Search Unity

[Released] Modular Building System (Realtime/InGame building system)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ModularTech3D, May 12, 2015.

1. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

I would love to get some of them to rate it but i don't know who they are unless they post in here or message me direct.

I would be interested to hear the feedback from your friend, even if you don't disclose their ID, i would really be interested to see what they had to say, even if it's mega harsh. If they have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Support is free because i don't have to give it, it's just something that is a good idea to do which i have been doing.

If i was to lower the price what would people be happier with? This is my first asset and i was unsure what price range to go with. I asked for people's opinions in here and i went with $50 based on people saying it wasn't too high.

Well, i need to work so i can get this next update released.

Peace.

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  2. Teila

Teila

I think as a finished product, $50 is not too high. But personally, I am not going to spend $50 on something that seems to be untested. Under $25, I will take a risk, because even if the asset is bad, we can usually tear it apart and use some part of it...or my programmers can. :) But over that price, I won't buy it without good reviews and a forum full of comments...plus very good support.

One thing to remember, you can always charge an upgrade fee later, when the asset is doing well, you have good reviews and it is more complete. And you can always up the price if you add a lot of new stuff to the asset. But for a first asset, I would start low.

BTW, I have watched videos of this product early in development and it seemed more complete then. Instead of just white blocks, you seemed to use actual models, which looks much more finished. You also had land and fences, didn't you? Or am I confusing this with a different developer. :)

I am being totally honest with you and I appreciate that you are asking questions. :)

ModularTech3D and llJIMBOBll like this.
  3. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

omg dude i'm so sorry, yh at first i was like nope it dont work, but today i sat down and properly went thru and done all tags and layers correct and got it to work :D

i wanna say sorry again man, i feel a fool, yh i am a noob at this so im learning, i got it to work with ufps so easy... cant wait to make some prefabs of my own xd

one thing i would say about it, is if we can make the foundation more freeer to place, instead of snapping because some places it places too high against the terrain, unless thats due to the size of the included foundation im not sure, also a door and window if possible and maybe a ramp, or maybe its easy to implement this myself..

i hope u continue with this asset, and i wouldn't change the price, i would try get a few demos scenes or tutorials out and maybe better included prefabs, then i would increase price if u add stuff like inventory or something.. thanx man :D

ModularTech3D likes this.
  4. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hey im trying to make everything half the size but some reason the walls or stairs wint place.

I made all the imports 0.5 left prefabs at 1. Changed the numbers on the placement prefab bit by half. Reset all the colliders. And edited some code changed to half. But for walls there is some code whoch ends in 5f which i first changed to 2.5f and the walls placed halfway between 2 foundations.

Also im not sure if the layers are in correct numbers if you can help. And for the terrain it seems only work if its layer buildingworld unless its because of the layer number.

Sorry one mire thing the preab placement is set to building structure but the prefab it places is set to building world is this correct? Thanx if you can help. By the way it was all working before i started making it half size so probably i got layers ok.

5. julianr

julianr

Asset is good. So don't give up on it.. if anything the comments are to ensure you that we want to see this product succeed and we all believe in it, otherwise I personally wouldn't have invested into it so early. There is nothing like it in the store at the moment so your continued work on it will only make the product stronger. I wouldn't worry too much about the reviews at this stage. I will review it based on what it is at the moment and I can see that it will be 5*s. Plus its saving me a load of development time.

Teila, ModularTech3D and llJIMBOBll like this.
  6. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

So you made the meshes half size by scaling? If you do that it can cause issues, it's best to use a modeling package to make the meshes half size so there is no need to do scaling in unity. When you do this you will have to also adjust the collider dimensions ( this will be automated eventually ).

I recently made a set of meshes which were half size for another user, i can send them to you if you would like, pm me your email.

Yes the layers sound like all is well, if you want me to investigate further a couple of screen shots would really help ;)

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  7. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Thanks, I will be continuing with it of course! Got quite a few ideas to implement as yet so i will keep going.

Thanks for your support. :)

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  8. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

No worries, just glad you got it sorted and thanks for being cool. I will look at ways to automate the setting up of layers and tags etc.

About the height, i will be altering it slightly so it's height is alterable. This will be an option tho because some people will want foundations from seperate buildings to align and for some it wont really matter so i will add an option.

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  9. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

10. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Thank you sir! Working Perfectly with UFPS, and so easy to change size of meshes.. i wanted half size similar to rust and ark size, it was really easy to edit and thanx to author for massive help. :D

I would recommend this Asset to anyone!

11. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Have you gotten this asset to successfully work with multiplayer of UFPS?

12. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

not yet i haven't tryed i do have multiplayer asset tho, i been trying to get this to work with inventory pro but im a noob and have no clue xd, i got inventory to work with ufps

13. julianr

julianr

Inventory pro tutorial or plugin would be most welcome, but first things first :)

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  14. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

hi i keep getting this error message in console
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. ModularBuildingSystem.ItemFoundation.Update () (at Assets/Resources/ModularBuildingSystem/Prefabs/Items/Building/Foundation/ItemFoundation.cs:114)
    and also
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. ModularBuildingSystem.BuildingInfo.Start () (at Assets/Resources/ModularBuildingSystem/Prefabs/Items/Building/BuildingInfo.cs:14)
    any ideas? thanx :D

15. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Looks like it can't find the parent object prefab. Do you have any instances of any building modules in the scene which aren't children of a building object? If they aren't parented to a building they will complain.

If not and all buildings are parented to a building, then make sure the building prefab is selected in the inspector, select the ItemFoundation.prefab and make sure the building prefab is set, if not, drag the building.prefab into the inspector slot.

16. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hey thanx for your reply, i managed to fix it i just re imported it into my project :D thanx again

17. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Does anyone recommend a save system i can use? i been trying for 4 days no luck... please help a noob :D

18. julianr

julianr

19. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

julianr likes this.
  20. julianr

julianr

Should pretty much cover everything you need in saving.

21. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

hey any news on updates? i see the price has changed too. thanx :D

22. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Update coming very soon!

llJIMBOBll and julianr like this.
  23. julianr

julianr

Can't wait for this update. It's one of the last parts of my game that I need to add, then I should be able to publish my first alpha release :)

24. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hey guys just thought I'd give you a shout and let you know I am still alive ;)

Will post some screens up later on but i am very nearly ready to release the next update.

Prop tool is completed finally but i decided to redo the window and door placement system which is now nearly complete,.. again lol. I expect it will be complete in the next day or two then i will update the asset store.

I've been thinking about a lot of new features i will be adding after this update:

Things like a Prefab Management tool so it's easier to add items via a custom unity window. Saves users having to create their own file and folder structures by hand when adding custom/modified items e.g. adding more types of doors etc. You will be able to just add a new item in the menu, name it, select the placement prefab mesh, select world prefab mesh and lastly select the module type (wall, foundation, pillar etc). The manager will take care of creating the prefabs and folder structures so you wont have to.

A Floor Agent that keeps track of the buildings floors and will enable you to do things specific to floors. So for instance you could blow up floor 5 out of a 10 story building but not only thing like destruction.. You will be able to fade out all floors above a certain level allowing you to see inside the building for RTS type games.

Structure Stability. I will calculate a structure stability value for each module based on several factors. The Floor Agent makes this easier. Build too high with not enough support and you can make buildings collapse. This will be able to be turned on and off via the MBS global options menu.

Possibly Building Subsidence. Possibly to be included although not a priority. The idea is to calculate the buildings center of mass. We can then figure out if the building is off balance then we can make the building subside slowly. There will be global options for controlling this, things such as speed of the subsidence and max subsidence levels. This will be able to be toggled also. Areas of the building that subside can cause those structures to loose stability and collapse.

Dedicated Perimeter Wall Tool. For placing large walls and gates around your base/settlement/village or whatever. Walls can be placed and snapped together and the angle can be controlled precisely.

I will post a little later on or tomorrow with a video or some screens at the very least.

Cheers.

25. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

You can now see the two new demo webplayer builds which include FPS and RTS + HUD Examples below:

FPS + HUD Demo Scene Webplayer Build http://tinyurl.com/p6bye4c
    RTS + HUD Demo Scene http://tinyurl.com/o8peb6h

You can now test out the prop, door and window tools.

Time to submit this update to the asset store. I will let you guys know once it's gone live.

edit* Forgot to mention that the code for this system is now much clearer to read and doesn't have any repeated code where it can be helped. It's much easier to understand now i hope and i have commented the code fully now. This should means it's also much easier to modify or add you own custom functions.

I am going to look into documenting the commands and creating a reference. Anyone know of any automation tools for this?

Will update you soon,
    Cheers!

julianr likes this.
  26. julianr

julianr

looks good so far... on the demos, dragging the items from the inventory bar onto the action bar didn't work unless you placed them below the slot. Maybe a Web Player issue. Might be fine on PC build.

27. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Mmm? it worked fine on mine, what browser do you use?. Possibly a mis alignment issue, I'll look into it.

28. julianr

julianr

I normally used Chrome, but as Unity player doesn't work on that now I used IE 11 on Windows 8.1

29. julianr

julianr

also, couldn't get your second link to work for the RTS demo.

30. julianr

julianr

I'll download firefox, see if that sorts it.

31. julianr

julianr

same on firefox. I dragged an item over from the inventory to slot 1, had to make sure it was below the box else it wouldn't slot in.. then dragged a second item over from the inventory to slot 2, but then replaced slot 1, and put what was originally there back into the inventory.

32. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Mmm ok it's working for me on IE and FF, I'll do some digging around on google see if anyone else has the same issue.

