Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. go1dfish

go1dfish

Im not a lawyer, but it says "additional", not "later", just because the rights afforded to me by my Asset Store purchase came before any granted to me under the M3D eula would not seem to invalidate the Asset Store rights.

One case that's a little cloudier to me is if you are using both asset store and m3d store assets. I think your asset store content would likely count towards the EULA's magic numbers, but I don't think the EULA would be able to actually enforce restrictions on your asset store content, only the morph3 store content.

Of course, the truth of the matter is that even if everything I'm saying here is legally and factually true; the EULA still has a chilling effect due to the confusion it has created.

2. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

If you purchased MCS Male or MCS Female at any point (ie paid money for either figure) please submit a ticket to morph3dhelp.zendesk.com with your UAS Invaoice number for the purchase(s) or the Morph 3D order number if purchased through Morph 3D. You will receive the following:

1. Artist Tools License good until the end of 2017. (This won't be immediately added to your account as the license to use the tools is still free, but we'll get it added soon.)
    2. Morph 3D store credit for the amount paid for the figure(s).

John-G, CplMulder, FredrikSwe and 4 others like this.
  3. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

[PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT]
    Since it's a new page on the thread and the situation has not yet been resolved, here's a summary of the current situation for any newcomers, so that they don't purchase any M3D products without being properly informed.

First off, after a year, we finally got a release of the Artist Tools that M3D has been promising since day 1, which allow artists to adapt their own clothing and accessories to the MCS system (yay!). Most of the models have also been updated to 1.6, with massive performance improvements and other fixes (double yay!).

However, the new update is actually broken right now. Crashes, losing prefab references, invisible clothing/characters in builds, etc- it's a mess. They're preparing to release a fix now, so it shouldn't be more than a couple of days until we're actually up and running though.

*This does, however, mean that there still hasn't been a single day yet since MCS has been released where it's been actually working as advertised (first with lack of Tools and horrible performance, and now a broken system)- everyone's pretty confident it'll be up and running soon, but this fact is the root cause of a lot of the real frustration here IMO, if the rage seems a little out-of-proportion to the current issues.

Several MCS products on the Asset Store, like the Lizard Man, have been suddenly deprecated rather than updated to 1.6, and the base models have suddenly gone from $50 USD to Free, while the previously free Lite models have been removed completely. MCS has said that those who purchased these products before will be compensated for their loss, and it looks like they're following through on that (see above post), so there's one less thing to worry about..

Now comes the really annoying part. Some new aspects of the M3D EULA have come to light:
    • You cannot use M3D products as In-App Purchases without an additional license purchase.
    • You cannot use M3D products as streaming assets in games with more than 20 clothing items on screen at a time, or 50 users per instance, whatever that's supposed to mean, without an additional license purchase.
    • You have to pay for the Artist Tools to adapt your own clothing assets to the system, even though it was advertised as a part of the system since the product's inception and we had to wait over a year to actually get it (this is not a huge deal- just making sure no one's surprised by this fact anymore).
    • You cannot sell assets adapted with the Artist Tools on the UAS, or your own personal stores, and instead have to sell them only through M3D-approved vendors where they can get a cut of the action (this is the biggest problem IMO).

The M3D PR guy has said they're now working on revising the EULA based on the complaints, but if you're planning on making an MMO, using In-App Purchases for clothing, or selling MCS-compatible clothing and characters, I'd wait for the new revised EULA before spending any more money on the system.
    [END PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT]

As always, keep in mind that third-party EULAs do not apply to Asset Store products, because they are specifically forbidden in the UAS EULA that the developers agree to when selling there. None of the aforementioned restrictions can apply to purchases made directly through the UAS, but they can and will apply to purchases made directly through the Morph3D store and to items adapted for use through the Artist Tools.

Have a nice day everyone!

4. EDarkness

EDarkness

I could do this, but I'm afraid of using the Morph 3D store due to the crazy EULA. I'll just stick with buying things on the Unity Asset Store right now. Was going to add Morph 3D to my project, but I think I'll wait until whatever problems it's having get fixed. It's not easy to remove things from my project.

5. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

You don't have to do it right away. Right now there isn't a cut-off date for the offer. I'm sure we'll keep running it after the dust has settled so to speak.

