Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. EDarkness

EDarkness

Pendantry, what kind of trouble are you having? Is it a mecamim thing? I haven't had any problems getting any characters to move around with a character controller with basic animation and such.

pendantry and EntropicalFruit like this.
  2. umutozkan

umutozkan

I've managed to write 2/3 of the tutorial. I tried to be as descriptive as I can. Finished part shows the blendshape change at runtime. The part I am working on is on instantiating the MCS model at runtime and put/change clothes / hair on it. I'll also release the source code for the tutorials later. (The project folder is kinda big so I'll have to figure out a way to get it smaller or put it on a public file sharing site)

Here is the link. http://www.o3n.org/morph-3d-tutorial/

3. Gunhi

Gunhi

Need help with overlap skin

4. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

@pedantry - sorry to hear you're having problems with this; try the steps below and see if that helps get you moving...

1. Start a new project and import one of the MCS characters.
    2. From the Assets menu, select Import > Characters to import all the free Unity character assets.
    3. Create some ground for the characters to stand on (a simple enlarged square will do).
    4. Drop the MCS prefab into the scene.
    5. With the MCS character selected, add the "Standard Assets/Characters/ThirdPersonCharacter/Animator/ThirdPersonAnimatorController" into the animator slot in the inspector, as in the first image below.
    6. Still with the MCS character selected, add the "Standard Assets/Characters/ThirdPersonCharacter/Scripts/ThirdPersonCharacter and ThirdPersonUserControl into the inspector, as in the second image below.
    7. Change the values of the ThirdPersonCharacter script and the CapsuleColider to match with those in the second image.
    8. Play the scene. You should (hopefully) have an animated character that you can control with the keyboard.

animated1.jpg

animated2.jpg

5. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

Hi @umutozkan that character creator is looking great! The problems you are having with poke-through, does that happen just in the editor, or also at runtime?

6. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

Hi @tonisillanpaa When I run Unity with an MCS character in it, Unity does use around 500Mb. Do you have many other things running at once, or are there other things in your project? If so, try starting a new project to test the MCS characters in, and see if this solves your problem.

7. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

Hi @Shawn67 Thank you for the commenst, we'll look at improving the Readme. For some reason, Unity always tries to import the model before the scripts, which always leaves the model needing re-importing. We're trying to find a solution for this. We'll also look at a separate documentation folder, with more information in it.

When you see the poke-through of skin through the EWTunic, is this always in the editor, or does it continue during runtime? Changing colours of skin, eyes, and clothing is something we're looking in to, and we'll release more information on this as soon as we having something concrete to announce.

berk-maketafi likes this.
  8. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

That's a great tutorial, thank you for taking the time to write it :)

9. celebrus

celebrus

Thanks for posting this.

EntropicalFruit likes this.
  10. berk-maketafi

berk-maketafi

Hey there @Gunhi like @Plutoman said, the poke through of the base mesh with clothing isn't addressed by the MCS system until runtime. Try hitting play to see if that fixes your problem.

11. umutozkan

umutozkan

Yes it hapens at runtime too. If you check the demo I posted earlier you should see it when you maxed some of the sliders. (for example FBMHeavy maxed causes some poke-through both in front and back side of the model) http://www.o3n.org/morph3d-in-action/

12. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I had a look at your new female ranger outfit. It looks good.
    As I understand it is based on this package from Daz 3D. https://www.daz3d.com/ranger-outfit-for-genesis-2-female-s

On the Daz site it has an addon with 5 additional textures for the clothes. Any plans to release texture addons like this on Asset store also?

13. pendantry

pendantry

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! It's exactly what I needed.

You do need a 'step 1a', though: following your instructions I was able to get it to work, but the character was a nude grey model, with no way to apply outfits or hair... :)

1a. Right-click 'MORPH3D' folder in Project tab and select 'Reimport'.

The MORPH3D 'readme' needs some work (as I think you already know); I was misled by:
    "1) If this is the first time you've imported A Morph3D Package, you'll need to reimport the MORPH3D folder."
    ... because it wasn't the first time I had done this action. It's not clear that it needs to be done (I assume) for each new project.

