Search Unity

[Released] Multistory Dungeons 3D art pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mana-Station, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I'm loving this kit. Here are some pics for my upcoming turn-based strategy game (Demon's Rise 2):

skull storm by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Crystal Golem by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Daevian battle by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

I love the depth created by the different levels and fog effects. Really great work.

TeagansDad likes this.
  2. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@Rajmahal Thank you for sharing these! Look really cool, like finished game. I discovered more shots on flickr, glad to see the set is useful for you :).

3. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Hi everyone! I've received a few requests to make tiles and rooms as prefabs, so you can just connect them together, making a process of level creation faster and easier. I think that's a good idea, so I made 30 tiles for Top-Down view and 20 rooms for first-person. In addition to this, the set now supports DunGen, so if you have this plug-in, you can now make levels in a few clicks. I'll also submit a fresh documentation in a few days, explaining the way to make new tiles and rooms to work fine with the existing ones, but the process is pretty intuitive, so you should be able to do that right now, after taking a look at the presets.
    Hope you enjoy the update!

Rajmahal, Tortyfoo, montyfi and 2 others like this.
  4. Smokas

Smokas

Bought asset (v. 1.4) - problems with downloading - it stops around 9%. Did anybody experience such problem?

5. smada-luap

smada-luap

Sounds like you may need to get in touch with Unity support

6. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

That's not ok. I've sent you a PM.
    Guys, if anybody else has the same problem, please let me know. Maybe I need to resubmit the package.

7. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Downloaded perfectly fine for me though.

8. Smokas

Smokas

Downloaded finally :) - details in PM

9. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Good to know! :)

10. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

wetcircuit and TeagansDad like this.
  11. TBruce

TBruce

Hi,

Could you please tell me how to use this asset with DunGen as there is nothing in the documentation and it does not really seem that straightforward to me?

Also, the First-person Demo does nothing. When I run the game I am unable to move. I have tried both keyboard and mouse. Even the jump key (space) does nothing. I verified the input in the input manager to make sure that I am using the correct keys.

12. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@Mavina, DunGen support was added in version 1.4 and you require Unity 5.3.4 to get access to it. The older versions do not have DunGen rooms. All DunGen related prefabs are located in Multistory Dungeons > Prefabs > DunGen Presets. If you do not have this folder, than you are definitely using an older version.

Yes, I used Unity's standard character for 1-st person demo to make a WebPlayer build. But publishers must remove all standard assets before submitting a package, that's why it doesn't work. You can fix this by importing standard character back (Assets > Import Package > Characters). You can also grab the standard assets from the Asset Store.

Hope that helped! Please let me know if you have any further problems or questions.

13. TBruce

TBruce

Thanks for clarifying that. I was still on 5.3.2.

On the first person demo, is there any way I can get it to work for a PC build?

14. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

You just need to chose "PC" in the build settings. Do you have any problems making a build? If it works in the editor it should work in a build.

15. TBruce

TBruce

That's just it, it does not work in the editor. I have imported the standard assets twice.

As for choosing "PC" settings, I already tried that and the "Switch Platform" button is never enabled.

upload_2016-7-16_11-45-24.png

16. TBruce

TBruce

OK, I figured out the problem. I had to disable/delete the default camera. The first person controller has its own camera.

17. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Good! I should probably put some explanation in the documentation regarding the problem.

As for making a build, you need to install "Windows build support" or any other platform support from your Unity installation file ("UnityDownloadAssistant"). It will let you chose a module at the beginning of the installation.

18. TBruce

TBruce

This works great with DunGen. Took me a liitle to figure it out but generating random dungeons at runtime with Multistory Dungeons is awesome.

BTW, does the Eternal Temple 3D Art Pack work well with Multistory Dungeons? Also do you have plans to make it work with DunGen?

19. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Thank you! :)

Eternal Temple will get it's own dungeon, I think. It's visual style is quite different from Multistory Dungeons. The Temple is closer to tropical environment and the Dungeons are a mixture of gothic and romanesque (I believe) styles. I don't think you should let players just walk straight between them. For completely different locations it is OK, though.

Yes, this is planned :)

Smokas likes this.
  20. thedailyasset

thedailyasset

21. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@thedailyasset, Thank you for an amazing review! We need more cool stuff like detailed, independent reviews at one place. Good job!

22. PeteXZ

PeteXZ

@Mana-Station, thanks for this pack, I've just bought it and the quality looks excellent. I've just run into a slight difficulty, though. I started using the DunGen integration and it seemed to work well. I then decided to replace the prefabs with the versions that are designed for a linear colour space. The colours all adjusted themselves and while I have to spend some more time configuring the tonemapper, I think the results will be good.

The problem came when I tried to re-run DunGen to generate some more layouts. Replacing the prefabs seems to have broken a reference because now nothing is generated and a message on the console says:

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponentsInChildren[Doorway] (Boolean includeInactive) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineGameObjectBindings.gen.cs:142)
    DunGen.DungeonArchetypeValidator.IsValid () (at Assets/DunGen/Code/Utility/DungeonArchetypeValidator.cs:67)
    DunGen.DungeonGenerator.OuterGenerate () (at Assets/DunGen/Code/DungeonGenerator.cs:154)
    DunGen.DungeonGenerator.Generate () (at Assets/DunGen/Code/DungeonGenerator.cs:131)
    DunGen.Editor.DungeonGeneratorWindow.GenerateDungeon () (at Assets/DunGen/Code/Editor/Windows/DungeonGeneratorWindow.cs:51)
    DunGen.Editor.DungeonGeneratorWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/DunGen/Code/Editor/Windows/DungeonGeneratorWindow.cs:34)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Reproducing this should be quite simple:
    1. Create a new project; install DunGen and Multistory Dungeons.
    2. Replace the prefabs with the linear colour space versions, as described in the Multistory manual.
    3. Open the DunGen 'generate dungeon' window.
    4. Select the first person demo dungeon as the flow.
    5. Click generate.
    6. The above message should be displayed on the console, and no dungeon layout will be created.
    Unfortunately I'm not very experienced with Unity so it would probably take me a long time to work out what is going wrong. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Pete

23. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

When I unpacked the PBR textures a folder was over-written (or something) and I lost some of the prefabs.
    Maybe close out of Unity and unpack the PBR textures externally, then merge the folders by hand…?

24. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@PeteXZ Sorry for the delay, I had problems with my internet connection.
    Thanks for reporting this! I've probably overlooked the problem, I didn't try to use dungen after replacing prefabs. I will investigate the problem right now and get back here as soon as I found a solution.

25. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

OK, It seems like I forgot to include some DunGen files in Linear prefabs archive. My fault. I'll submit a fixed version in a couple of minutes. I hope it will pass the review process quickly and kindly ask you to be patient.

26. PeteXZ

PeteXZ

Hi @Mana-Station, thank you for producing a fix so quickly! I'll look forward to trying it out once it appears on the asset store.

27. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@PeteXZ The hotfix is now available! :)

28. PeteXZ

PeteXZ

Thank you! I should be able to try it out sometime over the next few days, and I'll let you know how I get on.

29. PeteXZ

PeteXZ

Working perfectly now. :)

30. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Great! Hope you enjoy your time working with the set!

31. mzr

mzr

Amazing work, looks just like Diablo 3.
    But I was wondering if anyone has used it on a mobile device. The screenshots from Demon's Rise 2 look like they're from a tablet version. Any performance issues?
    Another thing - I already have 3dforge interior, exterior and sewer kits and was wondering if anyone tried using multistory dungeons with any of those, or is it too cartoony to match them?

32. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@mzr Thank you! Yeah, the set is heavily inspired by Diablo 3 :)
    I did a mobile test and was able to achieve 60 fps after some optimization (setting texture compression, changing materials to mobile and baking light maps). But this was just an empty level. I hope somebody will be able to comment on performance in a real project.

