Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] MegaSplat, a 256 texture splat mapping system..

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Nov 16, 2016.

1. alyssas

alyssas

My version of Unity is 2017.1.1p3.

I can try to have a look at the texture file in something like Gimp.

2. hacker9001

hacker9001

how to add splatmap to megasplat terrain ? thanks :)

3. JBT27

JBT27

I'm using a terrain, but I'm getting these very regular and square-form splats when I paint. Brush falloff is at maximum, and neither brush flow nor blend target seem to help. This is a two layer map, and painting on the top layer. In fairness, the bottom layer allows better blending, so it seems. Just asking, as it's entirely possible I still haven't quite got what is happening :D Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. alyssas

alyssas

I opened the texture image in GIMP and used the eyedropper to grab the RGB values and here's what I'm seeing:

In a space that should be grass, with texture indices 13-15, the value is set to 20-22. This is the range for ice and snow, which is what I'm getting back.

Similarly, what should be sand at 45-46 is getting set to 65-67, mud and a rock texture I've added and what I'm seeing when I import the splatdata.

So it appears that yes, the texture is getting exported with the wrong values. Now, is there a way to fix it? Will I need to grab a different version of Unity, or adjust the texture files somehow?

Update: I installed the latest version of Unity and I am seeing the same problems.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  5. berdel

berdel

Hi! is this supported for android devices?? I saw some reviews that say so, we are trying microSplat to see if it works with our mobile VR workflow, so far it looks great in editor but once I build an apk the terrain looks white in the android phone. Is there something I need to tweak or set for this usage?

6. jbooth

jbooth

Do you run in gamma or linear for your rendering? I'm almost positive the code makes a new camera and renders those maps in linear explicitly, but perhaps it's using the main rendering paths space? index 22 would be about 13 if the gamma curve was applied.

I'll be back from vacation in a few days, and maybe we can set up a repro case to test..

7. jbooth

jbooth

Should work- lots of people using it on mobile- there was a bug in the previous revision of MicroSplat which would fail to compress the textures in some cases. You would see a ton of errors in the build log though if this was the case.

8. alyssas

alyssas

Aha! I am still not getting the desired result, but I'm getting closer to the solution.

Gamma must be the default option for color space in Unity because I loaded MegaSplat into a brand-new project in two different versions of Unity and have not changed any project settings.

I went into Project Settings > Player, and sure enough the Color Space was set to Gamma. Changing it to Linear didn't fix the problems, but I am now getting different incorrect textures that are closer to what they should be. Instead of indices 45-46 for sand, I am getting 53-54 for the snow and 'wasteland' textures. It looks like the grass is only shifted by one or two indices to the grass_stones. I don't see any other settings that appear related to gamma, though, so I'm not sure how to get that last little bit fixed.

Is there another gamma-related setting somewhere I can check for? I did re-export from the original mesh/splatdata after changing the color space and ensured the texture import settings were still set correctly.

Thanks again for your help so far; I don't want to interrupt your vacation. Take the time off you need and reply when you can.

9. jbooth

jbooth

Only in the textures; and technically in the file format itself but there’s not easy access to that. When I get home we can work out a repro..

10. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

FYI - Texture Graph is not working for me at all in Unity 2018.2.1f1 (64-bit) -- gives me repeated NULL errors at the console related to the UI scale utility and fails to initialize at all, so cannot work with it currently. Would be great if you can fix it soon, thanks!

11. jbooth

jbooth

If you delete the last session file in MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/TextureGraph/NodeEditor and it will open up. It seems something in Unity's versioning code isn't liking the file from 5.6.

12. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

OK thanks - will try that tonight and let you know if it works.

