Search Unity

[Released] MegaSplat, a 256 texture splat mapping system..

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Nov 16, 2016.

1. jbooth

jbooth

Water can only fill the low areas in the height map (based on the how much you've painted)- in your example, in a real-world situation, water would flow down from these areas and no longer fill the area you have painted. So to make it look realistic you'd want to adjust the terrain there to be higher on the edges of where you want the water. If you want the rocks to poke out of the top, lower your brush strength when you paint.

2. INLU

INLU

Later from start to finish, I found a way to draw. Too bad the color of the water cannot be set as a normal blend, not a texture.

3. jbooth

jbooth

What do you mean? It has a color value..

4. jbooth

jbooth

And by the way, reviewing bombing an asset is a *really* bad way to get support- we get no notifications when reviews are posted, and it's kind of like slapping someone in the face and saying "help me!".

5. INLU

INLU

that is, I want to change the color of the water .. But I don’t find the color option.

6. jbooth

jbooth

Ah, yeah, it's based on physical properties with streams. I think I have a tint for it in MegaSplat (which is the thread your posting under) but MicroSplat's is colored based on reflection and the underlying surface. If your trying to make a non-water surface, like some kind of goop, you might be able to get what you want with lava.

7. INLU

INLU

thank.

8. CYM

CYM

upload_2019-4-13_16-49-47.png
    Hello! I get this error when I check the "distance noise" on, it bug?

9. jbooth

jbooth

Yup; this is in MicroSplat, not MegaSplat right? If so a fix was uploaded to the asset store yesterday. I expect it to be approved on Monday..

10. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

After updating to 2017.4.25f1, I am now getting errors and cannot paint on terrains. All was find before I updated to ver 2017.4.25.

Here is the problem I'm getting:
    I can open terrain painter, set config to example texture array config, but nothing opens up and I get a lot of repeating errors.
    See screenshots below.

Did the latest update break MegaSplat?
    I've deleted and reinstalled 3 times and get same errors and problems.
    megasplat error no textures shown.JPG megasplat error1.JPG megasplat error2.JPG

11. jbooth

jbooth

Does your texture array config have textures in it?

dsilverthorn likes this.
  12. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

That's a good question. I assumed it did because it is your example array, but something could have happened to it.
    I'll check that and get back to you.
    I'll also try some arrays from previous projects that I know works just to be sure.

13. gaiastellar

gaiastellar

hi

hi jason, my quadtree planet is basically ready for me to start texturing. im decided on using the vertice alpha channel to store the first set of texture choices and the uv3 to store the second. i have a couple of questions about this however.
    firstly, i'm going to apply the rgb colours for each triangle manually, which should be easy considering the vertices are in a simple 64 x 64 grid. so i'm thinking one row of vertices can be all red, and the next row can be alternating green and blue, and the next row all red again, and so on. in that way each triangle will have 1 vertice of each colour. im assuming that will work. as for the uv3 - im not familiar with the use of uv channels other than the main one. is the uv3 channel used for anything else? if im modifying the values of the vector4 w and x, then are the y and z channels storing the normal uv values? or are they used internally for something else? and the values are in the range 0 - 255? or 0-1 like uv coordinates?

thanks

paul/ uk

14. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

ok. This is weird. When I tested with downloaded texture array I got every texture being the same as the first. megasplat error5.JPG

It seems to be the new download of mega splat textures causing the problem.
    I copied over the texture arrays from a previous project and now everything worked as it should.

Either my internet was acting up for several hours last night as I downloaded megasplat several times to get it working or the files got corrupted on the Unity server.

But it is back working for me by pulling old downloaded files from another project.

15. jbooth

jbooth

Uv3-7 are not used by unity; uv1 and uv2 contain light mapping information in the xy components. MegaSplat uses 0-1 values, but the channels are full float.

If your storing the texturing on vertices and your quad tree planet uses LODs, then realize that the texturing is going to
    Pop when you add or remove vertices.

16. gaiastellar

gaiastellar

ok, thanks.

just to clarify, making sure ive got this right, when setting up the uv3 vector4, channels w and x take values 0-255 for texture choice and blend? and what about y and z? do i need to set anything up on those, or does megasplat do that?

thanks

paul

17. jbooth

jbooth

Nope, 0-1, same as color.a. The format for what goes in the channels is in the doc, and depends on what features are enabled.

18. saber_7

saber_7

Hey all, maybe silly question, does Megasplat work (in a stable way) on 2018.3?

19. jbooth

jbooth

Yes

saber_7 likes this.
  20. CyberFoxGameStudioBahamas

CyberFoxGameStudioBahamas

hello. first i would like to thank you for making such a great asset. i purchased megasplat first because my budget only allow for one at that time but my project needed features from both megasplat and microsplat. i have now purchase microsplat terrain collection and imported into the same project but they seem to conflict i always get a similar error wen i i import mega first then micro or the other way around. I dont see why both cant work in same project and now i have spent almost 200$ for basically one or the other. help please

21. jbooth

jbooth

They should work fine in a project together. You might try installing them into separate projects, then copying the files into your project.

