Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] MegaSplat, a 256 texture splat mapping system..

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

I just tried deleting the LastSession.asset file, reimporting the latest MS bundle from the asset store, and opening the texture graph editor. Unfortunately, same error and same lack of functionality.

2. jbooth

jbooth

The other thing to try is to clear the asset store cache. This looks like the bug from a few versions ago. That said, what version of Unity are you running?

3. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

@jbooth I just found a fix for the broken texture graph issue, and it turned out to be a specialized case that may not impact other users. (It had nothing to do with the lighter color. Something about this project renders the texture graph in a lighter shade of grey even after I reimport the latest asset store package after clearing the asset store cache and redownloading). My project is relatively large, and uses asmdef files in conjunction with the roslyn compiler to accelerate build times.

This generally works flawlessly, but it does mean that I have to manually move editor script files and other assets into designated folders with specific asmdef files to manually build them in their own assembly. (further reading here: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1447864/20173-assembly-definition-files-best-practices-for.html )

I have been careful to update "/Resources" and other asset references in the asset packages I modify in this way, but I had to look through the MegaSplat code to realize that it uses an
    AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetAssemblies() call in multiple places to automatically find graph nodes.

After updating calls such as
    IEnumerable<Assembly> scriptAssemblies = AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetAssemblies ().Where ((Assembly assembly) => assembly.FullName.Contains ("Assembly")); to use a project-appropriate assembly name instead of "Assembly", the graph editor is working as expected!

Thanks for your help. There is another question that you can clarify for me: I had initially assumed that the texture graph system was a more sophisticated version of the triplanar procedural system, and that it would work for runtime-generated terrains after the graph was compiled. Now that I've played with it for a bit, it appears that the tool actually stores top and bottom layer data inside a "Mega Splat Terrain Manager" component attached to each terrain object and that this data must be calculated in edit mode. Am I understanding this correctly? Can the texture graph system be used to texture procedurally generated terrains?

4. jbooth

jbooth

No, what it actually does is write a shader which generates the terrain data based on input data. So it packs the terrain into a bunch of textures describing the terrain (height, normals, cavity, etc). Then it writes a shader which given those inputs outputs a splat map. The tool then just blits that out to use.

When I originally thought of the tool I thought I might turn it into an editor for runtime generation, but I didn't go down that route for a few reasons. First, the procedural mode for runtime generation that's in there only works on meshes, since it does it's calculations at the vertex level - which is not really applicable to terrains, which have unstable vertices due to the CLOD system Unity uses, and thus are not reliable for such uses. So it wouldn't work well for Unity terrains, which is what most people are using. Second, it would be a ton of work that very few people would use, and would require the shader to be optimized for speed instead of ease of results.

That said, it would be quite easy to look at the way the tool runs the shader and move that code to runtime. You could generate the textures it needs and have the shader it writes generate the splat maps. As you can see from using the tool, once the shader is compiled the updates happen very quickly, so hiding that in the loading code won't slow things down too much.

5. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Fantastic explanation. I'm currently using MapMagic to generate the terrains, and was thinking of replacing its specialized MS output node (which is inverting texture assignments for no clear reason on 5%-10% of generated terrain tiles) with MegaSplat's internal texture graph system. My next plan was to use the same texture graphs for Voxeland worlds, and experiment with graph texturing for another mesh-based terrain system I am working on. Sounds like I should stick with the MM MS output node for now, and I'll work on tracking down the occasionally texture-cluster-mismatched terrain tile over the next few days.

6. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi Jason, hope you are well...

I have the latest megasplat installed and am trying out the latest Unity 2018.3.0b5 and am getting the following 12 errors in the compiler. Is this a known issue and is there a fix available now or later? Many thanks.