13. JBT27

JBT27

I have a problem with one terrain tile in a set of 16. I had to replace one of the tiles with a backup - I used a spline tool on it, clicked a revert button and the terrain got deformed. Whatever that was, I pulled a backup in, applied the same material and splat control and params, and that restored the terrain. However, Terrain Paint will not work on it now. It works fine on the other 15 but not this one. Any immediate thoughts on how I might get round this and restore painting without trashing its paint job, which is well advanced? Thanks. Using Unity 2018.2.1f1.

14. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

Hello,
    In asset store review, you replied that I can read the control texture from the material and read the pixels from it to determine if the pixel you are standing on has lava, water, etc.

Could you give a code snippet as an example? I could't find similar answers from your 85-page discussion forum. Thanks.

15. jbooth

jbooth

Well, first, the review you left was on MicroSplat, not MegaSplat, so I'm going to assume your working with MicroSplat. In that case, it depends on if you are dealing with dynamic streams/lava, or statically painted ones. For static ones, the control texture stores wetness, puddles, streams, and lava as weights in the RGBA channels of a texture respectively. You can grab this texture from the material on the terrain, convert your world position into pixel space, and sample the texture with GetPixel() to read the value at that given location. There are some helper functions (WorldPositionToTerrain I think it's called) used in MicroSplat's tools that will help you understand how to do the conversion if you are unsure of how that works.

16. Phatdevsies

Phatdevsies

Hey mate,

I am trying to use your asset for texturing my own custom meshes. Unfortunately when I attempt to convert the mesh into the format, it converts it, however does not appear in the viewport. as seen here
    https://i.imgur.com/xwaKpQZ.png

Selected is the file the environment splat spat out, but yet it shows nothing. (the environment below is the original mesh that I tried to convert)

I've tried a few other meshes but they do not work.

Some background information
    I am using blender and exporting to FBX
    I am using the latest Unity

17. jbooth

jbooth

You need to do the conversion and drag the resulting _splat object from the asset window into the viewport, or replace the pointer on your mesh filter to point to that object instead of the original. It does not convert them “in place” in the scene.

18. JBT27

JBT27

I just tried this, but it made no difference. The editor opens, but it only contains the node grid and the panel on the right, which is blank. No nodes, no right click menu, just lots of NullReferenceErrors.

19. JBT27

JBT27

I found a fix for this: used a backup :D

20. unity_D2JaUXOTIn_2xQ

unity_D2JaUXOTIn_2xQ

I see you have world position UV mapping for MicroSplat and blending of objects into terrain with an add-on for that.
    Would that be a thing for MegaSplat?
    It would save me a lot of time as I then won't have to figure out how to reverse engineer your system.
    I have already purchased MegaSplat. I was already considering using a 3D texture and an "texture index map" to do my own version of this, but saw your product and thought that that would probably save me a whole lot of headache with figuring out the details of such a system, not to mention the additional tools you already made that I would need. However, I see now that retweaking your solution isn't such a straight forward task.

Problem is just that I need it to work based on just a world position, so any object, being it a terrain plane mesh or an object residing on top of it, can pick up the right color/height offset/normal/rough/metal based solely on passing its world position into some shader function.

I have made my own terrain rendering, using virtual texturing and just rendering mesh planes with Graphics.DrawMeshInstanced() which uses an approach like that, so anything can pick up the color/normal/height offset of the terrain, but it is still missing a system for the splatmap.
    The terrain is going to be greatly varied and rather large, so we will need to be using probably over 100 different texture sets at some point, hence the need for your solution.

21. jbooth

jbooth

There's not a terrain blending module for MegaSplat- MegaSplat has to work on arbitrary meshes, and the technique used in MicroSplat only works on Unity terrains, so can make a lot of assumptions. There is a terrain blending example in the example folder, but it's done by making sure world space UVs are used, normals are aligned, etc. So not an easy thing like MicroSplat, where you just add a component to your object and you're done.

MegaSplat has world UV options, including triplanar.

22. unity_D2JaUXOTIn_2xQ

unity_D2JaUXOTIn_2xQ

Ah sorry, I think the sheer amount of information to process trying to understand your system made me a little narrow sighted.
    I spotted none of these!
    Will have a look at them and see...

