Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] MegaSplat, a 256 texture splat mapping system..

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Nov 16, 2016.

1. jbooth

jbooth

If the compressed textures are 400mb in your texture compression format, then 400mb.

2. recon0303

recon0303

Hi Jason, I know I asked you about Substances a few weeks ago, but is there anything else you may need, as we are working with them closely to get this handled, if you do , by all means let me know I would be happy to pass this on.

Also, question, I was told that no matter what you have no intentions, to bringing support back in the future? I just wanted to double check, before we spend more time. If so that is fine, its your tool. I just wanted to be sure . So we can plan a head of time, on what we need to do regarding mega splats. with our current game.. I know you DO NOT have what you need right now. This is why we are working with them, to get this under control for our selves and for asset developers who may want to support Substances in 2018 + .

Just let me know and I will pass on any more info. I know about the things you stated before regarding, #DEFINE and such, is there anything else? By all means, let me know and I will pass it on.. If you have no plans to ever support Substance again, then disregard my post. Thanks a lot Jason.

3. jbooth

jbooth

It’s really up to them to define an api we can use to get the data from, and defined so we can conditionally compile that code when their plugin is installed.

recon0303 likes this.
  4. recon0303

recon0303

Yup, I just wanted to be sure if there was anything else you may need. and I wanted to be sure that someone gave me correct information or not. about what your plans are or not. I heard from someone saying this, I know some people may have wrong information so I like to get information again from the source. like your self. anyways I will keep you informed on our progress. with getting what is needed if you like.

The devs where just asking if we wanted something else specifically as some may want something on top of that.

5. Mister_Horrible

Mister_Horrible

I'm getting some very odd results when trying to use a triplanar setup. The object on the left is using another triplanar shader and the one on the right is using megaSplat. Have I set up something incorrectly? megaSplatHelp.PNG

6. jbooth

jbooth

Looks like you didn't preprocess the mesh.

7. christougher

christougher

Hi, I recently updated my project to Unity 2017.4.5f1 and updated Microsplat as well. The release notes on the UAS say to update the texture arrays, but I can't seem to find where to update. Anywho, two of the four textures show up as plain black and I get two errors when I click on the MicroSplat material asset:

Graphics.CopyTexture can only copy between same texture format groups (d3d11 base formats: src=0 dst=27)

Thx!

8. jbooth

jbooth

To update the texture arrsys, select the TextureArrayConfig asset in the MucroSplatData directory and press Update.

9. christougher

christougher

Thx for the speedy reply. That doesn't seem to fix the problem though. When I change Blend quality from Fastest to Best Quality everything shows up fine. I'm developing for mobile so I have to be careful with quality... is this a bug?

10. jbooth

jbooth

Possibly; I’ll see if I can repro; what is max texture count set to?

11. christougher

christougher

12. jbooth

jbooth

Pretty sure this is fixed but not released yet. I did a small mobile optimization for work which doesn’t work for the lower blend quality cases. However, I suspect if you have max 4 textures, then setting blend quality to best is going to be faster than setting it to fastest because it won’t have to sort the weights, which can be expensive on low end GPUs. So what the new code does is only do the optimization in cases with 4 textures and best blend quality, otherwise it’s forced to sort.

Anyway, this will be fixed in the next update, but for now use best blending or set max textures to 8 if you want the faster blending (max textures is a minor optimization)

13. Ascensi

Ascensi

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  14. hacker9001

hacker9001

when i exported the terrain and megasplat to other computer , the textures that i painted doesn't appear ?

15. jbooth

jbooth

Did you press save on the terrain painter?

16. hacker9001

hacker9001

thank you, i fixed it :),

17. Captaingerbear

Captaingerbear

I just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying the results of incorporating Megasplat into my workflow. There was definitely a learning curve, but now that I've got the swing of it, I have endless procedural terrain that I'm really happy with. It's forced me to be really mindful of how I design my height maps in particular, since they're so important for texture blending, but I'm getting pretty excited about where it's going. Here's a shot.

All my textures were made from scratch in Substance Designer (And then exported as individual maps, due to the current status of Substance support)

Thanks for this amazing package!

18. hacker9001

hacker9001

i use bitmap2material to make new texture, but there are 15 maps @@ , how do i import them to use in megasplat ?

19. jbooth

jbooth

Read the docs on how to add textures to MegaSplat's TextureArrayConfig

20. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Hi There!

