Search Unity

[RELEASED] MULTIPLAYER SURVIVAL TEMPLATE

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Nitugard, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cathienna

Cathienna

This template is really good from what i've seen so far and it's by far one of the best survival templates on the market!

However, it's missing the tutorial parts, i see there's a documentation rar file, but it doesnt describe how to setup an item, new player or something along these lines.

I would like a full tutorial on how to setup a new Scene with all the different features you support. (or video tutorials)

Keep up the good work! :D

Nitugard likes this.
  2. Nitugard

Nitugard

@mewter
    Thank you! :)

Very soon I'll create a tutorial which will explain how to setup your own scene. In the future I plan to add editor extensions which would allow anyone to change core parts of this template with just few clicks.

Talking about this I am not sure how well editor extensions go with templates?

I am also thinking about replacing models with new, better, lowpoly models. This would be great for android.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  3. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Hi.

Would you like to know if you have support for mobiles?

Thanks and best regards

4. Nitugard

Nitugard

Hi,
    Currently there is no support for mobile platforms, since models are not optimized. Mobile support will be added in next update in which models will be reworked as well as some other things.
    Regards,

5. Misiek08

Misiek08

Hello!
    I have two things to say:
    1) DO NOT remove server authority, I'm begging you - that's very important for many people.
    2) Link in PDF target's Youtube's "Your dashboard", so I see my movies. If you have channel with videos - please update PDFs link to channel.

Beside this - great asset and the only problem is stutter in networking, but it can be worked around with some extrapolation, so the asset is just great (the multiplayer part makes it so great, because code is prepared for networking).

6. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

thanks for the info

7. johny256

johny256

Add please Weapopn M4,Pistol, Bow,Atd

Firesoft likes this.
  8. Nitugard

Nitugard

Thank you. I will fix mistakes you mentioned. Laggy player movement is simple to fix as you mentioned and I always somehow forget to improve it, hopefully this won't happen in future.

Most likely I won't be removing authority, instead I'll focus on improving and creating really clean scripts with great structure.

There is already bow :D
    But I'll probably add some new weapons in future updates, I don't know if it will be modern age weapons since I am not sure if it will fit in the current game style.

9. Cathienna

Cathienna

You could add a Crossbow with shooting settings to define how fast it will "reload" and how much "ammo" it has, this way people who want modern genre can edit this how they see fit and it will also fit by default to "medieval" genre or "Survival" as most people say.

Side note: It would be great if you could add a "Character Creation" menu or a "Selection of Characters" when joining the server for the first time. It would give more "purpose" to the template as Survival games normally have male and female characters.

Possibly Tree falling aswell? :)

10. Nitugard

Nitugard

@mewter

I'll implement simple crossbow since this is by far most requested feature.
    Character creation is really nice idea but I am not sure if I should keep adding stuff like this since I feel like this is just extra stuff that may not be needed for certain projects. Instead I think I should focus on improving current asset.

Tree falling when cut is cool, and it is something which I already did in the past and removed :D

11. Firesoft

Firesoft

I really would like an
    • Multiplayer shooter example

12. Cathienna

Cathienna

I've been trying to add a different character and i'm having issues with the animation (it works in other projects i've done) but i can't seem to make it work. Also the "Character Selection" is actually quite normal regarding this template theme as in basically all games you either select male or female characters. You don't necessarily have to adjustments to body, ears, face, etc... but a complete character for either Male or Female, the adjustments to the character can be added individually by developers themselves.

I have many suggestions, but i'm not going to force feed you features that can be added easily by others.

I'm taking a break from this Template until there's some Tutorial Videos/text guides, i've spent three days figuring out things and i can't seem to get the grasp on how you can implement features within the Network syncing.

Looking forward to see the upcoming updates ;)

Keep up the good work! :D

13. johny256

johny256

ADD AI

14. Nitugard

Nitugard

Great idea, it is something I was thinking about.
    Using this template to create shooter multiplayer game is great, since it will use server authority. I was also thinking about implementing server time reconstruction in order to have smooth shooting gameplay.
    Also I would have to release it as a separate asset, not sure if anyone will like this :D
    Well I guess you would have this already available in the asset store if I just had extra hands to make models. I am currently thinking what should I do about models.

