Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Morph-3D, Sep 17, 2015.

1. mephistonight

mephistonight

There have been a number of changes from Unity on the way shaders are handled in the standard pipeline. Can anyone from Morph3D confirm that the asset will be updated to support 2018 please?

2. jashan

jashan

@jjanzer_morph - are you still with us?

3. ceebeee

ceebeee

I didn't see any mention of shader changes in the release notes. Are these changes documented anywhere?

4. mephistonight

mephistonight

I wish. I apologise to any Unity dev reading this if it IS documented anywhere but these kind of changes, without at least notifying people, is my biggest gripe about Unity. It really annoys me. Upgrading and finding a lot of your shaders are broken is soul destroying.

The only way I found out about this one: " http://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/rendering/part-17/ " , especially the changes to UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION was by reading other people's blogs. In fairness to Unity, that particular one has been coming for a long time. I'm still working on other issues. MORPH3D's shaders are where I'm having the most problems.

ceebeee likes this.
  5. PhoenixAdvanced

PhoenixAdvanced

At least I'm not the only one with this issue! Hopefully either Unity or Morph3D will come up with a fix for these shaders shortly.

6. ProtoPoly

ProtoPoly

does anyone here have a link to the artist tools because the link on the morph3d website is broken.

7. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Hello again, I tried replacing the DLL's with the ones you mention in that post. I'm not sure if it would have worked or not as the scripts don't show up. It just says nothing selected:

or here: https://prnt.sc/jf7qrk
    (sorry I'm relatively new to the forum and don't know the proper way of posting pictures)

I guess the bigger problem now is that the scripts won't go back even after I've re-imported the original scripts. Please help.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  8. dozhwal

dozhwal

9. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Did you ever solve the problem? I can't figure out how to properly import those new DLL's. Please help if you can.

10. Cloud-Ninja

Cloud-Ninja

I'm trying to animate the Morph3d male using Unity's new Timeline tool...I'm able to import DAZ characters and animate them using the new Timeline tool and animation track but am not able to animate the MCS male on the Timeline using MCS characters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Hello, I'm having the same issue, but apparently its come for some interaction with lights. The character in an empty scenario looks fine except the eyelashes. Any idea?

12. PhoenixAdvanced

PhoenixAdvanced

That's interesting, I haven't tried my characters in empty scenes. I'm still waiting to hear from either MCS or Unity on this issue, I am confident that there will be a fix at some point in the future. Obviously some shaders were rewritten for 2018.1 which broke the MCS system.

13. edub101

edub101

When trying to add outfit "Retro Space Suit" to male figure, I get an error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MORPH3D.EDITORS.M3DCharacterManagerEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/MORPH3D/Scripts/Editor/M3DCharacterManagerEditor.cs:252)

14. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Apart from this I see the skin through the clothes. Can someone confirm me that that was not happening with the older Unity/correct shader version? If so, I'll roll back my Unity version.

15. PhoenixAdvanced

PhoenixAdvanced

Quique-Martinez, yes, I am also seeing the skin through the clothes. This was working fine in my previous version, Unity 2017.2, I haven't tried in 2017.3 or 2017.4. I would suspect this is all caused by changes to the shaders in 2018.1.

16. JasonCG

JasonCG

I don't have much experience with MCS, but was trying it out with Unity 2018.1 and got a few shader errors. Most noticeably the eyes were messed up like a few others here have mentioned.

I'm not sure if this is the best solution, but I made the following changes to get the shaders to compile and it looks like it's working. My experience with shader programming is limited so I don't know what sort of side effects these changes cause, and again I don't use MCS so I haven't done much testing with it. I'm just evaluating it for a project.

Hair_UnityStandardCore.cginc
    Change line 548 from
    Code (csharp):
    2. half atten = LIGHT_ATTENUATION(i);
    to
    Code (JavaScript):
    2. UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION(atten, i, half3(0,0,0));
    Volund_UnityStandardCore.cginc
    Change line 498 from
    Code (csharp):
    2. UnityLight light = AdditiveLight (s.normalWorld, IN_LIGHTDIR_FWDADD(i), LIGHT_ATTENUATION(i));
    to
    Code (JavaScript):
    2. UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION(atten, i, s.posWorld);
    3. UnityLight light = AdditiveLight (s.normalWorld, IN_LIGHTDIR_FWDADD(i), atten);
    EyeAndLash.shader
    Change lines 44 and 45 from
    Code (csharp):
    2. float3 lightDir;
    3. float3 viewDir;
    to
    Code (csharp):
    2. //Rename or remove them, I don't see them being used anywhere
    3. float3 lightDirOut;
    4. float3 viewDirOut;
    (Note: I don't know if this breaks anything since I renamed the variables only here and nowhere else)