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(954,83): error CS0104: `TextureCompressionQuality' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.TextureCompressionQuality' and `UnityEditor.TextureCompressionQuality'

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(954,33): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEditor.EditorUtility.CompressTexture(UnityEngine.Texture2D, UnityEngine.TextureFormat, int)' has some invalid arguments

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(954,109): error CS1503: Argument `#3' cannot convert `UnityEngine.TextureCompressionQuality' expression to type `int'

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(959,87): error CS0104: `TextureCompressionQuality' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.TextureCompressionQuality' and `UnityEditor.TextureCompressionQuality'

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(959,33): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEditor.EditorUtility.CompressTexture(UnityEngine.Texture2D, UnityEngine.TextureFormat, int)' has some invalid arguments

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(959,113): error CS1503: Argument `#3' cannot convert `UnityEngine.TextureCompressionQuality' expression to type `int'

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(964,78): error CS0104: `TextureCompressionQuality' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.TextureCompressionQuality' and `UnityEditor.TextureCompressionQuality'

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(964,33): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEditor.EditorUtility.CompressTexture(UnityEngine.Texture2D, UnityEngine.TextureFormat, int)' has some invalid arguments

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(964,104): error CS1503: Argument `#3' cannot convert `UnityEngine.TextureCompressionQuality' expression to type `int'

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(969,79): error CS0104: `TextureCompressionQuality' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.TextureCompressionQuality' and `UnityEditor.TextureCompressionQuality'

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(969,33): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEditor.EditorUtility.CompressTexture(UnityEngine.Texture2D, UnityEngine.TextureFormat, int)' has some invalid arguments

Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(969,105): error CS1503: Argument `#3' cannot convert `UnityEngine.TextureCompressionQuality' expression to type `int'

7. DrInternet

DrInternet

Hello again,

I just came across your One Batch tool, which looks very like Megasplat. Hence 2 questions:
    1. Is there any significant performance difference?
    2. Do you plan to propagate QoL changes to Megasplat? Namely: tinting, specular workflow and detail (secondary) maps.

Also: how much Megasplat is ready for upcoming 2018.3 terrain changes?

8. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

apologies. I reimported megasplat and it solved all the issues

9. jbooth

jbooth

As a rule, I generally don't support betas because lots of things are changing. I added support for MicroSplat for b3, and in b5 they've broken something with Graphics.CopyTexture, so ya, not worth spending time on until it stabalizes. Once it gets closer I'll take a look.

Ascensi and Hawk0077 like this.
  10. jbooth

jbooth

The shader in One Batch is the standard shader, but modified to use texture array lookups and property lookups from a texture instead of material values. I added Parallax Occlusion Mapping and another detail texturing mode to it for fun, but speed wise it IS the standard shader. Not moving any of that code to MegaSplat though, it's a very different system, and though people were using MegaSplat as a way to reduce draw calls, One Batch is basically a way to automate that workflow and keep it in-sync with the standard shader system.

11. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Jason I understand... Its not a problem. Thanks for the great work too. Cheers.

12. nrodemund

nrodemund

Hi,
    I' struggling to do something which sounds easy, but I do not find out how to do, maybe Megasplat does not support that.
    I have a MegaSplat shader in Mesh mode, which does some Dual Layer splatting. It's a procedural mesh, so I can modify all channels.

Let's say I want to splat an image, let's say a smiley onto bottom layer. The surrounding of this smiley has a transparent background. How to configure that the top layer only splats the smiley, and not it's (transparent) background?

- my first idea was to put an alpha map to the texture in hope the layer blend does use the alpha channel for blending. It does not, the bottom layer gets transparent too. (Misconfiguration?)
    - the second was to use a transparent macro texture, and just use uv2 to choose where it should blend over. Macro texture does not support alpha though (Misconfiguration?)

Thanks for your help!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E6Fhj9rg-T9sJbax9YSI85yuHtj3GBDV

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  13. jbooth

jbooth

What you want is called a decal system; there are a few different ones available on the asset store.

