Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] MegaSplat, a 256 texture splat mapping system..

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Cgflux

Cgflux

@jbooth ok thanks. So can you tell me how can I cover my terain with grass? Maybe first i should cover my terrain with grass and than convert to megasplat and create texture?

2. jbooth

jbooth

Just use the standard terrain tools to do that, or use vegetation studio if you need something more advanced (VS populates grass and vegetation based on your textures, so as you paint down grass, it puts grass models on it, etc).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  3. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

Documatation problem: no content in the biginning of pdf files:

MegaSplat Documentation.pdf
    MegaSplatTextureGraph.pdf

If I need some specific information, I need to search the whole doc for it. In particular, I need info about how to apply megasplat to runtime-generated terrain.

4. magic9cube

magic9cube

Just thought i'd give you the good news and my thanks. It works! Managed to fumble my way through it but now i have a reasonable understanding of those fragment files. It's a very flexible system, nice work!
    megasplat-custom-tint.jpg

jbooth likes this.
  5. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Thanks man -- so I reset Unity to default settings, made sure that all files were the same as master apart from MegaSplat and still get the same results. Have tried tweaking all quality and light settings to no avail.

As per my previous post, I get this with the MegaSplat demo scenes in a clean Unity project. If you load the 'UnityTerrainTessellation' demo and turn on the soft and hard shadows option do you see it too? If not then it must be Unity version related?

6. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

We are working on procedurally generated mesh terrain and have problem with the rule "each triangle must have red, green and blue vertices". It's not always possible to do this because in our terrain quads splitted to triangles in different way (from bottom-left corner to top-right corner or from top-left corner to bottom-right corner) to reduce toothing on steep slopes which is usual for standard unity terrain. Also, diffferent tile lods are stitched. The scripts are already rather complex and we would like to avoid alternating mesh vertices.

Is it posible to modify shader such what it will not require different vertices colors for each triangle (probably with less shader control options)?

7. jbooth

jbooth

Theres an option to do the preprocessing right in the shader, but this invokes the geometry shader to do the work, which is significantly slower that preprocessing the vertices. The vertex colors are required or you cannot filter the paint job data correctly, so one way or another it needs to be done..

8. jbooth

jbooth

So, in 5.6.1p2, this is what soft shadows look like on the Tessellated Terrain example for me:

What version of Unity are you on?

9. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Thanks man, this is helpful! Your screenshot looks different indeed (fine of course) -- I'll install the same Unity version as you and test again. I'm on Unity 5.6.4p4 (64-bit) here. Am wondering if something has got messed up with my installation now.

10. Ascensi

Ascensi

@jbooth Hi Jason is there a way to use just displacement no tessellation? would lowering tessellation down to 0 completely disable tessellation/gain performance as if the feature wasn't compiled and turned on? I think I can gain more performance using a hi poly mesh generation from Voxeland rather than using low poly and cranking up tessellation to max using HQ scanned textures and maybe use only a little tessellation rather than a lot as I would have to with low poly meshes. I'm using the asset "InstantOC" to gain more performance and have succeeded in Voxeland but I wonder if working like this with Megasplat with tessellation on high wouldn't matter using this technique - what do you think?
    Working with subdivided models in 3DCoat performed a lot better than using tessellation only on low poly models but then I tried medium poly models and used only a little tessellation which seemed to balance performance and stability.

11. jbooth

jbooth

Tessellation is not an LOD technique- turning on tessellation has a significant overhead, even if no extra triangles are generated - just invoking those stages in a shader has a cost. It is therefor best used as a way to add detail when up close, not as a way to allow you to use a lower polygon model and avoid classic LOD techniques.

12. Ascensi

Ascensi

In summary would you say that it doesn't matter what tessellation amount I set in Megasplat -it will still cost the same performance? There are tessellation shaders that function like an LOD system since it increases verts/detail up close but in the distance its level of tessellation is reduced and I thought the more tessellation you set the more the computer struggles to process.
    What I'm thinking is that I might be able to reduce the level of tessellation and processing for the closer objects with LOD0 with maybe higher than normal poly and not need to increase tessellation as much but in the distance LOD1 the shader is switched to a non tessellation mode. If I can get away with just using high enough polygons in the meshes then I wouldn't even need to use tessellation at all if I can just use non gpu displacement (sacrificing small project size for better performance) -because the meshes will be a lot more dense. Thank you. happy Holidays & new year!

