Search Unity

[Released] MegaSplat, a 256 texture splat mapping system..

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Nov 16, 2016.

1. jbooth

jbooth

Ah, try this- open the megasplat_terrain_body.txt file and uncomment the line in the very function which looks like:

//I.tangent.w = -1;

Then generate a new MegaSplat shader and assign it to the material.

Patryzzjuhh likes this.
  2. Patryzzjuhh

Patryzzjuhh

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help!

edit: I uncommented the line in the txt file resulting in a brown colored terrain (yay) the only problem now is that it gives me the following error when i click the button Select Material.

ExecuteMenuItem failed because there is no menu named 'Window/Inspector'
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:ExecuteMenuItem(String)
    JBooth.TerrainPainter.TerrainPainterWindow:VerifyData() (at Assets/MegaSplat/TerrainPainter/Editor/TerrainPainter_GUI.cs:317)
    JBooth.TerrainPainter.TerrainPainterWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/MegaSplat/TerrainPainter/Editor/TerrainPainter_GUI.cs:517)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

There is already a material assigned in the inspector tab of the terrain though.
    It results in me being unable to start painting..

Sorry fo the inconvenience.. Thank you.. Again. :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  3. jbooth

jbooth

Select the material from the project view- I can look into this error when I get back to land..

4. Patryzzjuhh

Patryzzjuhh

Thanks very much! it is working!! :D:D:D Have a nice time not on land! XD

5. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @jbooth

Any solution to the problem that I report?

regards

6. jbooth

jbooth

Something in your project is preventing the classes from loading. If you try it in a new project it works fine, so likely you have something doing something funky in there.

7. ftejada

ftejada

@jbooth
    I was reviewing the forum and I found this post and it seems the same problem that happens to me ... I want to use Megasplat in my project. But being a project almost finished, for me it is almost unfeasible to detect if something is coming into conflict with MegaSplat.

It only happens when I click on the "Utility" tab of MegaSplat's TerrainPainter and when I remove MegaSplat from the project Everything works perfect and this problem never appears.

Would a patch with a solution similar to the one indicated in post be possible?

regards

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...at-mapping-system.441329/page-77#post-3447077

8. HaBe

HaBe

Hi @jbooth,
    I've got two things today for you to kindly look into.
    I've set up MegaSplat in a Unity 2018.2.5 project (DX11, HDR, Linear, Deferred) on an already existing terrain, switching from RTP that I've removed from the project.
    Using the VegetationStudio ColorMaskCreator script I've rendered a tint map that I've assigned as macro texture override in the MS Terrain Manager script. There's also a macro normal map assigned. Here's the shader config:

Unbenannt-1.png

Not sure if it's counting as a bug or just an inconvenience, but the Macro Strength slider works inverted right now.

Unbenannt-1.png
    Unbenannt-1.png

The second thing is the real problem right now. As soon as I'm enabling tesselation (both distance and edge mode, no matter what tesselation options are enabled/disabled in any combination), the terrain turns completely black. I've verified this in your example scene, same outcome. The mesh tesselation demo work's as expected as far as I can tell, though, so I guess it's terrain specific. When looking upwards from a point below the terrain, you can see that tesselation itself works, so it may be a problem with normals and/or light.

Unbenannt-2.png
    Please let me know if you need any additional information.

EDIT: Just noticed, when enabling tesselation, the shader compiler throws the following warnings:

Unbenannt-1.png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  9. jbooth

jbooth

The actual error you have causing your issue is that it can’t load the assembly for the classes themselves; the GUI stuff is just a warning that has no effect. Since everything works fine in a new project, it’s not really my responsibility to debug what’s going on in your project since it’s unlikely to be something I’m doing in my code. You should try removing 3rd party assets and see which one is causing the issue, which might give you a clue.

ftejada likes this.
  10. jbooth

jbooth

I’ll try to repro this next week when I’m back and see if I can get it to happen on my machine.

