Search Unity

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Sluta

Sluta

I read this forum and... i think wasted money buying MCS Male :(
    For example:

or errors when trying upload to Mixamo, etc...

Attached Files:

2. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

What are you trying to upload an MCS character to Mixamo for?

3. umutozkan

umutozkan

MCS package's male/female fbx file with all the morphs is too much for mixamo. It fails to process it. You can use the artist tool kit's model (you can find it on morph 3d beta page. Those models are for content creation base and doesn't include morphs), I uploaded and mapped both male and female models from artist toolset to mixamo successfully.

I hold my verdict on whether I wasted my money or not until MCS 2.0's release. I am cautiously hopeful that they will fix current version's issues with 2.0.

John-G, celebrus and hopeful like this.
  4. Sluta

Sluta

I understeand

I'm not an artist, I want to use in my project animations from Mixamo. So... purchase of MCS, it was a mistake

5. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

You should be able to export your Mixamo animations for Mecanim with any character and just make sure you export them as Unity FBX files. You don't need to have your MCS character imported to Mixamo to use those animations on your MCS character in Unity.

6. Ruby-Roid

Ruby-Roid

Hey. who have MCS Tools?

7. EDarkness

EDarkness

I don't think they're out yet. They keep saying they'll be out soon, but that hasn't happened.

Ruby-Roid and umutozkan like this.
  8. inte17

inte17

Hi. This is the answer what i got from the support. I hope it helps for some people.

"morph support (Morph3d)

Aug 25, 13:04 MST

Hi,

The next release will be in September some time. I do not have an actual date though, unfortunately.

As for the blendshapes not showing up, try creating a new project, then import the MSC Male (Assets -> Import Package -> Custom Package) then navigate to the MCS male and double click the Shaders first then the MCS Male. Drag the MCS Male to the work space and look in the Inspector tab for "All Blendshapes". Is it there?

The devs are working hard to make sure all the characters, clothing etc. is backwards compatible. However, I do not know the status of this at this time.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Crissie "

9. scottlaforge

scottlaforge

I've seen a couple people report this bug, but I haven't seen a clear resolution to the problem. Hoping someone can help. I am also experiencing the JCTTransition.HotfixUpdate() null pointer exception.

When I instantiate the character for a UNET multiplayer scenario the exception occurs. When I Instantiate the character in a non-UNET way, the character has no exceptions. It definitely seems to be a timing issue, but I cannot seem to figure out how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. TSI25

TSI25

I'm using MCS in Unity 5.3.6p1 and I have an issue where if my avatar is animated then its mouth is just open all the time? I've set it up on an avatar where all of the blend shapes are reset, value of zero, but as soon as it starts animating the mouth is just hanging open. removing the Animator component seems to fix the issue and the mouth will stay shut, but thats not really an acceptable solution. I've also tried masking the head on all the avatar's animation but the mouth still hangs open.

Has anyone else seen this?

UPDATE : it seems specifically like the jaw bone in the skeletal structure gets rotated 10 degrees in the x axis on play? value can't seem to be altered at runtime. animation is still set to be masking the head. That said if i expand the Transform option under the mask then it shows the jawbone is checked. The interface seems to be greyed out though so I'm not sure if theres a way for me to disable it there.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  11. hopeful

hopeful

It's a default setting in Unity for the jaw. Basically, 0=open and 1=closed. You just need to figure out how you want to compensate for it, depending on your game. Look in the first few pages of this thread and you'll see people talking about the issue and how to address it.

