Search Unity

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. movra

movra

batate likes this.
  2. BillO

BillO

batate and movra -- Thanks for the information. I'll apply these settings and try to create a Mac build.

3. Recon03

Recon03

I don't understand what are you talking about.

You buy the asset; the asset is the figure and clothes; you can change the figure included with the morphs to make your own variation; this is how it works. There is no such thing as "your own"; even the clothes are supplied by them; and there is no word about when we will see the toolkit to actually make compatible clothes.

@darshie1976 why are you answering me, I wanted the author to.... you seem lost on any question.... anyways.

4. celebrus

celebrus

Good luck getting a response from the author. Also, Darshie's response was accurate.

5. Plutoman

Plutoman

@darshie1976

Bad apples exist - refunds are often given, too. They said prior that they are working on fixes. That is software development. I understand that they aren't repeatedly saying, every page, and every day, that they are working on fixes, but I don't believe that is needed. They aren't selling this for huge amounts of money.

Thus, from a financial perspective, they have every incentive in the book to get content creation tools, to get fixes done. I trust the process, because I trust that these people want to keep their jobs. :) I have bought most of their products so far, though the outfits are merely for prototyping rather than final.

Threatening to go to your credit card company? There's absolutely no reason for that when you can simply go to Unity and force a refund through them if Morph3D does not get back to you on it. There is really never a reason to threaten a charge-back in the asset store.

Not to mention, it's thanksgiving!

Not calling you out at all, reporting issues I would guess is very much welcome!

Just saying, for everyone that is not happy - if you want prompt fixes - the best thing to do is probably get a refund and go use UMA. There, you can spend the time and put in the fixes yourself. Using UMA was quite frustrating for me, so your mileage may vary. I have respect for their development, but it's not what I want to use. They have everything open source, and you can adapt your own clothing to the models. It's a lot of work, but if you're on a time crisis and need to release, that is my heartfelt suggestion.

For here, I would try to give good, honest, constructive criticism, framed from a positive perspective. That doesn't mean it is positive feedback, but it should be constructive, not hostile.

6. Teila

Teila

They also seem to not be responding quickly to emails. I see lots of busy people here answering questions every day, just once a day is enough. Or they should dedicate a person to community issues. It would help them a great deal.

montyfi likes this.
  7. Recon03

Recon03

no it wasn't he didn't understand the question at all..... That's fine if he don't respond more of the reason not to buy this asset ... Best of luck.

8. Plutoman

Plutoman

That's fair. That could probably help dramatically, for sure.

9. hopeful

hopeful

FWIW, it looks like they've added a little glitz to their store site. (I was just checking to see if they'd set up their own forum yet. I suspect that's coming ... but I could be wrong.)

10. celebrus

celebrus

@hopeful What have they added to the store? Just wondering if I am missing something? I was last on it over the weekend for the sale.

11. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but it's just more site graphics. (?)

12. Teila

Teila

I like separate forums, easy to find answers. However, I dislike them because they hide the problems elsewhere. I find in some cases I was able to get quicker responses on the Unity forums, especially for assets with lots of issues. It must be scary as a developer to have problems aired on the same site used to sell their stuff. Worse than a review in some ways.

kurotatsu likes this.
  13. celebrus

celebrus

They can always set up a subreddit. That way they don't have to manage the forum software. Also perhaps they can have a section in the daz3d forum.

blockimperium likes this.
  14. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Not sure what are you trying to obtain...anyway; good luck getting responses, I am lost on any questions anyway. Glad that you get all.

15. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

And I opened my post mentioning that I totally understand eventual delays...but this has been going on for almost a week.

I don't expect them saying every day what are they doing; but I expect someone to say something...anything....show that you are actually behind your product; and not only when you get the money for something that you know is broken.

On Steam, when a game does not work; the game is pulled offline...what is the point in buying something that is broken? An asset is exactly the same; if they found a bug they don't have to pull it from the store, but if you know that there are issues, and you are not planning to fix it anytime soon, then the asset should not be sold. Am I too strict or have I utter respect for my customers?

