Search Unity

[RELEASED] Mesh Combine Studio 2 (Boost Performance)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Keaneo

Keaneo

Hi,
    Just purchased MCS and imported to my project (which also uses TC2). Getting compilation errors:

The namespace 'TerrainComposer2' already contains a definition for 'ReadMe' ...Assets\MeshCombineStudio\Scripts\Misc\ReadMe.cs 6

Conflict with Assets\TerrainComposer2\Scripts\Misc\ReadMe.cs? It also complains about:

The namespace 'TerrainComposer2' already contains a definition for 'ReadMeEditor' ...Assets\MeshCombineStudio\Editor\ReadMeEditor.cs

Really need to get this working ASAP. Thanks!

2. eaque

eaque

All the best with D.R.O.N.E:):):) good to hear news and thanks for your very prompt answer by email!

3. Keaneo

Keaneo

Did you get a chance to look at this?

4. MostHated

MostHated

The price says $22.50 there in the first post but the link has a different price.if you can get me a link to the advertised price ill gladly buy it right now. : ) would go good with my terrain composer 2. : p

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. MostHated

MostHated

Also, I wanted to know if / how this would work with World Streamer? You break up your map into a grid essentially and each grid tile becomes its own mini scene that is async loaded and unloaded as you move around the world. I definitely like the idea of this asset, but wonder if it could work because what would happen if say one item is on one tile and another items is on another and they get combined, but then I move far enough away that the scene that one of them is in unloads from the game?

Thanks,

6. magique

magique

I gave this another try today on a new outdoor scene with lots of static props, geometry, and LOD groups and it actually worked really well.This is the first time I had true success with this. I added separate mesh combine studio prefabs to 3 different groupings of objects and pre-baked them. I am seeing about 10-15 fps increase in the scene on the Wii U. That's exactly the kind of improvement that makes this tool worth using and will make my game possible.

7. eaque

eaque

thanks for the feedback!:)

blitzvb likes this.
  8. blitzvb

blitzvb

Hey,

Awesome asset. It works great for me.

My only problem is the 64k vertices limitation despite that I am using unity 2017.3

Any plan to remove that limitation?

one_one likes this.
  9. aler_buffon

aler_buffon

Hi, in future updates will be supported ability to pack texture atlases?

10. Endi24

Endi24

I emailed the dev, wrote here, wrote to the dev personally through this forum, and yet no answer. Where the hell is the damn support?

Mark_01 likes this.
  11. awaisasghar21

awaisasghar21

can we use this asset to reduce tries and vertices count as well?

12. Mark_01

Mark_01

As far as I know, they are seeking crowd funding for their game https://forum.unity.com/threads/d-r-o-n-e-one-of-unitys-most-graphical-games.485689/

While I wish them the best and hope they get the crowd funding and their game does very well for them. But that might mean that support for " some " of the assets they are selling have been can we say, some what lacking.

I should have down loaded the demo , first, but i am not certain they even had a demo when I bought this package, when I did it did not run that well on my main PC. So unfortunately
    instead I just bought this asset , but also on the assumption that there would be updates and support and tutorials on how to get this working the best.

Instead it's been said the main programmer is very busy with their game, that is good, but,
    I was assuming there would be popper tutorials on how to use this, and updates ..

So i wonder if they are using the Same IP in that game as we are getting here.

I am considering asking for a refund, its not really just the money, but the principle. If the crowd funding goes through,
    which I hope it does for them. But that would mean that support for all the products, might be like sporactic.

I tried using this more then a few times with different settings and it was not any better then with out in most
    cases, in some it made it even less fps.

I was hoping this would be developed more and be useful, its been months since I bought this and
    nothing.

But others have got it running and they seem happy, so I really don't know what to do,
    as far as asking for money back, or hope they do some tutorials.

I am inclined to wait, because they are very good at their jobs and know Unity well.
    So I can hope that this gets some tlc too, because I think this would be very good in certain
    situations.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Endi24 likes this.
  13. Endi24

Endi24

I am into the exact same S***ty situation. If I get some info on how to use this, ill let you know what I know. Add me on skype just in case, who knows, the dev might remember they released something that we paid for. EndiHaxhi -my skype

Mark_01 likes this.
  14. castor76

castor76

I am still waiting for the API document. And the ability to supply my own list of game object to be combined, instead of using search options. Where is doc on the API???

15. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

To an extent yes you can. For example I am using a flat ground plane and I tell it to remove any vertices below that when doing the combining process. This is only a very basic example of that particular usage though. You can also manually set vert limits for the combined meshes and LODs.

16. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

I have never used the search options to run this. I just put all of the meshes that I wanted to combine into an empty game object. I have 3 of these for specific reasons and each one has different MC settings applied.

blitzvb, Mark_01 and SirTwistedStorm like this.
  17. skinwalker

skinwalker

When using classes with the same name it's recommended to use a proper namespace. The ReadMe.cs uses TerranComposer namespace and the ReadMe from MCS also uses it so there are compile errors.

