Search Unity

[RELEASED] > > > > > > > > > > > [Modular] PBR SciFi Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jakob-R, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

LogoBlackForum.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Hi everybody,

My name is Jakob and i am a 3d artist from austria, i am doing 3d stuff since ages but the last 7 month i spent almost only learning the state of the art PBR workflows for games and while doing so, i made this pack. Lots of things have been done several times with the goal of providing a perfect modular scifi pack for you that is focused on PBR and semi PBR worklows(e.g. Skyshop).

I know that there is a lot of migrating towards unreal going on because what they show suggests that they have superior rendering power but i still strongly believe in unity and that unity is absolutely able to compete with unreal. It all comes down on the content and shaders. This Pack will hopefully prove that unity is able to keep up with its big competitors in the AAA environment. That does not mean that my pack is only suitable for AAA productions, with the modularity it should be possible to even use it for topdown or sidescrolling scenarios, you could even use it for basic learning projects like a cool scifi themed rolling marble game. Its all about your imagination ;)

Presi_Forum.jpg

The [MoDuLaR] PBR SciFi Pack contains:
    37 PBR Texture Sets
    250 Meshes
    300 Prefabs
    40 Materials
    PBR Shaders

Upon your first import of the pack you probably will be a bit shocked how much stuff is in there but i wanted to provide you with enough possibilities to make levels for a whole game and not only a single level. Things are very modular so you should not be worried that your game will look the same as the game of somebody else who is also using this pack.

Compatiblity:
    Since my pack is supporting both PBR Workflows (Spec/Gloss and Metalness/Roughness) it should be compatible with all PBR Shaders for unity. It is extensively tested with Jove 2.0 and Skyshop but i am sure the textures will work with any other PBR/Semi PBR solutions. Of course you can also use them in a non PBR environment ;) If you dont have a use for a SciFi themed pack but you are interested to learn about physical based rendering in games, this pack might be also usefull for you...

Some Screenshots:
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

Links:
    Assetstore
    ReadMe PDF

Builds:
    Main Demo
    Material Demo
    Buildings Demo
    Modularity Demo

Videos:

SnazzyGrid:
    I am also very happy that i am able to include the awesome SnazzyGrid from the Snazzy Tools Series
    (by Becoming & Eagle555, some unity Veterans who are known for e.g. TerrainComposer, the 24Hour Terrain Demo, Artworks to showcase RTP 3.1, and more)

SnazzyGrid is a very powerfull tool which, in my opinion, everybody who works with unity should use. It just saves sooo much time! The best of it, it is included in my pack for FREE!!!
    (Huge thanks to Becoming & Eagle555 for their generousity)

If you use my pack or other modular assets, you should also take a look at their latest release SnazzyPaint. Its complimentary to SnazzyGrid and also works like a charm with my pack.
    SnazzyPaint on the AssetStore

Ok that's it ;)
    My pack is availible on the Assetstore for 75$

I hope many of you will find it usefull and i hope to get some feedback. If you have any questions or need help to understand some aspects of my pack just let me know and i'll do my best to help you out!

Regards,
    Jakob

Becoming likes this.
  3. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

A texture set:
    PresiMaps3.jpg

Some of the included materials:
    MaterialPreview1.jpg MaterialPreview2.jpg MaterialPreview3.jpg

4. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Jakob,

Congratulations with the release!

Nathaniel

5. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Thank you, Nathaniel!

6. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

7. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

8. THoeppner

THoeppner

Hey Jakob,

the package is really great and contains nearly everything I need to build the levels I have in mind :)

I have one question to the glass shaders your using. The glass in the wall parts and the doors is totally black and not transparent.

I'm using the free version of Unity. Is this a problem for the shaders?

9. THoeppner

THoeppner

Hey Jakob,

i tried your suggestion to test your demo scene but there is the same problem. Also it doesn't matter if I change one of the textures or one of the other values of the shader. The glass stays totally black. I tried the Versions 4.53 and the 4.6 of Unity. But the same result.