I guess you are right about selection screen.
    Well if you have more suggestions I would love to hear them and possibly implement them.
    I'm sorry about tutorials, if you need any help just ask me and I'll gladly explain.

I plan to this, not sure if it will be included in this update.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Firesoft likes this.
  15. errandfox

errandfox

Dont worry about models or anything like that, everyone will have their own already for their game. The main thing is the scripts and how its all put together. Even character selection - I imagine that would be something like 'set prefab for local player to spawn in' done in the lobby stage. The value of this template is in the unet setup for me.

Firesoft and Nitugard like this.
  16. Firesoft

Firesoft

I have not problem with a separate asset if it has an Upgrade button haha :p

Nitugard likes this.
  17. Nitugard

Nitugard

I really like everything you said and I agree with you.

Firesoft likes this.
  18. MrGky93

MrGky93

hi
    it is possible to create rooms 1 2 3 ... with max 100 players?
    And only server can create rooms ?
    Its this possible ?

19. Nitugard

Nitugard

Hi it is possible but it requires paying for such service. I think you can't set larger values than 20 per room.
    If you want server to only be able to create rooms just remove hosting panel from client game.

20. MrGky93

MrGky93

hi
    but when you have a own dedicated server you have more than 20 per room ?

21. John3D

John3D

Good to know. Your Survival template looks nice!

22. Nitugard

Nitugard

Thank you so much! It really means much to me.

Yes, in that case you are allowed to set higher numbers but you would then need custom matchmaking (master server).

23. MrGky93

MrGky93

its possible to use
    Master Server Framework
    or do you have master server menu with source to using it on a linux vps server? ?

24. Nitugard

Nitugard

I don't know what framework is that, but it should work with script modifications. I don't have source code for the master server it is part of the unity networking.

25. Legend458

Legend458

Quickly tested the new update, and it works really well!

Nitugard likes this.
  26. Nitugard

Nitugard

Here is the picture of new weapon test which should be finished soon. I am still wondering if this should be released as a separate asset...
    Also what would be good amount of guns? Three, four? And which one?
    bettergun.PNG
    I am aiming now for more cartoonish style. I think it looks really nice.
    I'd love to hear feedback!

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  27. Nitugard

Nitugard

Slowly improving local player. Now aiming system is way better!!! Before you needed to change whole animation in order to have player correctly aiming, now you can change position and rotation of local hands inside of unity. Now I can create hands sway effect.
    aiming.PNG

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  28. Ullukai

Ullukai

Looks good !
    Are you going to add anything like: mining, forestry, carpentry, fishing, smithing, armormaking, mounts, cooking or some other skills ? also a leveling system would be nice where you need so many skills before you can start to make a hammer that sort of thing.
    id also like to chat ingame and i think that is a must along with a trading system

29. CollosalChris

CollosalChris

Hey, does this template include procedural terrain creation or is the island static?

30. Nitugard

Nitugard

Mining is kinda already implemented. All the stuff you mentioned would be great to be included and it may happen in the future.
    Island is static.

31. Tegleg

Tegleg

just got this to help understand a few things with the game im making and its pretty good

for future updates you mention vehicles, any chance of realistic car controller integration?

thanks

32. Nitugard

Nitugard

Hi,
    That should not happen, make sure you didn't do something which was not in the video. Also if you could explain with more details about what is happening it will help my detect what is wrong.
    I'm not sure about realistic vehicles, but I'll add vehicles for sure in future updates.

33. Ullukai

Ullukai

I just got this and it is Awesome !
    Can't wait for the updates !
    Thanks for this !

Nitugard likes this.
  34. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

This looks amazing @OneDragutin :)

I love all the work you have done. I haven't bought this system yet but I plan on buying it at some point just to learn your Multiplayer Implementation :) I currently use Ultimate Survival mixed with MapMagic, Voxeland, Tenkoku, Sumuino Water for some amazing results.

