Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Mesh Combine Studio 2 (Boost Performance)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Oct 24, 2017.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Good question. As far as I understand, you can use the URP batcher on top of MCS2 combining because URP batcher optimizes how Material changes (SetPass calls) are processed on the CPU and being submitted to the GPU.

2. yeagob

yeagob

Hello, we can not find more than one mesh. We want to combine 2 meshes (a lot more, but first this two), but no matther what option i choose, your system only found one mesh...

What can we do??

upload_2020-12-22_18-46-23.png

3. eagle555

eagle555

Hi, I see you asked the same question on my Discord server. I answered you there...

4. lzardo2012

lzardo2012

Hi, I´m trying and use your asset in my game, but, so far, using it only resulted in a DROP in the frame rate, actually, it´s dropping my FPS in HALF

It´s happening EVEN using the example scenes

I´m using URP, perhaps it does have smowthing to do with it?

Thanks for your attention

5. lzardo2012

lzardo2012

Update

I updated the materials in your examples to URP compatible ones and now your examples work

But My scene is still dropping framerate...

But not all of your scenes, for example:

shadow combining have a MUCH higher frame rate with no combining at all

and Static example also works somewhat better with MCS disabled.

6. eagle555

eagle555

Hi thanks for contacting and reporting this. That is strange. Which Unity version are you using? It could be caused by the Unity Editor. Have you tried testing in a build?

7. lzardo2012

lzardo2012

Hi

No, not in build, I´m using 2019.4.15f1

I tried atlasing the objects but it also did not help improve performance...

and, actually, atlasing the objects actually also impacted negativelly the frame rate, so, perhaps (probably) it´s something wrong on my side.

I´ll make a few more tests

thanks for your help

8. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for testing. Can you test the example Scenes in a build? Are they also slower combined?

9. yeagob

yeagob

Please, we are wating for more than 10 days, can you answer here or by Discord???

I dont want to put a bad comment in your asset, but is not working at all...

10. eagle555

eagle555

Hi, sorry for the delay. The Earth2 project I'm working on went viral. However I'm fully back with support now and try to answer very fast like I used to do. I answered you on Discord.

11. Stardog

Stardog

There's an error in 2.993 when trying to combine with default settings.

Code (csharp):
    1. (MeshCombineStudio) => The `Custom Combined GameObject` is null. Make sure it's assigned in the 'Use Custom Combine GameObject` setting

12. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for reporting. You have the `Use Custom Combine GameObject` enabled:
    upload_2021-1-19_12-29-47.png

Then you need to make sure that is assigned or you need to disable that option.

13. Stardog

Stardog

It happens when it's disabled.

14. FaberVi

FaberVi

Hi, I'm trying to merge about 10,000 trees into a scene with a cell size of 50. The merge is successful, but when I try to start the Unity scene it gives me an error due to the excessive weight of the scene. If I try to save, the scene weighs 8GB and gets corrupted. Where am I doing wrong? The number of trees cannot be reduced.

Serialized file size of 8.28 GB (8892665443 bytes) exceeds maximum. File name: 'Assets/_Scenes/Main.unity'. Serialized files over 4.00 GB (4294967295 bytes) cannot be loaded by the player. Some likely ways to reduce this are utilizing asset bundles, re-balancing asset locations, or limiting their serialized size e.g. limiting the maximum texture sizes.

15. Vaupell

Vaupell

Found a problem with MC2, when i bring it into a project, the project starts reimporting ALL ASSETS in the project.
    I have tested extensively on multiple assets, and MC2 is one of the assets calling a update/reimport when installed.

Also tested by importing other assets before, no reimport, but after MC2 is added everytime i import something it calls this update..

Also when clicking the "Make meshes readable" it then again reimports assets.. :(

Please disable this, it's not good.

upload_2021-4-6_9-41-10.png

16. awesomedata

awesomedata

This is Unity performing the reimport for assets that were altered.

As far as I understand it, MCS only changes the assets for you. I'm not sure if there is a way to make Unity's reimport distinguish between mesh assets (there should be a way, but this is Unity we're talking about here), however the only way an asset can set something on existing assets in newer versions of Unity is by changing the setting and telling Unity that it needs to reimport all assets that were changed (i.e. the assets that have that particular "readable" flag).

There may be more to it since Asset Databases, DOTS, etc., (I'm not as familiar with this as I need to be since DOTS was introduced), but I hope this helps clarify some of the default behavior behind things.

