Search Unity

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

@Cyance - thanks for that. It's great to hear that the pack is working just fine :)

berk-maketafi and Cyance like this.
  2. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

@BillO The Espionage suit was updated on the 8th Dec from it's original drop on the 27th Nov. The Assetstore should show it as a new version, unless you downloaded after the update on the 8th Dec. We could certainly help things by showing revision numbers on assets we update. Thanks for pointing this out to us.

berk-maketafi likes this.
  3. FarmerBilly

FarmerBilly

Forgot to add - the "pink hair" bug was occurring for me with 5.3, not tested with 5.2.x.

4. carmine

carmine

Hello,
    I'm also having the pink hair problem. This only happens in builds (and not in the editor). I'm using 5.2.3. I've done the re-import and all that.

I've tried a build for mac and pc, both have this issue. I'd love to throw my money at you, but I can't till this is fixed. Also I'm hoping you're making a female version of the starship crew!

EDIT:
    - It can happen in the editor as well as builds.
    Here is error message (as seen in the editor console)

Shader error in 'Morph3D/Volund Variants/Standard Hair': 'UnityDecodeCubeShadowDepth' : no matching overloaded function found at UnityShadowLibrary.cginc(97) (on opengl)

Compiling Vertex program with POINT SHADOWS_CUBE SHADOWS_SOFT _NORMALMAP _DETAIL_MULX2 _ALPHATEST_ON _SPECGLOSSMAP

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  5. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

That's interesting. It sounds like we don't have an openGL variant for this shader (or we haven't excluded the right build types or fallbacks). I'll flag this up for further investigation, it's definitely something we need to check on. Thanks @carmine for the extra information.

FarmerBilly and hopeful like this.
  6. wjpeters

wjpeters

Hello Morph 3D team,

I also go the pink hair problem on the Jersey Girl NordicHair in the editor (Unity 5.3 - iOS platform). The Jersey Girl outfit crashes Unity 5.3. I re-imported the package several times but can't get it to work.

EntropicalFruit likes this.
  7. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

Thanks @wjpeters for the heads up on those points. I'll flag them up and report back with further information and/or update details.

wjpeters likes this.
  8. Cyance

Cyance

Just remove the hair, do your thing in Unity and wait for Morph3D when there is a solution. And add it back in :)

9. Cyance

Cyance

Hi all,

have a questions, I would like to change the LOD in runtime also with a slider.

if i use this
    manager=mcsModel.GetComponent<M3DCharacterManager>();

and

public void SetLODValue (floatvalue)
    {
    manager.SetLODValue(value); --> what do i have to use here
    }

Was easier when M3D Character Manager was in C# :)

Thanks

10. NeoKuro

NeoKuro

Great product, it can be really great if not just for the array of clothing alone. However as a programmer, I have to say it is quite difficult/tedious having to scroll through the list of 100+ or so different options to find the one option I'm trying to manipulate, only to find it doesn't work.

Is it not possible to use a simple string (such as those strings used in the inspector editor for the morph avatars - for instance using "Height" instead of the more complicated/less obvious "XYZHeight" etc?) as I mess around in the inspector finding options I want to edit before scripting them into my editor, so it'd be 1000x easier to know what strings to input etc.

Also, the changes aren't really noticable some of the time (for instance I set the Cheek Sink of both cheeks to maximum, and it only affected the visual appearance a tiny amount (it was barely noticable when the avatar was standing still, let alone when they are moving?

Still a great system, but was hoping for input on the above issues I've encountered (the first - the using odd strings to refer to a specific option instead of a plain/simple name - is the biggest issue I have)

11. movra

movra

Agreed. Where possible I print the list of blendshape names and ids. Then I set the blendshape through code. Because waiting for the dropdown to scroll to blendshape #350 takes about a day, at least that's how it feels.

12. Temuzhin

Temuzhin

Hello,

I wish to know if it's possible the polycount of the FemaleLite and MaleLite meshes, LOD0, LOD1, LOD2, LOD3.

Thanks.

13. celebrus

celebrus

They are both about the same:

LOD0: 40k
    LOD1: 18K
    LOD2: 12K
    LOD3: 6K

Hair, eyes, clothes is extra.