One other thing I noticed: for the skybox material in the render settings you set a material named Internal IBL Skybox. But the package doesn't contains this material. Therefore the demo scene has a pink background. Maybe you can add the material in an updated version of the package.

10. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Hey THoppner, thanks!

Yes it's because of the free version. I will make a second version of the glass shader without the refraction fx so it will work with Unity Free. In meantime you can use the textures with some Unity shader or maybe Skyshops Glass if you have. Removing the refraction from of the shader should not take long ;)

All the best,
    Jakob

11. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Rendered with skyshop:
    PBR_SciFi_Pack.jpg

Rendered with Jove:
    Jove1.jpg

12. Becoming

Becoming

Hey Jakob,
    Thanks for the kind words, hope that SnazzyGrid will be of help for your users! Also, i must say your new presentation is really top :D

My best wishes for you and the success of your outstanding pack!
    Peter

13. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

14. Wavinator

Wavinator

Gorgeous work! I love your use of angles, too many modular kits seem to be highly orthogonal. Definitely want to pick this up once my devastated gaming budget recharges. (Any chance of a sale anytime soon?:p)

I'm wondering about being able to retexture, say if I don't like the yellow dashed lines or want them to be a different color, or want to swap the "Area 3" wording with something else. How hard would that be? I'm thinking of the pipe levels, being able to add symbols or colored rings to the texture. I know some of this might be best accomplished with decaling, but things like the dashed lines would be a pain.

15. giraffe1

giraffe1

does this come with the pipe system builder?

16. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Hey Wavinator, thanks!
    About your questions, they will be answered in my next post, i already was working on this things ;)
    I know its hard for small developers to get by with a small budget. I'm that way, too. But for the moment there is no sale.

Greetings
    Jakob

17. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Sure, the pipe system and SnazzyGrid are just a part of the package!

18. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Hello guys!
    I was working the last few days on the upcoming version, it will be also possible to change the diffuse color. I will add for each texture a minimized work document(psd) where you can simply change the diffuse channel to make your own color scheme or disable text like "AREA3" on the texture... And if you are experienced with photoshop you can even use the layers as maskes to create new spec or gloss maps, too. But over all there are already many textures and variations of them to use in different setups, like for the walls, handrails, doors...
    All textures are tillable and fit to the majority of meshes, this extends also to the tube system. The lines also look great with some emissive effect!

The coming update has new (and very powerful) shaders, Tom the author of the famous RTP made the shaders so you can expect some serious cool stuff. These shaders and more of course will also be in his upcoming update of his RSP (Relief Shader Pack) package. some highlights: POM with selfshadows, Tesselation, dynamic reflections, localized water fx, full support for Unity 5, deferred(legacy and new) and forward shading. Performance is also a lot better.

I also noticed that the released package version haves some skybox material missing and some other small issues. This sure will be fixed, too, at this update.

I will come up with the some screenshots and the big update soon.
    See you.

hopeful likes this.
  19. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Here are some screenshots of the new RSP shaders that will be included in the coming update. I am just scratching the surface here as i still have to try out all the cool features Tom has implemented. Not even talking about Unity 5 yet, this is all still Unity 4. Can't wait to try the shaders in U5!

Jakob

RSP3.jpg RSP2.jpg RSP1.jpg RSP4.jpg RSP5.jpg

20. Becoming

Becoming

Wow, the depth and the 3d feel to the materials is amazing. You really put insane value in your pack!!

Really love that every little screw casts a realtime shadow, 1 polygon really looks like millions of polygons. Toms POM shader magic is mindblowing!

21. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I was there in the teamviewer call when Jakob showed us, and results are amazing. What you see in the screenshots is all flat polys. So the crates are only 8 polys, and they look very high poly. Tom once again proves his magic mindblowing shader skills :D. And with the new shaders the details on the textures is really showing off :D. Looking so much forward to see the final results and also for Unity5.

Nathaniel

22. tomaszek

tomaszek

Nice shader. Who made this? :D

I'm currently working on some new features like detail masks so user can vertex paint some variations on modular blocks (dirt floor, rust walls, cracks on the asphalt, etc). We can also "transport detail color to emissiveness" - will make it possible to put light come from cracks (good for rocks with lava inside) - artists can imagine how this could be used.

