Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] MPMP - cross platform video solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by _monoflow, Jan 25, 2016.

1. wxxhrt

wxxhrt

Hi, I'm using the demo package on OSX to play back 6 separate 5 second h264 mp4's, each is on a separate quad and I'm Unity has slowed to around 45-60fps. Is there anything I can do to get higher Unity framerates? I've tried mjpeg codec with similar results. Thanks

2. _monoflow

_monoflow

Hi, what GPU do you have? As MPMP uses the GPU mainly this has a huge impact on the performance.

3. wxxhrt

wxxhrt

It's a 2gb nvidia gt750m

4. _monoflow

_monoflow

I would not expect miracles from this GPU ;) I'll expect that you will see a real performance boost when using a card in the range of a GTX 960-980 .

5. wxxhrt

wxxhrt

Ah wow! Ok that rules out using MPMP for this project- thanks for your quick replies and having a demo version available :)

6. wxxhrt

wxxhrt

Hi again, just trying to write some very simple code to play back a clip on a texture- could you give me a pointer in the right direction- I thought the following would work but no luck with it.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using monoflow;
    5. public class MPMPTester : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     MPMP mpmp;
    8.     public string videoPath;
    9.     // Use this for initialization
    10.     void Start () {
    12.         string thePath = Application.dataPath + "/StreamingAssets/" + videoPath;
    14.         mpmp = new MPMP ();
    15.         mpmp.videoPath = thePath;
    16.         mpmp.SetVideoMaterial(this.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterial);
    17.         mpmp.texturePropertyName = "_MainTex";
    18.         mpmp.SetUpdateFrequency (60f);
    19.         mpmp.Load();
    20.         mpmp.looping = true;
    21.         mpmp.Play();
    23.     }
    25.     // Update is called once per frame
    26.     void Update () {
    28.     }
    29. }

7. _monoflow

_monoflow

Best is to look into the MPMP_APITest script. to get a picture how to use the scripting API. You should work with the OnInit callback to make sure that the native part is proper initialized before loading something at Start/Awake . And when creating a dynamic instance of MPMP you should use AddComponent<MPMP>() ( new() doesn't work with classes that based on Monobehaviours)

8. wxxhrt

wxxhrt

Ah I see, thanks!

9. GoRiLLa

GoRiLLa

Great asset! Will buy it without question if it works as advertised over the next couple of weeks.

Just wanted to let you know that streeaming m3u8 files seems to work on Windows, but not OSX when using Unity 5.3.5 with El Capitan OS. After loading the videoPath the Load and Play buttons in your test scene and MPMP script blinks back and forth.

Test stream:
    http://vevoplaylist-live.hls.adaptive.level3.net/vevo/ch1/appleman.m3u8

BTW: Is it possible to stream from youtube on all platforms or is that Windows with VLC-player only?

Thanks!

10. _monoflow

_monoflow

El Capitan has some problems so i can't recommend it at the moment. The youtube player is a VLC only feature but you can buy a third party asses that should work in combination with MPMP for the Youtube url resolving on the other platforms : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29704

11. AllonXR

AllonXR

Hi, I'm using the trial version and I managed to get MPMP working quite nicely with GearVR. However, it is unclear to me how I should set things up for cardboard. I have a top/bottom stereo video,but I cannot get them separatedper eye for cardboard. How should I set this up?

12. opertoonist

opertoonist

Hello—I've been having great luck with the trial and I'm wondering if you're planning to support tvOS in the future? Thanks.

13. _monoflow

_monoflow

Sorry, but at the moment this has not high priority. Can't make any promises.

14. GarbageCat

GarbageCat

the sample with watermark does not work with WebGL (unity 5.4.03f)
    I'm getting "error: use of undeclared identifier 'SetCallbackFunction' " while trying to compile it

15. _monoflow

_monoflow

Sorry, but the WebGL part comes only with the full version because there is no watermark in it. You can contact me directly so i can sent you the files.

16. GarbageCat

GarbageCat

its alright, bought it but I 'm still getting an error in WebGL
    even with the plugin

error: conflicting types for 'SetCallbackFunction'
    extern void DEFAULT_CALL SetCallbackFunction(int32_t, Il2CppMethodPointer);

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  17. AllonXR

AllonXR

Any ideas? Anyone?

18. _monoflow

_monoflow

Hi,
    you should go under player settings/other settings and enable virtual reality. Then you have on each camera in your scene the additional option to select to which eye the camera should render.

19. KarelA

KarelA

Hello.

I am trying out the demo version of this plugin and importing it into new project and i get an error.