12. umutozkan

umutozkan

Basically your animation doesn't have jaw bone in it's skeleton, when it's mapped as "humanoid" jaw bone doesn't have a corresponding bone to map. So when unity creates the unity bone movements for your animation jaw doesn't get one. On the other hand your character's rig probably has a jaw bone. It doesn't get any movement from animation and falls back to unity defaults which is (as hopeful said) open (I really think it should be closed but it just is). There are two things you can do:

1. You can add a jaw bone to animation and set it to closed at two keyframes (one at the begining and one at the end).

2. You can change the animation so that it actually has a jaw bone. If this is a 3rd party animation there is not much you can do but for example it is a mixamo animation what you can do is upload a character model that has a jaw bone and download the animation with this model included. I did this with my mixamo animations using the female and male model from Artist Toolkit (If you try to upload MCS fbx which also contains morph data the model will be too big for mixamo to handle and mapping fails.).

I hope this clears things a bit.

celebrus likes this.
  13. Vagrant-VX

Vagrant-VX

is there a way to add Genesis 3 Male / Genesis 3 Female?

14. celebrus

celebrus

These are good tips. An alternative, if you are not animating the jaw is to remove the lower jaw bone from the avatar.(Actually I think I set the lower jaw bone same as upper jaw). This is what I did. The emotion morphs like smiling and the phonemes for lip syncing will still work.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  15. celebrus

celebrus

Not sure what you are trying to do, the current system is built on Genesis 2, however the 2.0 beta is using Genesis 3. This shouldn't matter for most people though, as it is not directly compatible with Daz.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  16. EDarkness

EDarkness

Just wanted to jump in and provide a little information I was given the other day by the Morph3D folks. I think they should do this themselves, but what can you do, eh?

Anyway, I was told that the next release will be 1.5 not 2.0. From what I was told they wanted to get the clothing system in and the mobile setup in before they moved on to 2.0. I assume that people will be able to make clothes with the next update and it's supposedly due out in a couple of weeks. It's in the bug testing stage now. It'll be interesting to see how well it works once it comes out, but I hope it works out a lot of the bugs and makes thew whole process of adding clothes to a model much simpler.

I'll pass on any other news I get since I'm still working with the Morph3D guys to fix a problem I'm having. I keep telling them to drop by here and provide us with a new update, but they simply refuse to...for whatever reason.

celebrus and chiapet1021 like this.
  17. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah, I've asked them to drop by and give an update as well. They said they would try to get someone to do that, but weeks have passed.

celebrus likes this.
  18. inte17

inte17

Has anyone tried Props Animation pack from asset store to animate the characters?

19. celebrus

celebrus

This was from a Morph3D email sent out on Friday. It is a comment from a developer with a note from Morph3D in parenthesis.

Acissathar likes this.
  20. daschatten

daschatten

Yes, works!

21. inte17

inte17

22. FutureAI

FutureAI

Does anyone know how many tris the new mobile optimised versions will have? I'm looking forward to this becoming a mobile viable tool.

23. FutureAI

FutureAI

Looks like I've answered my own question. I downloaded the beta version from their site, and its lowest LOD (naked) uses 12.3K tris. At a distance, the model looks perfectly fine, up close the head is a little egg-like, but nothing that hair won't fix.

Of course, this beta is still using the Genesis 2 model, so I'm expecting the Genesis 3 model will reduce the tri count further, while probably improving the overall shape.

24. celebrus

celebrus

The current version has 6 LODS and the lowest is 2000 tris.

LOD 0 (40,000 tris)

LOD 1 (20,000 tris)

LOD 2 (10,000 tris)

LOD 3 (6,000 tris)

LOD 4 (3,000 tris)

LOD 5 (2,000 tris)

25. Shawn67

Shawn67

Uhm.. Am I missing something? It is already the second half of this year... :p

26. ShizofMalkavian

ShizofMalkavian

Is this company still alive? All they've done is sell people expensive clothes that are poorly morphing for a barely game ready base mesh. I was hopeful about the beta version but it has been months since the last update. I feel cheated for all the money I spent.

27. EDarkness

EDarkness

They're still alive, but they refuse to come here and keep us informed. If you want to get new information, or get them to acknowledge statements like you posted, then you have to send them a message on their support site. It's the only way you'll be able to communicate with them.

umutozkan likes this.
  28. Whippets

Whippets

Things certainly have gone very quiet. Would be nice to hear some news about the beta Darwin system, and creatives' tools.

