Search Unity

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

But wait... can't I just use FBX (opened in MODO) to model my content, transfer weight maps and import to Unity? It's prohibited or there are some gotchas and this not gonna work?

2. Plutoman

Plutoman

I think the catch is there's some gotchas, not that it is prohibited. The content tools they are providing (from my current knowledge) are to make the process easy (or rather, easier) to make content that fits the characters, since they have stated before that the process involves dozens (80+, I think was quoted, but not sure) of steps to make it fully compatible.

If you got it working, I don't think there's any problem at all; just that it will be easier with these tools! And I do not believe they will give support for that approach, either.

3. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

I'm trying now with "Lite" FBX woman version, and I can't make it work, unfortunately, so without tools it's probably really hard to make content. I have now dilemma. Wait for tools and use MORPH3D, stick with UMA or make own solution. Can anyone from MORPH3D team tell me if tools are coming in Q1/Q2? And how these tools will work? I hope that this not gonna be some kind of "customize our assets" type of tools? :p We will have option to model our content in 3D software (Zbrush / MODO FTW)?

4. Plutoman

Plutoman

I highly doubt it would be customize our assets type of tools - simply because that would make no business sense. I would immediately apply for a refund if that turned out to be the case, and I suspect a lot of people would too!

They sell those outfits for 1) people like me, who want them for prototyping, 2) people who are on low budgets, and want good looking outfits, even if other companies use them, 3) people who use them for mobile games, where tweaking colors and it won't even be noticed, and 4) those who are just trying to have fun with unity.

The tools are supposed to be there to let people create content and sell it / distribute it, Daz3d style, so that anyone can create their own outfits and distribute them the same as Morph3d to indie studios and individuals (where Morph3d takes a cut).

I do not know how it will work beyond that (this is what I have gleaned from following what they are posting), whether it would take a license you need to buy (or if it's like the unity license; make enough and you buy a license) - or whether your own stuff you make is good to go, whether or not you distribute - etc etc. Any clarification on how it will work would be useful, though!

5. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

About "mobile"... this is another scary thing... number of verts. It's huge! Even on LOD2 I don't think it's mobile ready. But models are really beautiful (and I'm not targeting mobiles for now :D).

I really hope that there will not force people to distribute self-made content. It wouldn't work for me. I want unique content, without distributing it.

So, MORPH3D team, please, answer three questions.
    1) Expected release date for content creator tools (Q1 2016, Q2 2016 etc. will be enough, I don't need exact date)
    2) How it will work? (ie. will we be forced to distribute our content?)
    3) How much it will cost?

Answers for these questions will help me to make a decision about what solution I will use for my game.

6. Plutoman

Plutoman

I'm fairly sure you won't be forced too, but what I am unsure on is whether you will need a license. :) Just to help answer as much as I can.

7. cspencer3d

cspencer3d

@szymonkosok We are still working on tools but there were a number of issues with MCS that took priority over the toolset. I cannot give you any firm release quarter until MCS has been firmed up a bit (it would really suck for users to create content that crashes MCS).

We are still aiming for a toolset that will allow you to create your own content along with doing many more things. I am excited to say the least, but I cant give all the details ;)

You can use the FBX and create content for the FBX dimensions of figures. The problem arises when you try to use the Morphing system and that is why we want to create the toolset for users.

8. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi I am playing around with Unity's cloth component and MCS. I've put an MCS male figure and WoodElfScout contentpack on it. I added cloth component to EWOverTunic.Shape_LOD0. I edited constraints (upper half max distance 0 and lower half surface penetration 0) and selected gravity off.

When I started the game, over tunic flies away. When I checked the constraints I realized the max distance and surface penetration settings are gone. I stopped the game, copied cloth component and restarted the game. Cloth flew away again, I pasted the component values over cloth component while the game is still running. Then it worked.

My question is, is this a Unity issue or MCS issue? Does MCS somehow clean the constraint data when game starts (I doubt it)?

