Search Unity

[Released] MoveEn: automatic animation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ykravchik, Dec 25, 2017.

1. ArkadiuszR

ArkadiuszR

Any updates on horizon? :/ Or is not worth how you "say"

2. ykravchik

ykravchik

What updates do you have in mind?

3. montenom

montenom

could this support something like an octopus or tentacle monster, or something more natural?

4. ykravchik

ykravchik

Even though you could try it for something else, I am supporting only robots related issues and features.

5. maxray

maxray

Yes, I will buy your humanoid version with hand functions, go ahead! I think generic human aspect will be popular than this by far, robot game is not popular anyway, haha

6. ykravchik

ykravchik

Great! I will post it here when its ready

JLO, ProtoPottyGames and DepreCats like this.
  7. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Wow! This asset is a gem! What a great little ik system. Instantly became my 2nd favorite on the store. (I have several ik solutions..lol)
    Ditto on the humanoid with hand functionality. That would be very nice indeed. ;)

I do have a question though. I'm trying to get the rig I built with Moveen to run as quickly as possible (1:1 with the target would be ideal if possible) and at the same time not bounce around so much when it stops traveling. I suppose I should also be asking how I might adjust it so that the legs don't lag so far behind the body if traveling at a high velocity. Any tips on how I might best sort out those few things would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance, and again for putting this little beauty together! :)

EDIT: So I've figured out the 1:1 bit. Adding the body to the script seems to have done the trick. Just need to pinpoint where all this bouncing back and forth of the comfort zones (and/or other foot gizmos) is coming from. :)

Another Edit: It seems that setting the target to the body field in the Stepper5 script as well as making some adjustments to step speed settings has (for the most part..) solved my issue. Huzzah! :D
    There is still a bit of bouncy stuff going on but it's far less wild. Should be able to work something out from here at least.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    overthere likes this.
  8. JLO

JLO

@ykravchik I bought Moveen during the holiday sale (I didn't even know it existed until then) and I have to say it really is a hidden gem. I hope it doesn't stay hidden and I would love to see Moveen gain more users.

In my opinion I think potential buyers see Moveen as an asset strictly meant for "Mech" game development, and don't realize that it's actually a much deeper system for procedural animations. I was actually going to pass on this asset too, thinking to myself, " I'm not making a mech game, so why would I buy this asset? It would be completely useless to me". Luckily for you and me I got pass the Mech concept, and I finally saw that there was more to this asset than meets the eye.

That said, looking through the forum I've seen users request features more focused on developing humanoid and animal type rigs. I too would like to let you know that I am also interested in those kind of features. I was amazed by the the humanoid and cheetah animations on your twitter page (as well as the other animation clips and YouTube videos) those really pushed me in the direction to buying your asset (as I saw the possibilities of what your tool was capable of doing and/or achieving).

Lastly, I would also be more than happy to buy a humanoid/animal version of Moveen. One of the best ways to support a developer is by buying their products, so I hope I can continue to support your awesome work with not only kind words but with money too :D!

9. Dishes

Dishes

Hello,

I've been looking into a more elegant solution for something I'm working on, and MoveEn seemed like it but there are just a couple questions that I was hoping someone could answer before I bought it.

Seen some talk here about Humanoid/Bipedal rigs for a future pack. Is it not currently possible to create humanoid legs? Not bothered with a full rig.

And is it plausible that you could swap out or change an actor's legs completely in runtime?

Thanks

10. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

I tried the bipedal rig with a human a few days ago for fun and the results were surprisingly good. I don't think it would take a terrible amount for it to be a natural solution. (Also quite hilarious when trying a human with the quadruped rig.) XD

11. clagrens

clagrens

Novallyx likes this.
  12. kilik128

kilik128

love this concept auto animation

13. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Can MoveEn work for robots that can walk on walls and change its orientations during movement? (Think spiders or geckos moving from flat ground to walls to ceiling)

14. chrisk

chrisk

The support for humanoid will be really awesome. We can get rid of walking, running, strafe animation altogether with Moveen. Traditionally, we need the same set of animation for Squat as well and it will be a huge save.

Once it's released, I'm sure we can tweak for light, or heavy style and I'm really excited just thinking.
    I'm not sure if we can give some more characteristics such as women (knees bent inward) and so on.

Is there anything you can share with us currently?

Cheers!

15. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

Hi,
    I have your asset as a must have tool after I watched your youtube videos since early last year, and when the sale happened late last year, naturally I grabbed the opportunity.

As for the roadmap for future features of this amazing product, is there any plan to refactor the core code to take advantage of the Unity's Jobs system? Also perhaps more documentations on the APIs along with it?