PlayerSettings Validation: Requested build target group (15) doesn't exist; #define symbols for scripting won't be added.
    UnityEditor.PlayerSettings:SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(BuildTargetGroup, String)
    monoflow.MPMP_Editor_Utils:MountScriptingDefineSymbolToAllTargets(String) (at Assets/MPMP/Scripts/Editor/MPMP_Editor_Utils.cs:97)
    monoflow.VLCInit:.cctor() (at Assets/MPMP/Scripts/Editor/MPMP_VLC_Utils.cs:360)
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:SetLoadedEditorAssemblies(Assembly[])

Any ideas? I am using 5.4.0f3
    Thanks

20. _monoflow

_monoflow

Hi,
    this is a harmless message. There seems to be a bug in Unity that causes this message when importing or in other rare conditions. It's only editor related.

21. GarbageCat

GarbageCat

_monoflow could you test if MPMP works for you in WebGL inside an empty project?
    even with the full version it doesn't for me

22. _monoflow

_monoflow

I reported a bug to Unity. With Unity 5.3.4 it works but with 5.4.0 i can't publish for WebGL. The il2cpp engine stops.:mad: Thanks for the report.

23. Ajr_1

Ajr_1

Hi, I'm testing this out as a replacement to VTP for my app. Quick question before I go too far - can it load video files from the iOS camera roll using the assets-library:// scheme?

Thanks

24. _monoflow

_monoflow

Hi,
    i'm not familiar with this and don't know if this works without a problem. You probably will need to convert your address with some other framework method to a normal file path. Best is to test this with the demo verson.

25. KarelA

KarelA

Unfortunately this error message pops up every time i try to run the sample scene and the video is failing to play. Not sure what i am missing here. Tried several times to create new project and re-import the demo plugin. Always get the same result. And no one other here seems to have this issue. Would like to find a solution for this before making a purchase.

Thanks.

26. _monoflow

_monoflow

change the line 97 in MPMP_Editor_Utils to this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. try {
    3.   PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(_group, string.Join(";", _defineSymbols.ToArray()));
    4. }catch (Exception){ }

27. KarelA

KarelA

Still the same result. For just in case i attached the screenshot for the changed lines in order to make sure if i did it correctly. Double tapping on to the error brings me there.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      171.3 KB
      Views:
  28. _monoflow

_monoflow

Then i would comment out the whole line (also in line 117) . If you do this and want to switch between the VLC and Media Foundation backend you have to add or remove the scripting define Symbol 'VLC_BACKEND' by hand under Playersettings/Other settings/Scripting Define Symbols.

What OS are you on and what publish platforms do you have installed in Unity?

29. KarelA

KarelA

I am on Windows10 but my app must run on Windows7, 8 & 10

30. _monoflow

_monoflow

Here is a fix to this issue: on line 90/107 just add an additional check. As the VLC_BACKEND define symbol only matters on Windows we don't need to iterate over the whole enum.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  if (_group == BuildTargetGroup.Unknown) continue;
    2. if (_group > BuildTargetGroup.Standalone) continue;//additional check
    (I realized that this behaviour depends on your installed build platforms so not every user faces this issue)

31. OhmGym

OhmGym

Since it#s the first time we need Video playback in our Projects I'm looking for a Video asset with a simple solution for Video with alpha channel. All the solutions with custom shaders I read about in the Forums seem quite cumbersome to me. Does MPMP provide a easier way for Videos with Alpha channel?

32. _monoflow

_monoflow

Hi,
    MPMP doesn't support video codecs with alpha , only a shader based solution.

33. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I just purchased MPMP and I'm incredibly happy with it.

I am however wondering whether if is possible to use an AudioSource component to play the audio, instead of playing the audio directly from the clip.

I was very surprised to find that the documentation doesn't mention this at all.

34. KarelA

KarelA

Thank you. This worked. I purchased the asset and i am happy with it.

Out of curiosity. I also tested on Android with the sample video that was provided. For some reason i get the white screen. Are you able to tell what might be the issue here?
    Thanks.

35. thomaswollbekk

thomaswollbekk

Hi! :)

Any ideas why I have no audio when running on iOS 9 and OSX 10.11.1? Everything works fine on Windows. (Except a crash on windows 10 (VLC) when I have looping set to true, but I circumvented this by making my own looping method)

The videos runs fine with audio on my iPad and iPhone using the standard video player for iOS. (H.264, AAC, mp4)

Oh and I almost forgot. On Windows 10 everything works fine in the editor, but after I make a standalone build no videos will load even though they are still located in StreamingAssets.

Cheers!