Here is a video demonstrating the issue.

9. cruising

cruising

Hello!

Can someone please be kindly to tell me how i can use my sliders on screen to change the value on the sliders in the inspector? What i need is to get the correct code on Update.

What i have now is this(didnt post all slider objects)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using MORPH3D;
    2. using MORPH3D.FOUNDATIONS;
    4. public class SlidersFemale : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public GameObject Female;
    7.     public M3DCharacterManager m_CharacterManagerFemale;
    8.     public CoreBlendshape m_CoreBlendshape;
    10.     void Start () {
    12.         Female = GameObject.FindWithTag("Female");
    13.         m_CharacterManagerFemale = Female.GetComponent<M3DCharacterManager> ();
    15.     }
    18.     void Update () {
    20.         m_CharacterManagerFemale.SetBlendshapeValue ("FBMThin");
    22.     }
    23. }

10. umutozkan

umutozkan

11. Rusted_Games

Rusted_Games

Thanks for sharing your approach assuming the character has only a single cloth path, what´s still missing in the MCS API is a simple, performance friendly way to switch clothes. Right now the only way I found was using something like the following assuming the character has both the CiaoBella and the Paladin of Light Content Pack attached but one of them disabled by default.
    List of Paladin items:
    MercMaidChestplate
    MercmaidLeftGreave
    MercmaidLeftLegplate
    MercmaidLeftPauldron
    MercmaidLeftRerebrace
    MercmaidLeftVambrace
    MercmaidRightLegplate
    MercmaidRightGreave
    MercmaidRightPauldron
    MercMaidRightRerebrace
    MercMaidRightVambrace
    Ultra Bodysuit Simple MATs

manager.SetClothingVisibility("MercMaidChestplate", toggleVisibility); // do the same for each item

This will hangs your game for a few seconds which is not acceptable for any game.

I already reported this behavior and I was told the dev team is working to improve the initialization of the content pack at runtime. I still will appreciate if someone else has a better way to achieve this clothing switching issue.

12. umutozkan

umutozkan

Having all the possible outfits on character invisible is not allways possible especially if you have many clothing options.

Content packs released by Morph 3D has few clothing pieces in each pack. But when we are able to make our content packs we would be able to have single clothing piece in a content pack Then manager.AddContentPack(contentPack); can be used to get clothes on and manager.UnloadContentPackFromFigure(contentPack); and manager.RemoveContentPackFromModel(contentPack.RootGameObject, true); to get the clothes off.

This way names of clothings are not needed.

13. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

14. EDarkness

EDarkness

Anyone have or know of a good blinking asset for MCS characters? I'd like to have my characters blink just to add a little life to them.

15. hopeful

hopeful

16. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

SALSA with RandomEyes includes eye-movement and blink, as well as the lip-sync package that works with MCS characters. And, it's currently on sale as part of the Unity Madness Sale.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16944

UrgeT, EDarkness and Tinjaw like this.
  17. cruising

cruising

Forgot to say thanks for the link to your tutorial, that helped a lot!

18. EDarkness

EDarkness

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks awesome and I think I'll give it a shot.

Crazy-Minnow-Studio likes this.
  19. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity, which you're using in Skullforge, also has SALSA Support. This makes it really easy to add eye control and lipsync in conversations.

20. EDarkness

EDarkness

I didn't know that. You'll have to give me some tips on how to get the most out of that. I don't have closeups, but some gestures and such during conversations would be a nice little addition.

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

It's really easy. SALSA does all the work. :) Assuming your Morph character is already set up for SALSA, to play an audio clip through SALSA's lipsync approximator, set the dialogue entry's Sequence field to:

SALSA(audioClipName)

And to look at a target and/or play a facial shape, use this sequencer command:

Eyes(target, , facialShape)

The commands have a few more options if you want extra control, but that's the basic use, and it works great with Morph characters.