11. ftejada

ftejada

Thanks for the help.

regards

12. HaBe

HaBe

Thank you. Just to keep you updated meanwhile, I got good and bad news. Tesselation worked for a short while after installing the MS update that just rolled out on the store yesterday. After working on the project and adding more splats, the editor stalled completely - not only the scene view, but the whole GUI rendering except low level functionality in the window header (min, max, close buttons and menus). When closing and loading up the editor again, the scene was rendered for a couple of frames, then the GFX card driver stalled and reloaded (short blackout of all screens) after which the editor GUI was unresponsive again.
    The only way to make it work again for me - besides trying the usual stuff like reboot, updating GFX card driver etc.) was commenting out the Tessellation.cginc include in the MS shader, so it definitely has to do with tesselation in a way, maybe connected to something new in 2018.2.5. Will keep you updated here if I find out more.

13. HaBe

HaBe

Found the culprit for my case. The project was still set to .Net 4.x Runtime after a test I did before incorporating MS. After setting back to .Net 3.5, the editor runs smoothly again. :rolleyes:
    Not sure if you can do anything about that and if it's really related to MS now, but you may want to give it a little test with 4.x on your system next week anyways.

A little additional question: Should triplanar mode work on terrains as expected, or is that not possible because of technical restrictions?

14. jbooth

jbooth

Triplanar should work fine on terrains; what issue are you having?

15. HaBe

HaBe

Unbenannt-1.png

Well, this. It's like as if the splats are rendered with lowest mip level, only some detail returns if you go very close with the cam to the terrain, but it never reaches the highest mip level.
    If you've never heared of that before, please let me know anyways. Then I can be quite certain that Unity has messed something up with all the shaders in my project again and I know what to do.

16. jbooth

jbooth

I have never heard of that, but perhaps the UV scale for the triplanar is set very low?

17. Patryzzjuhh

Patryzzjuhh

Hello again @jbooth,

I have some textures which have transparent parts in it for proper layering but when i set my Alpha mode to cutout in my terrain shader, everything turns black.. I cannot seem to get the layering to work properly. My texture array has all textures set up with "Alpha is transparency" enabled.

When i set my shade from Alpha mode Opaque to Cutout i get the following warning:

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/bf1/map/pve/11100_pve_01p_siegeofhope/megasplat/Terrain_11100_pve_01p_siegeofhope.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:Refresh()
    SplatArrayShaderGUI:Compile(Material, String) (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/SplatArrayShaderGUI_Compiler.cs:1067)
    SplatArrayShaderGUI:OnGUI(MaterialEditor, MaterialProperty[]) (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/SplatArrayShaderGUI.cs:1353)
    UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)

All settings have stayed the same, DX11, no emulation ect...

Have a nice weekend!

18. jbooth

jbooth

The alpha hole module doesn’t allow you to use the alpha channels from your textures, it lets one of the textures in your array act as the cut out texture, such that where ever it’s used a hole appears in the terrain. Does the shader in the MicroSplatData directory show any errors when you select it?

19. Patryzzjuhh

Patryzzjuhh

@jbooth Thank you for the fast reply!

I realized I explained my problem wrong.. I was talking about the alpha mode setting on my terrain material. When I set that to cutout the entire terrain turns black.

Sorry but i do not understand what that would have to do with Microsplat, i thought i was reffering to Megasplat? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
    Patricia

20. jbooth

jbooth

Ah, ok, maybe I got the threads mixed up. Does the shader show any errors?

21. Patryzzjuhh

Patryzzjuhh

Sadly no...
    However i got the Alphas to work.. Aparrently after exporting the sprites to separate textures, they lost their alpha maps... I manually put them in the texture array and now they do cutout properly :D

Though... they also cutout everything below it? Which is not really what i meant it to do... (see pic1)

Is that a settings problem from my side? i have nothing selected in my material settings (pic2)

Attached Files:

22. jbooth

jbooth

I can’t really tell what’s happening in that picture; are you trying to layer sprites into the terrain or something? The cutout feature is designed to clip holes in terrain primarily..

23. Patryzzjuhh

Patryzzjuhh

Ehm yes.. I put down a texture without any alpha layer or at least not one that creates holes.. then i try to laye another texture with an alpha map on there so that it would just get me the specific shapes without deleting the other layer.. I am not really an expert on this so i thought that cutout would be the setting for this.. I guess that's not the case then?

trying to create something like the pic below... XD

Attached Files:

24. jbooth

jbooth

No, alpha is for making things transparent. You can get something like that from using a two layer shader, and the difference in the height maps will be used to resolve the blend between the layers.