36. Elfteiroh

Elfteiroh

Hello!
    I seem to have trouble loading the plugin on some Android devices, mainly ones that aren't compatible with OpenGLESv3, only with OpenGLESv2. There is an error saying stuff like
    "dlopen("/mnt/asec/com.studio.game-2/lib/libMPMP.so") failed: dlopen failed: could not load library "libGLESv3.so" needed by "libMPMP.so"; caused by "libGLESv3.so" is too small to be an ELF executable"
    followed by
    "Unable to find MPMP" then "DllNotFoundException: MPMP"
    each time the code try to call it.
    It works "fine" with other devices (I have a weird bug where the video start playing fine but after 4-5 seconds, it suddenly start rendering bigger than the texture, but it may be the video codecs or something), and it just stop working everywhere if I force OpenGLESv2 in the player settings. This may be a demo-only bug though, I still haven't got permission from my boss to buy the plugin.
    Thanks, the plugin is really great by the way, it was very easy to setup for iOS! :)

37. _monoflow

_monoflow

Hi,
    there seems to be some backward compatibility issues with OpenGL 3.0 on older hardware. I will make a second Android dll that is only OpenGL 2.0.

Elfteiroh likes this.
  38. Elfteiroh

Elfteiroh

Oh wow! Thank you very much! The quick reply and good news is very appreciated. :)

39. _monoflow

_monoflow

Hi,
    you can't use an audio source component as the audio comes directly from the media framework and so bypass Unity.

40. _monoflow

_monoflow

There seems to be a bug in Unity 5.4.0 and using a RawImage on iOS.
    The uvRect is now wrong and you will see only a part of the video texture. I made some test and could find a pattern how you can calculate the right uvRect:

1920x1080 => uvRect.w : 1.07 (2048/1920) , uvRect.h: 1.89 (2048/1080)

1280x720 => uvRect.w : 1.6 (2048/1280) , uvRect.h: 1.42 (1024/720)

640x480 => uvRect.w : 1.6 (1024/640) , uvRect.h: 1.066 (512/480)

So you need to divide the power of two value where the divisor fits in by the texture dimension part.

(Under Unity 5.3.4 there is no issue.)
    I reported a bug to Unity.

41. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

That's a shame. Especially for internet streaming content.

42. fred-eai

fred-eai

Wonderful asset!

Works great with 360 degree video content, but I'm wondering what needs to be done for 180 degree video content.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to switch between different quality streams when playing a YouTube video?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  43. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,

i have 2 video And Both Video have same Duration like 3.2. Also i made 2 Button so when i click on first Button then first Video play and click on second one Then second one play y But I want Play both Video With same Duration like
    When i load First Video and seek at 1.5 and i press second Video Then second one play With 1.5 Duration. Its Work But many time it's Crash.

please Help me.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  44. mimminito

mimminito

Hi,

I have tried adding this in and no luck. The video is still causing issues. Our videos are 1370x768, so I am using the following code:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. Rect uvr=_rawImage.uvRect;
    4. #ifUNITY_IOS&&!UNITY_EDITOR
    5. uvr.width = (float)(2048f / 1370f);
    6. uvr.height = (float)(1024f / 768f);
    7. #endif
    9. uvr.y=1f;
    10. uvr.height*=-1f;
    12. _rawImage.uvRect=uvr;

45. _monoflow

_monoflow

As MPMP provides a Texture2D it's more a question of your mesh and the right uv so that you can display the video texture the right way. For a 180 degree you can use a Hemisphere for example. But the uv mapping of your mesh could be an issue. For my examples i used a sphere that i created with Primitive Pro (which i highly recommend). With this asset you can get most of the meshes you need with the right uvs .

46. _monoflow

_monoflow

The WebGL publish should be working again in the next official Unity 5.4.1f1 version. With the latest 5.4.0p4 version (identical to 5.4.1f1) it works already. :)

47. fred-eai

fred-eai

Thanks! I did make a hemisphere with modo, but didn't finish with the uv mapping. Glad I was on the right path. :)

On the edit, is it possible to switch between different quality streams when playing a YouTube video?

Also, I noticed that my scene hangs (and never loads) depending on the YouTube video I try to load. Anyone have experience with this issue? Happening with canvas > rawImage.

48. guselm

guselm

Hi!

I'm looking at the mpmp DemoSetup, and around 1:15 you add Quad to videoHost in the mpmp instance. There is no such thing on the version I downloaded.

Is videoMaterial the same? I can't drag my Quad to that box...

EDIT:

Also, around 0:40 you drag a New Material as Element 0 to the Quad, what is that?

49. _monoflow

_monoflow

Hi, the video is a bit outdated. I changed this so you don't have to specify a videohost anymore. You just set the videoMaterial. You can add this material to your meshes that should display the video texture. (RawImage components get the videoTexture directly via the MPMP_ugui_Element script)

guselm likes this.
  50. guselm

guselm

I'm sorry for being dumb. This is the first time I'm using Unity.

But I don't understand what you mean... I just want to do exactly as the layout you have on the demo video. Is there any updated guide?

unityunity