22. soonzzz

soonzzz

My question is Can the animated FBX from Point 2 i.e Body Bones + Facial Morph Targets be employed for NPC to tell stories in between game play ?

The reason I ask is that I had read somewhere that Morph Targets can impact performance. Is the performance issue applicable only for the Morph Targets animated within Unity3D or the performance issue is also applicable for animated FBX that were animated using some other software.

Please Advise.

Thanks and Regards

23. Xialya

Xialya

I noticed the current sale on the website, stating 30, 40, or 50% off based on the number of products.
    I wanted to purchase a couple of characters, but the total price doesn't match the discount.

24. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I saw the same. It seems that the 30% discount is not starting with one character but with two. So 30% discount for two, 40% for three and 50 for four thats what it looked to me. Because adding just one Character does not discount anything.

25. Xialya

Xialya

Even when putting 4x $15 characters into the cart, I get $42.86 instead of $60.
    Not even 50% discount.

I guess they got it wrong.

26. John-G

John-G

Issue is fixed now. Just got 3 items at 50% discount.

27. John-G

John-G

Morph now offering an extra 15% on top of the discounts across the board on sales.
    So get up to 65% off on 3 or more items.
    Tempted to pick up a few more items.

From the site.

28. nrm21122

nrm21122

While we can not make customer clothing does anyone know if we can change the materials of the included items?
    I was thinking I could open them up in substance painter and alter the clothing material color and height map, is this even possible?

29. nrm21122

nrm21122

I will no doubt be picking that up, very nice tool

If I may ask, not sure if it is against the forum rules, do you make a version for UE4?

Crazy-Minnow-Studio likes this.
  30. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Wow this is what I call a good sale! Is Morph3d closing the doors or what is happening? ;)
    No perhaps a big thing is coming up who knows, but the sale is great.

One thing that got my attention: I always complained about the lack of hairs and clothes options together with the expensive price for different costume packs that only bring one hair version, and I know Morph3d is working on a way to handle this better.
    But what I am noticing right now for the first time (perhaps I was blind) is: There are not any beards, mustache options for male characters? This is something that really is missing if you ask me and should be consired to be added in next versions of costumes / hair packs for male chars. Or perhaps creating a big bear mustache asset package sold as addon...

Cheers
    Ronny

31. cspencer3d

cspencer3d

Hey Everyone we had some trouble yesterday with our ecommerce platform handling the traffic from the sale we are currently offering. We have worked out all the bugs and it should be smooth sailing from here on out. Get in on the action!

@RonnyDance You can submit a feature request from our Morph 3D website help page, beards sound like a great idea!

@nrm21122 Hey I talked to the dev and you can adjust the shader materials if you like but it could break things so just be careful and make backups.

32. montyfi

montyfi

@cspencer3d Just want to thank you for this sale! Grabbed almost everything! Hope you will continue to add more closes and hairs/facial hairs.

hopeful and RonnyDance like this.
  33. nrm21122

nrm21122

@nrm21122 Hey I talked to the dev and you can adjust the shader materials if you like but it could break things so just be careful and make backups.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. We have decided to go with a different solution; just so many issues with MCS which make it unusable.

34. m-kan

m-kan

Thank you for testing it.

I keep running into this voice in the back of my head that says that I should try MCS. But the inability to work on the geometry with another program is a deal-breaker for me. MCS looks great, but falls a little short in the particular pipeline I use. Though that super sale on their site was mighty enticing.

35. PeterB

PeterB

What's the status of the pink hair issue? I've read through all fifteen pages of forum entries, reimported everything as per the instructions, and I still get pink hair when using OpenGLCore. OpenGL2 and Metal work, but not OpenGLCore.

Mac, 5.3.3p2.

36. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Did you change something with hands? With the newest release the hand rotations are somewhat off (90 degrees?)

Attached Files:

37. Crazy-Minnow-Studio

Crazy-Minnow-Studio

We are looking into porting to other engines, including UE4, but no other platforms are supported yet.