Thanksgiving was last week; monday I was back at my desk; and same goes for anyone in USA, unless they took days off...I give them Monday and Tue, but today is Thursday and yet, I see no posts, no email in my inbox, nothing.

I don't believe that expecting an answer is an attack; I did spend in their store about 100 dollars; getting all that was on sale; I am not the guy that got the free asset and complain; just to clarify my position. I do not expect a party because I am a customer; just a mail to say " hey man, sorry; we got issues here; but we will get to you ASAP".

A refund is the last resort for me; it means that I cross a company forever; and that's not what I want to do, unless I am forced to. You understand that if I have to make a choice about something beyond the editor fun, and prototyping, I have to be sure that I get help on fixes. Otherwise I am better off with something else.

16. BillO

BillO

Thanks to batate and movra, I was able to create a Mac build following their instructions. Overall, my experience with Morph 3D assets within Unity has been excellent. I'm using the MCS Male with Espionage. The clothing fits perfectly and the quality is very good. With the build process now sorted out, I'm ready to begin further testing with the other Morph 3D assets.

movra likes this.
  17. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

If someone does not understand, the guilt is usually equally shared among the one that does not understand the question, and the one that does not know how to ask a question.

Reasons to not buy this product (from someone that bought ALL but one item from their store)
    - The asset is not allowing Unity to build a stand alone application (multiple users)
    - The figure has a very high poly count; and when you use low LOD, the quality deteriorate significantly, vs any other asset on the store, which was correctly re-topo to have a good look.
    - Can't make your own clothes (yet)

Reason to buy it:
    - Nice looking, professionally made
    - Runtime API to morph and change clothes

18. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I did try this but I still get errors while building:

Just full price female figure, no clothes and a plane.

On a side note; isnt' the M3D_DLL the object that actually hold the data related to morphs and such? Shouldn't be included in the project when you build? Otherwise the code calls for the morphs value chages how can actually work?

19. movra

movra

upload_2015-12-4_11-24-12.png

hopeful likes this.
  20. movra

movra

The female pack is an older build than the male pack. Besides the wrong DLL Import settings in the female pack, the female creature texture pack is incomplete. You can also see the file size difference between the two packs on the asset store.

upload_2015-12-4_11-43-26.png

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  21. celebrus

celebrus

Some information that may be helpful for others (from support on their website).
    Hey there Kartal,
    Thank you for the suggestion, indeed, revealing the version number is a good idea and I can see how that would be helpful to Morph 3D customers. Rest assured that the MCS content that you've recently acquired is the latest and greatest version. With that said, I've passed your suggestion on to the web team.

Regarding your other matter, we do plan on keeping Morph 3D products as current and up to date as the Unity store. You are right, there are assets available on Unity that aren't available on the Morph site. However, I suspect that in the next week or so there will be no latency between the to sites ...

Thanks again for you feedback!

Regards,

Berk

22. AshyB

AshyB

I bought the MCS Male for $50 (next day it went on sale lol, bad luck) and so far I've really been enjoying it. I've built my own character creation system and UI, rather than just read in all the morphs from the asset file (I didn't yet want players access to the ork, bat .etc modifiers). The whole process took me a few days (noob) and now I can customize the character completely and run around in game just fine. I even bought some of the other clothing packs.

There is 2 shaders errors when building to PC but I'm sure I can fix those later and they don't seem to affect the character in anyway just yet.

There is something I would like to help/address at the moment and that is the following unity error:

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'CIhair' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.

UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IDragHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:269)UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IDragHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:73)UnityEngine.UI.Slider.OnDrag (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Slider.cs:347)UnityEngine.UI.Slider.UpdateDrag (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData, UnityEngine.Camera cam) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Slider.cs:313)UnityEngine.UI.Slider.set_normalizedValue (Single value) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Slider.cs:74)UnityEngine.UI.Slider.set_value (Single value) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Slider.cs:60)UnityEngine.UI.Slider.Set (Single input) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Slider.cs:220)UnityEngine.UI.Slider.Set (Single input, Boolean sendCallback) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Slider.cs:235)UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1[System.Single].Invoke (Single arg0) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent_1.cs:54)UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent.cs:766)UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent.cs:626)UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEvent.cs:149)ash_CharacterCreation.ChangeHair () (at Assets/My Assets/Scripts/ash_CharacterCreation.cs:263)MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager.AddContentPack (.ContentPack content_pack)MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager.LoadContentPackToFigure (.ContentPack content_pack)MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager.LoadHairFromContentPackToFigure (MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CIhair hair)Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'CIhair' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.

