Search Unity

[Released] Modular Fantasy Town - Asset pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Elzean, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Elzean

Elzean

Version 1.4 is available :)

2. Acissathar

Acissathar

After constantly bouncing back and forth between projects, I'm finally able to get this gorgeous package.

Because of the life changing scene view editor camera changes I'm on 2019a9. Do you know of any current issues with the pack and that version?

Is there a plan for interiors as well ?(whether asset store or commission later on, doesn't matter to me, stuffs gorgeous)

S4G4N likes this.
  3. Elzean

Elzean

Hey!

I'm glad you like the pack, I had a rapid test with 2019.1.0a9, seems fine overall, models are there with texture and materials working. But i had issues with the post processing stack from unity so you might need to download their new version on GIT or something. The pack seemed to work fine otherwise :)

About interiors, it's kind of already possible to some extend, i had some plans to add a few things to help with it but didn't get the time to add them for moment.

Acissathar likes this.
  4. Emile97

Emile97

can this asset work on mobile or does it need to be optimized ?

5. Elzean

Elzean

I didn't test on mobile but models don't have very high poly and those that are a bit high have LODs (so you can just directly use the LOD). Textures are packed into Atlases.

The pack have many pieces that you put together, you might want to use something like mesh baker or some of the "meshcombine" script that can be found on the forum which may help for mobile.

The most important things:

- mark all fixed object as static and bake your lights (avoid dynamic shadows)
    - reduce the texture resolution to the lowest amount you can (for mobile you probably have no difference between 4k and 2k texture, you might even go lower depending on the type of game)
    - make good use of the occlusion culling
    - swith to standard shader or even simpler ones optimized for mobile

I don't know if you saw this video from Unity official channel:

They build a world made of many many mesh pieces and run it on mobile, so i don't think my pack would be the main concern for performance (like i said, meshes are fairly simple and textures are pack into atlases)

May be someone who has the pack could share his experience on mobile ?

Anyway i hope this help :)

6. Elzean

Elzean

Also i have 2 destop demo and an HTML5 one in the first post. I can open the HTML5 one on Mobile (not sure all phone can open HTML5) but i can't rotate the camera (didn't made the controls for mobile), you can still use the arrows on screen to switch houses and see the animations, its smooth for me, might help with your question :)

7. world_naoki

world_naoki

Hello,

I bought this asset and I like this.
    But I have a problem.
    I want to extract material and textures from substance materials.How can I do that?

I use Unity 2017.4.22.

8. Elzean

Elzean

Sorry i don't remember exactly how to do it in that version of Unity, but the best way to do it otherwise is to use the substance player (it's free) : https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-player

From this you can open the substances and export all the maps.

9. world_naoki

world_naoki

Thank you.
    I can do that.
    But I have one more thing to know.
    There is 5 pavement textures and materials on unity asset.
    But when I open the pavement sbsar by substance player, there is only pavement_01 maps.
    Where can I find other 4 pavement maps.

10. Elzean

Elzean

If i understand correctly, those are generate from that 1 sbsar but with different parameters :)

11. nick_lab

nick_lab

Hello is there an example or walk though on how to build with this asset pack? I cant find anything about actually using the pack. Looks awesome btw, just don't know how to efficiently build with it.

12. Elzean

Elzean

There is a few house examples in the pack as well as the demo scene, but i don't have a video or tutorial really.
    You can use grid snapping in Unity or the "V" key for vertex snapping to put walls together.

I have 2 video of scene I made with another pack from the store (so not modular fantasy town) but the way I build the scenes is exactly the same:

Hope this help!

13. carmofin

carmofin

Hi! Why are there so many objects with missing materials? Please advise.

14. Elzean

Elzean

Hey, you are the first one reporting a problem, i can't help you much with no information.
    What version of unity do you use ?
    Did you important in a blank project to verify ?
    What do you see exactly ?
    Any errors ?

15. Namel355

Namel355

Hi, this may have already been asked before but, I purchased the pack and was planning to use it in URP but it's not functioning. Converting all the materials dosen't work and I'm not sure what to do... Any ideas?

16. Elzean

Elzean

Hey,

I tested a bit, sorry i never used URP but this seems to work.
    So first i converted all material using the tool in "Edit > Render Pipeline > Universal Render Pipeline"

Some materials don't convert like Atlas_Wood here:
    upload_2021-3-14_11-43-10.png

Just select the material:
    upload_2021-3-14_11-44-16.png

change the shader in the dropdown on top to "universal render>Lit":
    upload_2021-3-14_11-44-45.png

As you can see there is some missing texture that are lost in the process, you just need to drag the texture that have the same name as the material in their coresponding slots:
    upload_2021-3-14_11-49-3.png

(too much pics i continue in next post)

Attached Files:

17. Elzean

Elzean

There is 2 version of each texture, this is because I have 2k and 4k version in the project for convenience:
    View attachment 814191
    upload_2021-3-14_11-51-12.png
    upload_2021-3-14_11-51-21.png

Once its done for all textures you should see the material shows up:
    upload_2021-3-14_11-53-35.png
    upload_2021-3-14_11-53-22.png

On an additional note, I follow the PBR method from unity for those textures so there is no fancy texture packing or shader stuff, you can use all standard Unity shaders and use the appropriate texture from the package :)

Hope this fixe your issue

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  18. Elzean

Elzean

IMPORTANT

Finally i notice some missing prefabs in demo scenes:
    upload_2021-3-14_11-56-21.png

Those are tools that i use when testing but there were not suppose to be in the final product that why they are "missing", you can delete them without worries (and its only for demo scene, doesn't affect anything about model or texture of the package)

Sorry!

19. Namel355

Namel355

Wow! Thank you so much for the response and very detailed walkthrough. I'll let you know how it goes...

Elzean likes this.
  20. Namel355

Namel355

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much for your help

Elzean likes this.