One thing that could (always) help is specifying what version of Unity you're working with.
    I'm not the asset author, but a lot changes between versions, so I know how helpful that can be. Just my two-cents.

17. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for reporting. That's very strange, which Unity version are you using?

18. eagle555

eagle555

Hi, thanks for reporting. That's probably because your trees are heavy meshes and combining them takes a lot of memory. For trees in general it's better to use GPU instancing.

julianr likes this.
  19. awesomedata

awesomedata

It might be nice to give a little insight about when MeshCombineStudio is better versus GPU Instancing, as the use-cases are pretty vague for most people it seems.

i.e. How 'heavy' are we talking before our performance benefits (MCS vs. GPU instancing) outweigh our memory cost?

Clearly this is game-specific, but some guidelines could be pretty useful.

20. Vaupell

Vaupell

Sorry about that, 2020LTS..

21. Venominus

Venominus

mesh combine stays in memory and with each loading of scene takes more and more memory and after several loading application runs out of allcoatable memory. meshcombinestudio.meshobject and meshcombinestudio.cachedgameobject first load 30 mb second load of scene 60 mb etc. Mesh combine isn't dontdestroyonload.

Attached Files:

22. hauwing

hauwing

hello, I used the static LOD group demo scene to replace the chair prefab to my own rock prefab, but it keeps complaining that's Read/Write is disabled. Pressing the red button did not help. But the model has already have the read/write enabled. Any idea? thx.
    upload_2021-4-24_12-40-59.png
    upload_2021-4-24_12-41-5.png

23. TFGCo2

TFGCo2

Hey guys, i dont know if i'm missing something but i cant build the game, the assets seems to work on the scenes but everytime i try to build i got a lot of errtors but all very similar like tghis one Assets\MeshCombineStudio\Editor\CombinedLODManagerEditor.cs(9,45): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Editor' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

24. julianr

julianr

do you have compile errors on any other scripts? As it may not be MeshCombineStudio, it just means it might not be able to compile from that point.

25. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Hi hauwing, are you still having problems with this? What version of unity and what rendering pipeline are you using?

twobob likes this.
  26. hauwing

hauwing

I changed to not to combine in runtime and the problem is resolved (kind of)...

27. Drown

Drown

Great job, developer seems to be MIA again...

Edit : Sorry, did not see that there was a new person maintaining this thread. Great to see this asset being supported :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    JJ-Jabb likes this.
  28. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Hi Drown, I'm here working support... is there something I can help with?

29. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

I haven't been able to reproduce this behavior - if you want to send me an model (FBX or OBJ) that is causing this problem I can take a look

30. SBliznitsov

SBliznitsov

Hello.
    I get the error: "Mesh doesn't have a ModelImporter and is a mesh.asset, it's tricky to make readable."
    I have enabled the Read/Write manually in the model importer but the error remained.
    Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
    I will be grateful for any help!

31. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

We spoke on Discord - we can continue discussing there or here, whichever is more convenient for you

32. SBliznitsov

SBliznitsov

Your answer on Discord helped solve the problem. Thanks for the help!

33. lzardo2012

lzardo2012

Hello

I succesfully combined all the static objects in my game, it solved, at least, the problem I was having with the device overheating...

But, I´m having a hard time to figure out how to combine the dynamic objects (everything else)

I created an empty object named "pools" (using PoolManager to spawn game objects and reuse it)

Created a new MeshCombineStudio and directed it to this empty object and set it to "combine per frame"

I thought it would make a search per frame and combine objects, but it does nothing

If I manually search and combine it does find some other objects, should I do it this way? not sure if it´s feasible...

anyway, what´s the best way to combine objects as they are spawned?

thanks in advance!

34. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Have you looked at the "Dynamic Object Example" scene under Assets/MeshCombineStudio/TestScenes? Take a look at the settings there, that might be a good starting point. If you are still having problems let me know, either here or on Discord at https://discord.gg/HhepjD9

35. lzardo2012

lzardo2012

Hello

Yes, I tried, but I just found the problem...

skinned meshes...

that´s why it wasn´t finding anything...

JJ-Jabb likes this.
  36. dfarjoun

dfarjoun

Hi,
    Any idea why I keep getting scripts errors when trying to install from Package Manager?

