some other assets in the past - the downloading would stop at 10 to 90% and give an error. But the next day everything was fine again. Maybe just have to wait. If the problem remains, you should probably contact the support.

Hope that helped! :)

25. dienat

dienat

I mean i couldnt download the demo for ethernal temple

26. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Oh, I see. I just checked that and both links work fine on my end. Just in case - those are not direct links (wouldn't work with download managers), Unity doesn't allow those anymore in package description. The links lead to landing pages and you should be able to download files from there. Please let me know if that's the case.

27. dienat

dienat

I got to download it, dont know why the other day didnt work the download button. It seems more realistic but still a bit cartoonish, but i liked too, though not sure if both packages can be used in the same game, though my game is using teleporters so maybe in a new scene. In any case both seem great, it would be nice to have more dungeons.

I have seen candles in both assets, can they be light and unlight?
    Items in the shelves are part of the same mesh or are independent objects that can be grabbed? The different parts of shelves are separated or its all a block? cause i was thinking about if they could be dismounted with a hit

28. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@dienat Thanks! I'm working on a new dungeon right now. Getting inspiration from Lost Ark and The Last Guardian. Will try to make it work well with ET.

Sure. You just turn off the lights and particle systems.

There are individual pieces of everything - little potions, bottles, books etc, as well as empty shelves and cupboards. The presets are made of a single mesh, though - it's more efficient that way. If you want to make stuff fall off the shelves when hit, you can, but you would have to put items there one by one.

Hope that helped :)

wetcircuit likes this.
  29. dienat

dienat

Nice, my recommendation is that you make dungeons that have similar style so that can be combined together in the same game.

30. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Mana-Station ,

When its said this Asset is integrated with Dungen, what does that mean? What level of integration?

31. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@Duffer123
    The pack contains room presets for top-down and 1-st person views and simple DunGen layouts so you would be able to start generating levels right away. It also contains source levels with rooms, which might become useful if you want to modify or build new rooms based on existing ones.
    Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  32. Duffer123

Duffer123

Great. Understood.

33. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

34. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Update 1.5 is available!

I reworked the "1-st person" set, it became more convenient and intuitive, highly compatible with the rest of the pack, so you can use the majority of new prefabs in top-down mode as well. Plus it provides much more features now, there are different window types, hallways, fences, ruined versions of floor parts, base blocks, arches and more. I added more than a 100 new prefabs overall. It became easier to build ceilings now, you can have pretty much any weird room design you want and you will be able to build a good looking ceiling for it.

And of course, I included a new demo level to help you discover new features.
    Download playable demo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d57oowe3ntqyygl/MD_1.5_First-Person_Demo_01.zip

The previous 1-st person set is kept for compatibility, so your existing designs should work as normal, but I recommend making a backup before updating to this version.

Hope you like it! :)

35. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Those are some great looking additions. Thanks!

36. JDrem1

JDrem1

Oh man'a, <- geddit. Dont be showing this.. I cant afford this ...my wallet just had a seizure.

Away, away I say incredible looking dungeon set. :p

Looks very cool though. Nice job. :)

37. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

38. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Hey guys!
    A bug fix is out, please update the pack if you are getting red errors regarding collisions. I also fixed lighting in rooms and tile presets - now they come with updated torches.

JDrem1 likes this.
  39. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Are trapdoors and pits implemented in the current version please?
    Asset looks awesome
    Thanks

40. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@zero_equals_zero Thank you! :) I added a round pit, and square pits are also supported, but still no trapdoors.

zero_equals_zero and JDrem1 like this.
  41. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I just picked up the asset for some prototyping and love the style of the art. I also have your Eternal Temples asset, and I must say they both are great. I would love to see a DunGen setup for Eternal Temples.

On that note, I had never used DunGen before. I bought your asset and DunGen and within 20 minutes I was generating random dungeons that were pretty spiffy.

One more thing you could do in your documentation is to help us non-graphic programmer types with some tips on light settings. I realize I can copy from the scenes you provided, but somehow your setups are soooooo much nicer and having someone who knows the reasons point out some tips would be super great.

Anyway, great asset.

42. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@GamifyTheWorld
    Thank you for supporting my work! :)

That's a good idea. I'm hardly a lighting expert, but I'll see what I can do.

43. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Any help you can offer would be great. Everything I create seems too bright and washed out, or it's too dark to see any detail. You seem to have an eye for the proper settings.

44. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@GamifyTheWorld I'll do my best :)
    If you want to learn something right now, I would recommend watching this:

It's about lighting in UE4, but he talks about the theory a lot, so it still should be very helpful. Plus he uses Farron Keep environment, which I personally can't get enough of :)

45. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I copied the Linear files into my project and In the First Person Prefabs there is a white box in the center of the first hallway and room. Am I missing a texture?

46. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@SoloChristian Those boxes should disappear at runtime, they are there for convenience so you could select an entire room in the editor.

47. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Thanks :) Having fun with the Package. I would love to see an L Bend Hallway for the FPS set in the future if possible.

48. lmakor

lmakor

Hi!

@Mana-Station I recently purchased Multistory Dungeons and wanted to ask you what I can do to improve its performance on mobile devices?
    Currently I removed all the particle effects (and most lights in general)
    I marked all gameobjects as static (to enable static batching)

However I am still getting very many draw calls, actually over 100, in a very basic demo level.
    Do you have any ideas how I can reduce the draw calls?

49. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Mana-Station ,

Does this Asset now support Dungeon Architect?

transat likes this.
  50. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@lmakor
    Thanks for supporting my work!
    When you bake the light, the amount of draw calls drops significantly. I believe, you can leave one directional light in "mixed" mode and let it cast shadows, but make sure the rest of the lights are baked. Also, changing the shaders to mobile versions should improve things.
    Let me know if that helps!

Unity promises 8 real time lights with one shadow caster among them in their Lightweight SRP in 2018 release. And they say it should be out this month:

@Duffer123
    It works well with DA, but there are no official presets. It is still planned and I really want you to have them, I'm just very busy with other stuff at the moment.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Duffer123 likes this.