So for the terrain, since you can not know the topology, or resolution at least, you must be doing something to "fake" this, which should also just be usable on another mesh of unknown topology, no? But then result is basically a planar projection.
    That is the part I wanna grab, pull out, implement with my own stuff and still have working with your painting and conversion tools.. (Or vice versa, as you do have that "custom code" feature...)

I grabbed MegaSplat because it does 256 different textures while MicroSplat does not do nearly as many. I think I understand at least the basics of what MegaSplat does but I have no idea what MicroSplat does.

And sorry if this one is also a bit obvious (and for just continuing with another question) but there should be a splat map importer somewhere, right?
    I am exporting splat maps from World Creator, which exports them as a splatmap for every 4 textures used, so right now it's 3 different splatmaps I need to import into a texture somewhere.

If this isn't implemented, can you point me to any code example, explanation or anything that I can use to make my own implementation?

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  23. jbooth

jbooth

To do seamless blending between two objects, you need to know a lot of information about the other object. How it's textured, what it's topology is, etc. The MicroSplat technique does this because it knows it's dealing with a height field with know UV layout, etc- but for arbitrary geometry, you'd need a lot more information (such as a distance field, UV information, texturing information, etc). The more of these you make known through things like world space UVs, etc, the easier it is to automate.

MicroSplat is closer to the Unity technique for terrains, where you have a splat map for every 4 textures you use with weights. It has some specific optimizations to make it faster than any other shader, but it's limited to 32 textures per terrain (8 splat maps). MegaSplat is a totally new technique, and required all new tools to allow it to work.

No, not directly. The best way to do it is to import them onto a Unity terrain however you were doing that before, then use the terrain conversion step to convert the terrain to MegaSplat format.

24. unity_D2JaUXOTIn_2xQ

unity_D2JaUXOTIn_2xQ

I'm currently digging through your MegaSplat shader to minimize it and get an understanding of it, but I am kind of hoping to make it work in the same "context" as MicroSplat. More precisely, moving data and sampling into textures instead of vertex information. Which are then sampled based on world space coordinates.
    I get that some of your "magic" is the way you handle not getting interpolated indices for the texture arrays, but I'll just have to come up with another solution to that.

Well it's a technique I am gonna need to learn to understand as I will have to make custom tools for it.

Yea that ain't gonna cut it. The plan is having a 6x6km terrain (about 4x4 miles..?) with a sub-1m-resolution.
    Also we will not be using Unity Terrain for rendering.

25. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @jbooth

I have imported MegaSplat to a new project in Unity 2018.1.1f1 and I see this error once imported:
    Assets / MegaSplat / Scripts / Editor / Utilities / TerrainToMegaSplatConfig.cs (301.35): error CS0117: `Noise 'does not contain a definition for` Generate'

Can you tell me how to fix it? Is MegaSplat ready for Unity 2018? Is it a project for PS4, does your Shader work for this platform?

regards

26. jbooth

jbooth

MegaSplat works under 2018, not sure why you’d see that error. As far as I know it works for PS4, as I know some people have used it, but I don’t have a PS4 developer account so I have no way to test myself.

27. ftejada

ftejada

@jbooth The Noise class does not have any function called Generate ()

That class "Noise" I imagine that it is created by you? ... But it does not have that function Generate () ...
    I've seen that the Noise class inherits from monoBehaviour ... Maybe that Generate () function is from MonoBehaviour ??

I'm going to delete MegaSplat and import again to see if it solves the problem ...

28. ftejada

ftejada

Hi again @jbooth

I have managed to import MegaSplat in another version of Unity, 2018.1.3f1 But I have a problem with puddles that do not show correctly with the lighting ...