13. jbooth

jbooth

If you turn up the tessellation rate it's definitely going to make the shader slower. What I'm saying is that there's a significant cost for running any tessellation, but even more cost when you turn it up higher. A lot of that cost isn't actually from the vertices, but actually from micro-shading issues caused by really small triangles. (Triangles that are really small cause the pixel shader to run up to 4x slower). If you need to increase detail levels beyond what you can afford to model, then tessellation makes sense as a technology. However, I don't think it makes a ton of sense to try to replace traditional LODs with it. There may be cases where that is a win, but I would expect that in most it makes more sense to have higher res non-tessellated geometry than lower-res tessellated geometry.

Ascensi and ftejada like this.
  14. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

I have experinced computer freeze during MegaSplat 1.61 test (Unity 2017.2.0f3). I have change fade near and far distance for macro texture at run time in editor several time, and finally computer freezed, only mouse cursor was active. I was able to reboot it only by reset button. During this test far and near fade distance sometime had not proper values (far distance was closer then near), and fading looked wrong.

15. jbooth

jbooth

It's possible by putting bad values in via code you created a divide by 0 error and crashed your GPU driver, or an INF or NAN value.. It's possible to protect against this, but adds instructions to the shader, so I generally validate this kind of stuff in the editor controls and expect that if you're going to set things via code that you know what your doing and don't put in values that the editor wouldn't let you put in.

16. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

So I'm still seeing issues -- have tried older versions of Unity, including same as your version. I'll create a simple demo project and send you that in the next few days. Thanks!

17. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Hi @jbooth -- please see the screenshots below. They are taken from new projects, with only the MegaSplat asset imported. I'm testing here in Unity 5.6.4p4 (64-bit), however get the same results in other prior Unity versions too.

I'm uploading the projects to Dropbox and will PM you the links once they are done.

Screenshots from the UnityTerrainTessellation demo scene, I tried to take the same area / rock for each.. so can compare. Note the lines on 1.6.1, which are not present in 1.1.4.
    • 2x from MegaSplat 1.1.4 in the UnityTerrainTessellation demo.
    • 2x from MegaSplat 1.6.1 in the UnityTerrainTessellation demo.
    IMG-MegaSplat-(v1.1.4)-Shadows-UnityTerrainTessellation-Screen-1-[27-Dec-2017].png IMG-MegaSplat-(v1.1.4)-Shadows-UnityTerrainTessellation-Screen-2-[27-Dec-2017].png IMG-MegaSplat-(v1.6.1)-Shadows-UnityTerrainTessellation-Screen-1-[27-Dec-2017].png IMG-MegaSplat-(v1.6.1)-Shadows-UnityTerrainTessellation-Screen-2-[27-Dec-2017].png

18. jbooth

jbooth

So I imported your 1.6.1 project into 2017.1.1.p3 (which is the closest I had installed to your version) and don't see the lines on my OSX machine. Have you tried this on a different machine to see if it's GPU related? And am I right that you only see these in soft shadow mode? (Note the shader has no code dealing with soft vs. hard shadows, and the code it does have for dealing with shadows is just calling into Unity's code).

It also kind of looks like some kind of banding from a precision issue, which could totally be dependent on GPU, but I have no idea why it would happen in one project vs. the other without a settings change though..

WildStyle69 likes this.
  19. Ascensi

Ascensi

@jbooth ok you're probably gonna say no but I'd be interested to find out if it was possible. Is it possible to bake out Megasplat from the Displacement to create new meshes from some kind of projection? (it's ok form me if they are dense within Unity's limit) I'm thinking that I could get some realistic terrain meshes from scanned displacement textures then perhaps use the asset crunch to decimate if needed but using InstantOC just like in the above video has allowed me to gain more performance over tessellation but really the purpose for me to do all this is to get the scanned texture details to pop out in VR and have great FPS.

20. jbooth

jbooth

There's nothing like this that I know of on the asset store - possible to write though, just a lot of work.

Ascensi likes this.
  21. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Thanks for checking things out further -- honestly not surprised it's still OK for you, but had to compare and send over to make sure.

Based on what you're saying there has to be something else, so I'll start looking in other areas. You're correct that the issue only happens with soft shadows enabled, changing the shadow resolution moves bands accordingly following the resolution, however no way to 'tweak' them out.

