Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Mesh Combine Studio 2 (Boost Performance)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Oct 24, 2017.

1. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

Same, I can't get good lightmaps with combined objects.

I think the upcoming update will copy the lightmaps from the original objects, no idea how exactly.

2. eagle555

eagle555

Lightmapping has to be rebaked for the combined meshes. Unfortunately copying is not possible with Unity5 and up, it used to be possible with Unity4. It's explained in this post by Ben an Unity dev:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/imp...garding-mesh-uv-channels.370746/#post-2402508

I'm making the update ready for exporting. I'll post it within a few hours :)

Nathaniel

3. OreoSplitter

OreoSplitter

I'm curious why isn't the unity asset store seeing any of these updates? It shows 1.0 or is it me? I'd rather get updates that way then vs checking a forum thread.

4. eagle555

eagle555

Updating the Asset Store takes a few days before it's accepted. So whenever there's has a small bug, we have to wait a few days until it's corrected. That's why I first post on the forum and when everything is fine I submit it to the Asset Store.

Nathaniel

5. eagle555

eagle555

Hello everyone,

Here's the update 1.1 as promised. I'm still working on the runtime API and a way to make it possible to combine dynamic mesh parts that need to move individually at once (by attaching parent part components). Once it's ready and works fine for everyone, I will submit it to the Asset Store and then make tutorial videos.

Lods are completely detected automatically now and they are nicely grouped as child GameObject of the MeshCombineStudio GameObject. There's a LODGroup component on each to modify the switching screen sizes, these settings are stored in the MeshCombineStudio GameObject (MeshCombiner script).

upload_2017-11-13_19-40-41.png

Features:
    • Compatible all the way down to Unity 5.1 to the Unity 2017.3 beta.
    • Super fast, efficient and low memory consumption multi-threaded mesh combine job system (with exposed API for using at runtime).
      With settings like Combine meshes at once, or x amount per frame, using x amount of threads, etc. Will be able to add/remove objects and re-combine for level editors, etc.
    • Completely automatic LOD detection and combining.
    • Completely automatic handling for the Unity Editor of original GameObjects, MeshRenderers and LOD groups get disabled/enabled automatically.
    • No increase in vertex count.
    • Support for negative scaling.
    • Support for lightmapping in Unity Editor.
    • Save meshes for making prefabs.
    • Combining for dynamic objects without any cells.
    • Cell offset.
    • Runtime console to change combine settings and re-combine.
    • Max bounds search option to exclude big objects.
    • Drawing of mesh bounds.
    upload_2017-11-13_19-33-42.png

EDIT: I replaced it with update 1.12c, which has some bug fixes and added lightmap scale and ability to set the Layer for the combined GameObjects.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  6. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hi
    i have this error
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MeshCombineStudio.MeshCombiner.AddLodGroups (UnityEngine.LODGroup[] lodGroups) (at Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs:357)
    MeshCombineStudio.MeshCombiner.AddObjects () (at Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs:320)
    MeshCombineStudio.MeshCombiner.AddToOctree () (at Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs:196)
    MeshCombineStudio.MeshCombiner.CombineLods () (at Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs:260)
    MeshCombineStudio.MeshCombiner.StartRuntime () (at Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs:159)
    MeshCombineStudio.MeshCombiner.Start () (at Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs:124)

7. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for telling I have fixed this error and replaced the update file with version 1.11 in the post above.

Nathaniel

8. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Just bought the asset and i'm impressed. I like that its mostly automated and should help me speed up development a lot. I've been combining and creating texture atlases manually for my game. I'm making a VR title so, I need a much performance as possible.

A few questions.

1. Is there a performance penalty for combining at runtime? I don't mean the combining part (as it should), I mean after its complete.

2. I already have some maps that were heavily optimized by manually reducing vertex count on each mesh, combining materials into texture atlases and baking piles of meshes together. I tried MCS on one of these scenes...and it stayed around the same in performance....which is fine. My question is this, I want to use MCS going forward in new scenes...but I have to leave Static batching on for the old ones. If I wrote a script to disable Static batching on game objects in the new scenes which are loaded Additively...would this work? (I think it should).

3. Could you explain the cell size does? I checked it from 32 down to 10...to try and get smaller clusters of game objects combined...is that what its for?

4. Just a tip a simple video showing how to use it would go a long way, I didn't know that the prefab had to be positioned around the items to be combined since you have to give it a parent game object.

5. Unitys Static Batching, doesn't always work on obvious candidates. Does MCS bake everything that is listed in the search?

6. Do you know who much better this is than static batching? I know it highly dependant on the scene...just curious numbers wise.

