Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. atmosfearteam

atmosfearteam

How can a part of a costume item model be modified and still work in Unity?

We purchased the MCS Male: Space Marine asset and wanted to modify part of the suit model.

We are able to do it in Blender, but the exported file no longer works as a costume item for the Morph3D male character after that.

Also it doesn't even import into Blender very well. When imported its all jumbled up and we have to reset all the bone positions for it to be even close to a T pose.

But the main issue is exporting and using it again in Unity. It doesn't work. Is there certain export settings we need or maybe we need to use a different program than Blender?

2. hopeful

hopeful

@EntropicalFruit - Welcome back!

Just wanted to point out that the MCS store is lacking some of the models found in the Unity store. That's probably an oversight ...?

(What's missing are the two Wasteland characters.)

3. mushroomxy

mushroomxy

@EntropicalFruit ,I need the real infomation about the standard male charactor,like this ;the height is 180cm when the height percentvalue is 50 etc,could you supply the data,and also could you supply the toolkit for change the face material or texture in your change cloth toolkits?I'm really looking forward to see the cloth toolkit ,I can't wait to see it!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  4. montyfi

montyfi

Why not to put Unity standard cube nearby and check for yourself scaling the cube?

5. abertrand

abertrand

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this issue but my model's eyes look very strange (see picture below)

I didn't modify the model in any way: just downloaded MCS Female Lite and dragged the MCSFemaleLite object onto my scene. I tried MCS Male Lite and the eyes look even stranger... Any clue how to fix it? My Unity version is 5.3.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you on a Mac? If so, try changing the graphics API to Open GL 2.

7. abertrand

abertrand

Thanks for your reply. I am indeed on a mac. How do you go about changing the graphics API to Open GL 2.?

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

Go into your player settings, turn off "Auto graphics API", and then drag OpenGL2 to the top.

9. abertrand

abertrand

No luck unfortunately: just did so and re-imported, re-spawned MCS Female Lite and still the same issue...

10. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

From the profiler, it is stopping on Texture.AwakeFromLoad

11. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

How does your normal map look? How high is your intensity of the normal map?

12. abertrand

abertrand

Thank you, your question led me to look into the maps for the eyes and I've found the issue. Basically for some reason when I imported the male lite package it switched all the maps for the eyes on the female to the male ones. Go figure... Changed them back and eyes look good now!

berk-maketafi likes this.
  13. AshyB

AshyB

Could you tell me how you fixed the shader errors? Its holding me up at the moment :(

14. AshyB

AshyB

Heres some more info to help you debug morph peeps.

Attached Files:

15. hopeful

hopeful

FWIW, MCS has two new characters (Old World Knight and Elven Sentinel) in the asset store. These two and the two Wasteland characters introduced in December are not on the MCS website yet.

16. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hey all, I've just downloaded the Female Lite asset to try MCS for the first time. It seems pretty great, but right off the bat I'm running into problems with the skin poking through the clothing:

It's especially noticeable here on the shoulder and knees, but there are other places where it happens too.

I don't see this sort of thing in the screen shots; is there anything I could be doing wrong?

17. hopeful

hopeful

Is it just in the editor, or does it happen in the build too?

I think the behavior that's been reported for a while is that this goes away in the build.

18. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Oh, I dunno — I actually need this to work in the editor. (I'm making sprites out of this, and many other character models, in order to populate a High Frontier city with lots of tiny people going about their business... it would throw a wrench into my workflow if I had to make a build.)

But I guess I can try.

19. hopeful

hopeful

I think a lot of people would prefer it if it would work right in the editor too, but if you can confirm it is working in the build, there's at least that. It is expected there will be updates to MCS, and hopefully the clipping in the editor can get fixed before long.

20. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, nope, it's doing the same thing in a build too. (Tested with Mac Standalone OpenGL 4.1.)

I see there is an alpha attached to the skin material, but it's solid white. Is the script supposed to update this dynamically as clothing is added/removed?

21. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Tim from Ootii has a solution for this with his Mount Points asset if your are interested.

22. hopeful

hopeful

Ah, okay. Sorry for the misdirection. I haven't been working with MCS, but I thought I'd read about this clipping issue several times in this thread.

23. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The folks at Daz3D say this is a recently-found issue on Mac OS X with Unity 5.3. So, I may have to just wait for an update. :(

berk-maketafi and hopeful like this.
  24. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

How did you do that? I just ran into the same issue; imported the Male Lite package, and now the eyes of both male and female figures are screwed up.

But I don't understand how to "change them back" as you did... can you explain?

Also (unrelated), what is the fix for the pink hair issue on the Male Lite model?

25. AshyB

AshyB

I don't think it is possible to work in the editor. From what I've examined it looks like it's build only.

The last time I built to dx11 on Windows it was working fine.

26. abertrand

abertrand

Hi Joe,

Looks like Morph3d need to get their stuff together ;-) To change the maps do as follows:
    1. After you've put your model into your scene, look for its eyes in the hierarchy
    2. Click on the first G2FSimplifiedEyes_394.Shape object and, in its inspector, open its shader details:
    3. Click on the thumbnails for the main maps: if your issue is the same as mine, you'll see they refer to male maps for the female and vice versa:
    4. Just replace with the right maps and you're done (hopefully)!

John-G and JoeStrout like this.
  27. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Thanks, that makes total sense and it solved the problem!

abertrand likes this.
  28. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    Just bought this. Unity 5.2.2 OSX 10.8.5.

Image attached of the female character.
    I've followed the install instructions,
    but i don't think this is working properly.

What is the name of the object in the hierarchy of the root gameobject?

I don't see any aspects of the MCSFemale that have the "M3D character manager."

I tried to reimport the figure, but unity said all of the objects are in the project.
    Same thing when i tried to reimport the whole Morph3d folder.

any assistance on this would be much appreciated.

thanks,

READ ME:
    1) If this is the first time you've imported A Morph3D Package, you'll need to reimport the "MORPH3D" folder. The reason for this is that unity will not always import the Morph3D DLL before it imports the content. Our DLL file sets up the content for you on import. It's worth the wait. It saves hours of time, and connects all the amgic together so things work properly.

2) Drag a Male or Female Character into a scene. He or she should be textured and have a component called "M3D Character Manager" on the root gameobject. Reimport the figure if the component is missing or the figures are not textured.

3) Test the blendshapes by toggling down the blendshapes menu on the character manager, and use sliders to make something you like.

4) Hair, Props, and Clothing are called "costume items" in the Morph3D Character System. To add one to your figure, drag a MCS fbx prefab into the "Show Content Packs" slot in the character manager. You will then have access to hiding and showing the costume item (hair, clothing and props) via the appropriate dropdown in the character manager GUI.

Attached Files:

29. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yep, I ran into the same thing yesterday, and you're right, the documentation is pretty lacking.

What I had to do was delete the MCSFemaleLite folder from the project. Then reimport the package, and deselect everything except that MCSFemaleLite folder. (EDIT: I'm using the Lite version, obviously... I imagine you'd do the same thing with the MCSFemale folder.)

After that, when you drag the prefab into the scene, she will still be naked and bald, but at least she'll have skin tone and a MCS Character Manager component. Then you can twist open "Content Packs" and drag hair and outfit into the slot labeled "New".

30. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I am having trouble with the head skin poking through the hair. This is the full MCS female and of course, at runtime (in editor). I see there are two objects for the hair and both are using the "Morph3D/Standard-2pass-double sided" shader. Any ideas?

hair.jpg

31. celebrus

celebrus

32. montyfi

montyfi

That doesn't mean reimport the package. What it means - right click on folder and click reimport.

33. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hey, I didn't know that either! Hopefully they can update their Read Me to save future people some grief.

34. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Thanks. Guess I should just read this whole thread to see what other gotchas there are before I ask something that was answered before :p

[edit] oh I see. It was basically what I was doing to "fix" the problem (which does not look good). At least it is a known problem so we can just wait for an official fix.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  35. mushroomxy

mushroomxy

hi,everybody,i have changed the basic Male's mesh in maya ,but not increse or decrease the number of the Male's mesh vertices, just change their postion,I add the M3D CharacterManager component,but the detail of blendshape has missed, just left the LOD,if I want th change my mesh ,the Morph3D is useless;can anybody or @EntropicalFruit can help me ?