It happens when using the following code:

Code (csharp):
    2.     public void ChangeHair()
    3.     {
    4.         // get all the content packs (hair, clothes .ect) that is in the model
    5.         ContentPack[] packs = assets.m3dCharacterManager.GetAllContentPacks();
    7.         Debug.Log("packs size: " + packs.Length.ToString());
    9.         // go through all the content in the packs
    10.         foreach (ContentPack obj in packs)
    11.         {
    12.             Debug.Log("packs in model: " + obj.name);
    14.             // go through all the hair content we selected to use
    15.             foreach (ash_Morph3dCharacterData.hairContentPackClass hair in morph3dBackgroundService.assets.hair)
    16.             {
    17.                 // only check if there is an actual prefab. This is because hair[0] will be "none" as in bald so we want to ignore that one
    18.                 if (hair.prefab)
    19.                 {
    20.                     // now if the content pack in the model is the same hair as the one we specified in the editor then we can remove it from the model
    21.                     if (obj.name == hair.prefab.name)
    22.                     {
    23.                         // remove
    24.                         assets.m3dCharacterManager.UnloadContentPackFromFigure(obj);
    25.                         assets.m3dCharacterManager.RemoveContentPackFromModel(obj.RootGameObject, true);
    26.                     }
    27.                 }
    28.             }
    29.         }
    31.         // add the new hair if the prefab exists
    32.         if (morph3dBackgroundService.assets.hair[(int)ui.hair.slider.GetComponent<Slider>().value].prefab)
    33.         {
    34.             // create a new content pack and assign the prefab from our inspector script
    35.             ContentPack pack = new ContentPack(morph3dBackgroundService.assets.hair[(int)ui.hair.slider.GetComponent<Slider>().value].prefab);
    37.             // add the pack to the model
    38.             assets.m3dCharacterManager.AddContentPack(pack);
    39.         }
    41.         ui.hair.hairText.GetComponent<Text>().text = morph3dBackgroundService.assets.hair[(int)ui.hair.slider.GetComponent<Slider>().value].name;
    42.     }
    I thought it might be my code, but it seems to be with their inspector script. If during play I click on the character, expand the "Hair" foldout and play around, then I get no errors at all. So I thought I might be removing the hair content before the inspector list had a chance to update (some OnInspectorRepaint kind of issue). But If I force the foldout bool to true so it always displays, or try moving the list declaration outside the foldout it still happens. If I expand the hair fold out then click on a different object it still happens (I guess cos the foldout would reset to false until I click on it again?). It just doesn't happen when looking at it.

I'll keep looking into it. Hopefully one of the devs will know what I'm talking about :)

23. EDarkness

EDarkness

Is there a way to "reset" the clothes on the model? After the clothes get adjusted they start clipping through the skin and won't "reset" with the new size of the model. Makes it difficult to change clothes on the fly.

24. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Do you plan on synchronizing genders? There is currently no pack on the asset store where I can get the same shirt or uniform or hat for male *and* female.

25. AshyB

AshyB

I'm think it already does that. I see no reason why I can't use the same hat content pack on either model.

26. AshyB

AshyB

I just noticed the ApplyClothingChanges() method. Try that?