22. CyberFoxGameStudioBahamas

i will try and get back to ya

23. CyberFoxGameStudioBahamas

hi i tried import mega and micro into to separate projects then copying into one still receive errors

ssets/MicroSplat/Streams/Scripts/Editor/StreamPainterWindow.cs(64,19): error CS0103: The name `CreateTexture' does not exist in the current context

Assets/MicroSplat/Streams/Scripts/Editor/StreamPainterWindow.cs(108,47): error CS1061: Type `JBooth.MicroSplat.StreamPainterWindow' does not contain a definition for `OnSceneGUI' and no extension method `OnSceneGUI' of type `JBooth.MicroSplat.StreamPainterWindow' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/MicroSplat/Streams/Scripts/Editor/StreamPainterWindow.cs(109,47): error CS1061: Type `JBooth.MicroSplat.StreamPainterWindow' does not contain a definition for `OnSceneGUI' and no extension method `OnSceneGUI' of type `JBooth.MicroSplat.StreamPainterWindow' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/MicroSplat/Streams/Scripts/Editor/StreamPainterWindow.cs(141,47): error CS1061: Type `JBooth.MicroSplat.StreamPainterWindow' does not contain a definition for `OnSceneGUI' and no extension method `OnSceneGUI' of type `JBooth.MicroSplat.StreamPainterWindow' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

24. Bzuco

Bzuco

@CyberFoxGameStudioBahamas I tried first import megasplat and then microsplat modules one by one. Everything is working except MicroSplat - Puddles Streams Lava Wetness package, which brings similar errors ...so they are fighting.

25. jbooth

jbooth

It's got to be some kind of meta file thing, because all the code is namespaced.. I've had them both installed before, but will test again.

26. Bzuco

Bzuco

@jbooth I will also try the trick with copy meta files as you advised...I will let you know.

27. CyberFoxGameStudioBahamas

update me with a fix and lava and streams is the only reason i got mirosplet so need them to work for sure. also i didnt buy the packages separate i bought the terrain collection which i notice hasnt been updated sense you updated the core microsplat

28. Bzuco

Bzuco

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  29. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello Jason,

Does your Stochastic Height Sampling Node asset supports HDRP?

Regards,
    Carlos

30. jbooth

jbooth

Yes

31. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

I am sorry but I realized that I might have asked the wrong question. What I meant to ask is: Can I use it when building a HDRP Lit in Shader Graph?

Regards,
    Carlos

32. jbooth

jbooth

Yeah, there's actually a node for ASE, and one for Unity's shader editor. Both work in either SRP, and ASE works in standard as well.

33. halit23

halit23

Hello
    I am not able to read the whole thread so i apologize if my question had been answered before i have to simple but important (for me) quistions:

1- i want to create terrain mesh from out of unity (max for instance). these terrain meshes will be modified during the project. are meshes directly editable from within your tool?

2- The mesh painting would be minor in unity and i want to use alpha maps that were created in 3dsmax or photoshop, then using it in Unity as seperate map for each diffuse texture or use alphas in one splatalpha map (RGBA)

would i be able to this in your tool?

Thanks in advance

34. jbooth

jbooth

MegaSplat does not use a traditional splat map format. It's possible to paint the mesh entirely at runtime, and there is a runtime texturing example which shows how to paint a mesh or terrain with splat map data (many voxel engines use MegaSplat for this?). The actual format is described in the docs, which are available online, along with custom data which has to be on the vertices (There is an included converter for this, along with an option to do it entirely in the shader (slower))

dsilverthorn likes this.
  35. Da-Luk

Da-Luk

Hi, i bought "MicroSplat - Terrain Collection" and was impressed of the tesselation example scene, i want to use that nice looking POM, but if i click onto the MicroSplat.mat everything in the Shader Generator v:2.6 is off. Even if i try to activate the POM the actual POM disappers and doesn't seem to work. What im doing wrong? Im using Unity 2019.1.1f1
    Thank you in advance

36. jbooth

jbooth

The option for POM accidentally got left in the last build; Parallax and Tessellation are the only options currently supported- POM will be removed as an option in the next build. Note that when editing the materials you need to select the material on the terrain component (or in the MicroSplatData directory) not the instance on the terrain.

37. Da-Luk

Da-Luk

Ouh, why are you removing POM ? It looks very nice, is there a way to get an older version with POM support?
    Thank you

38. jbooth

jbooth

It doesn't actually work right- at least in my tests on the mac. It seems like the view space gets mangled somehow and it swims around- is it working right for you?

39. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I cannot get PolyBrush to paint on a Unity primitive sphere with MicroSplat. Am I missing a step in the workflow? The PolyBrush window tells me that no shader on this object supports vertex colors.

40. Da-Luk

Da-Luk

Yes its working right for me, maybe some blendings are not 100% correct but for my purposes it would be the best solution because in my project some objects dissapears under the tesselation. With POM it's impossible to dissapear.

Where can i get the older version ?

MicroSplat_POM.jpg

41. Da-Luk

Da-Luk

Does only Mega Splat have collision on Tesselated Terrain? Is it possible to add collision on Micro Splats Tesselation? If so then i dont know if i should regred the decision to use Micro Splat instead of Mega Splat.

42. jbooth

jbooth

You’d have to ask the polybrush people about that. Is this to control the alpha on terrain blending?

43. jbooth

jbooth

There is no older version; that said when the new version ships you can uncommebt the code in the module to reenable it.

44. jbooth

jbooth

I never did it for MucroSplat because there’s still small differences between the cpu and GPU versions I was never able to remove.

45. Da-Luk

Da-Luk

Thank you for the Information. So are you planing to fix the POM function? Another question: If i create a terrain with MicroSplat, can i use it for MegaSplat like the one for mobile and the other for a PC version of my game?

46. jbooth

jbooth

They look pretty different as the techniques are totally different, so the conversion wouldn’t be exact.

47. djgriff

djgriff

Hello, and excuse me if this has been asked previously. Does your asset work with HDRL and LWRP?

Thanks

Daniel

48. jbooth

jbooth

MicroSplat has a LWRP module, but not MegaSplat.

49. Da-Luk

Da-Luk

Hey, is there a way to paint textures directly onto the terrain with Micro Splat? I saw a video where you paint with Mega Splat but cannot find this Tool for Micro Splat. Can i use Mega Splats Painter for Micro Splat?
    Thank you

50. jbooth

jbooth

You use the standard Unity painting tools..