7. Great product...kudos!

9. eagle555

eagle555

There's an update you can download which I posted above ;)

1). No actually when not using lightmapping for the combined meshes it's the way to go, as Scene files won't increase in size.
    2). Preferably static batching needs to be disabled in the player settings. As Unity's static batching will combine the meshes before MCS can do it. The other way is to disable the 'Batching Static' on the GameObject you want to have combined by MCS.
    3). Cell based combining only combines meshes that are inside a cell. When just combining randomly this will break culling. You can try the included example Scene to see the performance difference between Unity batching and MCS cell based combining (for true difference has to be tested in a build).
    4). It doesn't need to be in the update 1.11 I posted above. Yes I will make a video today, I just wanted to do it together with the new update and then submitting changes to the Asset Store, as it takes a few days before it gets approved.
    5). Yes and only the meshes from the objects are included that pass the search filter options, best way is to use a vertex input limit of around 3000-5000, as batching more heavy meshes doesn't help much in increases performance and it will add op to memory usage. So this option saves memory compared to Unity's static batching.
    6). You can test the example Scene (in a build) and this demo, I will release more demo's with using MCS with more Assets:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0y0zgnbolbytpbt/MeshCombineStudioTest.rar?dl=0
    So far I've reached a maximum of a 50x more fps increase vs Unity's static batching. But it is heavily Scene dependent. The smaller the meshes are in vertex size and mesh bounds, the more benefit MCS gives over Unity's static batching.
    7). Thanks, I'm glad you like it :)

Nathaniel

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  10. skinwalker

skinwalker

Using the newest version when I combine I get this message and none of the combined objects appear. There are 2 LOD groups that appear under MCS

11. eagle555

eagle555

If you delete the MeshCombineStudio from the Hierarchy and use the prefab it should be fine. As the old version of the MCS gameobject (before the update) doesn't contain the reference. I will make that it sets it automatically, when updating.

Nathaniel

12. skinwalker

skinwalker

Thanks, I had to delete the whole asset and reimport again, because I moved it inside Plugins. Can you explain how to use that console to monitor which cell size gives best results?

13. eagle555

eagle555

Just add the 'Console' script to a GameObject can be the MeshCombineStudio one. Then in runtime you can use 'F1' key to show/hide it, and if you type 'cell size 12' it changes the cell size to 12. Best is to test in a build, also you can attach the new FPSCounter to the camera to see the FPS.

Nathaniel

14. skinwalker

skinwalker

Okay, also one more thing the size of the lights increased from 42mbs to 140. I was using the lightmap fix you sent me before, I was testing with a cell size 256 now im currently with 32 (if it makes any difference)

15. eagle555

eagle555

I have a new update that has the option to change the lightmap scale, so you can choose the size. Default lightmap scale is 1, so if you put it to 0.33, then if this is linear it would be around 42 mb. Also it has some bug fixes that were reported to me by email.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

16. angelotokyo

angelotokyo

Hello

I just purchased the asset

when i try to build my project i got this error in the console :

Destroying assets is not permitted to avoid data loss.
    If you really want to remove an asset use DestroyImmediate (theObject, true);
    UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)
    MeshCombineStudio.GarbageCollectMesh:OnDestroy() (at Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Misc/GarbageCollectMesh.cs:24)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    I use unity 2017.2.f3 on Macosx

i just combined my meshes using the meshcombine studio prefab , no runtime combine !

can you help me ?

Thanks lot !!!

Attached Files:

17. eagle555

eagle555

I wonder why this happens, on my side with Windows it works fine. I attach this script to combined meshes to automatically destroy them if their GameObjects gets deleted as Unity doesn't automatically clean up memory from created meshes. Does this happens with my latest update 1.12c I posted above?

Nathaniel

18. angelotokyo

angelotokyo

Thanks for your answer !
    i try to import your last update 1.12c but i got these errors in console :

Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/CombinedLODManager.cs(136,29): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `BaseOctree' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Octree/ObjectOctree.cs(70,29): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `BaseOctree' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Any ideas ?

thank you

Attached Files:

19. angelotokyo

angelotokyo

Nevermind i figured how to import it correctly , with your new update i got no errors and it built ok !

thank you very much !

great work !

20. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I’m getting an error when trying to combine some meshes.

Notes

1 if I try combine all at once, Unity locks up....so I’ve been using the combine per frame.
    2 I need to use light mapping so I am combining in Editor.
    3. I’ve been installing all othe latest patches posted here.

Attached Files:

21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

can you please use another name for the fps counter?
    FPSCounter.cs is the most common name and I have other assets that also use this name and it conflicts. thanks

22. skinwalker

skinwalker

If FPSCounter is bad for your project, then what do you think about CameraController :D Seriously guys that are submitting to the asset store should start using namespaces.

