Search Unity

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. BitGamey

BitGamey

1.6.3 is released. Go get it

2. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

1. I would just go into the scene graph and remove the lods you do not need manually. Until we have a better system this is the way I would suggest (or maybe automate this by writing a script)
    2. Sorry I don't understand this question, can you be more specific here, are you referring to M3DCharacterManager or more low level like blendshapes?
    3. That depends on your use case. Generally speaking I would suggest Resources as these are easier to deal with on all platforms and generally speaking loading 100% of the item into memory isn't a problem when you'd need 100% of the data anyway. The reason we use streaming morphs to store the actual morph data is so that we don't have to load in 100% of the file if we just pull a few morphs out.
    4. This is generally done by doing something like ContentPack cp = new ContentPack(GameObjectThatIsTheClothingPrefab); charMan.AddContentPack(cp); You can see how this is done directly by looking at the M3DCharacterManagerEditor script if you need more specifics, but I can also give you a script if you really need on that does this.

3. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I responded to your PM, for anyone else wondering. 1.6.4 will likely work out of the box for Wii U, however I'm not sure how long we'll continue to support this platform as it is EOL'd from Nintendo. It mostly depends on demand and how hard it will be to continue support.

4. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

You need to hit play for the bones to move and start syncing. This is part of our JCT system and it's not supported during Editor time, only play time. Does that answer your question?

5. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I believe we shipped these with 1.6.2. They are in Assets/MORPH3D/Content/M3DFemale/Figure/M3DFemale/Materials/Creatures (and M3DMale), you'll find some precreated materials and textures inside there.

XCO likes this.
  6. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

5.6 had quite a few changes to how shaders work and it required a lot more work then I originally thought to upgrade these. This is complicated with the fact that we still officially support 5.3 as it's still a popular target. Because of this I didn't want to delay the release for bug fixes.

That out of the way, I'm working on getting everything updated for 5.6 and I'll get a new release out most likely this week.

XCO likes this.
  7. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

We submitted the packages, they are processing. It doesn't usually take too long for updates to propagate out so you should see them soon. 1.6.3 doesn't have everything updated for 5.6 though, I'm working on that this week.

XCO likes this.
  8. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Content pack issues are content corrections now which the content team is working to get them all updated and out. It's possible the odd piece or two will require a code update which I will address if that comes up.

Tinting not effecting things like teeth/eyes/etc will require new functionality that we haven't supported before. We could solve this in a large variety of ways (uv bounds in the shader, baking out a new texture, adding another draw call to handle the teeth, etc). This is on the radar, but it requires some additional thought in how we go about it (almost entirely for how we trade ease of development and support vs performance).

9. GeekCats

GeekCats

So, for who uses 5.6 only 1.6.4 will work?

10. N0R7H

N0R7H

@jjanzer_morph
    Hey!
    While I think it is great that 1.6.3 is here, there seems to be one fix missing that was promised:
    Props are still not attached properly!
    I just tried with the Knight of the Wolf (male) and the Elven Sentinel (female) and I do not see any change in behavior of those weapons (see attached screenshot).

The one thing that has changed for some reason is that the Knight of the Wolf now has a greatsword and no shield any more. Same goes for the Lady of War package. The Knight Guard (male) still has his shield, but that package has not been updated after the initial 1.6 release.

I must say that I find it absolutely outrageous that you (your company that is) just remove these assets from the packages.
    We purchased a very specific product, for its contents. You removing parts of it because it is to cumbersome for you to fix your mess, is an absolute no go!

So please bring those shields back and please get the prop attaching fixed!

Attached Files:

11. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Our stuff works in 5.6. The only problems I'm aware of are the 2 shaders deprecated 2pass-Double Sided (and half depth) shader we ship with, which has a usable alternative Standard - Double Sided shader which you can use if for some reason you swap off the standard double sided shader.

I just haven't run our full set of tests against 5.6. If something doesn't work properly please let me know and I'll get it fixed asap.

12. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I'll look into this, it may be a specific issue with the content. I'll keep you updated.

Regarding content, the best way to get any resolution is to submit a support ticket. I don't mind talking to the content team, but it's not ideal as it doesn't go into the ticketing system which they use to track problems.

13. N0R7H

N0R7H

@jjanzer_morph
    Okay, I will submit a ticket for the missing shields, but I assume the prop positioning is something you have to fix?

14. BitGamey

BitGamey

Presumably my existing ticket is still open.

The good news? The male still acts exactly the same as 1.6.2.
    The bad news? I still get errors when attaching 'vanishing' props.

I did the following:

1. Dragged a new MCS Male prefab into the scene.
    2. Added all content packs for the OWK, except for the poleaxe and shield (I didn't reimport since OWK hadn't been updated).
    3. Dragged the poleaxe as a child of rHandAttachmentPointR.

