Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I'll look into the linear vs gamma space as soon as possible. Another user was reporting some problems with swapping as well but I haven't been able to recreate the issues.

Can you send me a screenshot, is it that it's partially working or not working at all?

If you have a custom shader and you want the clipping to work you can do the following.
    1. Add a new texture channel to the shader and call it: _AlphaTex
    2. Add a new float and call it _CutOff (with a range from 0-1)
    3. Add those values to the shader and in the fragment do: clip(sampledAlphaTex.r - _CutOff)
    You can see how that's done in our skin shader(s). If you get stuck let me know and I can help modify your shaders for you.

2. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

the problem with the skin poking through was fixed with that.
    Also, yeah, I'm using an IK system to bend the limb there, and I know there's a "forearm twist" bone, but unfortunately It's hard to test since the skeleton of the character doesn't match up with the actual character except during runtime ):

Is there a way to fix that?
    http://i.imgur.com/131vbip.jpg everything seems to be scaled up. Works perfect during runtime though

3. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

also, I notice when I add content packs, each piece of clothing has an entire skeleton and rig inside. http://i.imgur.com/l7Mpq0E.png

Is there a way I can just have one single skeleton in the scene per character?

Also would be nice to have a way to clean up the whole "LOD" system, especially with different skin materials and such. I'd like to just have 1 material for the skin, or maybe 2 or 3, but not 9 or 12. I'm pretty sure unity already has support for rendering smaller versions of textures.

Would also be nice to not have to worry about it with clothes as well. Perhaps have a clothes shader or something on clothes that just draws it before other shaders like skin? Or maybe let your shader use another shader/material under it, so you can still have the alpha mask injection.

some more stuff I'd really like:
    • "layers" for skin, for things like makeup and tattoos in character creation.
    • real eye shaders, support for separate eye objects, or having a separate material for the eyes or something.
    • Support an extra "scalp" so that I can use the GPU-hair tool that uses all of the vertices of an object
    • an option to create or export a "lite" version of the character that's created, which gives me a 3D model and a skeleton, with maybe a separate "skinned mesh" object for each of the pieces of clothes attached, instead of needing 600 game-objects for a single character outfitted with different pieces of clothing.
    • fix typo in this script component http://i.imgur.com/0IyFKtz.png
    • that cool GUI scene you guys have in your video with the character creator and clothing chooser.
    Is any of that possible?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  4. zeb33

zeb33

Thanks for reply.
    1. have tried both ways, still get same error
    2. male:space marine & female:fitness trainer
    3. error persists

5. Rarceth

Rarceth

Ill post pics now. I had a few problems sorting out an unrelated bug, sorry about the delay. I had a look at constructing that shader, and im going to have more looks but shader code really doesnt agree with me atm :p

6. Rarceth

Rarceth

m3d1.PNG

Attached Files:

• m3d2.PNG
      m3d2.PNG
      File size:
      776.1 KB
      Views:
    Carterryan1990 likes this.
  7. Rarceth

Rarceth

8. Yacshadow

Yacshadow

Is that something you plan to change ?

dwaldrum likes this.
  9. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

Hello Morph,

did you have time to check this issue already?

10. anggif

anggif

Hello,
    I'm working on an augmented reality project. I use morph 3d male as the main model. I have set the character to be a child model. Everything was perfect until I run it as augmented reality. the basic model overwrites the model I set earlier and there are other models that I have not seen before. And it looks like an alien. May i get your help on this issue?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  11. yepfuk

yepfuk

Hi, can I desing and model my own clothes for MCS Male ? And is there any tutorial about this? Thank you.

12. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

http://i.imgur.com/LpWL1UM.png Also getting huge garbage collection issues with M3d. I mean, it's good that it's catching it, but it would be nice if it didn't happen...

13. Pandur1982

Pandur1982

work it with unity 2017?

14. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

I'm using it just fine with unity 2017

15. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

jjanzer_morph, are you still around?

I'm getting a huge memory leak problem. I've updated my running support ticket with info on it, but they haven't responded to anything in about a week. Every time I run M3DCharacterManager.SetBlendShapeValue(), I get a memory leak problem. Actively updating morphs during runtime leads to the creation of thousands of objects and gigabytes of memory.

