Search Unity

[Released] Modular Building System (Realtime/InGame building system)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ModularTech3D, May 12, 2015.

1. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

No worries!

2. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hey, did you manage to get this sorted?

RealAspireGames likes this.
  3. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Still working out bugs. It seems if I put the RPC call for example in the ItemFoundation script. The RPC gets removed and users joining later will still not see the foundation.
    I am currently using UFPS multiplayer asset. So I am wondering if something in UFPS is causing this problem.

4. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

The UFPS Multiplayer asset is in beta and has issues. I would submit a support ticket and post on the forums.

EDIT: I did not complete a support ticket, my bad.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  5. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hey I was looking into this a bit more and read that it's not a good idea to use lots of RPCs, if there is too many objects to spawn when a player connects it can actually make them time out especially if they are on a slowish connection.

I've emailed you back and once the update is released (very very close) i will start a new project and get the system working with ufps + photon.

julianr and RealAspireGames like this.
  6. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it. :D

7. julianr

julianr

Im waiting for your update :) In need of the prefabs.

8. Lando9000

Lando9000

I bought this asset but its pretty buggy, example scenes don't work very well and I'm struggling to get it to work in my own scene. Is this asset still being supported I see it hasn't been updated in a few months? Are there any instructions to get it to work in your own scene? Also I saw you mention a prefab manager in a previous post but it doesn't seem to exist in the project?

9. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hi you need to setup the layers and tags etc you can find a link to the setup guide in the read me file. The update is coming very soon which will include the prefab manager, you can also auto setup the layers and tags when i release the update so it's extremely easy to setup.

I was meaning to release the update sooner but i have had to rewrite how some of the placement scripts worked. The code is now fully commented and there now is full documentation which will be coming with next update as well.

julianr likes this.
  10. Lando9000

Lando9000

Thanks for the reply, i did setup the layers before I wrote my previous post, but it didn't work correctly and there was no terrain in my unity package. Look forward to the update as I know this has huge potential.

11. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Ah ok, well some others had similar problems and managed to get them solved. Did you tweak the layer matrix in physics settings?

All modules that needed to be altered are now done so i just need to adjust the prefab manager and then i will release the update! :)

Finally, the foundation and ceiling placement is working much better now and as a placement mesh gets close to a building it now snaps to that building. The buildings have a bounding box which automatically adjusts when placing more modules into the building as well. This can be used for detecting if a player is inside a building and putting the building into sleep mode when the player isn't near it or changing ambient sound track etc.

I expect to have finished tweaking the prefab manager within the next few days.

Will post back once i have more updates.

Peace!

errandfox and julianr like this.
  12. rdbarton

rdbarton

Hello,
    I also am having difficulty in placing the foundation. The foundation shows up on the Terrain
    but is always red in color so it will not place. I am using Unity 5.3.1.

Is there a step by step tutorial on how to get it to work using terrain?

Thanks.

13. rdbarton

rdbarton

Ok I figured out the placement problem by placing the Terrain in an empty Game Object which has to be named "Building(Clone)" else lots of errors....
    Next issue is that the walls will only place in one axis... Is there a way to rotate the walls, doorways and windows before placement?

14. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hi the latest version solves a lot of these issues but regarding the terrain. Did you setup the physics collision matrix as per the wikia page? That may be why it wont place but you shouldn't need it to be a child of a building object, you just need to make sure that you set the building.prefab in the foundation script inspector so when you place a foundation on a terrain it creates the building object and parents the foundation to it. If it does't get parented to a building that's when it throws errors but this is no longer an issue in the update as i changed it.

You should be able to rotate walls using the mouse wheel but if that's not working then make sure in the inspector you have set it to use mouse rotation or keys and set the rotation increment to 90 degrees.

The terrain should just have the tag Terrain and layer to terrain also. In the inspectors for the foundation set the layer mask to terrain and building structure.

Let me know if that helps and i can help more.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  15. rdbarton

rdbarton

Thanks for the quick reply!
    The mouse wheel does in fact work... I must have missed that instruction.
    I will try the terrain tips you specified tomorrow.
    Thanks again.

ModularTech3D likes this.
  16. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

No worries, let me know how you get on.