6. hopeful

hopeful

I would add that it is not clear to me how one other aspect of the Morph3D EULA operates. And that is, if you have purchased items from the Unity store and are protected by their EULA, and then you download the free artist tools from the MCS store, are you then considered to be voluntarily giving up your Unity rights in favor of the Morph3D EULA?

Up top, the Morph3D EULA says:

If User does not agree to the terms of this Agreement, User must not select the "Accept" button below or download or use Content from Morph 3D.

User hereby indicates User’s complete and unconditional acceptance of all the terms and conditions of this Agreement. [...] Except for any signed agreement between Morph 3D and User, this agreement supersedes and replaces any other agreement between these parties.​

So maybe you keep your Unity rights, because those are rights obtained from Unity. Or, maybe there's some sort of legal standing for Morph3D where they still have the ability to enforce their property rights even when they are selling through the Unity store, and thus this EULA winds up superseding your Unity rights after all.

7. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

There is literally no way, even through any sort of agreement with M3D, for you to give up or alter your license for assets obtained through the UAS. The only way you can give up your UAS license, that I know of, is to actually write an email or open a ticket with Unity saying that you no longer want the product. Once the product is removed from your asset list on the UAS, you'll have "given up your rights".

Like I said, it's an island.

To put it in perspective, if you took an asset that's sold on the UAS and downloaded it, then took the exact same asset (identical in every way) and downloaded it from the M3D store, you'd have two assets with different licenses. Your downloading the M3D "version" does not give up your rights to the UAS version, because it's an island.

That said, if you take those assets and you then modify them using the Artist Tools, then they become something different (no matter how moronic that is, in this context). It would be exactly the same as taking a product you make from scratch, with no license at all, and using the Tools on that. Through modification with the program, you're applying their license to the results in a way that has nothing to do with the UAS license, because it becomes a different asset.

You can always download the UAS version again, or keep a copy separate, and that one will just have the UAS license.

Make sense? Anyways, the one to clarify this would probably be @Ian-Dunlap , but I'm fairly certain of my interpretation, thanks to my exchanges with the Unity staff.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Anisoropos, hopeful and go1dfish like this.
  8. Fenris2

Fenris2

Functionally Lysander is correct in so far as I know of contracts in the US anyway (keeping in mind I am not a lawyer but have dealt with contracts somewhat). There is a big catch however. The M3D EULA is designed to protect them and it does just that. Unfortunately it clouds things badly with its broad reach. And while in court no doubt _eventually_ the Unity EULA would prevail. That still leaves three bad scenarios.

1) If M3D chose to make a stink over your game for some reason - like it was financially successful. Or, more likely, someone bought M3D later, like was done for Compuserve for gif rights. Where upon the rights holders try to shake you down for say $2k if court would cost you $20k to defend _and_ take a year or so to resolve. What do you do?

2) You pitch your game to angels, and they say sounds great. Now do you own your IP or have clean license to it? You say yeah... Well, um probably. You see there is this company which could try to make a stink over X, but we would win due to Y... Well, kiss your funding good bye. VC is risky enough as is - without potential IP issues. And they will ask this for sure. Been there, done that.

3) Some country you sell into has law structured so that it is in doubt.

This is why I asked for M3D to explicitly call out that Unity EULA is exempted from whatever they have as their EULA.

Sometimes law is not just about the letter of the law and eventual outcomes, its about perceived risks *today* and the threat of suit.

9. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

@Fenris2 Indeed, but now that the actual Unity team is involved in this situation, I doubt it would come to that- at the very least I'm sure they'll be asking for verification from the M3D team that they understand the EULA they agreed to when they posted things on the store. That'll be even better than getting their PR guy here to admit to the conflicts in the licenses, and that Unity's EULA always comes out on top, because it means Unity will have a vested interest in protecting itself as well as us, down the line (if it comes to that).

A bigger concern, to me, is the possibility that this causes the M3D team to throw a fit and just remove everything from the store here. That would be a self-destructive move IMO, and they'd lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit and eventually destroy their own product, but it's still possible.