EDIT: Apparently "Recalculate bounds" being set to ON_MORPH causes the issue. Not too surprised. My bad :)

Also note that recalculate bounds has a memory leak heh.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  16. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

So far morph3d has been working pretty good for our needs but their are a few things that could definitely be improved. Most of this has been talked about already but want to throw in another vote.

1) The skin texture is good but not good enough. Are their any plans to increase the quality of the skin texture? Anyone know of any skin texture we might be able to use instead? Is it possible to replace the shader with a substance to allow for dynamic skin updates?

2) Skin color. This one has been asked for repeatedly but its obviously a major need.

3) Makeup, tattoo's, etc. Is this in the works? Or is this something we should try to impliment ourselves?

4) Eye shader. One of the weaker points of the asset. Is it possible to replace the eyes? If so how? Otherwise any plans for a better eye shader?

5) Ability to move the morph3d directory.

17. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

some of that stuff you should be able to do without too much difficulty. Grab their shader, and throw yours ontop of the alpha mask stuff for custom shader. For skin colour, you're gonna have to draw a couple layers, one for the skin (Where you'd have some pale/greyscale version of the skin you want, and one for stuff like eybrows, eyes, etc...)

18. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Thanks! Im trying that now. Im attempting to replace the skin with a different SSS shader and using a procedural layered substance to support dynamic skin, we'll see how it goes.

19. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

I'm actually doing something really similar right now :) let's compare notes down the road :)

right now I've got a skin shader rendering another material layer on top that includes tessellation+displacement map, for additional things like body parts (genitalia), nipples, clothes, tattoos, and other weird inset things (maybe you want a line of rocks stick out of the skin, or inset into the skin), as well as a node-based texture editor that's going to work during run-time.

20. MariusRu

MariusRu

Dear MCS team,

I'm planning to use your morph system for a psychological study in which the avatar's proportions are aligned with those of a user/participant. Morphing works great, however, I can not reasonably combine morphing with Unity's IK system. When I enlengthen the arms, the hands are no longer at their IK targets (see image). It seems to me that OnAnimatorIK() is simply called before the morph system (although I adjust the parameters in Update()). Do you know a solution for this problem?

Best,
    Marius

Attached Files:

21. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

If you can i would definitely check out FinalIK. We've been using it with morph3d and it has alot of amazing features beyond unitys ik.

22. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

We have a hidden feature we need to expose for this to work. The issue with it is that it will mess with your serialization of the figure since the data doesn't serialize back. It means that you have to do it on a throw away figure, do all your setup, then ditch the gameobject and reimport the .fbx of the figure. I'll let you know when this is ready.

23. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

The skeleton is merged and weights transferred when you attach a clothing item.

Agree on the lod system, it's something we want to do we are just under a major crunch for another agenda and it's not likely this will get addressed for a while.

For the layering, I'll probably open the _Overlay channel up as a configurable piece that the user can choose to reserve from the system. We do have a way to write multiple textures into one very rapidly (how the alpha injection works behind the scenes). This isn't something that we'll likely expose any time soon as far as robust layers, but probably allow you to manage the _Overlay slot if you want it.

Eyes aren't likely to change for a long time, we can't cut geometry around in 1.6 w/o having to deal with vert incompatibilities that has to be resolved first. If you download the latest shaders I put up on google drive you'll see a tint/texture support added to the head slot that works for eyes. If people need more features in that area let me know.

For the scalp, are you referring to doing hair splines instead (eg: hair works/tress fx/etc)

We did have plans on doing optimized baking/merging, it's something we've done a portion of in other projects a, but it would mean that the figure is now "final" and no longer "mcs" and doesn't have any changable parts. That would be the fastest way for us to do it. I'm not sure if we plan to go down that road but I'll talk to the other people here about it.

I think that's how untiy auto does the title, but we can fix it either way, thanks.

We can do a scene, but not that scene (that's an old one done in 1.0 iirc).

24. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Would it be possible to send me a version of your project that just demonstrates the issue? I can take a look and likely fix it if you can do that.

25. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

If you send me your shader I can probably modify it for you to support our alpha channels.

26. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Not likely, we'd have to have some very compelling reasons to allow this. If you use assets through artist tools they don't have to be in the Morph3d folders though.

27. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Sorry about the delay, I was able to recreate an issue that I think you had. I've put it on the list of things to take care of. I'll let you know when it's resolved.

28. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Have you replaced our materials with your own, or shaders?
    Deferred or forward?
    GPU?
    Target OS?
    Can you give a specific asset that you have that has this issue?

29. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I'm going to guess that alien means the JCT system isn't running correctly in sync with animation or something like that. Can you provide a screenshot?
    Can you provide a project that shows this problem?

30. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Yes, you can through Artist Tools: https://www.morph3d.com/community/mcs-artist-tools

If you need more assistance use our ticket system and provide some information about the tooling your using (maya vs blender, and the fbx models).

31. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Sorry about the delay in getting back. Thanks for looking into it and letting me know where it is.

If I remember correctly recalculating the bounds is something that if we trigger it via unity it will leak regardless. We can probably do our own math on this and figure it out instead. I'll see what I can do to reduce the footprint if at all possible, but from what I remember when adding it it was unavoidable through unity's api. I'll verify it either way though.

32. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

1. We don't have any current plans to repaint or redo the uvs of the skin. You can create your own shader and it will work if you provide the same alpha clipping we do.

2. Are you referring to simple tinting or complete painted/photo'd swap outs?

3. Not likely for this release, I'd like to make this easier by exposing the _Overlay functionality so it's simple for anyone that would like to do it themselves though.

4. The eyes are a bit more complicated due to how they work right now. The EyeAndLash shader is actually affecting the eyelashes and the front "wet layer" in front of the eyes. The eye ball/iris/pupil/etc are handled in the Head section. There is a shader I published on here that allows texture/tint changing for the iris and such. Removing/Replacing the eye in 1.6 would be a major project due to vert compatibility with blendshapes/morphs.

5. Not likely. If enough people express some interest then possibly.

33. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Yep that idea will work great. I did something very similar for a gear vr demo a long time ago that allowed makeup swapping.

34. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I remember dealing with this problem a while ago. It's due to the fact that we move the bones after the OnAnimatorIK fires. I think the way I dealt with it was tracking the previous frame bone position and then using the delta and applying it in the ik phase. I'll try to see if I can find my old project next week but I'm not sure I kept it around. Another potential solution would be rebuilding the humandescriptor but that's a larger undertaking.

35. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Another +1 for Final IK it's very good.

36. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

So, I ended up doing my own shader for skin, which includes the ability to create custom clothing using displacement maps, a second layer of PBR, and some tessellation. Right now I'm just setting it up so that it renders some other stuff where there are alphas on the albedo, or I may switch to a mask, which lets me control the eyes a bit better.

And yes, I'm looking at using hair splines. I might be able to do this just with a map or something, though.
    I'm also looking at options for generating hair mesh (just image planes) from hair splines, though it will probably have to use a lot of tricks and hacks

Also, for the baking thing, I'd love it if I could simply bake the character, and then have it store the rest of the data on disk (which I already do using my own character save file and stuff at this point), and if you ever want to change your character again, simply start with the "document" again. (Kind like doing a huge project in photoshop, and then finally rendering all of your layers out into one final texture, instead of making the computer calculate all that stuff pointlessly during runtime.

Also -- welcome back :)

37. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

Great to hear. I'll check back often :)

I've already got my character creator set up:

I've basically got a non-binary tree structure where I store all the slider information, and then serialize that tree directly into a .json file (It's mostly dictionaries), and it loads it up (at about 20 sliders that are different from the default values and only if they are different, per second) when the character is loaded into the character creator (I'm looking into doing this as kind of a default step when loading up the character, so I shouldn't have any troubles with losing morphs

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  38. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

One more thing - I'm trying to use mega-fiers for a clothing solution as well (I'm just using mcs ranger mesh top for lack of assets atm), and I get this problem http://a.pomf.cat/snsonb.webm
    So, in play mode, the mega wrap script seems to think the character mesh has really wide shoulders (probably a skeleton scaling issue). So, when it tries to stick to skeleton-type skinning, it goes to the proper shoulders, but when it tries to conform to the mesh, it goes to where the shoulders would be if it was un-scaled.
    Is there any good solution for this?