When I go with my character in one direction the puddles receive well the lighting of the scene and the lantern, but when I go in the opposite direction, the puddles do not receive any illumination and they are all black.
    I have checked that the normal puddle texture is set in NormalMap, but I do not know if I am doing wrong or for some reason there is a problem with puddles.
    Could you tell me how to fix it?

I leave video.

regards

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  29. jbooth

jbooth

This is with Puddle mode set to stream, I'm assuming? Are you using my texture or did you create your own? What you might want to do is test in a less complex scene with each light type and make sure each light type is responding the way you think they should (point, direction, spot, etc). That might isolate down the problem.

30. ftejada

ftejada

Ok. I'm going to try what you indicate

regards

31. JLO

JLO

Hi @jbooth I just like to also report that Megasplat doesn't properly work in Unity 2018.2. I have 5 compiler errors I can't clear.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  32. Bodyclock

Bodyclock

Hi Jason,

I've just bought Megasplat, primarily to use with Map Magic and Voxeland. I haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet but one thing I was wondering was if the Wind Particulate feature of Microsplat has an equivalent in Megasplat. I couldn't see it mentioned. If not, is it something I could put together myself in Megasplat?

Cheers

Chris

33. jbooth

jbooth

Hmm. Thought I issued a patch for that already but maybe I just fixed it and haven’t uploaded it yet. I’ll double check and do that.

JLO likes this.
  34. jbooth

jbooth

There’s no equivalent but you could write your own using the custom code option..

35. thestrandedmoose

thestrandedmoose

Hi Jason,
    I just purchased Megasplat and can't seem to figure out how to get painting a mesh to work.. Maybe this is a dumb question, but what am I doing wrong?
    I started by converting the mesh to a splat.asset file using the MegaSplat converter. Then I opened vertex paint and selected the mesh and hit "Active".
    Then I loaded your example array and tried to paint but nothing is happening... Do I need to assign some sort of material to my mesh first? I tried finding the shader you mentioned in your tutorial but it does not exist in my project. I am using Unity 2017.2 on Mac

36. jbooth

jbooth

Yes, you need to create a material and MegaSplat shader for it. This is described in the quick start section of the manual.

37. bmeijer

bmeijer

Hi Jason, is there a trial available for the plugin?

38. jbooth

jbooth

Nope, but the core version of MicroSplat is free..

bmeijer likes this.
  39. SemaphoreStudios

SemaphoreStudios

40. bmeijer

bmeijer

Hi Jason,

Is there any way to increase the painting resolution for a low-poly mesh? For instance, if I want to paint on a very large quad, am I limited to painting to the 4 vertices or is there a way to increase the number of vertices when I'm converting the mesh to the megasplat format? Or is it possibile to paint to a texture?

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  41. jbooth

jbooth

This has been discussed a ton in this thread; it’s possible to do, but not automatic like with MicroSplat..

Subdivide the mesh in your modeling app. I have a texture backed technique for MicroSplat, but have not released it yet.

bmeijer likes this.
  42. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @jbooth !
    I left the problem of the puddels momentarily parked to resume later.

But a problem is happening to me and I wanted to know if you can help me a little ...

I have my base project in the Unity 2017.1.1f1 version and I have imported Mega Splat. The fact is that when I try to give the tab "Utility" of Terrain Paint I miss these errors in the console and do not leave the options of the "Utility" tab:
    IMG-20180818-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180819-WA0003.jpg

I deleted the MegaSplat version that I imported into the project and downloaded the latest version of the store and the same problem continues.

I have also tried one of you example scenes and the same error happens.

Greetings.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  43. abramelingames

abramelingames

Hi @jbooth

I'm considering including megasplat in my project, but I'm honestly finding it impossible to convert terrain, any ideas on how to solve these errors?