There's a few more assumptions made in your otherwise excellent instructions that might cause problems for the total newcomer, FWIW. Step 3 'create ground' needs explanation for someone who's never added a plane to a scene; Step 4 could be a tad confusing (as in: "what's a 'prefab'?").

I think I have to bookmark umutozkan's tutorial :)

Thanks again -- I'm off to give you some Glorion-style encouragement by making a purchase! :)

EDarkness and EntropicalFruit like this.
  14. tonisillanpaa

tonisillanpaa

Hi,

thanks for the answer. I've tried shutting down all other programs, creating a fresh Unity project and importing only the mcsmale.fbx file. Unity crashes every time. Here's a screenshot of the failure. This can very well be a Unity problem, but as I am totally new to all this and as other stuff I've got from the asset store open nicely, I'm at a loss what to do.

Best,

Toni

Attached Files:

15. umutozkan

umutozkan

I finished the 3rd part of the tutorial. http://www.o3n.org/morph-3d-tutorial/

Keep in mind that this tutorial is the outcome of trial and error. I don't know any of it is the right way of manipulating the MCS models at runtime. It just works in the given context and it's not tested throughly by any means.

By the way, I'd really appreciate if a Morph 3D dev could have a look at it and point me in the right direction.

I have so many questions;

(1) Adding the clothing from content pack as described in the tutorial works but I wonder if I need to do anything else then detecting the clothing,

(2) Is destroying the loaded clothings' game object the right way of removing clothing? if not how should it be done?

(3) changing the blendshape when clothing is invisible and making clothing visible twists the model visually, I needed to set a bendshape value to get it to reset. Isn't there a method I can call to refresh the model with current visible clothing?

(4) There seems to be some similarly named methods in the M3DCharacterManager class, what is the difference? Are they all safe to use or some of them are intended to be used internally?

(We really need the documentation for the runtime API.)

16. Gunhi

Gunhi

the gif screenshot is captured in PlayMode. Have look at character' shoulders. Please try your side!

17. tonisillanpaa

tonisillanpaa

Updated to the 64-bit version and all works as it should. Sorry about that & thanks for the time!

18. IanAtMorph3D

IanAtMorph3D

Are you getting any errors or warnings relating to "Alpha Injection"?

Also check to make sure the files in Assets/MORPH3D/Content/StarterPacks/Female/CiaoBella/InjectionMasks were imported correctly (they should be black & white masks).

19. Gunhi

Gunhi

There is no warning or error. And InjectionMasks are there in black and white.
    Unity 5.1.3p3 on MAC
    Please have a look at screenshot

20. batate

batate

Hi folks.. as others have pointed out there is a script glitch in the latest Male Lite and Female Lite unitypackages at

Assets\MORPH3D\Content\Shaders\Standard-2pass-doublesided.shader

Shader warning in 'Morph3D/Standard-2pass-double sided': comma expression used where a vector constructor may have been intended at line 175 (on d3d11)

The Male Lite avatar outfit shirt/vest shows bright pink until a change is made. Just adding a semi-colon on the end of line 175 causes the shirt/vest to render correctly, but I am not sure its a full fix as the warning still shows.

21. IanAtMorph3D

IanAtMorph3D

Click on the CiaoBellaJacket and make sure that the "Read/Write Enabled" checkbox is checked.

22. IanAtMorph3D

IanAtMorph3D

We're releasing MCS 1.0r2 (DLLs and scripts) imminently, this issue is addressed in that release. Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention.

23. Snownebula

Snownebula

Can someone tell me why my character's mouth is open?

24. hopeful

hopeful

I believe that's a mecanim default setting. It's not an error.

25. Snownebula

Snownebula

Do you know how I can fix this?

26. hopeful

hopeful

As I understand it, if you're not actively using the jaw, the default value is for it to be open. So, essentially, you need to close it or tell mecanim to leave it alone ... whichever works best for your needs.