Patryzzjuhh likes this.
  25. Patryzzjuhh

Patryzzjuhh

OMG thank you soooooo much! Thanks to this comment my mind suddenly clicked into the solution for my problem :D now that I think about it I feel so stupid for not figuring out sooner that all I needed was to invert the heightmap... :$

Thanks a bunch!! My perfectionism for today is cured XD I can get really upset if something ends up working not right, even if it's minor things like texture layering.. hehe..
    Have a nice evening!

26. neoshaman

neoshaman

Flat/noInterpolation keyword T_T ... I feel trolled lol
    Doubly so, because I'm trying to do it in open gl 2.0 ... it's there in 1.1 and in 3.0 but not in 2.0 /rage
    And I'm almost (?) close to an analytical solution but I hate math, so I'm going slow

27. jbooth

jbooth

No interp won’t actually work, because you need the info for all 3 vertices of the triangle, not just the current value without interpolation.

neoshaman likes this.
  28. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Hi, Im working on a procedural generator specifically for megasplat meshes. Just confused on a little thing. What exactly are the vertex weights that the documentation refers to? What does megasplat use this for?

29. jbooth

jbooth

Filtering textures. If they aren't there, then when you have a face with texture 0 on one vertex and texture 7 on another, it will display textures 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 across that face instead of blending 0 and 7..

30. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Okay, thank you.

31. thestrandedmoose

thestrandedmoose

Hi Jason,

I did this and it was not working. Also made sure the shader was set to Mesh. All I'm seeing is a dark gray material with vertex animation (looks like a sine wave). I cannot paint on the material (even when using the texture array from your example. Not sure why this is happening.

I saw you did a patch recently so I will try again with the updated version

32. DrInternet

DrInternet

Hello,

I still can't use texture graph in megasplat. I'm not sure whether issue I described 2 months ago is fixed or not, as now I can't even right-click in texture graph window.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.GUIScaleUtility.get_getTopRectScreenSpace () (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/Utilities/GUI/GUIScaleUtility.cs:26)
    JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.GUIScaleUtility.GUIToScreenSpace (Vector2 guiPosition) (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/Utilities/GUI/GUIScaleUtility.cs:378)
    JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.GenericMenu.Show (Vector2 pos, Single MinWidth) (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/Utilities/GUI/OverlayGUI.cs:357)
    JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditorInputSystem.HandleContextClicks (JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditorInputInfo inputInfo) (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/Framework/NodeEditorInputSystem.cs:264)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Delegate.cs:443)
    System.MulticastDelegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MulticastDelegate.cs:71)
    System.Delegate.DynamicInvoke (System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Delegate.cs:415)
    JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditorInputSystem.CallEventHandlers (JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditorInputInfo inputInfo, Boolean late) (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/Framework/NodeEditorInputSystem.cs:115)
    JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditorInputSystem.HandleInputEvents (JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditorState state) (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/Framework/NodeEditorInputSystem.cs:174)
    JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditor.DrawSubCanvas (JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeCanvas nodeCanvas, JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditorState editorState) (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/Framework/NodeEditor.cs:157)
    JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditor.DrawCanvas (JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeCanvas nodeCanvas, JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.NodeEditorState editorState) (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/Framework/NodeEditor.cs:124)
    JBooth.MegaSplat.NodeEditorFramework.MegaSplatTextureGraphWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/Node_Editor/MegaSplatTextureGraphWindow.cs:182)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

Unity 2018.2.5f1 and Megasplat 1.7

33. jbooth

jbooth

Last time I reproduced this I had to delete the last saved graph for it to work; something about it being updated from 5.6 to 2018 messes with the data, but after doing that the graph opened fine. I might just remove the functions that load the last graph, because unfortunately I don’t have a way to control how Unity modifies the data when it upgrades.

Can you post an image of your material settings?

34. DrInternet

DrInternet

This is not about upgrading the project (at least not now). I create a new project, import megasplat, open texture graph window, rightclick and boom: error and no context TG menu.

