Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] MegaSplat, a 256 texture splat mapping system..

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Da-Luk

Da-Luk

oh :D thank you ! so easy

2. jamesnw

jamesnw

Is "MicroSplat - Terrain Collection" compatible with MegaSplat? Perhaps I missed it, but you never stated anything on the store page.

3. godofcoding

godofcoding

Hello folks
    Does somebody knows what happening here?

And how to fix this edges?

4. jbooth

jbooth

They are different product lines..

5. jbooth

jbooth

You need to preprocess your mesh before painting- if you did that already, then it's likely you painted into the color channels (which you can remove in the vertex painter).

6. godofcoding

godofcoding

Ok this works. But mesh converter doesn't work correctly with fbx who has some children.
    Seems like converter only convert first one. Also converter doesn't support meshes with LODs

7. jbooth

jbooth

You can drag all the children in there, LODs included. It's pretty basic- just takes meshes, has no idea about FBX files, if they are used as LODs or not, if they are children or not- just mesh->mesh_splat. I would suggest reading the included documentation, it's pretty comprehensive.

8. wood333

wood333

I upgraded a 5.6.6 project to 2017 and everything updated except my megasplat terrain texture which is now white. Did i do something impermissible, or can my texture be revived?

9. jbooth

jbooth

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't upgrade fine- it's just a texture. Maybe grab it from a backup?

wood333 likes this.
  10. wood333

wood333

The terrain.mat (the custom material) is blank white in the upgraded project, but shows the colorful terrain in the old project. I copied it from the older project and dropped it into the new, but in the new it was blank white again. I cannot figure out what needs to be re-imported, hooked up again, or recompiled. All the megasplat assets from the old project appear to be present in the new.

EDIT: If I activate tasselation in the MegaSplat: Shader Compiler the terrain texture reappears, but with tasselation turned on, the ground ripples when the character controller moves around.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  11. jbooth

jbooth

If you turn it off does it go white again? I could imagine the shader needing a regeneration after upgrading, perhaps, but nothing that should turn it white comes to mind.

12. wood333

wood333

Unfortunately, yes it goes back to white. Perhaps, I need to upgrade Megasplat? How do I determine the version I am using? Is there an upgrade guide?

13. jbooth

jbooth

Look in the asset store- but it's been compatible with 2017 since it shipped, basically, so I doubt that's it.

14. Zante

Zante

Hi JBooth, can I use microsplat with vegetation studio to do all of the following together?

1. Real-time mesh blending with procedurally generated terrains
    2. Tessellation
    3. Vegetation Studio splatmap generation

15. jbooth

jbooth

1. If you generate the terrain descriptor data as well when you generate the terrains. This is just a height map and normal stored in an RGBHalf texture, and you can see how I generate it in the editor code.
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

Zante likes this.
  16. Pulsar

Pulsar

Hi everyone, and thanks for the good work.

We might be needing the tessellation shader of Microsplat, but currently we are working in a project using Lightweight Render Pipeline 4.9.0 in Unity 2018.3.8f1. I have seen there is an extension to the Tessellation Shader that might make it compatible with the Lightweight Pipeline, but would like to confirm that with my current versions before purchasing this all.

Will I have any shading problems with my current set-up? Thank you very much.

17. jbooth

jbooth

Last time I checked all modules were compatible with LWRP, but that pipeline keeps changing, so who knows. If it doesn't work for some reason I'll fix it.

18. Pulsar

Pulsar

Thank you very much! We will purchase it and see what happens! We'll let you know :)

19. Room101_Studios

Room101_Studios

Curious, but is this compatible with Gaia yet?

20. jbooth

jbooth

Sorta? You can convert terrains from what Gaia outputs to MegaSplat, but there's no integrated conversion. MicroSplat will read the data Gaia writes directly though..

21. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @jbooth !!

I do not know how to configure MegaSplat so that when I paint on the ground these strange lines do not appear in the textures mixture.

I have tried different versions of unity that had different versions of MegaSplat. So I assume it's something I do wrong in the Megasplat configuration. But as much as I have touched values (Brush Size Flow Falloff, Blend Target, Cluster Noise Scale ...), I have not been able to solve it and I get out in many parts of my land as seen in the photos ...

Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-3.jpg Untitled-4.jpg

Can you tell me how to fix it?

regards

22. jbooth

jbooth

Run the mesh through the Mesh converter before painting. You should go through the tutorial in the docs.

23. ftejada

ftejada

It's a terrain ... should I do what it suggests too?

24. Culyx

Culyx

I've been trying to get vertex painter to work for me and I have a few things working but I can't seem to get the textures to map over my vertex colors. I have initially assign a vertex color for each vertex based on the "terrain type" of the tiles I"m creating. I can't seem to paint things on to them with a brush but using the "random" button I can alter the vertex color. How do I map a texture array to this though?

Attached Files:

25. jbooth

jbooth

Hmm, terrain shouldn’t have that issue. Can you send me a repro?

26. jbooth

jbooth

You should read the documentation which will walk you through the basics. For MegaSpat you don’t paint vertex colors, rather there’s s custom brushing system which lets you choose textures to paint.

27. unity_B_aW8rKM1dKUCA

unity_B_aW8rKM1dKUCA

Hi,

I am new to Unity and coming from UE4. I usually use Substances to auto materials the terrain. The height information and slopes are auto calculated and sometimes I have to do some manual touch up with terrain paint.

Does your plugin offer the same experience ? In one of your videos, I noticed that you brought some Substances, but I did not see you try them on the terrain. Beside, the height and slopes of the terrain will they be calculated ? And there's chance to use the the slope materials ?

I am sorry again, but the terrain in Unity has been the bottleneck for my case till I saw your plugin.

28. jbooth

jbooth

MicroSplat has a procedural texturing module that allows you to specify rues based on height, slope, cavity and erosion to texture the terrain automatically. This is likely closest to some of the "AutoMaterial" stuff you see in Unreal.

MegaSplat has a texture graph which allows you to apply rules at editor time to do similar things, and a runtime mode which does a triplanar projection of 18 different textures (3 textures for each projection on 2 layers) based on slope and noise.

29. unity_B_aW8rKM1dKUCA

unity_B_aW8rKM1dKUCA

This is a great news. Does Microsplat support substances ?

30. jbooth

jbooth

It supports the built in integration in versions before 2017.3, and the plugin Allgorithmic released in 2018.3 and greater.

31. jamesnw

jamesnw

Hi, I seem to have a blending problem, but I'm using MegaSplat with MapMagic and I'm not sure which asset is causing this issue. I can't seem to get the texture clusters to mix properly. Everything has hard edges:

upload_2019-5-24_17-3-24.png
    I've also changed mesh resolutions which doesn't help. Aside from default settings, I changed some as explained in the MapMagic doc here: https://gitlab.com/denispahunov/mapmagic/wikis/output_generators/Custom_shader

upload_2019-5-24_17-6-15.png

Any ideas?

32. jbooth

jbooth

Hard to say, I assume you have adjusted the Interpolation contrast?

33. jamesnw

jamesnw

Yes I have. This is on full right:

upload_2019-5-24_17-21-10.png

And this is on full left:

upload_2019-5-24_17-21-59.png

Full left blends the best, but I can still see hard triangle edges.

upload_2019-5-24_18-41-28.png

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  34. jbooth

jbooth

There's a bit of a tradeoff between control texture size and blend softness in MegaSplat- it usually looks better with lower res control textures, but then you have less resolution to work with. Basically this is because the blend must be 100% complete on each vert (in this case, control point in the texture). The only way to do soft, wide blends, is to paint across the layers, because that gives you a blend value between the layers.

Since your applying with Map Magic, I'm not exactly sure how it converts it's output to MegaSplat format, or if it takes advantage of the two layers in the optimal way.

35. NightcoreLV

NightcoreLV

can i use this shader to normal models? for exampel houses, buildings and probs, is there a problem with performance?

36. PineappleParty

PineappleParty

Hello Jason. I tried importing MegaSplat into my 2019.1.4f1 project and there are compiler errors. Screenshot_6.png

I'm not a programmer. If the fix is simple could you show me what I should type in? Thanks.