Code (CSharp):
    1. ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    2. System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Assembly.cs:371)
    3. JBooth.TerrainPainter.TerrainPainterWindow.<InitPluginUtilities>m__0 (System.Reflection.Assembly x) (at Assets/MegaSplat/TerrainPainter/Editor/TerrainPainter_GUI.cs:629)
    4. System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectManyIterator>c__Iterator12`2[System.Reflection.Assembly,System.Type].MoveNext ()
    5. System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateWhereIterator>c__Iterator1D`1[System.Type].MoveNext ()
    6. System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator10`2[System.Type,System.Object].MoveNext ()
    7. JBooth.TerrainPainter.TerrainPainterWindow.InitPluginUtilities () (at Assets/MegaSplat/TerrainPainter/Editor/TerrainPainter_GUI.cs:634)
    8. JBooth.TerrainPainter.TerrainPainterWindow.DrawUtilityGUI () (at Assets/MegaSplat/TerrainPainter/Editor/TerrainPainter_GUI.cs:648)
    9. JBooth.TerrainPainter.TerrainPainterWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/MegaSplat/TerrainPainter/Editor/TerrainPainter_GUI.cs:588)
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    11. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    12. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    13. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    14. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:272)
    15. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:265)
    16. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:232)
    19. GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)
    20. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

44. jbooth

jbooth

This might be the error reported above with the latest 2018.2?

45. abramelingames

abramelingames

I'm using 2017.1.1f1
    Maybe some incompatibility with some other asset? in an empty project there seem to be no problems when converting terrain. The problem is in my current project

46. Patryzzjuhh

Patryzzjuhh

Hello @jbooth

So i am working together with someone on a project and i am in charge of the terrain decoration and painting and such. I have been trying to use MegaSplat but sadly the terrain stays black. I tried changing the Player mode and the emulation is set to no emulation but still the terrain remained black. Also did i notice that the megasplat shader that is created is listed in failed to compile when i try to manually select it after making another material. The Console log said something about a script not initializing? -->'projectuvs': output parameter 'tangent' not completely initialized at line 920. I am not really the programmer so i do not know what it meant.. I am currently not near my PC otherwise i could have told you the exact script it send me to. If you need this I will check it as soon as i am home.
    I am currently working on the newest Unity. 2018.2.4, maybe it has something to do with that?

I hope you can help me further!

Kind regards, Patricia

47. jbooth

jbooth

I’d need more concrete info to help. Like, do the demo scenes work, what is the actual error, what API does Unity say its using on the title bar, what are the settings used on the materials shader settings, etc.

48. Emme73

Emme73

Hi, Jason ! First, thanks for Megasplat. I have trouble getting an imported mesh to work with Megasplat. I get a shader warning "Unity_Pass_FORWARDADD: macro redefinition at line 6537 (on d3d11)". I also followed each step very precisely, but I can not paint on my "landscape_splat" mesh (material is right, UVs exist, its an imported fbx).I have been working with Unity quite some time now, but somehow I feel I am missing something here.The defrom brush feature works, but painting just doesnt show up.It does work with the example scene, though.

Edit: got it working, but I needed to not only add the shader Megasplat/Megasplat, but also the Element Megasplat_Example to the Mesh.I figured it out by comparing slot by slot my object with the example terrain.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    jbooth likes this.
  49. Patryzzjuhh

Patryzzjuhh

I have checked all the example scenes and they all seem to work fine. The API Unity is using is DX11. when I try convert my own terrain with megasplat everything seems fine except that it turns pink ( I fixed this by turning down the base map dist. in terrain settings see pic 1) but this error comes:

Shader error in 'MegaSplat/Terrain_11100_pve_01p_siegeofhope': 'ProjectUVs': output parameter 'tangent' not completely initialized at line 920 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDBASE DIRECTIONAL
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

Then when i check my shader/material, the shader is listed under failed to compile, so there are no settings? (pic 2)

Thank you in advance, i hope this helped you understand my problem better :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  50. jbooth

jbooth

Sounds like maybe Unity tweaked the shader compiler again? I’ll check on that version of Unity when I get back to land next week and upload a patch.