Search Unity

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. zeb33

zeb33

Yes, found it , LOD group within hair
    Many thanks

2. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I've believe this is now fixed for 1.6.4 which will ship soon. It's happening when you have game objects that have the same name as an existing bone in the bone hierarchy that aren't under a component named "CIattachmentPoint". If it's still interrupting your progress you can try examining your scene graph for the figure it's happening on, find the hip bone expand all and find a game object that is likely a prop/clothing/etc that has a duplicate name such as "hip" or "lHand", etc.

3. Ranter1337

Ranter1337

Using unity 5.6.0f3, when i add a character to the scene without hair attached i am getting an error:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager.ClearHeadOverlay ()
    MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager.SyncHairOverlays ()
    MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager.Start ()

Also on the same version, the alpha injection with the base male model is not working, i am getting bleed through on the clothing in various spots.

4. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Are you using 1.6.2 or 1.6.3. If I remember correctly this issue is resolved with 1.6.3, let me know either way.

5. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Are you using deferred or forward rendering?

6. Ranter1337

Ranter1337

Thanks for the quick reply, i'll update to 1.6.4 when you are able to release since it seems like you will be releasing soon.

7. BitGamey

BitGamey

FYI I'm using Unity 5.5.0f3 and MCS Female 1.6.3

I saw someone comment on this issue before, but I never saw it addressed. Will 1.6.4 fix when you create a prefab and then drag that prefab back into the scene, all the textures go back to normal skin (was zombie)?

Also I suddenly started getting this error:

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,MORPH3D.FOUNDATIONS.MorphGroup].get_Item (System.String key) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:150)
    MORPH3D.FOUNDATIONS.MorphGroupService.GetMorphGroups (System.String name)
    MORPH3D.EDITORS.M3DCharacterManagerEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Characters/MORPH3D/Scripts/Editor/M3DCharacterManagerEditor.cs:153)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1236)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

8. XCO

XCO

This looks really insane.

9. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I'm working on making this part easier, it's a bit complicated right now b/c we allow alpha injection to work in edit non-play mode. I'll probably solve this in the future with custom serialization. In the mean time...

Find your newly created prefab, click on it and expand the Alpha Injection Manager -> Original Material References section.

You should see 12 slots, there are 3 per lod from 0->3
    The order should be:
    (lod0), eye, head, body
    (lod1), body, head, eye
    (lod2), body, head, eye
    (lod3), body, head, eye

Note that the order between 0 and the rest is slightly different.

Drag your materials into those slots, then your prefab should be good to go.

For issue #2 I'll look into this, in the mean time you can try closing and reopening your editor and see if that makes the issue go away.

10. XCO

XCO

Hello Morph 3D,

Sometimes I have to adjust the alpha masks, but I am finding it hard - I keep cutting parts of the body that I dont want too. I was wondering if you guys would consider (this wouldn't even take long) to create a small guide with the PICTURE of the MALE and FEMALE body textures and just Highlight exactly where everything is.

Its hard to tell where the neck ends and this starts you know ? Its like a wall of skin lol :)

Thank You for the GREAT support!

11. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Sure, I'll make this for you and post here when it's ready.

swansonator likes this.
  12. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I created an xcf (gimp file) and pngs. The xcf has layers that tell you the names of the region, you can use the png and replace the albedo on the figure with the appropriate png.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Byi5u41H4gStVURwU0I0eEl1eWs?usp=sharing

That should help you determine where the uv areas lie. I left some obvious mapping out like the hands/feet/etc.

13. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

14. IanAtMorph3D

IanAtMorph3D

At the moment we're doing nothing special with the animator component. The only place our plug-in might run into issues are with blendshapes that change the figure's proportions. In that particular case we're using a late update call to modify the figure's bones.

15. BitGamey

BitGamey

MCS Male/Female1.6.4 just hit the asset store :cool:

XCO likes this.
  16. XCO

XCO

SUPER TY!!

17. XCO

XCO

What does the update do the the prefabs ? Is it safe to just update ?

18. ryschawy

ryschawy

Thanks for the technical insides. I have put my Morph3D investigations more or less on hold (until the technical and visual quality gets mature and stable). But from what you say it sounds like Morph3D is not going to fly using Obi Cloth, since the modification of the bones in late update will affect the mesh after it was processed by Obi Cloth. Would be nice if Morph3D and Obi could collaborate on this topic.