33. julianr

julianr

not an issue for me really, others that need it on web player though might need a fix... my game is PC/Mac, it maybe resolution settings. I'll try it on a lower spec, but once its up on the store I'll download it and see if it works ok on PC.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  34. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

fps demo Amazing work dude! thank you soo!!! much cant wait for update :DD

35. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Thanks, glad you like! Code is nearly all commented now, just finishing it off before i submit, i am also now generating a full command reference using Doxygen :) So there will be full documentation of all public member functions and attributes.

errandfox, llJIMBOBll and julianr like this.
  36. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Added a Prefab Manager yesterday, this will save you a great deal of time setting everything up by hand. So far it's in it's basic form but I'm adding more options as i think of them. It's also saving me time developing as i can add more types much faster now. Should have done this from day one. The GUI for it is also a bit ugly but once it's full functional i will start working on custom inspectors for it.

If anyone has any ideas for this system let me know!

llJIMBOBll and julianr like this.
  37. julianr

julianr

Awesome, it will save a ton of time :)

llJIMBOBll and ModularTech3D like this.
  38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Does the system work on the editor too ?

39. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Not currently, the only part that is used with the editor so far is the MBS Manager but I am looking to make this possible so you can test building modules you've added without having to be in game. This will enable in editor building so you can create levels as well. This will also tie in with the building saving/loading, where you can build a building, then save it as an XML file to be reused later on either in game or in editor.

This feature probably wont be in the next update but as soon as it's in i will post on here so keep an eye out ;)

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Cool, would be great to have it in both editor and play mode

llJIMBOBll, julianr and ModularTech3D like this.
  41. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hey just to let you know i was taking a look as to why you may have been having issues with the UI and upon investigating i also noticed some spots on slot 1 and 2 that seems to block me placing items into the slot unless i did it in the area at the top of the slot.

I looked at all the UI canvases etc and non overlapped it so shouldn't really be acting like that, anyway i decided to turn off a lot of the ui elements being raycast hitable the problem stopped. Let me know if this has fixed it for you please.

I also tweaked the code for the dragged item so it now stays above the mouse centered.

julianr likes this.
  42. julianr

julianr

43. julianr

julianr

@ModularTech3D - All ok on the demos now, good job! :) How long before you submit?

In a future update, will the save/load system use XML to load objects into a main gameObject with children underneath?

44. julianr

julianr

Also, I didn't see a delete tool in the examples. If you make a mistake.

45. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Cool glad to hear. Very soon, i was going to update after i tidied and fully commented the code for each building module but then i started adding in the manager. So it pushed it back but it's worth waiting for the manager as it saves so much time generating and adding all the components for you.

This is 90% completed so in the next few days hopefully i can submit. Sorry to put it back as i know you are waiting on the prop tool but trust me it's worth it.

Yea the save/load system will allow you to save and then load a building, this includes all children in the hierarchy including props. There will be some options such as remove all props etc.

I removed the removal tool (no pun intended :) )) as i have changed the structure of the building hierarchy and how things get parented. The next update will include a simple tool to remove modules but after that i will improve it so it works with the floor system and upon removing modules such as pillars, will weaken the building structure and potentially lead to collapses. This will add a nice realism to the system but also prevent things like pillars floating in the air when players remove modules from a building en mass.

julianr likes this.
  46. julianr

julianr

Good stuff, looking good. Once the next version is out I'll do a review. Undecided on whether I will have it stand alone in the game, or integrated with Inventory Pro. How does the inventory work to add items, is it Editor only, or is there a runtime function to populate the inventory (ideally with a save/load) ?

47. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

It's just a basic inventory system, it uses a Item Class and ItemDatabase, you can add items to the item database via an inspector where you can set all the items settings. The item system just references the item prefabs ItemFoundation.prefab etc. But it's easy to integrate into other inventory and item systems.

I need to look more into inventory pro tho but once i do i'm sure i can advise on a way to integrate it easily.

48. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Just have a quick question.
    First off I love the asset it is absolutely amazing, fantastic work on it.
    Will this next update allow a little bit easier multiplayer integration? I am currently using UFPS + Photon Asset, trying to get this asset to work. Everything does instantiate correctly when all players are in the scene it works perfectly. But when another player joins the game at a later time when everyone has built their base already. The new player that just joined can not see the bases that were instantiated. They just see the other players floating in the air.

49. ModularTech3D

ModularTech3D

Hey that sounds like you aren't buffering the instantiated prefab? So i take it you just replaced the regular instantiate with the photon one. What you need to do is, make an RPC, and put the instantiate command in that. Then replace the regular instantiate commands with the RPC function, set it to buffered. Then when others join it will send them the packets and the buildings should appear.

It will be easier with the next update but only because I've tidied up the code a hell of a lot. If you do what i stated above you should get it sorted out.

Let me know if that helps.

Also feel free to PM me with any code etc.

RealAspireGames likes this.
  50. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Thank you so much for the great support first off. I will try the method above and let you know if it works correctly. :D
    Thanks for the fast reply as well.