This is the worry that kept a lot of people from wanting to make a big fuss about the EULA, and of course that's a mistake since it just leaves us open to be completely screwed by it later, as you've pointed out. The M3D team rewriting the EULA now is a good sign, but them clarifying their stance through more concrete language doesn't necessarily mean the result will be acceptable.

Crossing my fingers.

umutozkan and go1dfish like this.
  10. Fenris2

Fenris2

Just to clarify I meant I asked that the new M3D EULA has language in it that calls out that Unity EULA is 'law of the land' for stuff bought through asset store. Not that their PR guy says boo or not here on the forum.:p

11. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

That would be nice, but since the Unity EULA is so overwhelmingly exclusive, it feels really redundant. Like the Falcons having to sign a sheet of paper admitting that they lost in the Superbowl for it to be official. I somehow doubt they'd go that far, and a simple statement to the Unity team that they understand that their custom EULA doesn't apply to Asset Store assets, I feel, would be just as good, since it clearly shows the intent.

The actual legality of it doesn't change regardless, since the Unity EULA just can't be overridden or altered, but in the latter case at least there's a chance Unity will take offense and take on the fight so we don't have to ourselves. That alleviates some of the worry, I feel. *shrugs*

We'll see what happens though. *gets popcorn*

12. CplMulder

CplMulder

Mmmm.... so if the UAS agreement does in fact supercede the MCS one.... then the MCS models I bought on the UAS for good money (that they are now giving away free) could be used in a MMORPG but the costumes that I bought for good money on the MCS web store (and in good faith before this sh1tstorm kicked up) would be worthless if my game had more than 50 users "interacting" with one another... whatever that means.....

13. CplMulder

CplMulder

Ok so lets define "interacting"..
    • does shooting a mortar over 15km into the air and blowing someone to bits that you have never met or seen in a game constitute "interacting" I wonder... I did not actually interact with the player... the mortar bomb did...
    • when dealing with the abstract plots of games (especially sci-fi or fantasy) who can really define "interaction"... perhaps it is not me at all .... perhaps in my horror plot it is just an ancient image of me imprinted in your mind... are we still "interacting"?.... c'mon guys really??... has anyone actually thought this through at all!
    This whole more than 50 user thing sounds to me like MCS saying... "if you ever make it big.... or even get slightly close to making it.. please contact us so we can get a piece of the pie !!" - I think not!! 50 users! Even Gamespark, Playfab and Photon start cashing in at 100,000 MAU for crying out loud!!

14. CplMulder

CplMulder

This all just beggars belief!!

MCS are riding the fact that there is not any real competition at the moment... so here are my choices :
    • MCS - lets be honest, I like the concept and the models look good, despite the numerous bugs - but we will all agree that we have a few hurdles to clear here!
    • Makehuman - it's kinda ok, once you comply with the CCO license and if you do not need to customise characters - but definitely not AAA looks by far...
    • UMA2 - all characters look like weird "ripped" zombies whether you design them to be or not... I've never managed to get a good looking character out of it... the characters somehow give me the sh1ts and nightmares!
    • Mixamo - they are currently being bought out by Adobe... so Fuse is also on hold... soon to be part of the "creative cloud", it will join in the huge CC rip-off scheme (longer-story, please beware folks - PM me for info) - for now there are however a few free models and animations to be had.
    • Autodesk Character designer - not cheap and also trying this feckin subscription model... once you pay an annual subscription you only get about 50 credits which amounts to about 10 different models... out of credits... gimme some more cash it seems!
    • ManuelbastioniLAB - now this one I need to check out a bit more.... a opensource plugin for Blender so not sure about licensing but looks promising!! please feel free to let me know if you have tried it!
    If I have missed any options please tell me....

I am so frustrated with the time and love I have put into my MCS based characters in my stories... they feel like family members to me that I may now have to "murder" and re-invent from scratch... it has taken me ages to get the characters just right!

Once again I say, why must this be so hard.... good quality human characters are central to most games... why are there so few good choices?

This is actually giving me sleepless nights FFS!

15. go1dfish

go1dfish

From my profiling experiments so far (with 8 characters), having 50 MCS characters active and capable of morphing (but not actually morphed i.e. no morphs attached) at once would cost you >5ms of CPU time per frame just in JCCTransition.LateUpdate not counting anything else, seemingly independent of LOD level as well.