14. Plutoman

Plutoman

I haven't played around with the customization much in code, but if I could suggest doing something like an enum based blendshape, so it's all in the code, or rather a statically compiled setup where the strings are built in as static variables, named appropriately?

I'm sure that would make it much clearer. Now, I'm not sure if the reason that isn't done is because it's accessing a blendshape variable by name on the mesh itself, which means the mesh has named the blendshapes, and accessibility for the future... but that said, it would make it easier to have at least the core ones, and then allow a string setup for any ones not in the core.

15. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

With regards to blendshape naming and naming conventions, I'll find out and report back with definitive answers.

16. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

The SedtLODValue() takes a float from zero to one where one is the highest poly LOD and zero is the lowest poly LOD (LOD3)

17. movra

movra

Maybe I was a bit vague. For me it's not so much a problem with Morph3D, but with the Unity editor.

Oh Unity, why don't you have a scrollbar in your dropdown list?

So to bypass that scrolling I save a list of blendshapes to disk. I attach the component below to the character and run the scene.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class PrintBlendShapeNames : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     private void Start()
    4.     {
    5.         var m = GetComponent<MORPH3D.M3DCharacterManager>();
    6.         var names = m.GetAllBlendshapeNames();
    8.         string fileName = string.Format("BlendShapeNames-{0}.txt", gameObject.name);
    9.         if (File.Exists(fileName))
    10.         {
    11.             Debug.Log(fileName + " already exists.");
    12.             return;
    13.         }
    14.         var sr = File.CreateText(fileName);
    16.         for (int i = 0; i < names.Count; i++)
    17.         {
    18.             sr.WriteLine("{0}: {1}", i, names[i]);
    19.         }
    21.         sr.Close();
    22.     }
    23. }
    The visemes are grouped together and prefixed with VSM:
    Then I get the ID's from the resulting text file and type them into the inspector.

2015-12-18_13-23-38.png

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  18. Shadex

Shadex

I am a little confused. I've been reading through the 10 page's and have yet to find an answer. Is Morph3d releasing a toolkit to make clothes or not?

Is there a way to attach your own armor/clothes?

I've worked with unity assets that are controlled by .dll files before, and had very little luck with them as they often try to control every aspect of their use and purposely limit their flexibility. Everyone understands people need to make money, But i really do not understand the point of having a highly flexible character customization that purposely limit's itself by subscribing to the EA DLC model.

Could you guy's just release the clothing tool for another $50 bucks? Most of us do not mind paying money, but most of us also do not want to get in to a situation where we are subscribing to a system that will essentially milk us every time we want a new model.

19. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

@Shadex We're really looking forward to releasing the clothing toolkit, and seeing what people create with it. It's one of our most requested features, and something we want to get right. Our rough roadmap for the release of the tool set is Q1 2016. We will still be producing our own content packs as well, to provide as rounded a solution as possible.

20. Shadex

Shadex

Awesome, as soon as the tool set is released i will most likely pick up the main asset, the tool set and 2 content packs that i have been looking at.

21. The-Little-Guy

The-Little-Guy

Any Ideas on how well this works with games that would contain many characters, such as an RTS type of game?

Let's say with 100 - 200 Characters

22. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

This is something that you learn only when you have enough experience to know the amount of poly per character, in the context of your game. Plus there is the logic, particle effects and so on; so the best wouold be to have a trial scene and see how well it scale with your project. Get the free asset, put plenty of them in the scene and see what happens.

Just to give you an idea, an average RTS entity is 50-1K poly, depends from culling, how far is the camera and the zoom factor. This asset in the smalles LOD seems to have 6k. It won't take you too long to figure out the breaking point for your game, using the free asset.

23. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Looking forward to it; but please do not make the tool too hard to use :)

I am willing to spend money for your clothes; if your tool allow for customization of the clothes is already a step forward in the right direction. Plus I do not plan to make hair; so you will always have customers for specific categories of content.

Not expecting drag and drop of obj files and conform them, kinda like it may happen in Poser, but something user friendly would be very appreciated. And of course you can sell the tool too; if you save me time I gladly spend money for it.

24. The-Little-Guy

The-Little-Guy

@darshie1976 alright, I guess I will have to do that. 50 - 1k is the average then these probably won't work... But maybe, I will have to test...

