Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Mesh Pathfinding for Platformer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by lazuardiyaffan, Dec 10, 2020.

1. lazuardiyaffan

lazuardiyaffan

This is a tool I developed when my game studio, Calcatz was still a community, working on a platformer fighting game. The environment was a bit wider than other fighting games. We added some platform grounds on higher places, and put some pickable items like health on random places. You can imagine it just like in Digimon Rumble Arena or Super Smash Bros. When it came to AI, however, I was wondering how a platformer character can chase the player, or run towards an item. When it comes to pathfinding, I was thinking about implementing A*. From what I know back then, A* often implemented in a movement that utilizes grid or navigation mesh. The concept sounds great for 3D games or top-down games since the character can simply walk and traverse through the paths.

In platformer games, however, finding a path is easy. The challenge is more about how the character traverses the path. For example, after finding a path, when the next node destination is on higher ground, how should the character movement be? Should it just jump, or should it need to do a double jump? How long should the character hold the jump? And if the double jump is needed, when is the right timing to do a double jump?

In this case, I think using a grid to construct the waypoints is not a preferable choice, moreover when the game is not in pixel-perfect movement and uses Unity’s physics. Luckily I found this article back then about a game called Awesomenauts, that inspires me of what I should do next, and you might want to read that here as well.

So I created this tool based on that knowledge and also based on what I needed back then.

Mesh Pathfinding for Platformer is an easy to use pathfinding system and tool for Unity. This tool provides mesh graph creation instead of a grid, specially made to create specific waypoints of platformer game character movement. The system itself is very robust, and it will not force you to use a certain defined movement method, but instead, you can implement it on your own movement script!

Features:
    • Mesh waypoints visualization
    • Easy to use mesh waypoints editing tools
    • Platformer movement with pathfinding implementation script examples

I would like to hear what you guys think of this tool that can be improved, fixed, or maybe something new to add.

I’m also very open to even creating other new tools for Unity 3D, and so far I’m in love doing it and eager to see what I can create by modifying and extending Unity Editor. So, for you guys as Unity developers, what do you think you guys need related to Unity tools that maybe I can provide in the future?

You can also send your feedback, questions, and suggestions here.

Thank you!

oscarAbraham likes this.