You can disable that component, but then (most of?) your morphs don't get applied. Doesn't seem like you can update it to get changes and then turn it back off either. Maybe there is some way to bake a morphed character for use until you plan to make changes. If not this would be a useful addition for performance.

ryschawy likes this.
  16. CplMulder

CplMulder

I had a scene with just 5 unique MCS characters in it and it took ages to load the - the frame rate was also terrible... perhaps the 50 character instance restriction in the EULA is the least of our problems anyway?

Jyrry likes this.
  17. go1dfish

go1dfish

The 1.6 update does MASSIVELY improve the instantiation time of clothed figures.

Pre 1.6 loading in 8 characters even was unbearably slow. With 1.6 loading and clothing 8 figures is not noticeably different from more standard character models. I'll probably start running some tests with larger numbers of figures soon.

Jyrry and Astaelan1 like this.
  18. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

To be fair to MCS though on this point, the EULA aspects don't reflect the current state of the system. Whether you look at streaming, big content libraries, or this simpler issue of not being able to HAVE 50 on screen right now. The fact is, they intend for it to be capable of it, and while there has been some good reported improvements on load times they may still have some work to do in the optimizations of the injection masking and other areas related to the higher cost on the morphs.
    Great that you're reporting this though, so please don't feel this is a negative reaction, just want to be clear that it's probably not the expected endgame with the performance.

Short version, performance is lacking, intention seems to be that they WANT to be capable of 50+ on screen at once (by the implication of getting "special permissions"), but simply put the system isn't there yet. And given this is the first release on the new Genesis 3 based system, I'm willing to give a little leeway in working out the kinks. I do expect it a priority, but not nearly so much as getting the EULA stuff sorted so people can decide if M3D is even for them or not.

I wanted to hold my tongue, but rewriting the EULA doesn't sound like it's fixing the issues, much like I said before I expect it to shift constraints and not remove them. I'll just leave it at that for now.

Jyrry and go1dfish like this.
  19. GameMadeByGamers

GameMadeByGamers

Ok so i know that the eula problem is not corrected and the prefab one but i got some good hope , so i did continue to find a good workflow blender to unity with the figure of morph3d.(check my old post to https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...s-male-and-female.355675/page-35#post-2975457 ).

One problem i step on when trying to edit the armature for animation inside blender is that "mirror" effects dont work because of the naming convention use in Maya , so here a script to easily past to one in another :
    (open the text editor inside unity by shift+F11 )

"THIS IS PYTHON CODE"
    Code (CSharp):
    1. import bpy
    2. choice = 0
    3. ob = bpy.context.object
    4. #FOR FBX TO BLEND
    5. if choice == 0:
    6.     if ob.type == 'ARMATURE':
    7.         armature = ob.data
    8.     for bone in armature.bones:
    9.         if bone.name[:1] == "l":
    10.             bone.name = bone.name[1:]
    11.             bone.name = bone.name + ".l"
    12.         if bone.name[:1] == "r":
    13.             bone.name = bone.name[1:]
    14.             bone.name = bone.name + ".r"
    16. #FOR BLEND TO FBX
    17. if choice == 1:
    18.     if ob.type == 'ARMATURE':
    19.         armature = ob.data
    20.         for bone in armature.bones:
    21.             if bone.name[-2:] == ".l":
    22.                 bone.name = bone.name[:-2]
    23.                 bone.name = "l" + bone.name
    24.             if bone.name[-2:] == ".r":
    25.                 bone.name = bone.name[:-2]
    26.                 bone.name = "r" + bone.name
    *Quick update now it's a two in one script just change the "choice" variable for what you need

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  20. ELC2909

ELC2909

How about iClone 7? They seem to have open architecture (API)

CplMulder likes this.
  21. umutozkan

umutozkan

Although models look better, ManuelbastioniLab is like Makehuman about the way it works. I mean you creaate the model and edit the morphs in blender, then export it. It's no longer editable in the game. (Correct me if I am wrong)

I just want to point out that UMA is different than the others mentioned. Beside the fact that it is open source, it is a framework for bone driven morphable characters (Benefits of bone vs blendshape is open to discussion but it's not the point I am trying to make). and the characters are just "examples" or a "base" for what can be achieved. Theoretically, one skilled artist can create much better looking 3D models for UMA, and it would work.