Edit: I had to leave for work at the time and didn't get to explore all that is wrong with my scene. I'm guessing with the errors some scripts are not running resulting in me missing tools in the window drop down and missing shaders on the inspector panel? I hope these screenshots help.
    Screenshot_7.png

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  37. jamesnw

jamesnw

HI, there is flawed logic in TerrainPainter_GUI.cs.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (ti == null || !ti.isReadable)
    2.             {
    3.                EditorGUILayout.HelpBox("Control texture is not read/write", MessageType.Error);
    4.                if (GUILayout.Button("Fix it!"))
    5.                {
    6.                   ti.isReadable = true;
    7.                   ti.SaveAndReimport();
    8.                }
    9.                return false;
    10.             }
    When `it== null` the user (aka me) gets the help message. When they click "fix" it throws an error because you are assuming `ti` is not null in the button block, when in fact you are alloweing null into the scope,

38. LuiBroDood

LuiBroDood

Megasplat doesnt have stochastic?? :( i thought it would... I like the features of cluster and change at runtime,

I got Mircosplat + stochastic addon
    and I got Megasplat assuming itd have stochastic

hope it gets update soon

39. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @jbooth ! I feel the delay in answering, I have not been able to answer before.

I send you a repro with a scene. The array is already prepared with some textures that I use, it's called "Array_1K"

PM the dowload link...

I await your response, greetings.

40. toctoccontato

toctoccontato

eu comprei o ativo oneBatch porem nao consigo usar cutout, fade e tranparencia funcionam, mas o cutout nao. oque devo fazer? Também nao funciona frente verso "double sided" existe algo que possa ser feito? obs: cheguei aqui clicando em "Suport Website".

Attached Files:

41. whisp

whisp

I have enabled distance resampling and it looks great for my rocky cliffs textures, also ok for the grass textures. But for the forest i am using a texture with detailled roots and for the beach a texture with sand ripples. They look bad when the larger texture gets blended in - huge roots, huge ripples. I didn't find an option for distance resampling on a per texture base.

Is there a way to achieve a similar effect without distance resampling?

Some info: The terrain is procedurally generated and painted, and I'm using two layers for painting.

42. jbooth

jbooth

In MicroSplat I have a pertexturing property to turn this off and on for each texture, but I don't think I have that for MegaSplat..

43. Bzuco

Bzuco

@whisp You can also try manually adjust higher texture MIP levels in photoshop(blur annoying repeating parts in texture or remove them completely). I see this trick in Assetto corsa game on some sand textures with rocks. You will need DDS utilities to extract and repack MIPs.

44. whisp

whisp

@Bzuco Thanks for the hint, this sounds like it might work. Given that i can control the distance for the mipmaps–level change.

@jbooth Having more than 16 splat textures was the main criteria that made me select Megasplat, as well as texturing at runtime (while i am unsure if that really isnt possible with Microsplat). Distance resampling on a per tex base would an awesome feature for Megasplat.

45. jbooth

jbooth

MicroSplat supports 32 textures and now has a procedural texturing module- but if what you want to do is generate splat maps at runtime, it works exactly the same as it would with standard Unity terrain.

46. whisp

whisp

Thanks for the info, I will think about it. Your MicroSplat v MegaSplat website needs an update!

47. jbooth

jbooth

Yes, unfortunately I lost the files when a laptop was stolen, and as MicroSplat evolves its becoming harder to explain the difference as, for instance, they both have a form of runtime procedural texturing but are very different, and in your case I think your talking about just dynamically changing the splat map data, which either can do. So a simple bullet point list doesn’t really convey it anymore.

48. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hi! Just picked up MegaSpalt yesterday. Looks exactly what we are looking for. :) Great Asset. When jumping in - Fresh Scene, Gaia Created Terrain.
    Select "Terrain" - Choose Terrain Paint Tab - Select "Setup Terrain for MegaSplat" then terrain is gone with only flashing black areas here and there? Going to research but probably quick fix. Thoughts?

49. jbooth

jbooth

Is terrain instancing turned on? It's not supported..

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  50. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @jbooth Did you see something of the problem that you report ??? I have seen that you have answered some messages and you have not told me anything about it.

regards