I'll test this on a different Windows machine later today and see if the results are the same, also will look at testing with 2017.1.1.p3, depending on my results for the first instance.

22. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

Two problems with big macro textures (resolution 4096, 8192).

1. The mode is fade splats to macro texture. Splats are not assigned yet and at close distance terrain mesh is displayed brown mud/rock texture with constant waterflow. At far distance macro texture fades to white, and it depends on macro texture resolution. 1024 has no visible problem, 2048 mostly too, 4096 very visible, 8192 almost completely white. The images below are arranged in order 1024, 2048, 4096 and 8192.

PS. The problem appears only with compressed macro texture (both low and high quality compression). Macro texture is generated at runtime.

2. I experienced complete system freeze (even no mouse move) then tried to focus on my player (splat textures are visible) from far distance (only macro texture is visible). Used reboot button.

fadeToWhite1024.jpg fadeToWhite2048.jpg fadeToWhite4096.jpg fadeToWhite8192.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  23. jbooth

jbooth

1) Sounds like you are not generating your mip maps correctly or something? The shader has no idea how big the texture is, it just samples the texture. Perhaps white a simple shader to show the different mips of the image so you can make sure your data is correct.

2) Could be from anything in your project or a Unity bug- without logs or some clue indicating that this is somehow related to MegaSplat, there's nothing for me to look into.

24. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

Looks like "fade mipmaps to grey" automatically activated for compressed texture. These big macro textures are displayed correctly at relatively close range. And even no property in Texture2D to disable this mipmap fading.

25. jbooth

jbooth

You have to set the texture to have mip maps and use the appropriate Apply() overload to generate the mip maps before you compress the texture. If you compress the texture before Apply, no mip maps will be present and you'll blend to whatever data is in the buffer..

26. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

Thank you. Just found a fix.

globalDiffuseMap.SetPixels (diffuseColors); // set pixels mip0

globalDiffuseMap.Apply (
    updateMipmaps: true,
    makeNoLongerReadable: false);

globalDiffuseMap.Compress (highQuality: false);

globalDiffuseMap.Apply (
    updateMipmaps: true,
    makeNoLongerReadable: true);

27. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Hi @jbooth -- so I've tested on another clean Windows box today, in Unity 5.6.4p4 (64-bit) with MegaSplat 1.6.1. I'm getting exactly the same shadow striping issue. Have also tried Unity 2017.1.1.p3 and get the same results there.

Also noticed when testing in VR that I could see vertex seams on the terrain, very faintly. Similar to the problem we had in the past, but not as visible.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...at-mapping-system.441329/page-60#post-3238547

So I'm now at a loss... have no idea where to go from here, apart from back to the old MegaSplat version and stay there.

28. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Not sure if you can share some other, prior MegaSplat versions with me, so I can try and track when exactly it started? My current is 1.1.4.

29. jbooth

jbooth

I can add you to the github repro if you'd like to check different versions, just sign up for an account there and send me your user name and I'll add you. I don't check in one : one with the asset store versions, but it's likely the best way to compare.

The most substantial change is obviously the 1.5 upgrade with the texture packer, but it would be good to know if the version right before that is fine. I really don't understand what would have changed which would create banding of the shadow data, and the fact that you only see it with soft shadows really confuses me as the shader itself doesn't do anything but call into Unity's functions for that. That said, one thought to eliminate possibilities would be to set both the source textures and texture array settings to uncompressed. If, for instance, you were using something like MSEO packing in the previous version, then the quality of the normal could be slightly reduced and *maybe* it's manifesting as some kind of banding of the data which *maybe* is causing some issue in the lighting response of those pixels. Either way, since it's in the shadow pass, it seems unlikely, but maybe worth a try.

30. Pollawat

Pollawat

Hello, my name is Pollawat. I not good at English so, sorry about that.

I got a trouble with the shade of my terrain after updated to Unity lasted version (Old version is 2017.2.03f) and for now, it looks like this

While last week it looks like this (the video used to solve the problem with Ootii camera controller)

Please help, I spend more than 10hrs to solve this and I try to downgrade Unity for now. (Downgrade can cause another problem)

31. jbooth

jbooth

Unity broke some macros in 2017.3; I submitted a patch for this last week, but it seems everyone at the asset store is out for vacation. If you send me your invoice, I can package up the patch for you and send it over in the morning.