I am trying to do just that btw (although I am not an artist, so learning and making takes a lot of time). If I ever succeed in creating a better looking UMA I'll give it back to community either by having it added to UMA package or putting the model on UAC for free.

Astaelan1, CplMulder, Teila and 3 others like this.
  22. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

Since UMA is open source and MakeHuman exports CC0, you could just use a MakeHuman FBX export as a UMA base and it would look quite a bit better than the typical UMA characters. I have absolutely no idea how bone morphs through UMA works for that though- I was seriously considering trying it out, but I'd rather M3D just fix their system. I'm a programmer, not an artist, and the less work I have to do for this the better.

The MakeHuman models look pretty good for the default expression and in a T-Pose I think, they just seem to have terrible textures (which you can redo in Mudbox or something). It's an idea that's definitely worth exploring if the EULA doesn't get fixed here.

umutozkan likes this.
  23. crudeMe

crudeMe

You don't get it. The EULA is not the real problem. It's just a materialized representation of a paradigm of people behind it. It was here from the start and there are no signs it would be changed.

What was the priority queue of things they've implemented? As I recall, they've set up their content shop first.

I guess, they might go changing EULA in parts, but the overall concept won't go.

Can't actually belive there is no decent character system.

24. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

They're rewriting it right now. I posted a "public service announcement" at the top of this page that explains the current situation. We've told them exactly what's expected of a character system through Unity, what parts of the EULA we're unhappy with, and what they need to fix in order for the system to actually be usable. They now have an opportunity to change things, before we give up on their product completely.

I completely understand your complaint, but the mentality these guys have shown is actually pretty common in the world outside of Unity/Unreal development, and their business model would make sense in a lot of places. Just not here. They aren't evil IMO.

... or maybe they are. We'll see based on their EULA changes whether they have the intention of playing ball or just screwing around with us some more. I'm going to give them the chance to change course here though, since they've come out and said that's what they're doing.

chiapet1021, crudeMe and Jyrry like this.
  25. reset

reset

I would love to know how your tests go Goldfish?

So am I right in assuming that if I create clothes for my MCS I cant sell them in the space I am creating?

26. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

You absolutely can, you can even just sell them on the UAS, as long as you don't use the Tools on them beforehand. You can just sell them as "MCS Compatible" with the only step left being for people to use the Tools themselves to adapt it to the MCS system- takes like 5 minutes, but requires people to own the Tools themselves.

But yeah, if you use the Tools, you agree to their EULA, which means you can't sell them except on M3D-approved vendors (partners). Absolute garbage, but I'm sincerely hoping that they're getting rid of that right now in their EULA-rewrite.

Whippets and go1dfish like this.
  27. Christopher-Kaminski

Christopher-Kaminski

Has anyone sucessfully created anything with Artist Tools? I'm getting bizzare results with morphs, tools themselves aren't perfect since I'm getting two different buggy version with the same mesh and settings. (Screens attached)
    I'd like to experiment with it a little bit, but lack of proper tutorial and documentation doesn't help :confused:

Morph1.jpg Morph2.jpg

28. CplMulder

CplMulder

Thanks ELcourse! i will have a look into this.... from what I see it looks good so far

29. CplMulder

CplMulder

Yep you are right.. the morphing is the main selling point... my use case is currently a bit different.. in game customisation is not that big a deal for me (would be nice tho) I just need the ability to create and fine tune a number of unique characters (actors) for my game at the moment.

30. ryschawy

ryschawy

I was thinking excatly the same. Baking MCS characters would be a performance wise nice feature. In theory it should be possible to extract all the information we need. This would be a really nice feature for the mesh baking assets on the store ;-) Any volunteers? The only real challenge I see will be to bake the avatar. If I remember right, Morph3D does not modify the avatar, but repositions the bone transforms on update to reflect the morphed bone deformations. A runtime bone position grabber on a T-Pose might do the trick? Not sure if Morph3d is interested in supporting this baking idea. If they are, they could simply provide a public method that triggers the internal positioning of the morphed bone transforms, so we could create the morphed avatar (or export to a DAE file and let unity do the work). I actually haven't looked at the 1.6 API. They might even support it?

go1dfish likes this.
  31. Whippets

Whippets

If there's a substantial gain to be made, once a character has been instantiated, morphed, and clothed, a Bake() method would be great. On the (comparatively) rare occasions where a clothing changes, it's simple to create a new model, and Bake() that.