PS;
    I want to overlaped some mesh that I don't want to ues ,so i shrinked the mesh ,and added an extra outfit,and also,I can use the blendshapes that Morph3D supplied.,but it doesn't work....

36. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'm new to this, but it seems to me that either you use Morph3D characters and their blend shapes as they are, or you throw them out and do your own modeling (possibly starting with an M3D mesh as a base, but never going back). I don't see how you could have it both ways at once.

37. celebrus

celebrus

Morph3D will be coming out with tools for designers in Q1 2016. When this happens you might be able to edit the meshes.

kurotatsu likes this.
  38. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Hope this happens before I make a final decision on character solution, else I'll have to go with UMA. Being stuck with only their releases is not an option.

tequyla and kurotatsu like this.
  39. Ylor

Ylor

Hi!

I have a question: How does the LOD work? I can see it has different LOD-levels for each mesh and that I can change it manually with a slider. But is it automatically used by cameras viewing the model, in play-mode, or do I have to implement LOD-groups manally?

40. AshyB

AshyB

You have to do it manually but its really simple. Cant remember what the method is called, something like charactermanager.setlod() and you just pass a float in from 0-1. 0 is the lowest lod and 1 is the highest. It automatically blends between them.

I made a script and whacked it on my main camera which changes the lod based on the character distance from the camera. Presto auto lod!

41. Ylor

Ylor

Ok! Thank you! However, I'm using 4 cameras (split screen). But I'll see if I can manually add the different LOD-versions to a standard Unity LOD-group. Otherwise, I'll have to script something which always keeps track of the closest camera (possible, but kind of ugly), but I guess that means all 4 cameras have work with the same LOD as the closest camera.

42. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

You can put all your characters in a list and change the lod onPreRender or
    docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.OnPreCull.html

43. Ylor

Ylor

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, it seems I'll have to do that. I tried applying standard unity LOD-groups, but it turns out they don't work, since the M3DCharacterManager still applies it's float value, which makes all LOD-verisions, except one at a time, disabled. I thought I could easily change this, but since M3DCharacterManager is precompiled and I don't have access to the source code, I can't. Though it is not particularly difficult implementing your suggestion with a continously updating list of all characters currently in the scene changing LOD in OnPreRender , I still don't like having to do special solutions for something where there is a purpose built solution included in Unity.

I would really like it if I could get the source code of the script, but If you don't want that for risk of piracy, I at least suggest you make using your built in LOD function optional. It could just be a check box.

I was planning on having many characters (often killed and respawned) in my scene, and the game can be played by up to 4 people in split screen mode. This means I have to keep a dynamic, updated list of all characters and regularly compare each character with the distance to each camera IF that camera is facing that character. That seems like a very unecessary extra task for me to make and for my program to execute, when there is built in functionality which does exactly this ;) To I'd be thankful for source code access or a switch off checkbox in the character controller script.

44. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Do you mean the errors when building or errors while running the project in Unity?

I have intermittent issues with shaders; but using all stock from M3D figure, it works just fine.

45. hopeful

hopeful

FWIW, there's a new version of MCS base model to download in the asset store. (1.0r2)

46. montyfi

montyfi

Sent a couple of support requests from your site @EntropicalFruit but never got any response, even automated one. I'm wondering if it is working at all. Trying to get this offer:
    Limited time offer: After your purchase of this product, provide your order number through a support ticket at Morph3D.com and receive a $20 store credit toward add-on content to use with it at Morph3D.com

47. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah, I sent an email to support the day this offer appeared. No answer yet, and it's days later.

48. celebrus

celebrus

Thanks for the info.

Morph3D can you please update your store for those of us who purchased there. I am asking here because I am not sure if there is anyone who reads your support email.

49. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

+1 to support emails not seeming to work .Least you can do is automated response so we know it went through ok and just have to wait for a human to get around to reading it..

50. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

I requested a password reset for my account (as I never had my account confirmation in the first place, but I'm getting their commercials though) in december last year to buy the discounted stuff. Up until now nothing, not even the slightest acknowledgement they are aware of my request. I'm not feeling comfortable using their products knowing you get 0.0 support.