14. nrodemund

nrodemund

Thanks for fast answer. I do not find any decal shader that can do what megasplat can do so I added this functionality to your shader. I was not able to do it in custom file though, somehow I could not access any of the shader variables (like _Diffuse, ...), but thats maybe just because I'm new to unity shading system.

15. Emme73

Emme73

Hi @jbooth ,I am having trouble getting a megasplatted, split mesh landscape from one project to the other, as it seems Megasplat looses all the custom textures I added to the array :((( Any idea how to do that sort of thing ? I though exporting as a prefab would include all dependencies, but it seems since the textures are in the array, they dont get exported as dependencies or something...all that gets transported over are the objects with basic Megasplat textures:(

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  16. Xaron

Xaron

Just digging into this, looks great!

A question: When I want to create a completely procedural world, so the geometry is created out of perlin noise for instance, as far as I understand I need to use meshes then to use the procedural texturing based on slope? And I have to color the vertices, right?

Or can I use the build in terrain system as well (again, the terrain would be created at runtime, so I cannot use the editor conversion) with that kind of procedural texturing?

17. jbooth

jbooth

Yes, you'd need to use meshes for that feature- it doesn't work on Unity terrains because the vertices are not stable (CLOD). You could also use the Unity Terrain system, but then you'd have to compute the texturing yourself with whatever technique you'd want to use (the low level format is described in the docs)

Xaron likes this.
  18. Emme73

Emme73

Hi @jbooth , I have a little problem, I am moving a textured mesh (terrain) between two projects, and the prefab basically works, but the texture array looses the connection of all the textures I added manually :( Only the stock Megasplat textures are in the prefab, although I also have all the textures that I added in the Unity project, so I dunno why Megasplat doesnt find them.

19. jbooth

jbooth

Unity references everything via .meta files, so you need to copy them as well.

Emme73 likes this.
  20. gaiastellar

gaiastellar

hi,
    i'm planning to create spherical planetary terrain procedurally at runtime using a 3d noise mesh deformation shader created in amplify shader editor. it would be great to then add megasplat functionality to my custom shader o texture it procedurally as well. i read somewhere that megasplat can be used as a node in amplify?

thanks

21. jbooth

jbooth

There are nodes for sampling from a texture array and decoding the index choices from the vertices of a mesh; though I haven't tried them in amplify since many versions ago.

22. MBaadsgaard

MBaadsgaard

Hey there, a few quick questions:

Will MegaSplat get Vegetation Studio support like MicroSplat?
    Has MegaSplat been tested with Unity 2018.3 terrain?

And a slightly longer one:
    We talked about this before where I wanted to blend objects into the terrain like Microsplat,
    I am just gonna touch back on it, because I am still not sure why it cannot be done, besides it being a lot of texture samples:
    For Megasplat on terrain, you use a topology-independent sampling method with an additional map. Could this not be used also to sample on another object to blend the normal, diffuse etc..?
    Sampling the same texture based on world position offset from the terrain transform should give the information needed. Then there is also the need for getting normal and possibly height or slope from the terrain, but with Unity 2018.3's instanced terrain, they are uploaded to the GPU as textures.
    So is this possible and can I get the shader code piped out from MegaSplat easily to do this?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  23. Emme73

Emme73

Hi,@jbooth , I got a brandnew problem :D I added some texturemaps into my custom array, and in the Texture settings editor where I can select the index, it ends at index 88 while I have like 92 textures in the array. Any idea how to access them to change UV scale and such ? ? Thanks.

24. jbooth

jbooth

vegetation studio already supports MegaSplat. I will update the code for 2018.3 once it stabilizes, for now I keep MicroSplat working because it's simpler to port.

As for the terrain blending question, MegaSplat works with arbitrary meshes (mesh vs. mesh) so there's no representation which can represent that easily in unity- for that you'd need a signed distance field representation of the scene. In the past, when I've put in features that support terrains but not meshes, or vice versa, there's been a lot of complains and confusion. So I prefer to keep everything compatible no matter what the workflow used.