23. peanutgallery

peanutgallery

I just found this asset and it looks amazing! I'm pretty much ready to purchase but I had a question. I tried out the Dungeon Architect demo and the performance improvement was fantastic. However, when MCS was enabled, I started getting a loud whine from my computer tower. Typically that's a fan, probably for the graphics card or something. I haven't tracked it down yet though. I was curious if you had a idea of what kind of strain this is adding to the mix, and how performance is on mobile devices? Sorry if that's a dumb question!

24. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

That's called coil whine.

It's when your GPU draws a lot of frames.

Usually not a problem if you cap your FPS to 60, but coil whine often happens in benchmarks (like in your case) or in loading screens or menus that have an uncapped framerate.

In short: Nothing to worry about.

peanutgallery likes this.
  25. eagle555

eagle555

Like N00MKRAD says this must be coil whine...

As for performance increase on mobile devices is basically the same, but it performance increase depends on your setup. The more smaller meshes are used the more performance MCS gives v.s. Unity's static batching. Also with MCS you can easily reduce the memory that batching adds by using a vertex input limit, a feature that Unity's static batching doesn't have (would have to disable static on each big mesh manually to optimize the memory).

Nathaniel

peanutgallery likes this.
  26. peanutgallery

peanutgallery

@N00MKRAD , you rock. Thanks for that explanation!! That's exactly what's happening. I really appreciate it.

@eagle555 , Thanks for the explanation. I have a Nvidia GTX 970. It sounds like this will work great for me because my project has a lot of little voxel models in it that I'd like to combine if possible. I'd like to do some runtime manipulation of the models on occasion (burning a crate for example, or opening one) so I'm hoping I can recombine pretty quickly at runtime if needed. Thanks for the demo because that totally sold me on how much improvement this tool can add!

EDIT: Purchased! Thanks :D

27. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

@eagle555

Btw, one weird thing.

On my desktop (GTX 1060) the barracks demo gave me a huge perf boost.

However, I tested it on an i5-3470 with Intel HD Graphics and the performance actually got worse by a frame or two.

Any ideas? Doesn't really make sense to me.

28. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

can you add an option to auto disable static mesh tags on the combined objects?
    so if i forget to disable to static batching in the player settings the benefits are still there. or this is not possible because unity batching kicks in before the rest. for the realtime combining option.

29. GreeniPeach

GreeniPeach

Hey,

can anyone help me?

Frame Debug tells me:

Why this draw call can´t be batched with the previous one

Dynamic Batching is turned off in the Player Settings or is disabled temporarily in the current context to avoid z-fighting.

I turned dynamic batching on in the player settings.
    It draws every cell by its own even if they use the same material.

thnaks for your help!

30. eagle555

eagle555

Can you explain in more detail what you did with MCS? You need to disable 'Static' batching, dynamic batching you can leave on.

Nathaniel

31. eagle555

eagle555

Yes Unity's static batching kicks in before MCS can, when BatchingStatic is enabled on a GameObject. What I will do is disabling static batching on the original GameObjects and restore it back if it was set.

Nathaniel

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  32. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thats perfect!

and another question what happens with gpu instancing enabled shaders?

33. eagle555

eagle555

You have to use either GPU instancing or combining, can't use both.

Nathaniel

34. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

so should I disable the instancing tag on the shaders or it will automatically use batching instead of instancing?

35. eagle555

eagle555

There will be only 1 mesh variation of each combined mesh, so it's better to disable instancing on the combined mesh material (is the same material as the source meshes use).

Nathaniel

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  36. passionfruit

passionfruit

Would mesh slicing be useful? Just thinking of the case where you have some large monolithic meshes that will not really occlude etc. Being able to chop it into cells might be handy, although its probably a less common problem...

37. eagle555

eagle555

I've been thinking about this but slicing each triangle (black) that is on the edge (blue) will result in 3 more trianlges (red and blue divide the black trianlge into 3 triangles) and 1 more vertice. This could lead to too much increase in geometry, also GPU's are more efficient with bigger triangles. I have the search option to exclude to combine meshes that exceed the cellsize with a factor of x (use 'Max Bounds Factor'). Default I have it set to 1.5, so if a mesh its bounds are bigger than 1.5x the cellsize MCS won't include it for combining.

Nathaniel
    upload_2017-11-16_15-35-25.png

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  38. Jasper1hu

Jasper1hu

Hi,

I just tested this new version of mesh combine today. It works great in unity editor. Thank you for making this update.