Thanks,
    Michael

38. Xialya

Xialya

I'm still having the pink hair issue.
    I thought the last update would fix this. :/

39. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

The pink hair on windows gets repaired when you reassign the shader.

Freddy888 likes this.
  40. PeterB

PeterB

Changing the value of blendshape sliders at runtime in the Editor causes twitching on the XZ plane: about 0.01 units fairly randomly in either direction. It's actually not the MCS character root transform that changes, but the hip transform in the Genesis2Male character.

The same thing happens when animating blendshape values using any tweening library, such as LeanTween.

I should add that what's being animated are facial expressions only, such as eyebrow positions, etc.

The error only appears after an Animation Controller has been added. (IK Pass is on.)

Mac, latest version of all MCS packages, latest Unity patch version (5.3.3p2). Everything has been re-imported and set up according to the instructions.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  41. celebrus

celebrus

I see the Asset Store version is updated, when will Morph3D store get updated? I just downloaded from your store and the file hash is same as the version I downloaded a month ago.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  42. EDarkness

EDarkness

I downloaded the MCS Female from their store last year during their Black Friday sale. I sent in a ticket asking about the updated version and they told me that the version I downloaded is the most recent version. However, I keep hearing that the version on the Unity Asset Store is the most recent version. Something can't be right. Can someone confirm that there is a difference between the female version on their store and the one on the Unity Asset Store? I kinda regret buying from their store right now....

43. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I heard the same. It seems that the Unity Store Version is always up2date and the Morph3d Store is not. Thats sad because lot of people will have the MCS Store version now because of the sale.
    @Greg Bassett had the same problem and he was working on a MCS IG / Character Editor.

Greg-Bassett likes this.
  44. PeterB

PeterB

Further experiments indicate this is related to the SimplifiedEyes logic. Jittering stopped as soon as I replaced the eye GameObjects with AAA eyes (from Tanuki). However, other problems appear: the eyes don't follow or scale with bodymorphing blendshapes.

I can't find any information anywhere on how to replace the eyes shipped with Morph3D characters, so I'd be very grateful for any help.

45. cspencer3d

cspencer3d

Hello from the Morph 3D team

We have been busy working on the next version of MCS and we are proud to have version 1.0R3 released! The R3 version of MCS male and female figures are available on both the Unity and Morph 3D store for download. We have more exciting changes coming soon!

MCS 1.0r3:

Upgrades

-Skin Shader
    -Hair

Improvements

-LOD Transition Performance
    -Name Sorting
    -Code and Asset Import Process
    -General M3DCharacterManager Performance
    -Standardized Shaders for Hair, Clothing, Skin

Fixes

-Blendshape Jittering Issue when Blendshapes are Animated at Runtime
    -Character Grouping Issues
    -GUI Issues
    -Prop Layout Issues
    -R3 code backwards compatible with older content

46. EDarkness

EDarkness

I'm going to download new versions and see if they help with my MCS problems. I hope so. Are there any instructions on updating? Like do we have to remove everything and then update from there?

47. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I seem to be having issues with pink hair now. I picked up Female on the asset store but got my ranger from your guys web store. I downloaded ranger again too but it seems to be exact same size as what I already had. Would really be nice if our web download area showed the currently available version and there was also a version.txt or something like that which we could quickly see which version is downloaded. I'm assuming the pink hair has something to do with the hair changes in 1.0r3 being different than what is in the female ranger?

I'm running Unity 5.3.1 building for windows standalone on a windows 7 x64 machine.

Btw.. was working fine before updating MCS Female.

48. Xialya

Xialya

Reasigning the shaders didn't help. Still getting pink hair on builds.

Would be good to know whether the webstore is updated as well. Also that old recurring issue with pink hair.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  49. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Ditto... I even created a new project just in case it was a conflict from something else. With nothing but MCS Female and my Female Ranger gear installed, everything showed fine except her hair. :(

50. Freddy888

Freddy888

Thank you very much - I thought I had wasted my money. :)