I've even already deleted the Library folder and keep getting this install errors:

Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs(253,17): error CS0103: The name 'CreateOverlapColliders' does not exist in the current context

Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs(457,17): error CS0103: The name 'CreateOverlapColliders' does not exist in the current context

Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs(636,13): error CS0103: The name 'RemoveOverlappingTris' does not exist in the current context

Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs(652,21): error CS0103: The name 'CreateOverlapColliders' does not exist in the current context

Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombiner.cs(653,22): error CS0103: The name 'CreateOverlapColliders' does not exist in the current context

Assets/MeshCombineStudio/Scripts/Mesh/MeshCombineJobManager.cs(1261,21): error CS0103: The name 'RemoveOverlappingTris' does not exist in the current context

37. victorkin11

victorkin11

I can't using the namespace of MeshCombineStudio, I know it is about somethingscript compilation order, What can I do to refer meshcombiner?

38. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Looks like a bad import (?) - try deleting the MeshCombinStudio directory and try again

39. gewl

gewl

40. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

I need more information - I'm not seeing any issues using the MeshCombineStudio namespace in either a monobehavior or a custom Editor in an Editor folder.

41. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Yes, MCS works with Digger Pro - for example, here are screenshots before using MCS, both above and below the terrain:
    upload_2021-10-28_10-17-20.png
    upload_2021-10-28_10-18-17.png

and here is after:
    upload_2021-10-28_10-19-8.png
    upload_2021-10-28_10-19-42.png

Attached Files:

42. gewl

gewl

Great, thank you! And that would work as expected if the building were under the terrain itself, but inside a Digger mesh—only the part of the building that's outside the Digger mesh chunks would be culled?

43. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

You will also need the MCS Caves & Overhangs addon to remove intersections with the Digger mesh - for example, here's before
    EDIT: ACTUALLY I don't thing MCS Caves & Overhangs works with Digger - These screenshots are all using Remove Tris Below Surface, I tried with just the Remove Overlapping Tris and the removal was minimal
    upload_2021-10-28_12-47-32.png
    upload_2021-10-28_12-47-55.png

and here's after, with both "Remove Tris Below Surface" and the MCS Caves&Overhangs option "Remove Overlapping Tris"

upload_2021-10-28_12-50-34.png
    upload_2021-10-28_12-51-3.png
    upload_2021-10-28_12-51-34.png

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  44. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

OK a couple more screenshots - these JUST use "Remove Tris Below Surface".

Before:
    upload_2021-10-28_13-4-1.png

After:
    upload_2021-10-28_13-4-20.png

upload_2021-10-28_13-4-40.png
    upload_2021-10-28_13-4-58.png

Your results may vary depending on your meshes and use case, but over all it works pretty well out-of-the-box

45. gewl

gewl

Thanks for the detailed reply! That's helpful, but none of those images quite address the use case I'm talking about, I think—I tried to put some images together to better illustrate:
    mcstest1.PNG

mcstest2.PNG

In these images, the blue plane is a Unity terrain, and the red tunnel is a Digger mesh. There is a rock in the Digger tunnel—the rock is totally beneath the heightmap of the Unity terrain and partially clips into the bottom of the Digger tunnel.

If I were to use "Remove tris beneath surface" on the blue terrain (to clean up all the rocks, buildings, etc. I have in my world that clip into the terrain), would that entire boulder be removed? Or would MCS recognize that the top half of the boulder is 'in the open' and only prune the tris that clip beneath the Digger mesh?

Sorry to be so exacting about this, but using Digger caves beneath terrain are a big part of my workflow, so I just want to be sure!

46. victorkin11

victorkin11

Since I try to edit other asset script to add MCS function, but that asset already have Assembly Definitions and Assembly References, it make that asset script can't reference MCS namespace. I know it isn't normal case, but in case we need to work with difference asset, I better find the solution.

47. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

That doesn't sound like an issue specific to MCS, that sounds like an overall assembly dependency issue.

You could try creating an assembly definition for MCS and then include that in your other asset, but this is going to be an issue with any assembly definition where you want to reference namespaces in Assembly-CSharp - it can't be done that way, you'll need to move the code you want to reference into an assembly and then reference that assembly

48. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Ah, OK I see. Unfortunately that doesn't work so well - it won't correctly remove triangles in that situation.

gewl likes this.
  49. colin_young

colin_young

Will this asset work with/provide benefits with ECS/DOTS and the Hybrid Renderer V2?

Is that even a sensible question to ask? Just so you know the level of experience you are dealing with here...

50. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

At this point MCS does not work out-of-the-box with ECS/DOTS. However I'm hoping to have some proof-of-concept work done soon, so it's on the roadmap.