Update
    After fully recompiling the project there were additional errors (I think some of the shaders were still built from before the upgrade?) I updated the code above, but specifically
    Hair_UnityStandardCore.shader
    Code (JavaScript):
    2. UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION(atten, i, half3(0,0,0));
    Thanks @PhoenixAdvanced

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  17. _Daniel_

_Daniel_

I am sticking with 2017 LTS until Morph comes out with an update. It's the best solution I can see at the moment.

18. Cloud-Ninja

Cloud-Ninja

JasonCG likes this.
  19. PhoenixAdvanced

PhoenixAdvanced

JasonCG, those shader fixes seem to work great, thank you very much!

There still seems to be an issue in Hair_UnityStandardCore, this line:

UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION(atten, i, i.posWorld);

Seems to be causing it. The skin and eyelashes, etc, are all fine, and the hair looks ok, but the shader is failing to compile.

Thanks for your help!

JasonCG likes this.
  20. StevanJay

StevanJay

I have a question regarding compatibility between the male and female packs - what happens if I put a male pack on a female character, is it still functional? What would be involved for me to make them work? I'm thinking specifically in the case of several armor packs that you have - I'm prototyping an RPG where I'd like to have both male and female characters wearing the same armor, and I'm trying to assess how practical MCS would be as a tool and asset source for me...

21. PhoenixAdvanced

PhoenixAdvanced

As far as I'm aware, the male and female packs are not interchangeable, you'd need to get matching male and female packs from the store, or make your own with the artist tools.

22. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

How much longer should we expect to wait for 1.6.5? It seems we've been waiting years.

23. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Did you figure it out?

24. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    hopeful likes this.
  25. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

No, I got no one answer.

26. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

I just ended up switching the textures on that one material. I guess that's not ideal, but it'll have to do. Whenever I switch the materials on the skinned meshes, the materials turn clear for some reason. Oh well.

27. JasonCG

JasonCG

Sorry about that. I think some of the shaders didn't fully recompile on my end. I updated the code with a working solution.

28. StevanJay

StevanJay

I recently bought the Female Myrna pack, but have been unable to get much of it to work, and no reply from Morph3D support... When I try to add Myrna_Bag, Myrna_Jacket, Myrna_Shirt or Myrna_Waistcoat I get an "Invalid Content Pack" message. Is anyone able to shed any light on what that is, and how I might be able to fix it...? (On Untiy 2017.4.2, in a clean project with nothing else installed but MCS Female and Myrna).

29. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

I recently got this on the Male Brit hair. I think I re-imported the folder that it was in, then it worked fine.

30. StevanJay

StevanJay

I've tried re-importing, deleting the whole thing and re-installing, even installing it to an entirely different machine, but still can't get those assets to work... :( Although I did note that trying to reimport those assets gives me a missing dependencies error for the .mon files...

31. PhoenixAdvanced

PhoenixAdvanced

JasonCG, those changes work perfectly, thank you!

32. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Thanks JasonCG for your changes. They worked for a while but now I'm getting this sharky eyes problem. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    upload_2018-5-18_8-51-57.png

33. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

The shader Morph 3D/Standard(Specular Setup) did the job. Thanks

34. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

I have a problem with the characters when bending the Shoulders or the Thighs, this is what is happening:

You can see the pelvis and glute dont follow the bend, I have tried many things but I cannot fix this issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

35. Invirtuo

Invirtuo

Hi,

We have a problem with MCS for Unity in our project. We use the deferred skin shader, the texture used for the alpha in that shader and at some point during development a file seem to be corrupt (custom alpha map), and I cannot find it in the project. I tried to re-import Morph3d and all the cloths I bought but the problem persist.

The corrupt texture has the sRGB check mark on but I can't change it, it reset on reload of the project. Is it part of the problem?