Certainly from a multiplayer RPG point of view, characters don't change very often once instantiated.

CplMulder, go1dfish, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  32. Zeratul3D

Zeratul3D

Sorry guys, I've tried to read all the thread but it looks like this tool is not ready yet.

It's not vital for me in this very moment to have morphing, but I need several humanoid male/female characters with clothing, mechanim compatible (possibly with the mocap animations on UAS) and good way to make facial animations for VR apps.

What do you suggest as best tool for my needs?

Thank you for your kind help!

Andrea

33. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

I made a [public service announcement] at the top of this page that should explain everything that's going on, so that people don't have to read the whole thread or anything. I'll be sure to reference it on every page until the system gets fixed.

As always, if you need a high level of detail for specific characters, you really need an artist. MCS, for us, was just going to be a way to lessen the amount of work our artists have to spend on the project, and not eliminate them from the process or anything. We have no interest in the runtime morphing either.

If you're fine with generic characters, you can also buy them off of the UAS directly, or something like TurboSquid or Arteria3D. Do not use DAZ models, since they don't have the poly counts or licenses to be used as game characters.

You can also use Adobe FUSE, which is currently free on the Adobe Creative Cloud, and output the results to an FBX and import that into Unity. You can find FUSE characters/clothing around if you look for them, if you want to increase the customization options for that.

34. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I just tested the 1.61 release of the male character. Seems like the errors I got before are fixed. You can create a character, add clothes. save a prefab and add that to the scene again. Problem with duplicating a character in the editor and removing one of them is also fixed.

Build to 64bit on windows also worked direct on a new project

go1dfish likes this.
  35. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

Hey that's good news, thanks for the report. Let's see if anything else rolls in. I'd love to shine some positive light on MCS, give it a moment in the spotlight without throwing tomatoes.

36. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

You are right in that it's not ready at this very moment. Though as an asset, it's heading in the right direction, EULA issues aside. We're seeing good strides being taken and hopefully a bit steadier progress and communication, and not another year before production-capable issues are resolved. This change to Genesis 3 model for the base was not taken lightly I'm sure, and the result of it while positive, will also be one they cannot afford to keep doing. They'll need to buckle down and produce a production capable asset before another such shift ever occurs... or they'll sink their own ship before it ever leaves the dock.

Some suggestions were already made, but based on what your current requirements sound like, you might be good with the MakeHuman stuff, where you can use the output just not the runtime engine for dynamic character creation IN your game. Take a peek at those, and UMA2, and read back a bit about the option of hybrid between the two for an improved quality of characters from MakeHuman while making it UMA2 compliant to take advantage of the clothing and other aspects for the final baking.

One thing that's often mentioned is that we "don't want MCS for runtime morphing", should be clear that for most people this means the actual changing at runtime, like being able to make a character fatter if they eat and don't excersize over time. Or even more drastic shifts like in the promotional video. These aren't the most in demand aspects of runtime morphing, for most people it is actually the stipulation that runtime morphing would also apply to any form of character creation where you're allowing players, at runtime, to make their own character and move sliders around to change their appearance. I think this is the bigger aspect of where M3D's runtime morphing plays into most use-cases. And perhaps outright random generation of NPC's with variance at spawn-time (for those games that don't rely on static spawning of specific NPC's)... or even just procedural generation of cities and having variance within constraints of the inhabitants.
    These are all considerations for runtime morphing, even if it's not specifically animating the morphs before your eyes.

That said, I think UMA2 (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this), can have some amount of character creation customization without having to rebake everything... like skin tones I think, and maybe some shader based blemishes? I can't remember now.