17. Amirbaa

Amirbaa

18. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hi when i release the new version there is a Module Manager that will kinda make that tutorial obsolete so it might not get created as you can setup everything from the manager very quickly.

Amirbaa likes this.
  19. Amirbaa

Amirbaa

Any news when the update will be ready ? And check inbox haha :)

20. errandfox

errandfox

Hey mate any idea when the update will be released?

21. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Very very soon, just about to upload it for review and will be making tutorial videos whilst waiting for the review process but i can send to you before that if you are in a rush, will be updating the thread very soon and will keep you guys updated through this week.

22. Amirbaa

Amirbaa

Looking forward to it !

23. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Update uploaded, just waiting for review process.

errandfox, llJIMBOBll and julianr like this.
  24. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi I updated my review, I've been using the new version for a few days now and within 20 mins I got it working with RFPS. If you have RFPS you can easily make a Integration and advertise as such :D

Just wanna say Thank you Man!!! Amazing Work
    Jimbob

"With the New Update comes with a inventory and hotbar feature, also if you want to use your own inventory you can too.
    The New system of importing your own models is amazing and a massive time saver. I got this working with RFPS within 20 mins, I only had to change a few lines of code, 1 to pause the camera and show cursor, just make it find smooth mouse look and disable it. Then for the player, make it find FPSPlayer and use the gameobject its attached to, or when you spawn items it will think the lean collider is the player and nothing will line up properly.

This is by far the best Building Solution for unity, I have tryed them all. It was definatly worth the wait and if you have bought this in the past, I would reccomend re-importing and trying. Even without Documentation I was able to make this work in an excisting project with RFPS.

It would be amazing for a save feature, but I have been using a Free save system. The only things you need to attach a prefab save script to is, the Building Prefab and on each Building Module Prefab. (foundation, pillar etc...)

Thank you again :D"

edit! I just tested with EasySave 2 New autoSave feature, all you need to do is add the Building prefab to autosave, click the save icon next to it, and BOOM Auto saves your buildings :D

I can removed this free save system now :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  25. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

I have to be honest, I did update the package and am kind of regretting it. Still a great asset however by updating the package I am unable to place any objects such as foundations, walls, pillars etc. I am using UFPS multiplayer. Is there anyway to revert back to the old version? I had everything working properly on that version, synced across the network etc.

26. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

I was wondering about the physics. In the last version it had physics it you delete a support the building would fall. Is it still like this or has it been removed just wondering unless I've missed it. Thanx

27. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

This is probably because your added network code was overwritten, however, in the new version of the scripts you can add it much easier now as the placement code is now a single function so just go through the scripts and add ur network code again (should be faster than last time since u just need to put it inside a single function. Look in the Place() function and replace the instantiation code again.

Are you using version controll?

28. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hi yeah this has been disabled for the moment, the reason for this is that i am adding a more indepth (optional) stability system. Each part of the building will have a stability value. This will allow buildings to collapse if they should not have enough stability, for instance, some support pillars are destroyed on the first floor. I'm also going to be improving how building modules are placed within the building hierarchy to allow all floors above a certain level to be hidden or faded out or exploded etc.

RealAspireGames and llJIMBOBll like this.
  29. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Alright so I have resolved my previous issue. Now the only problem I am having is the building placement prefab. I have checked all of my layers and things should be working. However when I try and place a foundation on the terrain it is always showing it is blocked, so I am unable to place.

30. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Mmmm, when placing if u can press escape and click on something other than the game window, go into the scene view and select the placement module, have a look at the placeable script inspector and see if it's intersecting with anything, also check to make sure it's contacting the terrain. Screen shot it or just let me know what it says.

31. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Thought i'd share a couple of links that help getting up to speed with 1.1

Here is a link to some information regarding the new Module Manager.
    Here is a link with a guide to setting up meshes for use with MBS.

RealAspireGames likes this.
  32. errandfox

errandfox

Nice update mate, nice cleaned up documented code! much more mature asset now, appreciate it.

33. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

I'm thinking about changing the function of pillars slightly, i know that the pillar checks can be turned off but i was thinking about making walls freely placeable and using the pillars as structural supports which give more stability to ceilings and walls they are placed near.

I'm also thinking about having columns placed at the corners where two walls meet. Could do a similar thing for foundations aswell as having a skirt type modular placed around the foundations since the pillars over hang the foundations a bit. I can put together a 3d example image to show what i mean as that may not make much sense ;)

Let me know your thoughts on this.