I have purchased Mega Splat and i am quite pleased with it and when i saw your wind effect module for Micro Splat i thought to myself i am sure this will surely become available for Mega Splat as well. But reading this gives me the chills that this is not very likely. Do not misunderstand i am very happy to pay extra for this capability which would give great effect to my dozens of desert and arctic terrains painted with your Mega Splat.

I beg of you please consider making a module for Mega Splat with this effect!!!!!

21. hacker9001

hacker9001

is channel packer still useful for megasplat ?
    with B2M i have trouble with roughness map

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  22. hacker9001

hacker9001

i figured out that i have to set texture type to normal map ^^

23. jbooth

jbooth

No, there’s a built in packing system now; no need to pack your maps anymore.

MegaSplat is not a modular system like MicroSplat, so it would be a lot of effort to modularize it. Additionally, some modules take advantage of only working on Terrains with MicroSplat, where as MegaSplat needs to work on arbitrary meshes (ie: terrain blending, etc)

24. franky_li

franky_li

Hi Jason,

after updating to 2.1 I have an error in MicroSplat.shader:
    Shader error in 'MicroSplat/Terrain': 'Setup': output parameter 'config' not completely initialized at line 299 (on d3d11)

Any suggestions how to solve this?

25. jbooth

jbooth

Can you show me which features are enabled?

26. franky_li

franky_li

Hi Jason,

sorry, I just realized that I've written in the wrong forum, it's a MicroSplat issue. But anyway here is my configuration:
    MicroSplatConfig.png

27. jbooth

jbooth

Submitting a fix for this (I think anyway, no DX11 machine with me on the road)- not sure why it wouldn't have gone off in the previous version, the DX11 compiler can be pretty finicky though.

28. adndima

adndima

That's the kind of problem I've got, MegaSplat does not work Unity 2018.2.0f2
    And another question. Can MegaSplat work directly with Vegetation Studio?
    Or is MicroSplat for this more suitable?
    I just bought MegаSplat and now I do not know what is better?

29. jbooth

jbooth

Ok, looks like they changed the API and don't have the autoupdater updating the changes. I'll fix this up and submit a patch in the next few days.

In terms of recommendations, for Unity terrain work I personally recommend MicroSplat. If you need mesh based workflows or greater than 32 textures on a terrain, then MegaSplat is really the only option. (There's a comparison chart on the website, btw)

adndima likes this.
  30. jbooth

jbooth

Looks like you didn't let Unity's script updater run..

adndima likes this.
  31. adndima

adndima

What can I do now to correct this mistake?

32. adndima

adndima

I understand that the megasplat does not have these functions, like the microsplat?

33. jbooth

jbooth

I believe you can run the script updated manually from the menu..

34. jbooth

jbooth

MegaSplat has some pertexture properties that you can enable, but far less than MicroSplat.

35. JBT27

JBT27

Bit of a generic one for now, but I mentioned some time ago that the Texture Graph, in 2018.1.0f2, is really not responding well, or predictably, to the point that I have stopped using it. It might be me, or something I am doing, who knows, but I think when I done with this job, I'll put a vid up of all the problems - much easier than explaining everything. Also, on a cosmetic point, it retains the interface colours of the free version of Unity - it's usable, but white text on a pale grey background could be improved. Sliders are not active, so many values have to be typed in. I really hope this can be resolved because it's such a good part of MegaSplat.

36. jbooth

jbooth

Now that 2018.2 is out I’ll take a look and see if they broke something.

JBT27 likes this.
  37. JBT27

JBT27

Great. Thank you.

38. Tinder-Red

Tinder-Red

Hello. I got this fatal error when a want to add a texture (2048x2048) The Last one. Megasplat error.jpg

39. alyssas

alyssas

Hey,

Apologies if this has been answered in the thread -- I tried using the search and could not find anything relevant. I have a fully textured set of meshes for my terrain that are working great, and want to fix some small issues with the meshes and reimport them.

I followed the steps in one of your videos (it's in the middle of the one about Texture Graphs, I believe) to export the SplatData to a texture and it seems to work perfectly on export. The resulting texture appears to be correct for the mesh I have selected. However, when I try to reapply the SplatData, even on the exact same mesh, I get all the wrong textures applied to my mesh. The patterns are the same so it is loading *something* correctly, but, for example, in a space that should have sand I am getting a dirt texture instead, and in places where I have grass, I am getting this blue icy texture. It looks like the data is correct but the wrong textures are being assigned.

