Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Morph-3D, Sep 17, 2015.

1. shredingskin

shredingskin

Any tips on doing that ?

2. ceebeee

ceebeee

Unfortunately this is only partly true, As they designed their system so it injects the blend shapes at runtime, they aren't included in the model. So while you could convert it to UMA, it would have no blend shapes at all. (and this is probably the only reason I haven't done what you describe, because my application requires the blend shapes for lipsync among other things.

3. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I agree. The blend shapes specially like teeth changes etc. were the reason to use and buy this asset. Ofc UMA is becoming really good right now. Didn't have time to look into it, but its really sad to lost all the bought morph3d clothes etc.

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

Simplest thing to do is to take the clothes/hair and then retarget them to one of the UMA races (like the built-in models, or willb's human 2 or O3n's races) in Blender, and then build slots out of them. SecretAnorak has a bunch of videos that show exactly what to do.

You can also retarget the people to be UMA slots and make your own races. But you'll need to add adjustment bones or blendshapes for that also. But the high-res UMA models are good, and willb's and the O3N races are good also (O3n has a complete set of LOD slots also).

With more work, you could reskin the models to the UMA meshes as well, if you like that specific M3D texture look.

It's still doable, but does require more work if you want to keep the m3d base meshes (personally I would ditch them, and bring over just the cloths/hair/textures). If you use one of the existing UMA races, then you have the built-in facial rig for lipsyncing (it's supported by Lipsync Pro and Salsa, as well as there is a built-in expression system for setting up your own).

If you do want to bring over the meshes, then there are several ways to do it: Just add adjustment bones everywhere and reweight your model. Retarget your model to the existing UMA rig (in blender, you line it all up, change the armature to point to the UMA rig, and then copy the vertex groups over using the Data Transfer too (using "interpolated polygon" for best results).

Anyway, it's all doable, some routes are easier than others.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Shawn67 and hopeful like this.
  5. EDarkness

EDarkness

I wish someone would come up with an easier solution that can be modded easier than this with better performance across the board. There was always the prospect that M3D was going to nail it eventually, but they gave up and dangled the upcoming performance changes in front of our face for a long time. Ultimately they never delivered. I've messed around with UMA, but I still feel like it's just not easy to use at all and the art isn't as appealing as M3D.

6. hopeful

hopeful

UMA is not art, though some default art is supplied with it, otherwise you could not run demos. You can use the M3D art inside UMA.

Jaimi likes this.
  7. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's much easier to use now, and getting easier all the time. If you don't like the current art, there are alternatives, and free tools to make your own or convert existing art. It's also very fast - that's why it exists. It combines meshes and creates texture atlases on the fly for you, and it has a built-in LOD system for textures and meshes (using the LOD for slots requires you to precreated LOD slots, or you can use a 3rd party tool to auto create them).

Shawn67 and hopeful like this.
  8. DMCH

DMCH

Hi all. It's unfortunate that Morph isn't being supported at present. Since Fuse has been abandoned, it would seem there is an opportunity for an alternative. I'm considering using it still. I don't need the morph at runtime capabilities - instead, I'll make up the characters and prefab them. Have seen performance issues mentioned a few times - would anyone care to elaborate?

Also does anyone have experience in doing the following? Experimenting along these lines at the minute
    1. Taking the meshes at a given LOD, and combining them (to reduce draw calls)
    2. The effects of removing the M3D scripts? I'm not sure of the overhead of, or bugs within, these scripts is and since am only interested in mesh, considering pulling them out.

9. hopeful

hopeful

If you haven't investigated it, you can use Fuse and M3D art (meshes, textures) in UMA, and this will combine the meshes and atlas the textures. You will not need the M3D scripts, which have always been a weak spot.

As noted above, UMA is all about using custom art. So take a simple mesh from Fuse or M3D and convert it to UMA for the practice. Once you have the steps down, there's basically no stopping you. ;)

If you want the M3D blendshapes, you'll have to implement them yourself in Blender (or any other modeler). As of the last version or so, UMA is able to use blendshapes. (I've not used that yet, as so far I've been content to work with UMA's adjust bones, but eventually I'll start using blendshapes.)

DMCH and Jaimi like this.
  10. DMCH

DMCH

Thanks for the answer. Is there any benefit to combining the meshes in UMA, as opposed to using a mesh combine tool I already own? Was also wondering if UMA can do anything with the open jaw issue? I noticed that this can be fixed by setting jaw values to 0 on animations, but wondering if there is a less tedious way.

It seems like there are an excessive number of bones exposed in M3D models (also that some may be duplicated, or at least the references are)

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

The UMA generator is really fast. in addition to LOD, it can also create smaller textures and smaller atlases for use in performance tuning (you can downsample entire atlases or individual textures in the atlas). It includes an entire wardrobe system to manage model parts, and you can add models, textures, and even entire races through downloadable asset bundles.

For open-jaw, yes - you can do two things: You can use the avatar that doesn't have the jaw setup (by changing the tpose asset on the race to the included "no jaw" version), or if you need the jaw for something, you can add the "expression player" to the character, and tell it to keep the jaw closed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    DMCH likes this.
  12. hopeful

hopeful

You'll want to research UMA a little more. Probably downloading the latest UMA package (it's free) from the Unity asset store and running the demos would give you a good idea of what's going on.

Essentially, UMA is a programming kit that helps you swap clothing items, hair, etc. and change the dimensions of various body parts on the characters. It's most often used to allow players to customize their own characters, though sometimes developers use it as an in-editor solution for making a large number of unique characters quickly.

Characters are stored as recipes, which may be sent dynamically over a network to allow multiplayer games with customized player characters.

As for the open jaw, that's a default behavior of Unity's mecanim implementation. So you do always need to have a solution, but it's easy to implement.

Basically, if you like the Morph 3D character art, but you're having difficulty using it, a possible solution would be input it into UMA and use it there.

DMCH likes this.
  13. DMCH

DMCH

Appreciate the info, Jaimi and hopeful. Spent a good part of the day waiting for a large project (50GB) to migrate to an updated version of Unity, as it seemed better to test the models on a current version. Watched quite a few of the UMA videos while this was happening. It looks neat.

Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  14. DMCH

DMCH

Hi again. My experiments with M3D suggest that it's very difficult to optimise the meshes and prevent the body overlapping through the clothes. It's possible to morph the clothes size to avoid this, but when the meshes are combined only the top mesh can be altered. Has anyone had any luck with this?

If I import the meshes into UMA, is it possible to work around this problem?

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is solved in UMA using three different strategies, all setup in the "wardrobe recipe" definition for the particular piece of clothing.
    • When a piece of clothing completely hides a part of the base mesh, you can turn off that part of the base mesh by name (for example, placing a shirt on a character might completely hide the "chest").
    • When a piece of clothing completely covers another piece of clothing, it can be suppressed: Example, you can specify that a pair of jeans hides anything that is in the "underwear" slot.
    • You can specify on the recipe that a piece of clothing hides specific polygons on other pieces of clothing or the base mesh (if they exist). There is a nice little painter that lets you go in and "paint" the polygons you want to hide, and does automatic overlap detection, etc.
    These can all interact, so you can create an overcoat that does the following: hides the base chest. Turns off any shirt the character is wearing. And then hides the polygons on the top part of the pants and legs.

edit: let's keep the discussion here since it's really about using the Morph3D assets in UMA.

DMCH likes this.