I also found another bug using the newest version. When I click combine, it always combines some objects even if they are not parented to the object MCS is using, even if they are not static not active and even if they are deleted from the scene. I dont know why it decides to spawn and combine them, but I have a duplicate of these objects in the scene that should be combined.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  18. malkere

malkere

Where can I buy this? ;p

Hey Nathaniel, I wanted to ask, it looks like it's been talked about a bit, I couldn't find a solid answer though. I already own MCS, I knew it was worth the price, haven't used it yet though and I've reached a situation where it might be well worth the time for me to implement it. My question is would you recommend using this in place of Unity's tree system? I have a lot of SpeedTrees (relatively), say 3,000 in-game on the lower settings. The culling and LOD management seems to cause stutters when rotating the camera around suddenly at times. Do you think MCS controlling the trees in cells as object could do better?

Also... the colliders bound to a gameobject are different so interaction is not affected by this system really at all is it? Say, an ore node for mining, the static mesh can be combined increasing FPS, but the collider and interaction remains untouched yes?

Are animated objects generally a no no? Say a door that opens and closes, or skinned mesh renderers?

Thank you.

19. recon0303

recon0303

I suggest using VS, or InfiniGrass 2 which is coming soon, VS is already out and works the best for Trees, grass, etc...I would never ever use Unity, grass, tree etc....they perform badly and out dated .. /cheers

20. recon0303

recon0303

good luck with getting that price, its a typo.. which was from TC2, I believe, I also think it may of been the price the first week of this asset release...which as YOU can see is no longer the case...its $35 dollars, I don't get why people, try and get things CHEAPER, when these asset take time to make... and they lose 30% off the top as it is.. The asset itself works well.... sadly it is lacking features and yes support, DUE to the developer making a game...and in crowd funding....So he may want to think about hiring some help for support of his assets.. It does hurt others making games.... when they need support.. but the tool does work well for most. Sadly features like Texture atlas, are still not in. Great developer though, he has been around for a long time.

21. recon0303

recon0303

His support used to be top Notch, until he started making a game, sadly it has keep him busy, my suggestion is to EMAIL him again, I have not talked to him in months on Skype as I been super busy with my company and game, and he has. So I cant let him know people REALLY need support. So I 'm sure though he will check this thread in the very near future as well.

22. recon0303

recon0303

No, it does not work like that.

23. MostHated

MostHated

Relax man, I bought it like 2 days after I posted that. I was just joking around. I support many many devs on here. I have even turned down refunds that were offered because something wasn't working and it wasn't their fault, I still wanted to support their work.

AthrunVLokiz likes this.
  24. malkere

malkere

I've been using VS since it's early beta, but ultimately it doesn't work as I need it to for my project. It's very good at what it does, but I need several things that it doesn't yet allow and/or is not designed for, I stopped using it recently. MCS is much more of a 'single-task' package that looks like it would fit into my game just fine in certain parts, buildings for sure. Was just curious of Nathaniel's take on using it with SpeedTrees. I'll probably give it a try anyway if he's busy as it sounds. MehsCombines of course, but man LOD cells as well has got to work way better than thousands of objects trying to judge their positions individually.

25. recon0303

recon0303

I'm relaxed you can't see my emotion my friend, I was just pointing this out. :) and giving you proper information. .incase you didn't know. So not sure why people think someone is upset, when you can't see someone elses emotion. if I typed in caps and starting screaming at you than it would of been another story lol.. and I would of never pointed out what was going on.

26. recon0303

recon0303

Oh ok, what are you looking for? Have you checked into InfiniGrass 1 or the new version which will be out soon?? It does work with Speed Trees last time I checked. But it all depends what you are needing. Have you asked Lennart, or Nasos dev of InfiniGrass, to add these features? Alot of the time both guys will add it, if its not something, that would cause a rewrite. Just a thought. Ya Nath, has been super busy with his new game. D R O N E, and who knows when he will be back full time again... but I'm sure he will check this thread from time to time.

27. malkere

malkere

I've considered InfiniGrass many times yes, never did buy it... Worth the 24$ for trying I'm sure, I just have my hands full for years to come already, it's hard to find time to test tools XD Lennart did make some changes for me that helped out a lot, but I was forced to use sometimes dozens of vegetation systems and that's just not how VS is designed to be used. If I were smarter it'd probably work ;p I'm actually running better fps with basic Unity trees, though my grass quality has gone way down... =[ I'm still hoping to give it another shot when it hooks up with TerraFirma and brings in mesh terrain support. That could be a whole different game...