I may not use mega-fiers at all though, since when I have it on, it causes a huge memory leak (unity memory jumps up to around 10 gigs) whenever I save, so I might need to do something else...

I'm also thinking of using some sort of cloth physics to "drape" things over the character, then bake the new mesh using vert data from MCS model mesh, but would that have the same issue with the skeleton?

Aaaand, is there any way to make custom morphs for the characters?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  39. MariusRu

MariusRu

Ok, thanks. I'll check out Final IK then.

40. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

As a guess, for the megafiers, this is might be b/c it's reading the bone data before we update it in the frame. There is a OnPostJCT in the JCTTransition component, try doing your modification during that call.

Unfortunately custom morphs, is something we only support internally, we have done this in the past and doe have some tools to accommodate it, but these aren't likely to get released. It also depends on your flow, either if you modify the base body or if you start from scratch.

41. Nyxeka

Nyxeka

I solved the megafiers problem by de-activating and re-activating the meshes that are being modified, after the morphs have been applied.

Also I figured out setting up a scalp for spline hair by just using artist tools to make a scalp. I don't think I'll be using this approach necessarily, as GPU hair is fairly complex, and I want to give my users a runtime solution

42. Rarceth

Rarceth

Welcome back @jjanzer_morph :)

I actually managed to fix my issue, forgot to post here! Due to a design change, I had to restart the project. I found that if i applied Linear colour before i imported my assets, all was dandy. If i imported assets first, then changed colour mode, i get the poke-through.

Was confused about eye tinting until i saw the above post, was looking for a new option in eye and lash :p

Thanks

43. Rarceth

Rarceth

Oh, also, before when i was having the trouble, I was already using your shaders with the alpha compat, it just wasnt working. Just a note to help you figure it out :)

44. Lyle2013

Lyle2013

Hi Morph Team,

I bought MCS Female: RPG Fantasy Pack two days before. After I create my avatar and apply some humanoid animation,The poke through is so obvious(pic below).So I wonder wether if i miss something or the asset is not the newest.
    QQ截图20170907230201.png

one more thing ,I use the hair shader in package, but the result is even worse than the standard double side shader.
    QQ截图20170907230337.png

QQ截图20170907230350.png QQ截图20170907230434.png QQ截图20170907230443.png

All those make me confused. Look forward your reply.

45. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Glad you got it working, also thanks for reporting this. When I get some time I'll try to figure out why the color handling might cause a problem.

46. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

We're taking a look, I'll get back to you in a bit.

47. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Ok we just pulled up the asset from the bundle and it imports and works correctly on our end.

To verify, try going to the Asset in your scene graph and find the first child it will have a CI Clothing component, look at the alpha injection masks section at the bottom. It should have a black/white mask texture in the slot, if it doesn't you can find the texture in the content folder for the asset and drop the texture in.

Let me know if that's the issue, if the mask is present it could be another problem.

Are you using our skin shader or did you replace it?

Goffa-Games likes this.
  48. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Hi guys,

love Morph3d! Right now I'm up against it with a weird bug though - the t-shirt won't stop flickering in my scene. I've seen other things like the skin flicker as well, but that was because the material was set to cutout instead of opaque. not sure what's happening here....

49. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

What platform are you on, is that mobile?
    What GPU?
    Forward or Deferred rendering
    Graphics API?

That somewhat looks like transparency isn't working, and instead of rendering polys which can happen on specific gpus with specific graphics APIS.

What happens if you disable the skinned mesh renderer of the shirt (keep the ci clothing component enabled), does it show transparent polys on the body, or solid polys on the body. Are those polys textured or untextured?

50. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Happens on both my Mac Pro (2013, Fire D500) and Razer Blade (GTX970m), much less noticeable on the PC.

If i disable the SMR, I can see a fully textured body underneath