19. WuceBayne

WuceBayne

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
    Unity version: 5.6.1
    MCS version: 1.6.4
    Rendering path: Deferred

Hi,

I downloaded the latest MCS Male package, and I noticed the "Standard Character" shader (for the skin) still doesn't work when using the Deferred rendering path:

mcs1.png

I tried to swap the shader to the Unity Standard shader, then swap it back to the "Standard Character" shader. It fixed the "artifacts" issue, but then the skin doesn't receive any shadow:

mcs2.png

Any workaround for this? Thank you!

20. Xialya

Xialya

I've noticed sales on Morph 3D store, but once in the shopping cart, the discount is no longer applied.
    Anyone else with the same problem?

21. hopeful

hopeful

Be sure to check on the final line before authorizing payment. I think the discounts are applied at the very end, IIRC.

22. Xialya

Xialya

I'm afraid to click on "Place Order" as I'm not sure whether the discount will then be applied or the money will be directly withdrawn at that moment.

23. hopeful

hopeful

Try contacting support on the MCS site.

I agree that it is a better practice to show the discounts early in the sale process, for just this reason.

24. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Ditto.. I have a credit balance in my account at Morph3D and was going to use to pick up a couple of the models during the sale. If that is how their shopping cart works, someone needs to fix that crap... That could be actually robbing them of sales from people thinking the sale is over and just abandoning the cart.. lol

25. Velo222

Velo222

Someone posted before you jjanzer, and I was able to get it fixed to my satisfaction, thank you though! It was a "bounds" problem. All I had to do was checkmark the "calculate bounds each frame" option on the skinned mesh renderer component. For me, this was all I had to do.

It is fixed for me now though, so thank you :)

26. errandfox

errandfox

i need the update because every time my prefab is instantiated it grabs some default material no matter what material I've set in the prefab; how will updating affect my current setup prefabs? [lots of components added/tweaked] i dont want to start from scratch again :(

27. BitGamey

BitGamey

In case you missed it, scroll back up to the workaround in post #2560. I haven't had time to verify it yet, but if that is the fix for each prefab, I can live with that. I am at the stage where I am about to create my prefabs so I can use 1.6.4 and the workaround. I hate when MCS has sales because I have no willpower :D

28. N0R7H

N0R7H

How is the Unity 5.6 compatibility coming along?
    I really would like to update at some point, but do not dare to do so. The suffering due to the MCS 1.6 release was more than enough already for this year.

elvirais likes this.
  29. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

There was a display issue in the cart where the discount wasn't being shown, if you go all the way to checkout though the discount is applied. The display issue has been fixed now.

30. Xialya

Xialya

Awesome, thank you!
    I could pick up some new models. :D

31. BitGamey

BitGamey

Will the sale also be reflected on the Unity Asset Store? So many stories about the EULA, that I would feel more comfortable buying from there.

In other news, I just installed Unity 5.6.1 and imported MCS Male (on the left)/Female 1.6.4 and this is what I see when I drop them into a scene. I attempted applying the zombie skin to the female as her skin was the same as the male.

Is this an issue with the version of Unity, the version of MCS or a combination of both?

UPDATE 1:
    I was able to load MCS Male 1.6.4 into an empty scene in Unity 5.6.1 and there were no problems. Why would it not like being dropped into an existing terrain?

UPDATE 2:
    Once you have dropped the character into the scene, if you go to the each LOD and change the shader dropdown to EXACTLY WHAT IS ALREADY SELECTED, then the skin appears correctly. So my issue is now resolved with a workaround, but I would still like to know if the sale will be migrating to the Asset Store too :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  32. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Are you using deferred rendering?

I need to unify and make an uber shader for our skin to make this more streamlined, we do have a simple skin shader you can try using if you are using deferred and it might fix those weird visual issues you're seeing.

Regarding that behaviour of swapping the shader out and back in that will cause the editor scripts to resync data which will set some keywords and things like that. I'll look into what might not be getting set on the first go around and see if I can get that fixed so you don't have to deal with it in the future.

Not sure about the sale, I'll ask and get back to you.

BitGamey likes this.
  33. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

MCS works with 5.6, the only thing that wasn't fully ported was the 2pass double sided shader which is now deprecated, if you have any assets using it just swap to the standard double sided shader we ship with.

34. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

This is a really tricky thing to fix for us as it's due to how instanced materials and serialization works in unity. We will fix this eventually it's just something that is a bit difficult, time consuming, and very buggy. I will try to get a script call that will properly force your material into the storage buffer, I worked on it earlier but didn't have time to finish it before shipping.

errandfox likes this.
  35. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

There is a basic skin deferred shader we ship that you can use. It's not the same as volund. Eventually I'll make an uber shader that resolves this.

36. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Sorry I've been slammed, I forgot to post the changelog for 1.6.4, it is below:

Prepping work for windows universal support (not quite ready yet)
    Adds support for clearing blendshapes when M3DCharacterManager.Start is called (on by default)
    Added OnPreLODChange and OnPostLODChange events (these are fired during the lod value in M3DCharacterManager changes)
    Improved check for figure testing when importing assets
    Fixed a rare issue with normal texture importing when creating a material
    Added fix to allow Wii U builds to work properly
    Improved error handling when bad mon file exception occurs
    Fixed issue where duplicate bone names in figure bone hierarchy could cause error when attaching or removing clothing, props, and hair
    Added support for running JCT at edit time (note, this should only be used in very specific cases, it will ruin your bone state data), off by default
    Added support for auto closing the jaw (under M3DCharacterManager -> Advanced)

magique likes this.
  37. BitGamey

BitGamey

What is the difference between the basic and volund?

38. S1mon

S1mon

Hey,

I'm looking for frizzy hair. I want to make some Afro-american man and woman. I didn't found that in different hair package.
    Someone know where i can find that.

Thanks

elvirais likes this.
  39. errandfox

errandfox

Ah thanks for that I had the impression it was included in the latest update, I'll leave that as is for now and work on other things. I tried a few different ways to get around it, including having an already instantiated prefab in scene but yeah, is clearly nothing I can get around myself. thanks team.

40. magique

magique

I'm seeing very strange results with hair rendering. I have applied the JakeHairBrown to my character and the further away I am, the more I see prominent white streaks in the hair.

upload_2017-5-24_6-10-52.png

If I turn the Alpha Cutoff all the way to zero then it's obvious where the white is coming from:

upload_2017-5-24_6-12-0.png

But why are there these huge white streaks? I want the hair to be completely brown without these strange artifacts. I'm using the latest 1.6.4 base male model with the male hair pack 2.

41. ryschawy

ryschawy

Can you please tell what the status of this task is?

magique likes this.
  42. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Currently we don't have any hair like that, if you submit a ticket to customer service they can probably accelerate getting one out though.

43. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

They have different models for how the colors and lighting work and what features they support. The deferred shader was just something I wanted to include as a fallback for people that use that, eventually we'll either come out with a new unified skin shader or update volund for proper deferred. The volund one is based on the original Blacksmith demo that unity produced.

BitGamey likes this.
  44. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I'll look into it, in the meantime can you tell me the following:
    Unity Version
    Forward or Deferred
    OS
    GPU

45. magique

magique

Unity Version is 5.5.3f1
    Forward Rendering
    Windows 7 OS
    nVidia 640GT GPU

46. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I had to delay it as I had other stuff to work on unfortunately. I could release a preview that people can use, it should work fine outside of the fact that the tangents may or may not point in the right direction so it's possible the anisotropic highlights might not be in an accurate direction.

47. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I believe this is fixed now and will ship with 1.6.5 if you want a preview release prior to that with the fix let me know.

Typically you can export the package that contains the vendor name + streamingassets/vendorname and that should work. If you modify the fbx or fbx import settings in any way the verts will then be incompatible. I'm not positive that's your issue when transferring though, can you send me a screenshot?

48. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

What happens if you go to the albedo texture (should be Assets/MORPH3D/Content/JakeHair/Materials/JakeHairBrown/Textures/albedo.png) and set "Alpha is transparency" to on?

If you have the material set to using cutoff it's doing alpha testing, when that value is set to 0 it will have no transparency, which means the actual transparent parts of the texture would normally be white in this case if "alpha is transparency" is disabled. Generally speaking the value should be above 0 or you'll get artifacts. What value do you have it set to where you still see streaks?

49. magique

magique

I'll double check, but I think I got the same results when I tried that. I'll check again this evening and let you know.

It was the default value of 0.2, but I tried other values and it didn't help that much, but I can experiment more.

[EDIT]
    With transparency on then the hair just looks all wrong. Most of it becomes invisible and the rest just look painted on the head.

If I change the cutoff value to make it higher then the streaks get less noticeable, but the hair gradually disappears until all there is is flat painted on hair.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  50. MaskedGibbon

MaskedGibbon

Is hair meant to be working at the moment? I have the same scalp revealing results that other people have demonstrated in this thread (Micah hair or Vamptress).

Also, is an eye colour option in the works? Because currently the default female has dead shark eyes largely due to the lack of colour (it's a very dark green).

Makeup options would also be much appreciated (especially as the Vamptress promotional images showed her with lipstick, but then you install the pack and find that there are no new base model textures supplied with the pack).

Ideally there should be a way to customize this at runtime, beyond making a ton of variations of the base textures.