On another note, @Morph 3D will items purchased from the http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ work on these figures? If so, can we use them on these figures? I have purchased many things from the daz store I would like to use them on these figures if it is possible. Also when purchasing things from the store there were morphs that aren't included in the mcs packages, can those be imported as well and used?

25. celebrus

celebrus

If you can get it to work, be aware of that you would need a Daz game developer license which cost $500 to $2500. That is for DAZ 3D owned models (Artist: DAZ Originals). For non Daz owned content, you will need a license with the PA.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  26. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Sadly it is impossible to pull out numbers or averages for poly count, because there are so many factors that weight it. Your game logic is soemthing that only you know; the process often involve write logic, put the mesh in, optimize the code, optimize the mesh and try to balance everything.

I would ignore DAZ models; it is fun to import them but for any commercial or non-commercial project, you can't use them without a license from the site, which cost more than what an artist would charge you for something similar, made for you from scratch.
    Also they are super high in poly count, most of the time are unusable unless you do a re-topo (which if I recall correctly, is considered illegal since it break the NDA agreement). I did try t go for that route, but then I found that it cost me less to hire an artist with a contract for few months, and get everything that I need, for much less than a single license. Unless you want exactly that specific design and asset of course.
    DAZ assets are for static render and animations, too much hassle to get the license, re-topo everything to make it "3d engine friendly" IMO.

I believe the guys behind MCS are also involved with DAZ; the Female model looks very similar to the Genesis2 mesh, and you can see how much work they had to put in, to make the product usable in Unity. Your best bet is either to wait and hope that MCS products evolve and improve, or hire some CG student and get your own assets (with obvious risks that you may get awesome stuff or pure trash)

27. Temuzhin

Temuzhin

Hello,

How can I equip/unequip items/clothes through code?

m3dcmPlayerCharacter.DetectAttachedHair();
    m3dcmPlayerCharacter.SetVisibilityOnHairItem("Gn2BritHair",true);

Thanks

28. umutozkan

umutozkan

Cyance and hopeful like this.
  29. Cyance

Cyance

Hi Umutozkan,

do we get a Tutorial Part 4 ? ;)

Kind regards

Philip

30. hopeful

hopeful

31. Tryz

Tryz

I thought I'd share...

I've been playing around with a couple of character systems and I've decided to go with MCS for my game. I didn't think I'd need the blend shapes all that much, but I really did get the character to look how I wanted (fit, but not overly muscular). And, I'm loving accessing the blend shapes at run-time!

The characters are also looking really great. I know there's not native support for custom clothing yet, but I've created a working solution.

I'm a programmer, not an artist... but here's my character in progress:

The chest plate, pauldrons, utility belt, boots, and shirt are all skinned meshes I can swap in and out at run-time. The bracer is a static mesh that I've mounted to the left forearm. I plan on adding more static meshes for the scabbard, back pack, etc.

It all animates using Kubold's animations and the whole thing looks great. Using MCS as the base for my characters has turned out awesome!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  32. celebrus

celebrus

Hi,

I attached a simple script that you can use on your character. It is a script to make eyes more natural. It currently only supports blinking, but I will add eye movement later. To use you just select your mcs character and drag the script to the inspector.

https://github.com/CelebrusStudios/mcs

It is not 100% production ready yet, for example don't set the maximum blink time greater than minimum blink rate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    John-G, jazz75, Tryz and 2 others like this.
  33. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi Tryz, can you apply blendshapes to those custom pieces too or do they fit only to a certain sized caharacter? I'd like to know how to do that!

34. Tryz

Tryz

Because I'm just using regular skinned meshes, only some of the morphs seemed to affect the clothing. I'm just guessing, but I think they were ones that manipulated bones vs. vertices.

For my guy, I have him at the size and shape I wanted and built specifically for that. This is the guide that I followed to do it:
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MountPoints/SkinnedMeshes.pdf

(I apologize if this comes off as a shameless plug. I really don't mean it that way. I was just excited to see it all actually come together. :D)

celebrus and umutozkan like this.
  35. umutozkan

umutozkan

It seems something's wrong with the alpha masking with some items.
    alphamask1.png
    When I don't put the shirt on I can see that alpha masking is working under the vest though.
    alphamask2.png

Anyone else having this kind of problem, or know how to fix this?