The poleaxe appeared right up to the point where I clicked play, then I saw errors and the poleaxe disappeared, just like it did with 1.6.2. Beyond frustrating, sooooooo, I reimported OWK and the poleaxe reappeared again...until I pressed play.

I do not own this mesh, skipping: OWK Pole Axe_LOD0 from: M3DMale
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem:DetectCoreMeshes()
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem:get_currentCoreMesh()
    JCTTransition:get_MeshRender()
    JCTTransition:SubscribeToBindPoseChanges(SkinnedMeshRenderer)
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem:TrySubscribeToJcts()
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem:Start()

Please try removing the content pack, reimporting the asset's .mon file, then reattaching
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem:DetectCoreMeshes()
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem:get_currentCoreMesh()
    JCTTransition:get_MeshRender()
    JCTTransition:SubscribeToBindPoseChanges(SkinnedMeshRenderer)
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem:TrySubscribeToJcts()
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem:Start()

I do not own this mesh, skipping: OWK Pole Axe_LOD1 from: M3DMale
    I do not own this mesh, skipping: OWK Pole Axe_LOD2 from: M3DMale
    I do not own this mesh, skipping: OWK Pole Axe_LOD3 from: M3DMale

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    Parameter name: key
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer,UnityEngine.Matrix4x4[]].ContainsKey (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer key) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:458)
    JCTTransition.SubscribeToBindPoseChanges (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer sub)
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem.TrySubscribeToJcts ()
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem.Start ()

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    JCTTransition.UnsubscribeToBindPoseChanges (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer smr)
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem.UnsubscribeToJCTs ()
    MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem.OnDestroy ()

15. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I just took a look at the KotW and ES content packs. The KotW has the correct prop position (if you anchor it to the rhand it will attach near the wrist). All props will require slight adjustments by the user based on how they want them oriented or how animations grip the item. For the ES sword it's definitely wrong.

Because we don't currently support offsets/rotations per-attachment point (something the next major release may address, not a 1.6 thing), I think the best course of action is for me to simply zero out any rotation/position that might already exist when attaching props. In the mean time here's how you can work around this issue until we either resolve this as a content update or a future code release:

1. Drag the sword prefab into the scene.
    2. Find the LODs (CoreMesh items) in the graph and drag them so they are parented to the ESClaymore top level node.
    3. Go to the transform and zero out position/rotations.
    4. Then drag the ESCalymore parent back into your project folder as a new prefab.
    5. Then attach that prefab to the figure (remove the original content pack and attachment entry).

16. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Looking into it. If you want a potential temporary workaround you can try removing the components for CIProp, CoreMeshMetaData, and CoreMesh. Or use the FBX and attach the materials manually. That will effectively make it so it's just a simple MeshFilter/SMR instead of MCS trying to do anything special with it.

BitGamey likes this.
  17. GeekCats

GeekCats

1.6.3 is available in AssetStore!!!!!

swansonator likes this.
  18. GeekCats

GeekCats

Personal Trainer was not updated.

And is missing white cloths. In 1.0 was and in AssetStore show white cloths. And we by because this materials.

@jjanzer_morph
    Can you put this material in dropbox to download?

19. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I can't reproduce this issue. If you can verify you have 1.6.3 try reimporting the figure, and prop, then add the figure back into the scene, then add it to the skeleton/attachment point. You will still get a warning (as it doesn't know how to handle the asset properly) but it shouldn't disappear.

As a side note these props should work through the normal attachment system (I just verified this with 1.6.3, unity 5.3).

If you still get the same issue, can you try on a fresh project?

BitGamey likes this.
  20. N0R7H

N0R7H

@jjanzer_morph
    Repositioning the LODs works to a degree and might be a temporary workaround, but it definitely is not satisfactory.
    Especially since these problems exist since the 1.6 release and where promised to get fixed with each and every update since then.

Also you can't be serious about the rotation of male's sword being acceptable.
    All this stuff worked just fine in the 1.0 releases!

In fact, is there any way of getting download links for all those older versions?
    I really am getting way too annoyed by this...

21. BitGamey

BitGamey

Removing the components made no difference. Adding the FBX and manually adding materials worked to keep it in the scene, but now the animation of the slashing that worked perfectly with 1.0 somehow flips the axe the wrong way towards the end. Guess I'll wait for 1.6.4.

EDIT: Just saw your other reply, I'll try that.

22. GeekCats

GeekCats

Bug Number 1:
    Unity 5.6, Morph 1.6.3, Lawless 1.6.2

GAS MASK is not working!!!

Mask.jpg

23. GeekCats

GeekCats

Bug Number 2:

When you put the hair Lawless, head turn invisible and you can see eyes, and Teeth !!!