I am currently using this asset to do some game prototyping. So far I'm liking it a lot. Thank you for this wonderful asset.

Cheers,

16. KristianF

KristianF

What is the performance impact of moveen?

- lets say you have 100 or 200 quadrupeds moving/standing around
    - is there a way to reduce performance impact for units that are not moving currently (but doing some idling)?

Novallyx likes this.
  17. Jimmyalenius

Jimmyalenius

Is there a written guide how to setup a model in moveen somewhere?

18. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Is this still supported?

19. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Sadly @tgamorris76 I think either the asset died or the dev did. (jk...I have no idea but it has been quite a long time)
    Thankfully though it still works in current versions of Unity and it's unique enough to still be functional as a pretty neat tool.
    Afaik there still isn't anything quite like it available in the store. Shame it's (seemingly) no longer being worked on.

20. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

21. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Yup @tgamorris76. can confirm working in Unity version 2019.3.13f1 with a total of zero troubles.

22. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Thanks for info, i think i might get it.

ProtoPottyGames likes this.
  23. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Did you pick it up? Is it still functioning?

24. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Yes i did, it functioned fine. I havnt used it in newer versions of unity but can confirm it was working with 2018 LTS
    and upgraded to 2019.1 fine. Havnt played with it since

25. kutamo

kutamo

I'm using it in 2021.1.4f1, and it's still working really well.

26. Jimmyalenius

Jimmyalenius

I try to give my models more weight (slow and heavy) by change the speed on different parts. Is there a better way to do it?

27. ykravchik

ykravchik

0.83 is released. Some editor performance fixes plus cosmetics. More to come

28. ykravchik

ykravchik

The easiest way to do it is to increase Step2::undockPause. It will give time for the model to kind of prepare for a step; that will emphasize it and make it 'matter'. Look into models in the scene with different mechs, there are some slow and heavy

ProtoPottyGames likes this.
  29. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

An extremely pleasant surprise to see an update for this after such a long time. Very very cool man. Thanks! :D

ykravchik likes this.
  30. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Hello, I need answers for my previous question, is MoveEn usable on robots that walk on walls? Or is the direction of the grounding fixed?

31. ykravchik

ykravchik

Hi! Currently, the 'up' direction is fixed, so the answer is no

Gekigengar likes this.
  32. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Just bought this asset and honestly this is a feature I would really love to see!

33. Susihiisi

Susihiisi

Being able to define the up direction would be really nice for spherical planets and stuff.

Edit: Though is there in theory anything preventing one from modifying the code to do that? Just got the asset and haven't been able to investigate much yet.

34. Spikebor

Spikebor

Hi @ykravchik, I tested your MoveEn and has problem with Input system
    -a project without new input system : work fine
    -another project with new input system, and in Player Setting set to use Both (new and old input systems) : can't move the bots with AWSD, strangely enough, even I check the debug move forward it still doesn't move.
    Can you suspect what can cause this ?

35. Spikebor

Spikebor

To add : in working project, I can just come to Target > disable MoveControl > enable Bridle, then I can use the bridle to move the bot.
    In the other project the same procedure doesn't make the bot move.
    So I don't think it's related to the input systems, but what can be ?

36. Spikebor

Spikebor

For other users experiencing my issue : there's possible an Editor plugin (which can simulate physics in Edit mode) messed up your Physics setting. Come and set it state back up, mostly just set back the Gravity and enable Auto Simulation.
    I do not have many Editor plugins do this, so I guess that Grabbit. Uninstall it now, what a mess.

37. ykravchik

ykravchik

Ohh, I don’t even dare to guess what bugs can be due to the plugin for the editor

38. TheRealcake

TheRealcake

@ykravchik, I'm having great difficulty creating a biped with 'Skel Limb 1' type legs. There seems to be an issue with the surface detector. When I setup the legs the gizmo that I assume is displaying the surface detector snaps to the new foot which is what I would expect. However, that gizmo dissapears after hitting play and the biped falls through the floor as if there is a problem with the surface detector. Then from there on out that gizmo never shows up again, even in the scene editor. But the script is still attached as if it's functioning normal. I have setup other bipeds with 'Skel Limb 2' type legs just fine and I'm quite pleased with them. Also, the default bipeds when created through "Right-click -> Moveen biped" have the old 'Surface Detector 1' attached by default.

A tutorial for bipeds with two bones would be desperately appreciated. As it stands the documentation is extremely limited (as I'm sure you're aware) and the tutorials are a bit outdated. If there were working prefabs with various bone and leg counts that would solve virtually every problem I've been having with this asset so far. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying it.