I really just need lots of terrains with lots of trees batched and LOD'd better than basic Unity (which is about anything, lol). My game is runtime procedural infinite, some people are 160+km deep and play with the settings on 6x6 terrains. The render speed is fine, but turning quickly seems to cause culling hitches. I think the MCS cell approach could work a lot better is why I ask.

28. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Sometimes after combining the mesh on some objects the meshes appear black, this is because normals need to be recalculated. Can I ask a request to add a button to recalculate normals after combining :D

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Renderer[] Mesh;
    3.         public void RebakeNormals()
    4.         {
    5.             if (Mesh.Length == 0)
    6.                 return;
    8.             foreach (Renderer mesh in Mesh) {
    9.                 Mesh meshFilter = mesh.GameObject.GetComponent<MeshFilter> ().sharedMesh;
    10.                 meshFilter.RecalculateNormals ();
    11.             }
    12.         }
    Thankyou Jim :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    MudPuppet likes this.
  29. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

Hi, My colleague bought the plugin last evening, & i have to say its great on static levels... procedural levels not so much..

initially our static levels we are getting tops 96fps in VR & procedural levels avgs around 78-92fps.. (before MCS we are using Simple Mesh Combine with our own culling system)
    after i used MCS, static levels we are getting avg 170 on our heaviest level in VR (7.81m tris) & our heaviest procedural level at 17.2fps (estimated 6.26m) (this is using unity's culling)

for procedural levels we are currently using dungen

is there a way to boost performance? well at least for the procedural side?

Unity 2017.1.0f3

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    malkere likes this.
  30. lolclol

lolclol

Can you add a video tutorial for how to use this asset ?

eaque likes this.
  31. Endi24

Endi24

We've been asking for that for way too long now. He doesn't care at all, and wont reply to emails and the forum.

32. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

the plugin is fairly simple to use, just trial & error, going through the other pages, OP havent updated anything but his kickstarter drone game

33. lolclol

lolclol

Thanks god i didn't bought this package.

34. coverpage

coverpage

I agree it's quite intuitive. The premise for this tool is that you would want to combine meshes that uses same materials in a game to reduce draw call, but you want to do so in a localized manner as you do not want to load all the meshes for a gigantic scene in one view. So this tool look for objects with same materials and combine them together in clusters which cluster size you can choose. You then enable occlusion culling. At least that's how I understand it.

35. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

I use this tool and i would recommend it to anyone, yeah you have to group objects to a parent and then the parent hook into mcs to combine. But I took a city scene with 3000 batches and gave me 30 fps to 300 batches and max fps. Sometimes your mesh goes black this is because the normals need recalculated I made my own editor tool to search and fix meshes after I combine, it would be great to have this part of mcs as an option.

eaque and hopeful like this.
  36. Endi24

Endi24

You got lucky, I got this when it first came out...…...

37. eaque

eaque

I did the same:D!!
    The author responded to an email i sent last month if i remember well...

38. lolclol

lolclol

Thats why i always check for video presentation first and check what's the possibility of using this asset. However i would request the Author to be more active for his asset besides developing games for himself.

39. lolclol

lolclol

How did you managed to work this on mobile ? i have tried mobile and i cant activate on mobile while it says "Press tab key to optimize this scene" ? IS there a magic key hidden for mobile ?

40. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

Just edit the code, that's what I did as well.

Or call that function with a button.

41. Endi24

Endi24

I read reviews that described it as fantastic and such, and the author promised both support in form docs and tutorials. So I went in. If you read the reviews now, and go the latest ones, you see tons of people complaining. Not when I bought it though.

42. lolclol

lolclol

Damn, that's a bit more advanced for me.

43. Michealunity

Michealunity

Hi I'm thinking to buy this asset , but before I need some info, basically I instantiated a lot of object through network, what I need to know is, is possible combine all this object also if all this object don t have a main common parent? Another question... I need in my game sometimes to destroy some of this object...is possible to destroy a single mesh and recombine ?

44. Endi24

Endi24

Keep in mind that there is absolutely no support for this asset from the developer.

lolclol likes this.
  45. lolclol

lolclol

Can you share what script you edited and procedure you followed?

46. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

Find the function that combines the meshes, and call it yourself.

47. lolclol

lolclol

ok thanks for your big help.

lod3 likes this.
  48. eaque

eaque

Just passing by to check some message from the author....:( still nothing!! Unity should really send them a message, they are famous authors on the store but this situation with all the assets from DRONE team are unsupported now is ridiculous!

But the price doesn't change! disapointing!

twobob, Mark_01 and Endi24 like this.
  49. Endi24

Endi24

cant even get a damn refund, haven't used the damn asset at all, since every time I try to, it messes up my project and I don't even know how to use it.

eaque, lolclol, Akshara and 3 others like this.
  50. lod3

lod3

There's GPU Instancer. I've not tried it, but it seems very similar to MCS.