In general, I would advise not updating to new Unity versions until they have patched them a few times, as they tend to have issues.

Pollawat likes this.
  32. Pollawat

Pollawat

Glad to hear it, you always answer the question so fast. Really appreciate that.

Anyway, if the patch is on its way, it's okay for me, I can wait.

Thank you so much.

33. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Thanks man -- I'll PM you my GitHub account shortly.

Did try building the texture arrays uncompressed, however get an overflow when doing that and Unity crashes.

GB-IMG-Mega-Splat-Uncompressed-Issue-31-Dec-2017-1.png

Once I get access to GitHub will track this down, not giving up! Thanks.

34. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Actually, good news (of sorts) -- just discovered my old MegaSplat upgrade branch on git, that was in Unity 5.6.3p4 (64-bit) using MegaSplat 1.5.2. This branch / version does not have a problem with the shadow stripes, however it does have the vertex seams on the terrain as referenced in my previous posts. This was the branch from my first attempt at upgrading a few months ago.

So anyway, this narrows the window quite a bit, so hopefully will be easier to track things down! :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  35. Dark-Muppeteer

Dark-Muppeteer

Hi,

Happy new year!

I'm getting an error when trying to follow these instructions to create a color mask: (Unity 2017.3.0f3)
    https://www.awesometech.no/index.php/vegetation-color-mask-setup-with-microsplat

The error occurs when I select the Vegetation Studio GrassMap checkbox in the MicroSplat inspector, and then whenever I check/uncheck any other options.

The Background section in the Vegetation Color Mask Creator then does not appear. (not sure if actually related, asking atm over at the Vegetation Studio Discord channel)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    JBooth.MicroSplat.MicroSplatVegetationStudio.WriteProperties (System.String[] features, System.Text.StringBuilder sb) (at Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/VegetationStudio/Editor/MicroSplatVegetationStudio.cs:162)
    MicroSplatShaderGUI+MicroSplatCompiler.WriteProperties (System.String[] features, System.Text.StringBuilder sb, Boolean blendable) (at Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/MicroSplatShaderGUI_Compiler.cs:290)
    MicroSplatShaderGUI+MicroSplatCompiler.Compile (System.String[] features, System.String name, System.String baseName, Boolean blendable) (at Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/MicroSplatShaderGUI_Compiler.cs:353)
    MicroSplatShaderGUI+MicroSplatCompiler.Compile (UnityEngine.Material m, System.String shaderName) (at Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/MicroSplatShaderGUI_Compiler.cs:435)
    MicroSplatShaderGUI.TriggerCompile () (at Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/MicroSplatShaderGUI.cs:202)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallDelayFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:136)

Any assistance appreciated, I've tried on a couple of different scenes/terrains so far and I have the latest 1.7 version of MicroSplat and various add-ons.

36. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Hi @jbooth -- thanks for sharing git repository access, think I may have tracked down where it was introduced. I tested all commits from 1.5.1 up to the commit for 'MegaSplat 5.6 upgrade'. I had to rebuild the MegaSplat terrain shader by unchecking/checking the 'Tessellate Shadow Pass' box and then the problem showed up in the 'MegaSplat 5.6 upgrade' commit, so at least that confirms it's shader and not texture packing related.

Also - still noticing the vertex seams issue though, is that still a known issue, or supposed to be fixed already?

37. gio_987654321

gio_987654321

Hello Jason .

i hope a beautiful new year for you !

i ve find an old topic about an error CS0117 :
    Assets/MegaSplat/Scripts/Editor/Utilities/TerrainToMegaSplatConfig.cs(300,35): error CS0117: `Noise' does not contain a definition for `Generate'

I ve got the same error . and like you told : it seems a name conflict ..

I explain : I have a A project ( without problem ) . I ve duplicate it for a B project .

i ve worked on this B project for a special scene ( I ve deleted the megasplat folder on project B there is a moment to clean it ). and now i want to export this special scene( from B project) on the A project .

.But now , its impossible to play the project A with this scene project B due to this error CS0117 .