36. EDarkness

EDarkness

This is a serious problem with this asset. They need a better solution for clothes because whatever they're using now isn't a good solution at all.

37. Wtyson

Wtyson

@EntropicalFruit any news when they next update for mcs will come out ? i cant update my project to latest version of unity till a update comes out due to mcs not being compatible with 5.3.1 i get nothing but c++ errors due to the mcs plugin. or if the mcs plug inhas been update on your site for latest version i would like to know due to me buying it off your site and not in the asset store. i sent a email regarding this about 2 weeks ago and still no reply from any one from morph on the 2 emails i sent from your contact form.... some info on this would be nice thanks.......

38. Wizard1200

Wizard1200

@Morph 3D:
    Will you release the MCS at the Unreal Marketplace, too? I ask, because the Unreal Marketplace needs a flexible character system as much as the Unity Store in my opinion.

39. Tryz

Tryz

Morph3D is generating an odd error with Sword Animset Pro:

UnityException: Creating asset at path Assets/SwordShieldAnimsetPro/Animations/Materials/.mat failed.
    MaterialImporter.OnAssignMaterialModel (UnityEngine.Material material, UnityEngine.Renderer renderer) (at Assets/MORPH3D/Scripts/Editor/MaterialImporter.cs:69)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.AttributeHelper.InvokeMemberIfAvailable (System.Object target, System.String methodName, System.Object[] args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AttributeHelper.cs:249)
    UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.ProcessMeshAssignMaterial (UnityEngine.Renderer renderer, UnityEngine.Material material) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetPostprocessor.cs:198)

The only material that exists is one called "Dummy.mat" at that folder. So, I'm not sure why Morph3D's material importer is generating an error. It's not really stopping me, but it is annoying as it pops up fairly randomly.

40. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

There is an unnamed material in the fbx, just ignore it or import the fbx without materials.

41. Tryz

Tryz

Yeah, that's what's odd... all the FBXs have "Import Materials" unchecked.

Fortunately, ignoring it does work. It just feels like I'm ignoring the engine-warning-light in my car. ;)

42. mushroomxy

mushroomxy

Hi Tryz,i have exported my cloth fbx file, after added Mount Points component in my charactor,when i add a SkinneddItems , i set my asset path in the ResourcesPath,it loged that“Resource not found ,if you want to instantiate the item at run-time,please ensure the file is in "Resourves" folder ”,my asset located at Assets\ Resources\Cloth\shirt.fbx,i set ResourcesPath "Cloth\shirt", but it doesn't work,how can i fix the problem ,can you show me the folder struct,tks!

PS:
    i change the folder struct as the demo ,but it doesn't work either,

Attached Files:

• 111.png
      111.png
      File size:
      17.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  43. Tryz

Tryz

44. Muralidaran

Muralidaran

Hello. Nice looking characters but I am having an issue with UFPS. They seem to be incompatable. I get everything setup and when I start the game the player won't move and shooting once causes the player to keep firing until the clip is empty. Any clue how to fix theis or does someone know of a 1st/3rd person asset that is full compatable already?

Thanks,
    Mura

45. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

What does JCTAdapter.LateUpdate() do? It creates about 50kb garbage per character per frame, with 128 characters it takes almost 20ms on my i7. If I deactivate it, the character seems to work nonetheless.

@Muralidaran: those are standard skinned meshes, they should just work. UFPS shouldn't even know that they are morph3d-characters.

EntropicalFruit and hopeful like this.
  46. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Having trouble getting these models to run without crashing on an older mobile device. They work fine on my HTC One M9, but fail on a Galaxy S3. Does anyone have any tips or things I should be considering for mobile?

I am using mobile shaders as replacements for the ones that come default with the MCS Male/Female package. And I cut out much of the unused children objects on the prefabs. I am not sure what else I can do. Any tips appreciated.

47. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

Hi @renaissanceCoder1 I've not come across anyone having this issue before. Does the unity log file mention anything about the crash, or is the crash happening the instant you try to instantiate an MCS model?

48. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

49. EntropicalFruit

EntropicalFruit

Nothing yet, but it's the first day back. I'll ask round and report back.

50. Jaimi

Jaimi

Needs a way to hide polygons that are under clothes, so they a) don't take up fillrate for nothing, and b) don't poke through clothes in some animations.

JoeStrout and EDarkness like this.