Search Unity

3D [RELEASED] Modular dungeon pack Catacombs - Development Thread v2

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by florianalexandru05, Apr 17, 2016.

1. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks! I recommend you also download all the free updates I added on the thread! I'll be releasing the rocks and the rest of the promised updates when I finish my bride.
    Since you are a buyer now, you can ask for the updates beforehand.

2. magique

magique

Awesome. Thanks.

3. magique

magique

I'm just starting to try this out and I'm seeing some issues. In the CATAScene_Level1 scene there are some texture issues outside the cave. Here is one example:

upload_2017-5-3_6-56-1.png

Second, I wanted to test out CATAScene_Level2 with baked lighting and occlusion culling, but when I went to bake Occlusion data, it complains that there are no renderers that are marked as static. So all of your static geometry is marked dynamic for some reason. I need to go through and mark everything static, which is tedious.

I'll let you know if I find other issues as I continue to work with it.

[EDIT]
    I forgot to download the free updates so I apologize if any of these issues are already resolved. I'll download now and give it another try.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Oh I deeply apologize about that part, level one was made some time ago to test how the assets would have looked like with custom lightpmas, bad idea since you can bake gi inside of unity but I decided to put it in anyway, as example.
    I didn't make anything as static simply because I had some issues with my computer at the time so I had to finish the pak on a lower end one. I put the level in containers such as Block A, Block B, etc, set those as static and bake! Again both levels serve as examples in this case. There's a update for specular textures, I recommend you download that, it's the only update I made a fix for. You will notice that all the prefabs will look alright in default lighting afterwards. Just replace the textures!

Thank you, if you have any more issues please tell me!

5. magique

magique

Yep, I did that. I also checked the prefabs and they are not marked as static so you will want to update that for future revisions.

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'll see what I can do about that, I'll do it before I make the final update, I didn't make the final update on pack yet. I'll put all the updates I made on the forum and fix bugs in the final product when I'm done. Yeah, I'll bake the GI to :)

I sent you something just now, hope it's going to be useful, the pack is lacking a few more rocks. Hmm, I'll look in that small issue in level one, maybe I overlooked it. Could be a blender issue, I model with Blender. Besides that I'm sure the modular models don't have other issues.

This is a bit abrupt but regarding the Unity materials, there might be a misalignment on the standard shader between parallax and AO. The standard parallax shader is just bad, at least with Unity version 5.4.4 I use and looks weirdw with AO, so I recommend people to use better shaders or remove parallax or AO if it's the case. I noticed this issue lately as I was trying out GI. Overall, I included all the maps for everyone to use as they please.

7. magique

magique

When are you expecting to release the updated pack to the asset store? I'm definitely going to use this, but I'd rather wait for the official update rather than trying to upgrade in pieces as you make changes.

8. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I am hoping I can finish the update sometime this month.
    Since people asked me about a certain environment pack, https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/rocky-hills-free-environment-pack.389410/ I worked on it a bit and am trying to upload it today or tomorrow, since I finished it. Afterwards I am getting back to the update, all I need to do is texture this new parts:

...and make a high quality torch and it's done. I will try to be as fast as I can on this, sometime this month, I don't think the bridge is too much of a big deal to texture.
    ---

On another note, one of my friends used my rocks to test his substance mud.

S4G4N likes this.
  9. magique

magique

Thanks for the update. I'll focus on other parts of the game while I await the update.

10. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update Torch!

Zimnel and magique like this.
  11. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Started working on the final update for the catacombs pack!

Zimnel, moco2k and magique like this.
  12. magique

magique

What's the ETA on the updated pack?

13. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Yeah, I'm still working... All that's left to texture is, a small staircase and I'm done with the last update, of course I need to still make the albedo maps for the bakes.
    Let me see, I estimate I can finish this final update in a week maybe. I'm sure it's gonna get done this month but the problem is that, it's gonna take longer for it to be released. Let's say I finish in 5 days and I submit it on the 6'th, The approval process usually takes 2 weeks for me to wait, sometimes more or less but I hope less since this is just a update. I'm still waiting for my free pack to be approved to...
    ---

Made this tile for the top part of the bridge but it ended up being to naturally, more for outdoor

So I made a man made version

Zimnel likes this.
  14. magique

magique

Looking good. Thanks for the update.

15. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Updates on texturing progress, going well. The update will include a couple of tiles, if it was lacking more of thembefore. I used them to texture the top side of the bridge updates.

I am having a problem with the normals of my staircase meshes in Unity. It works in other 3D applications but in Unity it's just messed up. I figured out why that happens and did happen before I submitted v1 of the pack but this time I can't seem to be able to fix it. I'll just let this one for last.

I'm almost done with the texturing of the updates and bridge, will finish soon.

16. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I finally finished texturing the updates but I don't have anything to show right now. Will be back with images tomorrow.
    Submission date soon!

moco2k likes this.
  17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Some last screenshots before submission. Everything is done and textures, besides the normal map problems I am having lately, If I can't fix it might just have to use hard edges and hope for the best, It's setting me back a little.
    I am officially closing the updates and calling it a day with this pack!

This side of the bridge texture size is fairly small, made out of pieces and meant to be modular, it's not really supposed to be seen close up but it still looks pretty good. You will see what I meant when you download the final finished pack ;)

My style got better but I kinda keeps everything in a similar style somehow. Please enjoy the final release that is to come!

Zimnel likes this.
  18. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Here's some extra pictures while I fix stuff...
    ...underneath the bridge

So I fixed this problem I had with normals. It was something to do with unity and the way meshes are baked. So, whatever fixes I make to the normal maps should only work for unity. Funny, it doesn't look right elsewhere. If you experience any problems trying the models out in other game engines/software, please contact me!

The only thing I still didn't get to fix is the staircase, it's causing me a huge drawback but I'll just set everything up and leave that for tomorrow, if I can fix it. I hope I could find a alternative at least.

Submission date in about 2 days, if no more drawbacks!

19. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Everything fixed, just managing my assets now and getting them ready for submission. I am doing final quality controls; I will check and recheck if I have to. I'll probably summaries everything before submission. I honestly don't want to rush this now that I'm done.

more updates:

20. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

So there was a power outage in my town yesterday for most of the day but the good news is that I'm uploading the pack right now. I'm gonna summarise everything and give you more info when I will mention I sent it for approval. I was also fixing the platform texture a little bit but my computer can't seem to take the summer heat and got a little wonky. Hope I can get that in there somehow.

Here's what we got so far.(about 220 prefabs)

moco2k and magique like this.
  21. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I just sent the Update for submission, now all I need to do is wait.

Price unchanged

Finally summary:

• Roughly 220 prefabs
    • 180 prefabs + 44 update prefabs
    • 2K and up to 4k texture atlases
    High quality torch
    • 5 new realistic tile textures
    • 4k Pillars and platform
    • Broken versions of the pillars
    • New modular bridge assets
    • More rock models
    • Included a few albedo map for a more realistic workflow
    • Fixed glossiness issues. Specular material library with new specular textures and roughness maps

Unfortunately I didn't got to fix the platform, it's gonna have some problems looking totally seamless because of the normal map but I might provide a diffuse texture fix on the forum sometime this month. I will take a break from making assets and mind my health for awhile but if you have any sort of issues please talk to me about it! There's also my computer problem that I need to fix.

S4G4N and magique like this.
  22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

23. magique

magique

I started using the catacombs this morning and I noticed one thing that was very odd. In the Level1 demo there is one prefab for some rock debris on the ground and in the scene some of the rocks are by the cave entrance and some of the rocks are in the crypt room at the bottom of the stairs. But it's one complete mesh. So, it's like it was designed specifically for this multi-level scene and can't really be used as a modular piece. Fortunately, I have the Mesh Editor asset and can separate them out and make 2 prefabs out of it, but you might want to update that at some point. I'm not sure if you have other prefabs like this, but it could be problematic. Or am I missing something?

24. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Level 1 isn't made to be used as a modular scene only level 2 is!
    I copy pasted this from the description:
    One custom mesh example level with baked lightmaps (level1)
    (Experimental level with pre-baked lightmaps. Made for artistic experimentation and exhibition only, It's recommended you use Unity5 GI! Both Levels are meant to showcase modularity of the dungeon assets)
    One modular example level with real time lighting (level2)

Didn't really realize you are using level 1 that much. Like I mentioned before, level one isn't actually part of the modular assets. It's a custom mesh I made as example only, it's not supposed to be divided in parts. You have all the prefabs you need in the prefab folders. Use those to make your level! Level 2 is made of those prefabs. All the prefabs in the pack are modular, besides the level 1 example scene.

25. magique

magique

No problem. I didn't realize this. I was going to use Level1 as a base for my level, but I'll just use the modular pieces and start over.

[EDIT]
    Actually, I think I use Level 2 as a base and just delete what I don't need and add/rearrange other areas to suit my needs.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  26. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

magique likes this.
  27. magique

magique

Looks good. My game is also using the pack. We are targeting end of year release date.

28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

That's great! Can't wait to see some progress! :) Or maybe the release when it's going to be out. Would actually expect some screenshots.

29. magique

magique

Probably a month or so before I'll be ready with screenshots.

30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

This pack might be done but I'm still sowing off stuff :)
    I'm improving in pbr and rendering lately. Now the lighting is evenly spread in this scene but the only thing I need to get rid of is the excess amount of AO. Nowadays I use very little AO in the standard shader. Image still looks kinda trippy because of the AO on the bricks and rocks.

... and some custom sky tests:

31. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just playing with post processing and this pack again this morning. Why did I not use PP to render this when I made it?? It's still in gama rendering but the difference is huge!

and baked GI...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    moco2k likes this.
  32. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

33. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Updated the screenshots a bit

magique likes this.
  34. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  35. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

36. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just export part of my Unity "scene" right to sketchfab by using a unity script on the store wich is pretty cool!

37. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

38. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Honestly, I haven't got back to this pack in a while, I just finished my nature but I was planning to run this one for a update this year, perhaps in the next following months. Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately I don't think I set it up like that. The levels are made using prefabs and I made them in big sections but I'll keep this in mind when I'll make the update. For now it's what you see, simple prefabs.

39. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

ok thanks! If it were to work with DunGen I would buy it!

40. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hmm really which asset comes with premade rooms for Dungen? I dont know any. Normally no dungeon assets come with full room prefabs (one room = one Prefab) so you can use them as Dungen Prefab out of the Box. I also own Dungen and for example 3dforge does also not come with room prefabs for it.
    You always have to design your room template using different prefabs and save it as one Prefab by yourself.

Sure would be cool to have somethin like that, but as I see it will always be your Job to create Dungen template prefabs.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    magique and florianalexandru05 like this.
  41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

So I decided to give this pack a new chance at life. Years have past and I have learned a lot since then. It has gone out of date and out of service. It served me well so I'll be remaking it from the ground up. I'll try to make it match with my current new dungeon https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/dungeons/dwarven-expedition-pack-154571.

First I'll remake the materials, then rework the meshes. I got some really interesting shapes while working on my stone in designer. I have a good use for them!

CATA_SC_01.jpg CATA_SC_02.jpg CATA_SC_03.jpg CATA_SC_04.jpg

Zimnel, magique and SickaGames1 like this.
  42. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I guess these are fine for the base stones.

CATA_SC_05.jpg CATA_SC_06.jpg CATA_SC_07.jpg

Zimnel likes this.
  43. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

How long did it take you to make those? They look really good

44. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

45. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

And now here's the weird cave stone in use on a displaced mesh!

3.jpg

Attached Files:

Zimnel likes this.
  46. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

And some pretty neon lights! (All rendered in unity)

x1.jpg
    screen_3840x1818_2019-11-04_20-14-42.jpg

Zimnel likes this.
  47. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

Just picked up this pack. After seeing the quality of the expedition pack this was a no brainer. Nice job.

48. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Hey thanks a lot, I'm very flattered you did so. It's pretty old by now I hope it's not too disappointing, in any case you will benefit from the updated version when it will be on the store. Thanks again!

49. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Time for another sexy update! So I was playing around with real-time diffuse lighting and tessellation.

Tessellation_01.jpg Tessellation_02.jpg Tessellation_03.jpg Tessellation_04.jpg

Zimnel, Paul-Swanson and SickaGames1 like this.
  50. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05