There is no wet features exposed yet, but Modular got it. Additionally RSP will consist of the same rain droplets feature like RTP has. Stay tuned as I will give Jakob new version soon.

Tom

23. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Here are a few screenshots of the upcoming massive update...
    (more details and screens/videos to come soon)

Let me know what you think :)

ScreensRSP1.jpg
    Regards,
    Jakob

Seneral and ChadH like this.
  24. Stiffx

Stiffx

Awesome content!

25. hopeful

hopeful

I would just caution against overdoing it with the wear and tear. I'm looking at those girders and wondering why they have wear on them.

26. Becoming

Becoming

wear and tear makes everything better :D Maybe the beams were painted before installation and the workers were sloppy...

27. yezzer

yezzer

@Jakob R. : Looks great. I'd be using this in Unity 5. Does it work well with the standard (or standard (Specular Setup)) PBR shader? I see that AO is baked into Diffuse, rather than supplied as a separate texture?

28. unicat

unicat

Any news about th update?

29. Becoming

Becoming

I know from Jakob that he is working really hard on it and it will include tons of new stuff. It will take a little longer though.

I have seen some of it in a screenshare session and i am really impressed. The Unity 5 stuff especially is really cool. Tom(Author of RTP) provides shaders that are far superior to the new Unity 5 standard shader, but i have seen that the standard shader gives very good results as well.

I am pretty sure that this pack is the most content rich pack on the assetstore, the amount of stuff in it is overwhelming :D

Jakob-R likes this.
  30. yezzer

yezzer

@Jakob R. I'm dying to get hold of one that uses the Standard shaders! Actually - I'm probably going to use the excellent Alloy shaders by @xenius - I'm going to do something similar to this with your work..

31. tomaszek

tomaszek

Let me answer you. Jakob does not need to convert anything. His package consits of models textures and additional tools that can be used in PBR Unity5 context out of the box. The reason new Modular is not out yet is that Jakob wants to close definitely what he started before - Unity4 package version. Then I'll give him "UBER" lite version of improved shaders (Unity4 version will have its own) for Unity5.

Anyway - stay tuned. You won't be disapointed. Definitely ;).

Tom

hopeful likes this.
  32. yezzer

yezzer

@tomaszek - Can you or @Jakob R. confirm which texture slots are filled in the U5 standard shader?

33. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Will people who purchase the upcoming RSP pack from tom be able to easily swap out the lite version shaders to the full version shaders ?

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

I can't cross promote it that far with MODULAR - I mean the way when you buy MODULAR with "RSP Lite" to get RSP full at lower price. But when you buy RSP now you should be able to get new U5 shaders (pumped a lot with new features) for free. Moreover I plan to rebrand RSP to "UBER", because literally a few shaders will cover all features (no dozens of shaders needed). Only shaders that really needs separate version will be separate, but most features will be right under your hand in material inspector.

Tom

35. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Ok, thanks for explaining it to me. My brother went ahead and bought this sci-fi pack yesterday. (He is very happy with the quality of work). I already purchased the RSP pack a year ago. I was hoping he could plug in the textures from this sci-fi pack (after the content update) into the new upcoming UBER shader, (which he has not purchased yet) when it is released to unlock the extra water features.

Either way, the sci fi pack looks really AAA in the screenshots.

36. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

I came across this asset via a link on @tomaszek thread for his new UBER shader.

You have a ton of content and this looks great value. I am close to pushing the buy button :)

I just have one question, do you know if I can easily swap your materials over to use Alloy shaders?

jovino likes this.
  37. Xaphan

Xaphan

I seem to have an issue with this asset. Importing on 5.1.1 just opens a ton of windows and crashes my machine. Anyone else experience this or know a fix?

38. SteveEsco

SteveEsco

Oh my... Those screenshot look amazing! Any word on where we're at with the new release?

39. yezzer

yezzer