The materials are the same, as are the shaders as far as I can tell. I have even gone as far as to wipe out my Megasplat Files, re-import, and then pull back in my terrain prefab and associated materials. It is a rather large set of meshes. Retexturing it all would take quite a while, so I would really like to get this working if I can.

Thanks for your time.

40. jbooth

jbooth

Is the splatdata texture set to linear (sRGB off)? Because if it’s being gamma corrected that would mess up the indices.

41. alyssas

alyssas

Yes. I followed the instructions given in the video as well as I could, though the interface in Unity has a changed a bit since it was recorded. I have turned off "Generate Mip Maps", unchecked sRGB, set the Wrap Mode to "Clamp" and Filter Mode to "Point (no filter)".

I was not sure what "Texture Type" should be set to, so I left it as "default" as well as leaving "texture shape" on 2D. I have fiddled with the settings a bit in my efforts but don't see any difference at all in either the texture preview or the when I redo the import from the Splat Data texture.

Is there anything else I should be looking at in these import settings?

42. jbooth

jbooth

The texture indices being off would make me think it was a gamma issue- perhaps the best way to debug it is see if there's a pattern- like maybe everything is one off, etc..

43. alyssas

alyssas

I think I actually did find a discrepancy between the texture array list I am using now and the texture array that I initially painted the terrain with. It's pretty late for me so I'll have to keep messing with it tomorrow, but thank you so much for your help. You really pointed me in the right direction.

44. alyssas

alyssas

Me again!

I got my texture array issues sorted out, but unfortunately it did not solve my issue with the wrong textures being applied. One thing that occurred to me was that I wasn't sure how it assigns the values for textures on the export? Perhaps the SplatData is importing fine, but it is being exported wrong?

Before, I had an outdated 'texlist' asset with a texture array that I had adjusted slightly (so some of the textures were in the texture array, but not the texlist), but even after pulling in the correct assets I am seeing the exact same issue.

Is there anything specific I need to have in place for the export to assign the texture indices properly? Just in case, I made sure the Vertex Painter tool had the same brush/material selected with all the textures I used initially. I have also verified that if I paint on the terrain it does apply the correct textures, including the textures I added during the initial paint, at the end of the default list. I'm sure after all this effort it's going to end up being something silly that I'm doing wrong but I am not sure what else to look at.

45. Tinder-Red

Tinder-Red

Hello. I got this fatal error when a want to update a texture (2048x2048) The Last one. View attachment 287495

46. jbooth

jbooth

Looks like your out of memory or over some max buffer size. How many textures and of what size are they?

47. jbooth

jbooth

No, it just writes the index numbers to the texture and reads them back. They are in a 0-1 space, so texture index 10 would be 10/255, essentially. The most likely case of these being changed is gamma correction, which would warp the values along a pow(v, 2) curve, roughly.

48. Tinder-Red

Tinder-Red

I have all your textures + 7 from me. 66 in total exclusive Normal, Height, AO......
    All mijn texture is now 1024x1024.
    Can I use 2048x2048 textures size?
    Thx for your time.

49. alyssas

alyssas

I'm about to just give up and re-paint the edited meshes by hand because I really need to move on from this task, but I thought I would try here one more time.

Here is a screenshot from my project. At the top left you can see the correct textures on a different mesh, and then the bottom right is the mesh I have tried importing SplatData on.

For this, I have render baked and imported on the exact same mesh, and have not changed anything else, but it imports different texture data somehow. Before exporting/importing, it was all painted correctly just like the mesh in the upper left.

You said this was likely due to gamma correction, but is there anything else that would be doing that except for the sRGB setting that you mentioned before? I have tried importing with that setting checked AND unchecked and do not see any difference at all. In my desperation I have tried every combination of import settings I can imagine but I get this same result every time. texture_splatdata_settings.png

50. jbooth

jbooth

It’s possible that your particular version if Unity is applying gamma when writing out the file. I had this issue for a while with EXR files, but I’m pretty sure they took uses png and I’m not aware of unity breaking anything with that export format recently. But other than that, it’s the only thing I can think of. What version of unity are you using? Have you tried loading the file into photoshop and checking the values to see if they match the ones in your arrays? That could limit down the potential area in which its getting warped.