27. AshyB

AshyB

Think I just solved the problem I was having, had to call;

Code (csharp):
    1. assets.m3dCharacterManager.ReloadHairFromFigure();
    At the end of the remove method section. So it becomes;

Code (csharp):
    1.                    // now if the content pack in the model is the same hair as the one we specified in the editor then we can remove it from the model
    2.                     if (obj.name == hair.prefab.name)
    3.                     {
    4.                         // remove
    5.                         assets.m3dCharacterManager.UnloadContentPackFromFigure(obj);
    6.                         assets.m3dCharacterManager.RemoveContentPackFromModel(obj.RootGameObject, true);
    7.                         assets.m3dCharacterManager.ReloadHairFromFigure();
    8.                     }

28. AshyB

AshyB

Just noticed when adding clothing (and probably hair for that matter) you can't do it in Start(). It appears the morph stuff needs to run at least one update pass before you can add anything to it.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is wondering why their gear doesn't show up.

hopeful likes this.
  29. berk-maketafi

berk-maketafi

Hey folks,
    It's been awhile since we've chimed in over here and it's clear to me that our presence was missed! Our apologies with that, all I can really say is sometimes we have our hands quite full. Thanks to all of you who have helped each other get oriented with MCS in our absence, that's definitely one of the cooler things that forums bring out in people.

Speaking of staying busy, you may have noticed a few new additions (regular product releases!) to the Morph and MCS ecosystem. Also, I'm glad you all caught that we've offer our products on the Morph 3D store and that so many of you were able to get in on the sale. Hopefully none of you missed it! If you did, be sure to sign up for our newsletter and you'll be notified of future deals and updates.

Speaking of updates, we are in the process of reviewing MCS 1.0r2 and it addresses quite a few bugs that you all have found, as well as a few others, and generally makes the MCS system more robust and usable. Additionally, we've been working on a series of video tutorials on how to use MCS- Morph3d.com will host these tutorials as well a dedicated forum so we can better organize, track, help and discuss the items that are most important to you all.

Finally, the question that we receive the most often is "Can I make my own content work for MCS?" Today, the answer is "No, sorry." but early next year that should be changing to "Yeah sure, here's how...". We know how important this is to you so many of you and as such it is our top priority- so, if you are a developer interested in that functionality be sure to specifically register with our "MCS developer program" to stay informed!

At any rate, a big thank you to everyone for your support and commitment to the Morph 3D and it's MCS products!

The Morph 3D Team

EDarkness, Plutoman and hopeful like this.
  30. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

31. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

I tried this out and find that the LOD is too high at the top LOD and too low at the second from the top. On my Laptop (Nvidia G550M) I get less than 25fps most of the time when animating then at the top LOD (ok I have loads of Chrome tabs open but even so) Mixamo characters play many times more smoothly. And my target is mobile!

Obviously things are better at the second LOD, but then the characters look pretty rubbish, nothing like as nice as Mixamo's. So I think these need something *between* the top LOD and the second one... something that looks high quality but will still animate smoothly on lower end devices...

Also I noticed that when using some blendshape combinations (particularly things like the teen ones plus the child ones where the resulting mesh is substantially different to the initial rig proportions), the rig doesn't scale correctly and your characters end up with super long fingers, distorted arms etc...

I'd say that because of that issue and the fact there is very limited documentation on how you can integrate this, like how do you access the API (is there one) etc, this is a Beta/RC product really, not worth the current asking price...

32. EDarkness

EDarkness

Morph3D, I think you guys need a wiki to organize information on how to get things done with the system both installing it and via code. There just isn't a whole lot of documentation on the system. I want to add this to my code, and it took a bit of experimenting to figure that out. A wiki or some place where information can be organized would allow people to have a way to learn how to integrate it into their own game.

Just a thought.

Also, are you guys working on a better plan for handling clothes and how it clips through the skin? I'm having a serious problem with this during gameplay.

berk-maketafi likes this.
  33. AshyB

AshyB

Is the clipping happening after building? Or just during play in the editor?

34. AshyB

AshyB

Yeah it's definitely not for mobile, but I'm cool with that. Honestly I don't think you can have any where near the amount of morphs and definition without all the polys. That's why even at the lowest lod it's still 50k plus more than the next asset on the store. Doesn't seem to affect my frame rate at all though.

There are several morphs that you can't use in conjunction tho. Like the mouth ones. I made a random button in my ui so players could quickly make something unique. I had to limit all the sliders to 20% otherwise the head would invert like a shotgun to the face.

An API would be nice, even just vc tool tips.