Other, in AssetStore you show a beautiful hair, very realistic, How can I setup to get the same result?

hariInvisble.jpg

24. GeekCats

GeekCats

Bug Number 3: DogTag - ArmyUniform with problem

Check the image, you can see dog tag crossing the neck and t-shirt.

DogTag.jpg

25. GeekCats

GeekCats

Bug Number 4: Urban Enforce - TShirt with problem

See the image to see the problem with t-shirt material.

UrbanEnforce.jpg

26. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

This is because the shader on the shirt isn't supported in Unity 5.6. You'll need to swap the shader to one that is compatible with 5.6 (@jjanzer_morph made some suggestions above).

27. BitGamey

BitGamey

Everything works as it should in a new project thanks. Whatever is making it fail in my existing project must be debris from previously failed assets.

28. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

If you end up reimporting assets and it still doesn't work, sometimes simply closing the editor and reopening it fixes hard to reproduce issues. Not a great solution but it's something to try as a last resort.

orvedal and BitGamey like this.
  29. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Moving the lods around is definitely a temp fix, the content team will need to resolve it so it's not required. I just suggested it as a way to so you could move forward w/o waiting for the team to update.

Having a pre-baked offset/rotation worked in 1.0 only for a single attachment point (kind of a default artist chosen point); if you chose an attachment point that it wasn't defaulted for you'd have to make corrections manually. This is a problem we'd like to address in a future release. To solve this for many points requires a lot of thought in either programatically choosing a proper rotation/offset/etc or lots of hand crafted points. It's definitely something we'd like to address though.

You can contact customer support regarding 1.0 if you'd like.

30. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Looks like the gas mask is a prop, so you can attach it to the head. I just attached it and had to nudge it around a little. I'll let the content team know that they need to update the default position though.
    Hair had an AI mask, you can remove this by finding M3DMale/LSHair/LSHair and delete the Alpha Mask: Head texture, then hide/show or hit play/stop to trigger repaint of the AI system. I'll let them know about the mask as this should not be auto attached.
    We're working on improving the visual quality of hair.
    For the dog tag are you expecting the dog tag on top or below the shirt?

31. N0R7H

N0R7H

@jjanzer_morph
    Okay, thanks for the more detailed information. I had noticed in the past that attaching a weapon to a different attachment point resulted in weird orientations but I thought it was just a bug. It never occurred to me, that this basically was not possible or implemented, yet.

How would one go about and attach those props then? Figure out in the editor how it should be positioned & rotated on a specific attachment point and adjust those values when attaching via script?

32. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Yes, generally looking at the M3DCharacterManagerEditor is a good way to figure out how attaching/showing/hiding/etc works.

You could do something like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using MORPH3D.COSTUMING;
    2. //...
    4. //if attachment point doesn't exist yet...
    5. CIattachmentPoint ap = charMan.CreateAttachmentPointOnBone(nameOfBone)
    6. //Set orientation of availableprops prop from scene or do it after attachment
    7. //attach prop by id to attachment point
    8. charMan.AttachPropToAttachmentPoint(propID,ap.attachmentPointName);

N0R7H likes this.
  33. celebrus

celebrus

The images they use aren't rendered inside of unity.

I have some info about how i get decent looking hair earlier in this thread:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...s-male-and-female.355675/page-39#post-2982393

It takes some work and is not ideal for performance. I too would like a solution out of the box, but Morph3D didn't respond to that portion of my post.

N0R7H likes this.
  34. ryschawy

ryschawy

Morph3D doesn't provide and maintain any working examples for the MCS asset, e.g. example scene with male and or female character using the standard 1st and or 3rd person controller. This would avoid a lot of unnecessary questions, confusion, frustration and misunderstandings and even wrong expectations for both Morph3D and the community. Are there any good reasons why Morph3D doesn't provide and maintain examples for the MCS asset? Just to be clear: Every serious complex professional asset needs working examples that are maintained by the provider.

N0R7H likes this.
  35. THplusplusx

THplusplusx

I am trying my best to keep a picture of the current state of features/development of MCS, but I find it harder and harder the more pages this thread gets.
    Will there be a dedicated support forum for MORPH3D products any time soon? Just imagine: separate threads for separate topics..! Threads that get closed once the question is answered/the issue resolved..! Not having to try to untangle a dozen questions that are yet unanswered inside this one monster of a thread on the Unity forum..!

*dreams*

I personally have several questions that I would like to ask. But neither do I know if they have already been adressed in the big thread, nor do I feel that such a big thread would be the right place to ask them.

36. N0R7H

N0R7H

@jjanzer_morph
    Thank you, I will make sure to try that out as soon as I can.