I ve tried all the day to solve it .

i tried to export the B scene on a blanck project ans reexport it . but same problem .
    worth..: when i want to reinstall Megasplat on project B ive got the same error code ...

how can i fix it ? is there a solution ? i lose many time on time , i m a few deseperate .
    by advance
    Thank you

GiO

38. lorenzodom

lorenzodom

Hi Jason, and happy new year to everyone!!

Great tool!!, I'm loving the results, but I'm having some issues maybe someone here could help me, I'm using microsplat(free) + Microsplat-Tessellation and Parallax.

The terrain textures were made in megascan.

1-Ugly Lines:

[/IMG]

2- Unity Default deform tool not showing correctly:

This is my current microsplat material configuration, maybe i'm doing something wrong.

39. jbooth

jbooth

So, Unity has this issue that if you rename a file (which renames the meta file), when that package is installed from the asset store, it will write the data over the old file instead of creating or renaming it to the new name. A while back I renamed the file used in this section of the code, and since you likely upgraded from some previous version, it's not unable to find the correct file. Anyway, if you delete your installation of MicroSplat core and reinstall it, it should get the correct file name and fix this issue.

40. jbooth

jbooth

Most likely you have 2 copies of Noise.cs in your tree. Search for it in the project window and see if there's more than one copy. The version in MegaSplat is namespaced, so the most likely case is that some kind of meta file conflict happened and the files got messed up when you imported them into the same project. You might have to delete both of the offending files and re-install the assets..

41. jbooth

jbooth

See the note in the documentation about Per-Texture UVs. If you are going to use per-texture UV scales, you need to switch the sampler to LOD sampler instead of default.

This is because Unity mirrors the terrain geometry (un-tessellated) for their brushing system, and the displacement is pushes the vertices up in these areas. If it's bothersome you can paint with it with tessellation off, but there's not much I can do about it because that code is all closed source.

42. jbooth

jbooth

I will look over the changes in that version and see if anything pops out. The upgrade to 5.6 removed the 5.4/5.5 lighting pathways and replaced them with the ones Unity uses in 5.6+, so I could definitely see that having some effect on the shading- however since it just calls into Unity's shadow code, I'm not sure if it will be something I can actually fix - perhaps an artifact of how Unity does their cascaded shadow maps in 5.6? I believe they switched the space that they were applied in, as well as switched to inverse Z at some point as well, so either of these might be the difference..

43. Dark-Muppeteer

Dark-Muppeteer

Thanks for the info, I'll give this a try when I'm home from work.

44. Gread72

Gread72

FYI. I thought I would play around with MicroSplat today.

Imported the plugin into a Unity 2017.3 project. This is the error I'm getting:
    Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/TextureArrayConfigEditor.cs(1006,52): error CS0103: The name `NormalizeAlphaMask' does not exist in the current context.

It works fine in Unity 5.6.4.

I didn't see a support email. I just wanted to pass this issue along.
    Thanks.

45. jbooth

jbooth

Yes, thanks- there was a bad merge (I suck at Git) and an #ifdef got misplaced. I submitted a patch to the store today some hopefully it'll get pushed tomorrow. You can move the function out of the #ifdef block, or I can send you the file if you want..

46. JBT27

JBT27

Just to confirm - I just got this too.

47. Pointcloud

Pointcloud

Hi, I was wondering what parameters you would adjust to make microsplat perform as fast as possible?

48. jbooth

jbooth

If you don't mind some quality loss, then turn everything off, set Blend Quality to fastest (this will produce some artifacts, use balanced or best if they are too much for your needs). You could also disable height based blending for a small speedup, and change the sampler to LOD. Finally, reducing texture size in your arrays will save texture bandwidth.

In general, most effects based on enumerations go from cheapest to most expensive..

49. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Thanks @jbooth -- appreciate if you can take a look at this, as it's a complete show-stopper for my project. The shadows look so bad in VR when it's banding. I'm amazed that no-one else is talking about this issue, seems kind of strange?

I also tested in 2017.1.1.p3 and see the same problem there. Then trying 2017.3 I couldn't get tessellation to work on the terrain at all, it turned pink when I tried to enable it, and the MegaSplat demo scenes also displayed pink terrains for the tessellation examples.

50. jbooth

jbooth

Yes, grab todays patch or from the github to fix 2017.3- Unity changed a low level shadow macro.. I would expect this to hit other people as well though, and since I can't repro it on my machines it's a little hard to know exactly what is happening..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    WildStyle69 likes this.