However, when I try to build it on iOS. It gives me the following errors with one warning about MeshExtension.dll.

---------------------------------------------------------------Errors----------------------------------------------------

AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'TestDLLUnity, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
    Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters)
    UnityEditor.MonoAssemblyStripping.ResolveAssemblyReference (IAssemblyResolver resolver, Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference assemblyName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/MonoAssemblyStripping.cs:264)

Error building Player: 2 errors

Build completed with a result of 'Failed'

UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 3 errors
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x00207] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:172
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00050] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:83

---------------------------------------------------------------Warning---------------------------------------------------------------

Assembly 'TestDLLUnity' has non matching file name: 'MeshExtension.dll'. This can cause build issues on some platforms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This happens right after I import the 1.2c version. I am thinking the MeshExtension.dll file causes this.

Please let me know how can I fix this.

Thank you!
    Ran

39. eagle555

eagle555

I have a fix for this here which needs 1.12d to be installed to work. As for Unity hanging on regenerating lightmap uvs, it can actually take a very long time, I introduced the option to copy the uvs instead.

New features:
    * Runtime combining for baked lightmapping, so no need to rebake, this won't combine as much as rebaking as lightmap index of the to combining objects need to be the same. On realtime GI this doesn't work as an additional mesh is used in each MeshRenderer and this mesh is unreadable and can't be accessed.
    * Copying of Lightmap uvs for rebaking, which goes superfast instead of letting Unity regenerate them (this option is also still available).
    * The ability to disable/enable Unity's static and dynamic batching from the MCS inspector.

As for namespace, I use this of course (MeshCombineStudio), but forgot to put it in those 2 scripts, thanks for pointing that out :). Every MCS script uses the namespace now.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  40. eagle555

eagle555

Are you in WebGL build mode? Then 1.3 should fix it, you need to import this on top of 1.12c

Nathaniel

41. Jasper1hu

Jasper1hu

I am building on iOS right now.

42. eagle555

eagle555

Oki I updated the fix for IOS and replaced 1.13 with 1.13b in the post above.
    Probably you need to enable Standalone on the 'Exclude Platforms' in the MeshExtension.dll.

Nathaniel
    upload_2017-11-16_22-2-5.png

43. Jasper1hu

Jasper1hu

I fixed this by changing the file name of "MeshExtension.dll" to "TestDLLUnity.dll".

44. Jasper1hu

Jasper1hu

Found another bug on iOS:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

at MeshCombineStudio.MeshCombineJobManager.ExecuteJobs () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MeshCombineStudio.MeshCombineJobManager.MyUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It runs fine without error on Unity Editor. Is it because I changed the file name of "MeshExtension.dll" to "TestDLLUnity.dll"?

45. damian0

damian0

Hi, getting compile error on xbox one

Assembly 'TestDLLUnity' has non matching file name: 'MeshExtension.dll'. This can cause build issues on some platforms.

followed by

AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'TestDLLUnity, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

(Edit - I have tried adding xbox to excluded platforms. I had to remove MCS from project to build)

Also - there are a few patches floating through forum - do these need to all be applied in order or only the latest one?

Is there somewhere with a complete list where we can get them instead of trawling forum?

cheers

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  46. eagle555

eagle555

That's because Intel HD Graphics GPU are integrated potato GPU's. It has 20.5x lower benchmark compared to your GTX 1060. Probably you need to use lower cell sizes on this kind of GPU.
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+Family
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1060

Nathaniel

47. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

blitzvb likes this.
  48. eagle555

eagle555

With normal GPU's yes, but the intel HD Graphics is some potato on it's own. Still cell based combining should help, but probably you need smaller cells and combine the smallest meshes with a vertex input limit of like 1000. As this GPU is really limited with it's limited amount of cores.

I used to have a Nvidia 8800 GT and cell based combining was definitely helping with this GPU.
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+8800+GT

Nathaniel

N00MKRAD likes this.
  49. eagle555

eagle555

Hi everyone,

I have a new update :)

To get a complete overview I made a release notes page on my website:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/mcs-release-notes/

MCS Update 1.13c

Features:
    • More commands for the Console to change MCS settings at runtime
    • Quality settings V Sync Count in MCS Inspector
    Improvements:
    • Tooltips
    • Setup gradient colors for Fps counter
    Fixes:
    • Fixed all reported bugs (including dll issue for WebGL and IOS)

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

AGregori and blitzvb like this.
  50. blitzvb

blitzvb

By the way, I bought this asset last Friday and it’s working like a charm.

Any plan to split the world into chunk of cells that you only add when needed. It will decrease the memory usage of non visible GameObjects.