I was wanting to suggest to you to keep an open mind when designing AI because many people currently use ICE Creature Control (or other AI systems) so that they already have AI. Just focus on the important stuff first, but some basic AI for this is essential though.

Again, well done :)

Nitugard likes this.
  35. Nitugard

Nitugard

@jessejarvis
    Thank you!
    This is something I plan to update and improve over this year, working on it almost full time. I know that game feels empty without creatures running around so I'll be implementing AI soon.

36. ProtoPoly

ProtoPoly

I would like to see a video tutorial about setting up a scene from a clean project. for how nice the demo scene and all, most people will not be using the demo scene but will want to do their own scene and ui.

37. Nitugard

Nitugard

I'll do video about setting up a demo scene in a few days.

38. Legend458

Legend458

When is the new update arriving?

39. Nitugard

Nitugard

I can't say for sure, but it probably won't be this month. I'm sorry.
    I'm having some problems in my life and I am unable to get my hands on the project. I truly hope I will continue working full time very soon.

40. Legend458

Legend458

Ok. I hope you get the issues resolved!

Nitugard likes this.
  41. Legend458

Legend458

How is the update going? Could you make some tutorials on how to add more buildable objects and tools to the kit?

42. Nitugard

Nitugard

I'm developing a new simpler version of this template for a next update in a style of a minecraft. Currently I'm finishing terrain generation after which I'll simplify scripts and project and models.

Reason behind this is really simple. People love simple projects and it is not too hard for beginners to continue developing it.

I'll probably also include mobile controls and other things mentioned in this thread. Plan is to finish this update before the end of the next month.

I was also going to do a lot of tutorials but since I see a lot of upcoming changes which will be made to the project. Tutorials would be then useless. But I still provide support via email or skype.

Now I would love to hear few nice words about minecraft! :D

LoDx, Rockwall33 and Legend458 like this.
  43. Legend458

Legend458

Sounds interesting. Is the kit still going to be multiplayer?

44. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Looks really good. I'm considering getting this for an upcoming project. Just a few questions.

For matchmaking, does this use the Unity Multiplayer lobby and matchmaking service? Does this also use the Unity Multiplayer relay service?

I know you currently don't have AI implemented for things like animals, but with your template would it be as simple as writing my own AI script and attaching it to my animal prefab, and then instantiate/spawn on the server like I would in any other UNET game? Or is there any inherent problems I may run into?

Is applying damage to a player from another object (like an animal attacking the player, etc) as easy as calling a TakeDamage method on the player object?

45. Nitugard

Nitugard

It is using unity machmaking service and their relay.

For AI that approach would work. There should be no problems.

Applying damage is slightly more complex.
    Each damagable objecte have IDamagable interface, this interface contains methods like ApplyDamage.

I would never remove multiplayer.

46. Polemus

Polemus

Was a bit hesitant paying $30 for this. and i am not disappointed.

A noob here, and learning unity was the easy part of game programming, what i was lacking was the fundamentals in structuring the game. This asset covers so many questions i had.

Overall aesthetics is not important, i love the fact that everything that was built is built for re-usability, its clean, and well commented. it is not cluttered with 100's of optional extras, it literally gives you a framework to work from.

I can make 100% sense of all the code.

Thanx for this awesome asset.

Its a great starting point for people considering a game programming hobby.

47. Kalle801

Kalle801

is this unet based or something, or can i host my own dedicated server and start multiplayer with many many ppl ?

48. Polemus

Polemus

I stand to be corrected, but this uses UNET for networking. by the looks of things it uses unity's matchmaker to find hosts, but that does not mean you have to go the matchmaker route.

49. Reiner

Reiner

looks greate but please no cartoon style

50. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi

You can check out a let's play review of this kit here

Multiplayer was a bit jérky though with the other player was moving. We also could not get someone from America to join our UK server.

Any ideas why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.