Can you tell me how to change the texture, or witch file/Dll to replace? See the pictures below:

I use Unity 2017.2.1F1 (64 bit) personal

Our team use Collab

Asset Cloth pack bought:

· MCS Male

· MCS Female

· MCS Male: Everyday Casual Outfit

· MCS Male: Hair Pack 1

· MCS Female: Hair Pack 2

· MCS Female: Jersey Girl

· MCS Male: Wood Elf Scout

Thanks for your time
    Marie-Christine Rivard
    Technical Director of the Cybertherapy Laboratory
    Universite du Quebec en Outaouais

Morph3dProblem.jpg

textureScreen.JPG

36. Invirtuo

Invirtuo

Also I just saw that error message:

Unable to recover instanced material, using original mat instead: Body_LOD0 slot: 2 i: 2
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    MORPH3D.CORESERVICES.AlphaInjectionManager:GetMaterialsClone()
    MORPH3D.CORESERVICES.AlphaInjectionManager:drawTexture()
    MORPH3D.CORESERVICES.AlphaInjectionManager:process()
    MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager:LateUpdate()

37. viv710

viv710

Hi am new to this morph 3D character, i have only one dress for the model, how can i create my own dress for the model. if yes, how?, please guide me to do so. thank you...

38. devoncode

devoncode

I'm a developer not a modeler so forgive my ignorance. I'm working on basic character customizations. The morphs are pretty straight forward and customization for that is a breeze. But I wanted to work with customizing features such as eyes, tattoos, skin coloring, facial hair, etc. I can change the textures for the materials and I can get mostly what I'm looking for but it seems that I would need an unordinary number of these files to cycle through a relatively small number of options. For example, the Head skin fold out is on the same image with the eye fold out. So if I have 10 eye colors and 5 skin colors, I have to deal with 50 or so files instead of just 15 or so. This can get out of hand quickly. My question is this: Is there a better way to handle this and if not why not split those into two separate texture files and mats? Thanks.

39. elvirais

elvirais

I've not used this system for a long while because there were a lot of bugs and problems at one point. I'm curious how things are going now.

(1) Is it relatively stable?

(2) Is there more variety of skin colours now or do we still need to add that in ourselves?

(3) How is the hair situation now?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on this :)

40. EDarkness

EDarkness

Never got solved. I was told that there would be a new update that would have that fix included, but I haven't seen that update yet. I guess they've abandoned this or something right now.

41. evfasya

evfasya

I have the latest version of M3D Male & Female, and the latest version of Unity. I realized that the M3DMale doesn't have a pupil dilation blendshape, unlike the M3DFemale. Is there any way I could make it available on the M3DMale as well?

42. tomyhuang

tomyhuang

When I put the clothes on, it's visible. However, when I move the camera angle, it becomes sometimes visible and sometimes not.
    I found out the problem that's on Skinned Mesh Renderer.
    Only the first clothes's Skinned Mesh Renderer is on but others are not.
    I tried to turn all on, but when I reload the scene, they are all unchecked except the first one.
    Does anyone has this problem? How to fix it?

Attached Files:

43. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello

How do you change from Script the materials of a cloth using the preconfigured materials? I dont seem to find that in the public interface.

Thanks

44. evfasya

evfasya

Can anybody suggest the simplest way to add this new blendshape in the male character? Is this even possible? Any help would be so much appreaciated!

45. IEdge

IEdge

Hello...
    Is it possible to work with other base models, like anime characters? If so, could you provide a tutorial on how to add new base models?

46. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello, I haven't figured out how to do the following, any help from Morph3d??

How do you change from Script the materials of a cloth using the preconfigured materials? I dont seem to find that in the public interface.

Thanks

47. magique

magique

Does anyone know of a good hair shader that works with Morph3D characters? The default and even Volund shaders are just terrible.

48. EDarkness

EDarkness

That's been the big issue from the beginning. When they were designing this stuff they didn't consider ease of use and making it flexible for any type of situation. The fact that we can't easily change skin color or hair is constantly messed up is a testament to this. I was hoping that they would ultimately fix this over time and make it more efficient. Unfortunately, we haven't heard from them in weeks. I wonder if we're going back to the way it was when they first started. :(

49. Timothee35

Timothee35

50. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

People need to stop buying these MCS assets and Unity really needs to remove them from the store.

This is abodonware! The developer is gone and provides no response to any support requests through official or unofficial methods.

Such a rip off.