33. smada-luap

smada-luap

The textures don't quite gel with 3DForge's but with a bit of retouching you can get them so they don't clash so much visually. As for merging this set with the 3DForge kits, they're on different scales so won't work directly.

34. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

35. mzr

mzr

@Mana-Station @smada-luap Thanks for these quick responses guys.
    I guess I'll have to buy it now.
    It would be great to actually do something with all those amazing assets though ;]

36. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@mzr No problem! But I don't think you should buy it just because a publisher and community were nice to you. If you don't need the asset, please don't feel sorry to spend your money on something more useful! :)

37. mzr

mzr

@Mana-Station Yeah, the problem is it looks so good and it's on sale :D
    I really have a problem with these madness sales, so many great things, not enough time to use them all.
    I guess I have a few more days to think this through.
    Anyway, keep up the good work!

38. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Quite understandable :D
    Thank you!

39. mzr

mzr

So. I got it. And it looks as cool as in the videos. If you happen to have dungen (I do) you pretty much get an infinite amount of levels.
    Now you only have to add some gameplay and you have a game that looks pretty much like Diablo 3 for a few bucks.
    How much money Blizzard used to make Diablo 3? Millions? And it took them few years?
    That's the power of Unity.
    Obviously making a fully polished game like any blizzard game will take a long time, but the fact that you can get so close so easy is truly mindblowing.

40. giotta

giotta

I have this error with version 5.4 of unity :This MeshCollider requires the mesh to be marked as readable in order to be usable with the given transform.
    I think only with prefab with scale -1 on x.
    How can I fix ?
    Thx

41. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Game development is definitely one of those activities where the last 20% of the work takes 80% of the total time.

It's a cliche, but it's absolutely true when it comes to making games. :)

@Mana-Station: what grid settings did you design the models to snap to?

42. TBruce

TBruce

Add the following assets to make it easier to get even closer to a Diablo 3 like RPG

DunGen - Random dungeon/room generator
    Resource Bubble - Diablo 3 like resource globes
    C# Inventory - uGUI - RPG inventory manager
    RPG & MMO UI 3 for UGUI - RPG UI interface

43. mzr

mzr

Yeah, polishing is indeed a daunting task, but hey - it wouldn't give you satisfaction if it was easy;]

Nice!

44. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

I definitely agree! :)
    @TeagansDad The default settings where Move X, Y, Z = 1. Scale doesn't matter, and rotation is 15, 45, or 90. Don't forget to click "Snap All Axes" button after adding a prefab to the Scene! I believe there are some plugins for snapping too...
    @giotta I tried to scale a few prefabs to -1 by X, but didn't get any error. Maybe try to turn on "Read/Write Enabled" checkbox in the import setting for the mesh that gives you the error. If it doesn't work, please give me more info about your actions that lead to the error (step by step log would be great).

45. giotta

giotta

Attached Files:

• mesh.jpg
      mesh.jpg
      File size:
      515.8 KB
      Views:
  46. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@giotta I see... I'm trying to reproduce the bug now. It seems like something's broken in demo level and not in the prefabs, which is good.

47. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

I've finally found and fixed the problem. Now uploading the fixed version.

If you want to fix it right now, go to 'meshes > colliders' folder, select all, check "Read/Wright Enabled" and click apply. You'll also need to do this for 'Meshes > 1.1 > Stair_Bottom_Decor_03'.
    Some other minor errors will be fixed with the update. Thanks for your patience!

48. giotta

giotta

Really thx. Best feedback for you

49. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

The fix is now available! Please update the pack.

50. rgnrok

rgnrok

Excellent asset. But do you have any nearest plans optimized for mobile devices. Playing an empty Demo Top-Down scene with texture compression on my Nexus 5 gives an average of 13 fps. On PC all OK

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016