25. jbooth

jbooth

You mean on the per-texture properties? It should read that from the array size- are you sure you have the correct ones assigned?

26. SOIL

SOIL

Hi, 1st of all megasplat is a great tool!

Sadly, the tesselation shader seems not to support the realtime ambient occlusion filter from the post processing package V2. Could there be a solution for it? Since I am not planning to bake anything in my project.

I have both packages (megasplat & tesselate) and I consider to buy the Anti Tiling Module too. Will it also be added so that I can use Tesselate with it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  27. jbooth

jbooth

Are you talking about MicroSplat or MegaSplat? Because the tessellation/anti-tiling are for MicroSplat. All modules of MicroSplat work together- you buy the features you need, each module just adding more options.

As for the AO, you might want to make sure the terrain is being drawn before the AO is being processed- for instance, if the post processing is set to happen after the GBuffer is filled, but the lighting mode on MicroSplat is set to something other than Automatic, the terrain would be rendered in forward rendering, and thus not be affected by the AO. So that would be my guess..

28. SOIL

SOIL

The lightning mode in the MicroSplat Material/Shader is on "automatic". I also checked the AO layer settings and the terrain is stated there too. hm...

edit: the AO effect is only working on the sphere

29. jbooth

jbooth

Have you tried looking at the frame debugger to make sure the terrain is being drawn before the post processing step? Post processing effects have no idea what shader or system drew the object- they are just operating on image buffers, so the only way the AO wouldn't work is if the terrain is being drawn after the post processing step.

30. SOIL

SOIL

I am actually not in front of the unity machine. But before I left I switched the camera to forward rendering and AO started to work. I am now totally confused. Does the shaders work on deffered now too, or on both, or only on forward?

Also, I accidentally bought MegaSplat some hours ago (should sleep more) and I would like to ask for a refund, cause I would rather invest the money in some of your MicroSplat addons, like Global Texturing, Anti-Tiling Module, Texture Cluster and maybe one more.

sorry for the circumstances!

regards

31. jbooth

jbooth

PM me your invoice.

The shader works for either forward or deferred- my guess is that it's drawing in the forward pass even when you're set to deferred for some reason. This happens when you force a lighting mode (because deferred rendering does lighting after drawing the scene, so it's not possible to have different lighting models), but if your set to automatic I'm not sure why that would happen, because nothing at the shader level should cause that..

32. SOIL

SOIL

AO works with deferred rending - only if I uncheck HDR! - which confuses me even more.... any suggestion?

1st test with MicroSplat: Fifteen PBR Displacement Textures in 4K provided by Christoph Schindelar, who made some textures for the Star Wars movie Force Awakens. > rd-textures.com

33. jbooth

jbooth

That makes no sense to me..

34. SOIL

SOIL

Same to me.. in fact, when I activate the HDR checkbox on the camera, running in deferred mode, AO turns off. Could other plugins influence at this point in a way?

35. jbooth

jbooth

No idea- I haven't looked at the AO code. I would check in the frame debugger and make sure terrain is drawn at the correct time, because the only thing I can think of is it being drawn later, or it not drawing to whatever inputs the AO uses (usually depth buffer and/or normal buffer)

36. ninjabuntu

ninjabuntu

@jbooth Forgive me if this has already answered, I really don't want to sift 88 pages.

The MicroSplat Terrain Holes module is that just a visual hole or can I cut an actual hole that I can fill with, say for instance a cave inside of the mountain range starting with an entrance on the surface of the. Do it also turn off the collision of those faces of the terrain. If they do, I'm sold. If not, well still sold will just have to work around it.

37. SOIL

SOIL

And how can I achieve the order of which object gets drawn first? I guess by code? Or is there a way in unity to setup things like that, somehow? Sorry, I am not a programmer. =)

38. jbooth

jbooth

It just handles the visual aspects, but if you look on the reviews someone posted a small script to handle the player moving through the hole.