CplMulder likes this.
  37. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

I have lost trust in Morph 3D. Many of the reasons have already been noted so there is no need for me to rehash them. I will say they have lost me as a customer. Good luck with treating your customer base like crap and trying to soak us for our cash by luring us into your convoluted EULA and pricing scheme. :rolleyes:

38. Jyrry

Jyrry

Great news

go1dfish likes this.
  39. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

The male and female base models just updated to 1.6.1 on the Asset Store. Time to test it out, everyone.

@Morph_JN I know you guys are used to a different paradigm, but you really need to adapt to the way that Unity, and the Unity community, handles things. One of these is putting the highlights for your patch notes in the actual UAS version notes when you update a package on the store. It's not a huge deal this time ironically, because your product was unusable before and HAS to be updated, but forcing customers to dig around the internet to figure out why they should be updating, especially when there's a function right there in the store that exists solely to answer that question, is rather silly.

If you say "it's so that we don't spoil anything until an official announcement is made later", I'm going to scream.

CplMulder, go1dfish and Jyrry like this.
  40. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Yeah still waiting for complete changelog of 1.6...

go1dfish likes this.
  41. go1dfish

go1dfish

One of the main reasons I want to use M3D characters is for the morphs, so Ideally this would tie in with the LOD system somehow. Bake the more largely affective morphs on body size etc... further away while allowing them to change dynamically up close so I can dial in character emotions etc...

It seems like the component responsible for runtime CPU usage is primarily concerned with bone updates, so it may be that the facial morphs don't need it even, still need to dig deeper there.

42. ryschawy

ryschawy

MCS facial Blendshapes don't need bone transformations. Most of us delete the jaw bone anyway, since animations normally don't handle this. This is to fix the open mouth problem people are facing with MCS.
    Fuse too comes with facial blendshape. They can be altered directly at runtime without any issue.

43. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

How do i save as prefab? when i drag from hierarchy to project i it turns pink

44. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

did you try to drag it back to a scene again? see if it looks normal then?

45. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

Thanks just figured it out, I had to reapply the materials, but now I see one last problem. I can see the body bleeding through the cloths. Is there a way to disable the body under the cloths or maybe a better solution

46. EDarkness

EDarkness

I've installed and deleted this a few times and it never imports right. It keeps saying that the scripts aren't compiling so there's nothing there. Sometimes the models have textures...sometimes they don't. The clothes included with the model aren't being setup, either. The male model will look basically fine (with no scripts on it), while the female will have some scripts, but no texture. Not sure what's going on, but it's all messed up. Why this thing still has this S***ty DLL that must run when something is imported is beyond me. Why can't it just import like every other asset out there? There's no reason to have to import this thing 4 or 5 times in order for it to import correctly.

Ugh.

Anyway, on a Mac, so I wonder if that's what's causing the problem.

go1dfish likes this.
  47. imump

imump

Just updated...all good

EDarkness likes this.
  48. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

I'm having a hard time even wrapping my head around that, from a purely theoretical standpoint. Programs are just code run in sequence, so I can't really see how an import will fail differently each time given the same inputs and environment each time. Well, except maybe that perhaps it's using multiple threads, or trying to access files that are already open, and so maybe the speed with which things are processed is affecting the finished product. For instance, part 1 fails if X loads faster than .5 seconds, or times out otherwise- that kind of logic applied to many different import tasks.

I just can't...

... whatever.

49. GameMadeByGamers

GameMadeByGamers

On my side i dont get any issue , reimporting after the update , press the button update just to be sure , figure was good , saving prefab work(even if the character is pink in the preview windows once in scene it okay).

50. EDarkness

EDarkness

I have no idea, but at this point in time, I can't get it to work. I'm on install-delete-reinstall number 6 and still can't get it to install properly. Not sure what to do about it now. To be honest, I'm not even sure what it's supposed to look like. At this moment, the female model doesn't even have any scripts on it. The LODs are in there properly, but no scripts and no materials anywhere. Just a gray model.

The male model has a texture with broken scripts on it, but no LOD at all. I'm gonna try to install for a 7th time and this time install the male model first, then the female model to see if something happens. Why they just can't let the models install with the scripts on them like damn every other model on the Asset Store, I'll never know. Whatever solution they're trying to do just isn't working...same with skin bleeding through the clothes. They really need to go back to the drawing board because whatever fancy way they're trying, just isn't working.