Shawn67 likes this.
  29. hopeful

hopeful

I can only agree, but I don't think MCS visits this forum any more, and are unlikely to see your post and respond. I point blank asked them if they were going out of business and they said they were "super busy" and didn't have time to visit the Unity forum. I don't know if I buy that, as IIRC only four models were released over the whole summer and the customization beta looks like it has been stalled out since May, but your chances are exponentially higher of getting a response if you use the support ticket function on the MCS website. In my experience, they respond to that every time.

I suspect the lack of coverage of this thread is a structural issue with MCS, as they've hired someone to handle support tickets, but have not assigned anyone to the forums. And who knows ... maybe the original people who started the project are no longer with them.

Shawn67 likes this.
  30. jdraper3

jdraper3

They don't even link to this forum thread from any of their store assets, so I'm guessing this isn't the channel that they want to use for support. It's too bad - their product still has massive potential, but I think that a lot of users have abandoned ship. Hopefully they can pull it together.

Shawn67 likes this.
  31. umutozkan

umutozkan

I don't think they are going out of business. I think what they are trying to achieve is thightly connected with their "not yet released" MCS tools.

All MCS models on their store is from DAZ3D content. Probably altered by hand to work with MCS morphs. With the promised tool they will be able to convert any content rigged to MCS base (Genesis 3) model as MCS content package with all the morphs working. This makes thousands of existing content on DAZ3D store candidates for MCS.

They keep saying they have many talented artists from all around the world (I think it's on their website even) I really think they refer to content creators on DAZ3D. Actually this makes perfect sense.

32. Whippets

Whippets

Got a reply: "We're hoping Darwin will be out in November if all goes well. No guarantees right now though." So it seems like it's on the way hopefully before the end of the year.

Shawn67 and hopeful like this.
  33. retired

retired

I do not recommend anyone buying this until MCS releases their tools. One year to date and still no release date in sight. It's been far too long of a wait for us to be able to make our own content. The tools exist otherwise they would not be able to release new clothing packs. They just do not want to give them to us, instead they are trying to make some upload portal to monetize off the community. DK UMA with high poly models is a much better choice as it is supported.

34. EDarkness

EDarkness

Damn, this thing just keeps getting pushed back. They told me end of September, now we're looking at November...then end of the year. What the hell are they doing?

35. neoshaman

neoshaman

Development hazard

Shawn67 likes this.
  36. EDarkness

EDarkness

I'm thinking it's probably best to abandon this for the time being since they'll be nowhere close to getting this sorted out before next year. I guess it's back to the drawing board to find another solution for characters for my game.

37. hopeful

hopeful

They keep thinking they are close to finishing, but then for some reason they aren't. IIRC, in midsummer they announced they'd be releasing it "next week," but it didn't happen. So I don't know what the hold up is, but there's literally no telling how long it will be ... a short or long time.

It's also strange that they haven't updated their beta materials. If that was getting updated, I'm sure we'd be in a better position to judge where development is at.

Shawn67, EDarkness and umutozkan like this.
  38. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

The worst part is that this is really the most anticipated asset for me on the UAS- it has a ton of potential, but it seems like perhaps the devs have fallen into the "early access" hole where they're getting enough money from a half-finished product that there's little motivation to keep going. This is likely made worse by the fact that the Tools are going to make a great majority of their own product releases obsolete if they aren't improved to work better with their own morph system- why use the badly-adjusting cookie-cutter clothing when you can create and adapt your own?

Of course, that's an exaggeration (the clothing they've made will still sell- I'll buy them myself, provided that I can actually edit them to add some unique touches and flourishes), but you get the idea. I really hope I'm wrong and they end up blowing me away with how awesome their next update is, but at this point the lack of communication and long development times are pushing me to look for other long-term options and avoid this entirely.