Yes, but knowing that it's being drawn after the AO to verify that assumption would be the first step. Most likely it's being drawn in forward rendering for some reason.

39. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

why there is always a blurry area between detail and further away, this area was able to change using terrain shader in basemap distance, however when using microsplat, this blurry distance seemed to be fixed.

40. jbooth

jbooth

It's most likely the filtering your using. MegaSplat doesn't use a basemap type optimization. Try changing the filter mode on the texture array config to trilinear (usually on the normals it helps most)..

Tethys likes this.
  41. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

Is it possible to add a basemap type optimization? I changed to trilinear, but the blur is still there, I was able to tune the father away distance close to the detail distance to try to remove the blur, but I think the blur distance should be something I can tune with.

42. jbooth

jbooth

Can you post a screenshot of what your seeing? Because if it's just texture filtering, then a base map style optimization won't make a difference with that. All Unity's basemap stuff does it render out a single texture for the entire terrain and blend to that at a distance. You can do this with MegaSplat using the making tools and the macro texture feature if you really want to, but I don't see why it would affect the filtering that much..

43. VitorPM

VitorPM

Hi, I need some help with multiple terrains using MegaSplat.

I imported from world creator using self made tool and it went well. The terrain is split by 4x4 and everything fits, textures and mesh.

When I use the MegaSplat tool, it transforms into 16 terrains just fine, but when the tessellation is activated cracks appears in the borders that connects 2 terrains.

Any thoughts how can I solve that?

I checked the splatmap that was generated and they match. What could be leading to the cracks?

Thank you in advance,

MegaSplatNoTess.png MegaSplatTess.png NoMegaSplat.png

44. jbooth

jbooth

Most likely it's because your textures don't tile correctly across the borders, so there's a discontinuity in the height map data. You can fix this in a number of ways:

- Make sure your UV scale is a multiple of your terrain size, such that the tile edges of textures line up
    - Use World Space UV's instead of the UVs supplied by the terrain
    - Paint displacement dampening along edges.

45. VitorPM

VitorPM

Thank you, by using a texture tiling multiple of terains size works.

But, is world space UV built in in MegaSplat?

Thank you for awesome fast response,

46. jbooth

jbooth

Yes, there's an option to use local or world space uvs, as well as projected UVs as well (from one direction)

47. nrodemund

nrodemund

Hi, I have 3 major problems using MegaSplat tesselation. You can see 2 on this image:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g3I5fYyLoi-7x-HdssOmIsuV0YqVMq_k

1) in deferred rendering Ambient Light is not used. When I set ambient intensity to 0 there is no difference between these 2 LODs. Also shadows are completely dark when using tesselation. Tesselate shadow pass does not change much

2) both tesselation modes are not "synchronized" between triangles. When the triangles have different normals the skybox shines through in all modes. I understand why this happens, but it makes tesselation inusable

3) there are flickerin artifacts on movement, even when there is no shadow on terrain. Does not occur with forward rendering

version 1.73

Edit: 1) and 3) do not happen in forward mode

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  48. gaiastellar

gaiastellar

hi,
    is there a master alpha value for the whole shader so i can fade the whole mesh in and out. basically, im building a quadtree planet, with procedural terrain which ill be using megasplat to texture, but as it swtches from one LOD to another, id like to fade between them. is this possible with megasplat shader/ material?

many thanks

paul uk

49. jbooth

jbooth

It's likely Unity changed some low level shader stuff in some version. Can you send me a small repro scene and your unity version number so I can test?

As for #2, if your normals/uvs are not continuous then your going to have cracks. You can, however, paint displacement dampening along those edges to remove displacement in those areas.

50. jbooth

jbooth

No - and most likely you don't want to draw your mesh as alpha anyway, because it would have sorting issues and such that are not present with opaque geometry.