I'm also looking at alternatives to raycasting to make server side checks faster/easier.

34. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

I'm going to be making some videos for these guides eventually but for now i will post text and image based guides on.

Here's how to add new building modules via the Module Manager Editor Extension. It also describes how to add the generated prefabs to the item database so they can be equipped via the actionbar.

35. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Here's a few new shots of some updated meshes that are being added soon.

Deleted User and llJIMBOBll like this.
  36. Melekeiah

Melekeiah

this looks very interesting, my question is about scale, and detailing.
    i see the foundations are lrather large. is it possible to change the scale of the system? for smaller secions of wall, etc. say .5 meter sections and building blocks? or perhaps even .25, to allow finer control of the builds.

37. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hi yes you can adjust the grid snap size on any modules you make but having smaller sized modules means more of them so can become less efficient if lots are placed as opposed to larger more space filling volumes, however i will be adding mesh combine eventually, the modules will be combined whilst building so that becomes less of an issue. The current meshes are 8x8x8 but there is also a set of 4x4x4 meshes and also the latest screenshots above with the new set of meshes i'm working on are 3x3x3 which i've nearly UV unwrapped ready for texturing and will be included in the next update coming very soon.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  38. Spared-life

Spared-life

Just bought this asset. I can't get it to work. Tried the example FPS with hud but never got the foundation to place. I imported the ModularBuildingImportSettings and the foundation placed but then the pillars won't place. Get error GameObject has underdefined tag.
    Should I not be able to just open the example scene MBS Single Player FPS + HUD Example and run it?

39. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

If you get a message saying undefined tag that's because you imported the settings after the main asset, Delete the ModularBuildingSystem folder including all it's contents, re import and then all the prefabs will now have their tags set and all should work.

Let me know how you get on, cheers!

P.S. I'm looking at getting away from using tags asap as it's causing to many people issues and unity has no direct way to include them with assets unless you mess about.

Then once i got rid of using tags i'll look at custom physics system so to get away from using raycasts and needing to use layers.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  40. Spared-life

Spared-life

Yes that worked, thanks.

Just in case for anyone else let me run through the steps again.

1. Import package
    2. run ModularBuildingImportSettings
    3. Delete ModularBuildingSystem folder
    4. re-import package

"P.S. I'm looking at getting away from using tags asap as it's causing to many people issues and unity has no direct way to include them with assets unless you mess about."

I try not to use them either. I think I only used one in my block building game until I installed this asset. I use dummy scripts as tags and just have the other scripts run if it detects the dummy script on an object.

GetComponent<Pickuper2> ()

Where Pickuper2 is the dummy script attached to a block. I use dummy scripts for every function like if a cube can be rotated, have physics, change color.....

41. sonnolo

sonnolo

Hello,how to set mouse scroll for select weapons in ufps? i doesnt found this command in ufps input mngr

42. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hi i'm not sure as i haven't used UFPS yet, I am looking into UFPS stuff soon tho, anyone else using UFPS in here?

If you are refering to mouse wheel rotation, next version I'm going to change it from using mouse wheel in FPS mode to using your current rotation and locking the rotation to increments so you pretty much just orientate your self to set the rotation of stuff. This means don't need to use mouse wheel in FPS mode for rotating objects leaving the mouse wheel free for changing between items in your action/hot bar should you need it.

43. RoyS

RoyS

Looks like the last post was in April. When will this kit be updated?

I saw someone else was asking for smaller scale pieces...I would also like half scale.

44. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hi yeah i've been busy re working the system so i can get away from using Layers and unity's physics system so been rewriting the whole system.

The new system has 3x3x3 piece which work much better. They are also now textured with pbr textures which will be going up once i've reworked the system.

For now tho you can scale the existing ones with a 3d modeling package and alter the grid size and module dimensions.

julianr and errandfox like this.
  45. Jaxogon

Jaxogon

Wondering if anyone can help. I just spent several hours and got part of this working. I can now place blocks, pillars, and walls into the sample FPS scene. But I can't place foundation slabs or barrels. The stairs show up but never become green. Thanks!

46. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hi I just replied to your messages, soz for the delay it's been really quiet here.