Every time they make a new update on their Facebook page or release a new clothing set, and the Tools still haven't been released, I lose a bit more hope that this product will ever actually be usable. Of course, I've spent absolutely nothing on this yet (black-box assets are worthless), so the only pain I suffer is to my heart, but that's bad enough.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  39. Cyance

Cyance

It is almost a year later and i thought the poke-through issue is gone. So installing it on a different computer and the latest Unity version. But still i have the poke through in runtime and in a build mode. Do i miss something?
    If the character isnt movin, everything looks ok but as soon if it got animations you can see the skin.

40. hopeful

hopeful

If you're getting close to release and you need to solve this problem right away, you might check out Mount Points. Their system works with MCS, and they also provide a masking solution to prevent poke through.

Shawn67, EDarkness and Cyance like this.
  41. umutozkan

umutozkan

By working with MCS you must mean the ability to put a skinned mesh on MCS model and aimations and all works. You won't be using any morph at runtime as morphs cannot affect the skinned meshes used this way. Just wanted to make it clear before anyone gets too excited :)

Shawn67 and hopeful like this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

Sorry, yes ... I'm only meaning there is a masking system that can work with MCS. Nothing more. :)

I imagine you could use the Mount Points anti-poke-through system in conjunction with the MCS framework and thus fix your poke-through problems.

umutozkan likes this.
  43. magique

magique

I wish I had seen this thread before I purchased the female archer and a hair pack. The poke through issue is a huge problem and although I've put in a support ticket, they have yet to respond several days later. I also see a huge performance drop when using MCS Female Lite character in my game. I'm losing something like 10-12 fps, which is abysmal.

44. hopeful

hopeful

The new free MCS base models are supposed to be tremendously more performant. When they are released. ;)

45. magique

magique

That would be nice, but I highly doubt they'll be able to make up 10-12 fps. I sure hope I'm wrong though.

46. nickyoso1

nickyoso1

According to the MCS team it is up to 500 times faster. With this new version they have been focusing on mobile and VR(mainly VR, every post on their twitter is about VR apparently). So performance wise they have been working on it, it would just be nice if they would publicly communicate about what their plans are so we know what to expect.

47. magique

magique

That's great. Are they fixing the skin poking through clothing issue as well?

48. nickyoso1

nickyoso1

Hard to tell at this point, they haven't really put out any information. The MCS character are based of DAZ3D Genesis 2 characters and apparently the new version they are working on is based of the Genesis 3 characters. So it would almost look like they are completely replacing the current system for something that hopefully works better.
    If you go to their website you can try out the beta(which hasn't been updated since may), I haven't played around with that but possibly that the skin poking issue is already resolved in there.
    The new system/update is rumored to come out in November, so hopefully we'll hear more soon.

49. magique

magique

I didn't know about the beta so thanks for that. I'll definitely give that a try. It might be working well enough for me to actually use the archer clothing and hair pack I bought.

50. umutozkan

umutozkan

Well, beta "Artist Toolkit" contains male and female base model. These are genesis 3 models to create content on. Models in artist toolkit are not usable in Unity.

Beta page also has an Engine Plugin section. This download has a female lite version of MCS which is supposed to be new engine. This package's models are Genesis 2 models. That makes me think it is not the latest version. Also any content you create using "Artist Toolkit" will not be compatible with this Engine plugin. (Though MCS people said creations made for artist toolkit will be compatiple with MCS 2.0. That's the other reason I think engine plugin is not the engine for 2.0)

Here are the facts:

1. Engine plugin is not very useful as it only contains female model and doesn't seem to solve current MCS issues, if not adding new ones. (You will probably have difficulties trying bought content on this engine)

2. Artist Toolkit is for having a base model for creation process, and currently there is no way you can get your creations completely compatible with MCS (The tool for this, AKA "MCS Tools" is still under developement and has not been released).So even if you can create (partially) for MCS 2.0 you have no means to try it.

What I do is (im)patiently wait for them to update beta page and/or release the MCS 2.0.

unityunity