35. Plutoman

Plutoman

The best solution would really be a tessellated setup, where tessellation is used to increase the detail when morphs need it, but I imagine that would be a tremendously complex solution to set up.

Otherwise, to get detailed morphs that can truly change, you do need polys, as @AshyB said. Maybe it can be reduced somewhat better, but do not expect a character that is fully adjustable (and look good at most of the adjustment values) to have equivalent polys to a character that does not get customized.

I'm sure it's possible to have a lower detailed model with limited morphs, though, at the least. A really solid simplified LOD would help, yes.

36. BillO

BillO

Besides requiring additional memory, the MCSMale model skin pokes through the clothing when animated in a WebGL build. All aspects of a Mac standalone build work great. A feature to hide or remove skin geometry under clothing would be nice. Maybe this would help the memory requirements.

37. EDarkness

EDarkness

While the game is running. It's pretty bad, too. Used to work better, but now it's pretty terrible. Is there a particular shader or something that needs to be used for this?

38. AshyB

AshyB

I don't know about you, but I get shader errors when building. So I would assume those errors may be responsible.

39. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

40. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

I think what we could do with with is some kind of 'Hybrid' system that uses a mixture of Blendshapes and bone deformation... The Mixamo characters have 50 or so facial blendshapes for expressions, but actually using UMA I have been able to recreate alot of these using bones, and a great deal of the physical scaling can be done with bones. Its when you get to things like 'Bat Ears' and 'Bodybuilder' that the blendshape functionality really kicks in, I found it almost impossible to weight paint for that kind of thing...

MCS may already do this but it would be good if you could remove some of the blendshape data if you didn't need it, or perhaps and option to just build out the ones you put in to groups and merge them?

41. berk-maketafi

berk-maketafi

Hey @davidosullivan we agree that such a feature or tool would be handy, and as such we are working on a solution to make that happen.

davidosullivan likes this.
  42. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Probably before starting to change the figure itself, to remove blendshape data; would be great to have a more optimized figure. Most likely if you invest some time in a good retopology of the figure, you can gain an order of magnitude in performances.

davidosullivan and Faikus like this.
  43. Gunhi

Gunhi

is this Eyelid when eyes close? Just update 1.0r1 (Pro) in Unity 5.2.3p2
    How to fix this?

44. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

Hi Gunhi, it looks like a texture or morph issue. I'll find out exactly and get a bug report raised.

45. datWeazel

datWeazel

Hey,
    I just tested the MCS Male Lite since I didnt want to buy something I didn't test first.
    But I ran into my first issue. I got everything to work. I can run around, managed to animate the model and stuff like that .. but ... the Hair is pink and I don't know why. Is there any known issue with that ? If so, is there a workaround/fix?

Thanks in advance.

Edit://

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Morph3D/Volund Variants/Standard Hair': undeclared identifier 'UnityDecodeCubeShadowDepth' at UnityShadowLibrary.cginc(97) (on d3d9)
    3. Compiling Vertex program with POINT SHADOWS_CUBE
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING
    This is the error I'm getting when I build the game. There is a second error wich is the same but with d3d11. The game will still build but the hair is pink. When playing in editor everything works just fine.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    EntropicalFruit likes this.
  46. FarmerBilly

FarmerBilly

Just got this today, and have the same problem. Editor is fine, but hair is pink once you build. Please help! Pink hair isn't the fashion at the moment :)

47. Cyance

Cyance

48. BillO

BillO

I upgraded to Unity 5.3.0 and the skin is now poking through the clothing. The Morph 3D assets worked fine in Unity 5.2.3. I purchased MCS-MBase and MCS MALE-ESPIONAGE directly from Morph 3D on November 27th. Has there been any upgrades to these assets since then? Their website doesn't show a version number for the assets.

49. Cyance

Cyance

Just FYI
    I am working with Unity 5.2.3f1
    Sofar Urban Enforcer doesnt have any issues, all other i had poking through issues. Will try to compare with the others if we have some difference.

50. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

@datWeazel & @FarmerBilly - Not seen this error before, thanks for the heads up. As soon as there's a fix in place, I'll report back.