EDIT: I just tried 2018.2.6, same problem.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  35. jbooth

jbooth

Managed to repro this and take a look at it. There's some stuff with the low level graph code that's not allowing menus to open either, so it's going to take some digging..

36. jbooth

jbooth

And fixed. Uploading to the asset store now, should be out early next week..

DrInternet likes this.
  37. rockin

rockin

Hi @jbooth!
    Is there a simple way to make:
    - the bottom layer textures to use UV1
    - the top layer textures to use UV Project Axis

I looked into custom functions and properties but it seemed I can't do that with their help :)

Thanks!

38. jbooth

jbooth

Not right now; what’s the use case?

39. rockin

rockin

Hi @jbooth! I am using MS to paint on a network of roads. I would like the bottom layer to use UV1 so that the road texture follows the winding road. On the top layer I want to paint in world space, so that I can smooth out intersections or blend with the terrain. Cheers!

40. magique

magique

@jbooth Is it OK to import Megasplat into a project that also has Microsplat? When I go to import, it shows that it wants to update to some newer shader files that are already in Microsplat so I didn't want to overwrite them if they are incompatible. See image:

upload_2018-9-2_13-18-10.png

41. jbooth

jbooth

It's trying to overwrite MicroSplat's which will cause an issue with MegaSplat. They must have the same GUID, so what you can do is install MegaSplat to a new project and then copy the files in manually such that it doesn't overwrite MicroSplat's files.

42. magique

magique

OK, thanks for the tip.

43. magique

magique

@jbooth, I tried your suggestion, but see 2 errors after copying the Megasplat folder back into the project that also has Microsplat. Here they are:

Shader error in 'MegaSplat/MegaSplat_TessMesh_fallback': undeclared identifier 'tex2DArray' at line 931 (on d3d11)

Shader error in 'MegaSplat/MegaSplat': undeclared identifier 'tex2DArray' at line 1187 (on d3d11)

I will probably use Megasplat in this project 100% in the near future so if I just need to remove Microsplat then I'll go ahead and do that, but I'd like to keep them both at least for the short term if possible.

[EDIT]
    I just removed Microsplat. Don't worry about the error.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  44. Emme73

Emme73

Hi, Jason, just downloaded the latest version of Megasplat, and getting this error. Before, I restarted Unity, because the Update gave me several errors that it couldnt create a UI for Megasplat, also due to namespace stuff or so...

Attached Files:

45. jbooth

jbooth

You have two copies of the files in your project..

46. DrInternet

DrInternet

OK, now when texture graph is somewhat working, let's get back to the 'upgrading' part. What exactly should I remove? I tried to delete LastSession.asset from scripts/editor/texturegraph/node_editor, but it changed nothing.

47. jbooth

jbooth

So what actual issue are you having? Cause it looks like you managed to create a graph and create nodes..

48. DrInternet

DrInternet

The problem is, texture graph is not painting as expected. As you can see in the screenshot, although both layers are set to cliff cluster, there is some grass on the terrain. Here's more ridiculous example:

Forest floor cluster is default one, nothing was changed there. Still, I don't think even one of those textures is the one set to the given cluster. Instead we see random textures from random entries in texture array.
    Of course manual painting is working correctly.

49. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Hi. Apologies if this has been asked already, I'm trying to find some more specific information regarding how I might go about using Megasplat with mesh terrains I've created using Terrain To Mesh. Does anyone know if this is possible? Terrain To Mesh (if you're unfamiliar) basically just creates a mesh from the terrain and then generates a big splatmap for it.

I noticed an earlier post in here (from 2016) where someone seemed to be having a similar issue to mine and the Megasplat dev was suggesting the possibility of adding some sort of snapshot mechanism for integrating terrains that are already painted/SplatMapped/whatever. Did this functionality ever make it into the Megasplat asset? If so I'd imagine it would make my life a whole lot easier..haha

Thanks to any and all that might have some information regarding this, your advice is greatly appreciated. :D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  50. jbooth

jbooth

Well, you'd have to run the resulting mesh through the mesh converter to use MegaSplat on it, but after that you could paint on it, etc. If you want to preserve the existing painting, then there's not a great workflow for that currently. The best conversion is from Terrain->MegaSplat terrain, though there exists some tools in the Utilities panel that can map color data to texture choices as well.