This comment from the UMA thread ought to apply:

The open mouth issue is a Mecanim bug. You can avoid it by leaving the jaw bone out of your TPose or only using Mecanim animations that have valid jaw data, or deleting the incorrect jaw data that Mecanim creates by default if it's missing.​

27. Snownebula

Snownebula

I am using UFPS as my character controller. I do not know if this helps.

28. Snownebula

Snownebula

Also why is the M3D Character Manager in a freeken dll? I need to access the component Clothing so I can change the clothing while at runtime, but this is seemly to be come impossible. Does anyone know a way around this?

29. Cyance

Cyance

Hi all,

MCS Male Wood Elf no poke-through on this character. So happy with that.
    MCS can mount a horse now

:) Still working on the animations, so anyone got some ideas how to fix those issues i have.
    MCS on horse and rotation on character i want to freeze.

EntropicalFruit and EDarkness like this.
  30. tonisillanpaa

tonisillanpaa

Hi there, this worked for me:

Double click on the controller

Double click on the animation in question

Select Rig

Select Configure

Select Head

Select Jaw

From the list select "Head End" and press enter

Select Apply

Hope this helps.

best,

Toni

31. EDarkness

EDarkness

Just a quick question. What shaders or scripts have to be active to make sure skin doesn't bleed through? I'm really looking at performance and I like the Standard shader. However, I guess I do what I have to in order to make sure skin doesn't bleed through.

32. GXMark

GXMark

Have you considered an alpha masking touch up brush technique. I think having the option you suggested and a brush that could place an alpha mask on the areas which need removing could work.

33. hopeful

hopeful

EntropicalFruit and Cyance like this.
  34. Cyance

Cyance

Nice more fun :) Thanks Morph3D

Version 1.0r1
    -Optimized Textures
    -Reduced File Size
    -Readme.txt Documentation

Will try that out tonight

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  35. umutozkan

umutozkan

Skin shows under hair. Almost all the hair in free packs shows a little (Short pony tail and Tolouse don't) but RevHair is the worst. I attached some screentshots. Anyone else having this problem?

headshowinghair.png headshowinghair2.png headshowinghair3.png

36. GXMark

GXMark

Poke through seems to be a serious issue at the moment with lots of clothing and hair. I even read one of their comments saying its become a difficult aspect to deal with. I do hope that this fundamental issue gets resolved across all the clothing and hair stuff.

This is wear having access to the code helps. Unfortunately its all locked away in DLLs :)

Like many have said on this forum. The jury is still out on Morph3D and it will depend on better communication and updates coming from them...

37. Cyance

Cyance

Update on Toulouse hair, nice thanks guys keep up the good work ;)

upload_2015-11-27_8-22-43.png

38. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

As someone that has limited time to do modeling and all graphic related, I welcome this product. I did purchase the 2 base figures; and so far I did not use them, but planning to do so very soon.

Hopefully, as customer, I hope that I will see my whishlist addressed at some point. As simple enthusiast I am already happy with what you did :)

1) As others said, clothes are needed; I get that sci-fi and fantasy are the first ones usually (followed by military and zombie); but many figures miss 2 categories most of the time: anime style and everyday clothes.
    Would be great to have everyday clothes; things that you may customize and make your own hitman character with a nice suit, or your worker guy with a jeans and t-shirt, or fancy office lady with a nice dress.

2) Anime stuff is also totally ignored by the majority, from what I can tell...the best selling product is actually UnityChan, which sadly has no clothes whatsoever, so it is cool as placeholder but that's it. Ideally, I wish to see something like the Aiko characters and clothes types, to give the "anime" look to a product.

3) Some tutorial videos with examples would really be appreciated; few videos on youtube, just to get your feet wet and give examples about what to do to accomplish specific results. Most likely, I would love to see how to add/remove cloth items or change shape to the character in game (similar to how it was demonstrated at Unite). In particular I am interested in knowing how can you use parts of the packages, without load the mb and mb of data, to mix clothes for example.

4) SDK for making your own heads/clothes and hair or import mesh that you already have? I did model some clothes and heads for some characters; and would like to abandon the custom figure for something like MCS, so everything would be standard. Hopefully you have something easy to use to import mesh and adapt them to the characters, down the line.