While I do not necessarily agree with the notion that every serious complex professional asset needs working examples. Good documentation is way more important! (<-BIG-HINT!!!)
    But I definitely agree that having en example would heavily reduce the amount of basic questions people have and therefore the workload on the Morph3D-Team, especially @jjanzer_morph.
    My latest few questions for instance would easily have been answered by a single example scene.
    I do understand and support though, that fixing the defects takes precedence.

37. ryschawy

ryschawy

I see it like this:
    documentation = in theory
    working examples = in practice

My point is that providing and maintaining working examples do help find and resolve technical issues in an early state - at best before the customer does :)
    You can call it test driven development for plugins if you want.

hopeful likes this.
  38. N0R7H

N0R7H

Yep, I agree in all your points here.
    The thing is that without documentation it is basically impossible to extend what an example explains to you.
    A documentation allows you to figure it all out by yourself, while an example shows you only what it shows and nothing else.

All given that the all the stuff works as intended and documented. ;)
    And yes, the example scene helps the customer a lot and also doubles as a test-bench for the developer.
    I wanted to point that out in my previous post too, but it slipped my mind again while typing... :confused:

elvirais likes this.
  39. GeekCats

GeekCats

I was expecting on top. the shirt.

40. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

We definitely want to provide a set of solid examples and docs, and we will provide these in the near future; there is just so much work to do and we have to triage. Right now we're focusing on resolving current issues (both code and content), these are starting to clear up so I expect to be able to produce these soon for everyone.

41. Razzle_Dazzle3D

Razzle_Dazzle3D

I would encourage you to open a ticket with us regarding these questions that you have. You'll get a faster response and we can keep track of your issues / concerns if they need to be addressed in a future update.

You can open a ticket with us here: https://morph3dhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

42. BitGamey

BitGamey

I too am curious why the example images and video on every one of the assets looks much better than what you actually get. It's like bait-and-switch. Don't misunderstand me, I am happy with the assets I got, I just think that to show them in Unreal or with highly modified shaders/post processing effects or whatever else was done to them to present in the store, it should be what you actually end up with.

chiapet1021, elvirais and hopeful like this.
  43. magique

magique

I agree. That's the same thing I was thinking when I first got one of the assets. They look like Daz renders or something.

elvirais likes this.
  44. XCO

XCO

Hello Morph,

I am testing the new 1.6 on the PS4 and I am getting this error:

Exception: Failed Assembling PS4: C:\Users\Vik\Documents\UNITY PROJECTS\TESTMCS16\Temp/StagingArea/Data\AOTCompileStep\M3D_DLL.dll
    Assembler messages:
    Error: can't open C:\Users\Viki\Documents\UNITY PROJECTS\TESTMCS16\Temp/StagingArea/Data\AOTCompileStep\M3D_DLL.dll.s for reading: No such file or directory

do you know what this means ?

45. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I responded in a PM.

46. swansonator

swansonator

I guess you guys have never eaten at a restaurant after first seeing an ad. I'll defend their marketing tactics because we all do the same exact thing (in our own way) in order to attract customers. Likely rendered in Daz but who's to say that Unity can't achieve similar results in due time. It's not the fault of the asset that it doesn't look that good, it's Unity's fault that their lighting isn't as sophisticated, meanwhile the asset is 100% capable of achieving that look.

47. magique

magique

Speak for yourself. I don't do any such thing. The point, in this case, is that we should only see images of the product at use in Unity because that's what we are using the product in. I don't care if they use 3rd party post effects and render at highest possible resolution and lighting fidelity, but just keep the images in Unity.

TeagansDad, S_Winx, elvirais and 2 others like this.
  48. ImFromTheFuture

ImFromTheFuture

I've been trying to add custom clothes to the MCS Female model. How do I go about doing that? The blendshapes do not work with the model that I created. Do I need to create the blendshapes for the custom model as well? The injection masks are also a bit problematic because I tried using shorts on MCS Female and the rest of the legs were invisible. So, do I need to change the injection mask at run time? If yes, can you direct me to the correct solution? Thanks!

49. Mooshoo-Labs

Mooshoo-Labs

Hi,

Someone from our team posted a few days ago about issues with prefabs and the morph3d system. Everything is working perfectly in the latest update, thank you so much for the hard work you've been putting, fixing all those issues in record time. Keep up the amazing work, you guys are creating one hell of a product.

Chai

50. zeb33

zeb33

Hi
    Any clues what is causing this?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CostumeItem.setLODLevel (Single lodlevel, Boolean broadcast_change)
    3. MORPH3D.COSTUMING.CIhair.setLODLevel (Single lodlevel, Boolean broadcast_change)
    4. MORPH3D.SERVICES.CostumeModel.SetItemLODLevel (Single level)
    5. MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager.SyncCurrentLODLevel (Single level)
    6. MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager.initCharacterManager (Boolean refresh)
    7. MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager.Start ()