39. ykravchik

ykravchik

@RealcakeTheBoss
    I am usually just using existing models as a reference. For example, there are biped 'SkelLimb1' models in the scene "Difference skels and sizes" (battle mech fast, battle mech heavy). And almost the same models in the "Top-down physical"

Also, I'll take note of your remarks - where the lib should be refactored/updated.

40. ykravchik

ykravchik

You can just put Moveen's target game object into your target object and add the necessary rotation. That way your target object can have Z for forward (for example), and Moveen will still use X for its forward.

41. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

doesn't this work in fixedUpdate or LateUpdate so we can use it additively on animations?

42. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

dev, this asset is nice (11/10!!)

however, may we please get a few more tutorials/sample scenes:

1. How do we properly instantiate your robots/mech object/skeletons at runtime, as prefabs in a scene, would be very nice. I am getting some inconsistent behaviour and just want to be more aware of what settings to have disabled when spawning mech objects in, it seems like I should temporarily ensure "Focus Grabber" script is toggled off for all, before spawning anything new in, and then re-enable it for specified instance, but any other tips would be very useful.

2. How should we use our moveEn objects/mechs with AI?
    more nav mesh tutorials would be nice, to guide new users on best ideas or procedure, any tiny scenes

3. how to make manage terrain types, how to make surfaces traversable, so mech doesnt fall through floor (I see one video where you set up terrain layer, but when you import your asset, it is difficult to understand that this must be done, or how scripts reference layers to control which surface can be traverse or moved on or not.

4. video/sample on how to set up ragdoll "get up" animation if possible, for knock down mech (would be nice)

5. video/sample, on how to enable, and disable moveEN animation, to mix and match with our animation, or additive blending (fixedupdate or late update additive similar to final IK or other assets)

6. third party support?? idk

anyway, great work Dev, these are only suggestions...... but the terrain setup definitely needs some kind of guidance.

thanks again.

43. ykravchik

ykravchik

Moveen works in both FixedUpdate and LateUpdate.
    FixedUpdate is needed to handle physical movements.
    LateUpdate is needed to handle joints.
    If you want to order some execution between Moveen's components, you can do so by extending IOrderableTick.

Update - is not used by Moveen.

44. ykravchik

ykravchik

1. focus grabber is there only for testing purposes, just to easily switch between models. I don't suppose you'd use it in your game. You could also look at the "MoveEn/Scenes/Performance" scene. It contains MoveenPerformanceTest script where robots are instantiated at runtime.
    2. you just control Moveen's target with your AI system and that's it. Moveen just tries to follow the lead defined by your system.
    3. there are MoveenSurfaceDetector1 and MoveenSurfaceDetector2. The first one is maximally simple, to give a glimpse of what actually should be done. The second one - is full of optimizations and is more production ready.
    4. it is a work-in-progress thing. It is done and tested, but I haven't managed yet how to make it doable "not by me".
    5. it is, too, done, but not "delivered". I planned to implement a usable/applicable approach in the scope of some game project because it is hard to implement it without a use case. But had no such possibility yet.
    6. what do you mean?

Yes, I am aware that more tutorials and examples are in demand.

45. ComradElm0

ComradElm0

Quick question, is it possible to lift one of the legs for something like a stomping attack?

46. ykravchik

ykravchik

It is not easy to do right now. But it is a good feature request

47. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

dear dev, your asset is amazing.

please, i need some minor help,

another asset im using changes physics setting and breaks when I try to set it different,

new physics setting changes: Gravity X:0, Y: -29.43, Z: 0

your asset is fine tuned to operate on Gravity X:0, Y: -9.81, Z: 0

my question: how to change source code, to accept new modified -29.43 (i think, new downward force), so mech can not sink into floor as much or move or walk. any tip is appreciated !!

48. ykravchik

ykravchik

Hey @unitygnoob008 ! There is Stepper5.g field where you can modify the g constant. Though it is hidden from the inspector (hence you can edit it only via some script) - it is done because I never tested changes to it

the_unity_saga likes this.
  49. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

Thank you

anyway for blending your system with built-in unity animation?

do we need legacy or anim controller?

when I disable moveen the object breaks apart, but if attached with skinned bone, I assume we can just toggle on and off?

how can we create custom moveEn animations to add to blend tree or movement?

50. CharminHusky

CharminHusky

hey, dev, thanks for you work, there are some question when i am using it:
    - i try to generate random leg for a mech body, but the generated leg foot always on a wrong pos, how can i reset the leg when i generate it to a new body