I did get Fuse to generate my characters, but then I realized that clothes were few, the faces look all the same, no matter what morph you use, and the cartoon option was basically unusable, due to its very peculiar style (is neither a Disney type of cartoon, nor a classic anime); I felt like I had to get something else....I hope that MCS is the solution.

Excellent work so far, hopefully this is the final step for me, for characer creation.

39. Ox_

Ox_

Hi! As far as I understood, it's not possible to add new clothing models to a character right now?

Or am I wrong? Do you have any guides how to do it?

40. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

Try this to help alleviate this issue (my screenshot is using REVHair --- follow along the same steps for whatever female hair product you're using, just find that hair's files in your Project window):
    upload_2015-11-27_18-45-27.png

(01) Open your unity Project
    (02) Within your Project window, find the hair that you're using in your scene (REVHair in my example)
    (03) Select REVHair_188114_opaque
    (04) In the Inspector, the Alpha Cutoff on mine was 0.804 by default.
    (05) Slide the Alpha Cutoff slider all the way to the left to zero (0) or wherever you think works best for your project. Going all the way to zero (0) on some of the hair leaves parts of the product showing on the skin that should've been transparent --- so back the slider off a little until you get it to look as good as you can (notice the white outline on the hair image in the screenshot below --- it shouldn't be white, but transparent, so move the slider back up to around .008 to fix that).
    upload_2015-11-27_18-45-49.png

While this isn't a fix (more like a band-aid), it seems to work well enough for me until someone at Morph3D comes up with an official solution. I tested this with other Morph3D female hair products (and while the Alpha Cutoff settings were different for each), following the steps outlined above made all of the hair products I tested sufficiently usable.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Cyance likes this.
  41. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

I thought I'd also throw out there that MCS Male is on sale (65% off) here at the Unity Asset Store --- but if you go to the Morph3D website store, ALL of their products are on sale for 65% off for Black Friday (through Cyber Monday).

EDarkness likes this.
  42. mwituni

mwituni

Anyone know the poly counts on one of the models - like on the different LOD's?
    Looks pretty high

43. EDarkness

EDarkness

I'd like to get a few outfits, but I like knowing when there are updates inside the Unity Store system. Wish they had both the male and female on sale on the Unity Store, though.

44. hopeful

hopeful

FWIW, I can't get the Morph3D site store to work. I'm registered, but it won't log me in. :p

45. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

I initially had issues too. I had to re-register and then follow the account confirmation link that the registration had emailed me. Not sure why I had to re-do this step since I'd done it previously, but that got me into their store and able to shop.

I'm not sure, but it may be that the store has a separate registration process from the general website. Either way, I (re)registered (and confirmed the account with their emailed link) and it worked. I was able to purchase WAY more content for CONSIDERABLY less with their site sale (I actually saved hundreds of dollars --- literally), so if you're considering getting any of their assets, now's the time to do it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  46. hopeful

hopeful

I've tried re-registering and whatever I can think of. No confirmation email has arrived yet in my mailbox.

Thankfully the sale runs for a few days. Hopefully it can get straightened out in time.

EDIT: I've even told it that I forgot my password, and it still doesn't send me an email. (My email address is correct.)

47. lazygunn

lazygunn

If this is based on Genesis 2, im curious what Daz3D's licensing for their content is now. I looked a while ago but havent checked since, i guess ill go do that now

48. umutozkan

umutozkan

I am trying to buy stuff from Morph3D store but I keep getting AVS mismatch error (something about credit card address not matching)

I copied the address from my credit card statement, still couldn't get it to work. I've used the help link and send a message but no replies for that either.

I bought the male from asset strore, I want to buy female too but it's not working for me right now. Wish they accepted paypal or discounted the other stuff in asset store too :(

49. umutozkan

umutozkan

I asked the same question in this thread somewhere. They basically said even if it is based on Daz you don't need Daz license. You can use Morph3D as you like.

50. umutozkan

umutozkan

Thanks, I'll try that ASAP.