Search Unity

[Released] Multiple object tracking & Framing Camera

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rainbirth, May 15, 2015.

1. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Hello!

I just published a new asset in the asset store. It's a camera that tracks objects and keeps them in the camera view.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10554

Right now I'm working in an update that will be sent to store soon you can check it working here:

The features are described in the video but mainly:
    • You can enable or disable objects to track.
    • You can start from any position and the camera will adjust.
    • You can control how fast / slow the camera interpolates to a good position.
    • You can interpolate linearly or using lerp.
    • You can orbit objects while framing them in viewport. Perfect for fighting & presentation situations.
    • You can have a Side Lateral framing for 2 objects in order to use it for fighting games.
    • You get a shaking feature.

Regards,

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    boysenberry likes this.
  2. Tropobor

Tropobor

This seems to quite match something I'm looking for...
    Before buying, could it be possible to have access to the current literature?
    Does this work with orthographic cam ?
    This asset reminds me of another great older one (that is still running by the way) :
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7260
    Except yours is in 3d ...
    A little more infos about the future plans with this project would be also greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

3. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Hello, Thanks for your comment,

Right now it doesn't support orthographic view. but I'm working on it already. will be ready for further updates.

Regarding docs, It's quite few because the tool is as simple as adding scripts to your objects and one to the camera and it will track it automatically, no more setup.

Right now I'm working on adding the 2D view setup + orthographic work. it might be ready soon.

4. Tropobor

Tropobor

Well, ok, great ! This is indeed everything I need. But still... how soon ?
    No hurry, no stress, :), just to know for my own organization.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  5. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

I guess in less than a month it will be ready. ;)

6. Tropobor

Tropobor

Ok, I am deeply interested! Meanwhile I will try as it is.
    Should be extremely powerful using this with Constraints.

7. TheBeev

TheBeev

Does this camera have the ability to constrain how close the camera zooms in and how far it zooms out?

I'm looking for a camera that works similar to Smash Bros, where it tracks the players but won't fully zoom out when a player is knocked far out off of the stage.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  8. Tropobor

Tropobor

Is it possible with these scripts to have simple dynamic access to the orientation of the camera ? : e.g: North, East, South, West...
    And also various dynamic angles of camera tilt ?
    Thanks,

9. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Yes, it's possible. although if the units keep moving they'll get out of focus.

10. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

I guess you still can get it with camera.main.transform.left / right / forward / back/ up / down.

Please explain it more if you need something different.

11. Tropobor

Tropobor

Well... Could you please show an example ?
    I was expecting something like: I could parent a camera + your scripts and simply control the parent object with different rotation angles, but this does not work, your camera is (a bit) stubborn ;) Another way would be to rotate the target itself but I don't know how to access it ( not enough coding skills here, hence my interest in your code :cool:

12. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Well the camera is not made to rotate (this can be added in an update) the main purpose of this camera is to keep objects in target mainly used for top down / side view games (smash bros, zelda like, etc).

If you want to rotate around the objects then It's needed to update the script.

Is this what you want? to rotate around the object?

Or you want the camera to follow one object?

13. Tropobor

Tropobor

Yes, I would like to have the opportunity (at runtime) to change the camera view angles :)
    For now, as soon I hit play the camera zooms in and out targeting a group of selectable objects, which is great... but rotate view is completely locked.
    In other words: with your multitargeting abilities being able at runtime, to choose between differents predefined tilt and orbit views.
    it is not Zelda, nor Crash bandicoot ... a non-existing mix of both... o_O ...(I may be wrong because everything has already been done somehow, somewhere....)

14. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Guys finished the update, now sending to Asset Store, sorry for the big delay but I've been out for long.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  15. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Now video works.

16. Tropobor

Tropobor

I finally found some time to test this update. Simple and superb piece, very helpful and clear. Thanks, it helps a lot.

17. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

thanks very much, if you feel the asset is good and useful please add a review in the AssetStore it will help me a lot ;) :)

18. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi there, can the objects be tracked automatically when they enter a certain distance from the player? i.e. we set a list of objects which can be tracked, and when they approach the player the camera will automatically track them? Thanks

19. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Yes this is a feature I can add to new version. :)

20. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Great! I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  21. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Hi Guys, just to let you know the package is on self-sale 75% Off!! grab it while is hot ;)

22. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

23. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

I've updated the pack, now there is a button to avoid the smoothing when changing direction and you get a fixed camera without any type of rotation. Useful for some kind of games that don't want the focus movement.

Eater_Games likes this.
  24. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

These are the new features I'm working on.

Anything you would like to have? I plan a boost of the pack to get it out of forever sale :D

25. LTHendrix

LTHendrix

Hello, I am making a Power Stone-like arena fighter. I'm assuming this asset is good for that

I noticed in Power Stone if both characters are either on the far left or right side of the area, the camera will orbit around so that you can see what's happening on other other side of the area.

Can that be done with code in this asset?

Thanks

26. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

I'm preparing a new update of the camera asset to be released soon. I'll note this into my backlog and try to put it in.

Thanks for your feedback!! :)

27. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Seems to me that the rotation happens when they're near a wall, and also I see the camera trends to maintain a "lateral view" from the characters, that's why they're tried to kept always from lateral view. I'll look into this in more detail, but I think is a good use case.