Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Best Development Tool Finalist] MegaFiers - 2 40x Performance & Loads of New Features

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SpookyCat, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Hattoriseed

Hattoriseed

Is there any way I can set a max size of the hose? For example, if I set the hose to be 1 meter, but I move the end position 2 meters away from the start position, the hose would be created from the start position in the direction of the end position, but the mesh stops at 1 meter.

2. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Not as the Hose system stands at the moment, it should not be hard to add an option to limit the length of the spline that is turned into a mesh, I will look into it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    firstuser and Hattoriseed like this.
  3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

A small update which fixes an issue in the Sprite deformation system where the deforming sprite mesh would not have the same sorting info as the sprite causing issues, this has been fixed now so that the deforming mesh shares the same sprite sorting layer info.

Changes in v1.20
    • Changes to the Sprite deforming system to preserve the layer sorting info so the deforming sprite mesh renders correctly with respect to other sprites.

4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Another quick update, this adds a requested feature of a Multi Material Mesh Combiner so you can select the parent object of a load of objects which have meshes in the children and then select Combine Meshes from the MegaFiers menu and a new object will be created with all the meshes and materials combined to the single object. This can also be called at Runtime if required by calling:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GameObject newobj = MegaMeshCombiner.Combine(GameObject obj);
    It will return the newly created combined object.

Changes in v1.22
    • Added a Mesh Combiner system which can combine multiple mesh objects with multiple materials, just select the parent object and go to the MegaFiers menu and select Combine for a new object to created with all the meshes combined.
    • Fixed an issue which could cause an error if building the demo scene to a player.

5. Setmaster

Setmaster

Just wanted to notify of this warning:
    Assets\MegaFiers\Scripts\MegaFiers\Editor\CompilerCheck.cs(12,3): warning CS0618: 'CompilationPipeline.assemblyCompilationStarted' is obsolete: '

6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thanks for that, which version of Unity are you using?

7. Setmaster

Setmaster

Version 2021.1.2f1

8. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thanks, been fixed for the next update.

Setmaster likes this.
  9. MSFX

MSFX

Actually have a very similar cannon squash/stretch firing in my VR game, so much quicker with MF! :)

Is there any recommendation for how to upgrade from MF1 to MF2 in a project?

10. iddqd

iddqd

Hi, is it possible to make a complete tunnel through a mesh with any of the modifiers?

11. Setmaster

Setmaster

I would like it if ProBuilder wasn't set as a dependency in the future. I don't use it, from my understanding the only reason it is a dependency is so the remove probuilder button works.

12. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@MSFX - As all the core systems have been changed there is no direct upgrade from MF1 to 2, though the component names and values are the same so in theory it should work if you delete MF1 from the project and import MF2, I will do some tests on that, but I have updated one small project that way, think I had to select a couple of 'missing scripts'.

@iddqd - No, the modifier system works by deforming the vertices already present in a mesh, adding a tunnel would change the whole mesh. We did have a Boolean system almost ready to go at one point but never released it.

@Setmaster - I will have a look at adding a check for probuilder installed or not to disable that in the next update.

MSFX likes this.
  13. Kapteeni-Studios

Kapteeni-Studios

Hi,

I'm getting this error when I add Megafiers 2 to my older project.

Assembly 'Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll' will not be loaded due to errors:
    Assembly-CSharp-Editor references strong named Newtonsoft.Json Assembly references: 4.5.0.0 Found in project: 12.0.1.0.
    Assembly Version Validation can be disabled in Player Settings "Assembly Version Validation"

If I run the Megafiers 2 demo scene nothing moves. Game is using Unity 2019.4.18f1, Android and Version 1.22.

In the Player settings "Assembly Version Validation" is also grayed out with text "When Mono Resolves types from a assembly that is Strong Named, versions have to match with the one already loaded."

When I start totally new project with Unity 2019.4.18f1 and install Megafiers 2 from the asset store everything works.

How can I fix this with my older project?

14. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Could you submit a support ticket at our website. The Newtonsoft.Json system is nothing to do with the asset it is a Unity assembly so probably also worth submitting a bug report to Unity. You also say it doesn't work in Unity 2019.4.18f1 and then say it works fine in Unity 2019.4.18f1 so if you could let me know which versions of Unity you are using in your support ticket that would be great.

15. rotsin

rotsin

Hello, is it possible to use this plugin to fold paper? I am planning to use the Mega Book and this to achieve this but I am not sure if it's the way to go. If basic folding is possible would it be possible to do more complex folding patterns such as a flyer or map fold? Thanks!

16. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

There is no Fold modifier in the asset. I did do a system a long time back that made use of a custom 3ds max plugin to define fold lines and could playback folds in sequence to build objects and I did a Unity script for it but I never released it. You can see a video below. I could have a look and see if the code can be tidied up but its been a while. One option you could do is to make a Point Cache animation of the map/flyer folding and unfolding and use the Point Cache modifier to play that back.

MikeUpchat likes this.
  17. firstuser

firstuser

Hmm, just thinking out loud: rotational deform with snapping to mesh verts/lines? Auto added to all by default (if you set up only "fold lines" in mesh plane) or manually just to the fold lines you need if it's more complex? Then you can control each individually (direction, degree) and I guess write something to orchestrate them all together.

Something official would be pretty sweet though!

18. fordtimelord

fordtimelord

Does the new version work with Playmaker/have Playmaker actions?

19. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I have not yet got around testing the PlayMaker actions, in theory as the component names and params are the same it shoudl work but not tried it. I do not have a copy of PlayMaker, the authors sent me a very old version a few years back to get it working but dont have an up to date version. It shoudl all work fine with the Unity Visual Scripting system.

20. graphicsayy97

graphicsayy97

Hello, thank you for your hard work.

I am considering purchasing this asset as it shows a lot of promise for what i intend to use it for:

as you can see (kenshi game) is a awesome game which is similar to games using body morphing based character progression schemes.

I know a hundred ways to maybe simulate this in game, some more time consuming than others, but i saw your asset on sale and have been watching it for a few years. always something i was interested in.

I have a few questions before I go ahead and buy it:

1. how do we export or save blend shapes utilized by your asset in external programs or tools such as blender? is the format saved as external binary data or just export what i imagine is various settings, tied to the prefab as an FBX for whatever tool, and this can be tied to each individual mesh type and simply limit total mesh subtypes to cut down on work and make use of them?

2. does your program recognize possibly edited or pre-existing blend shapes if so, this is fine if 1 is a necessary limitation

3. your attachment system for skinned meshes works making use of blend shape configurations?

4. extensively i read your asset has UV coordination morphing as well? if so, do you believe that wish to recreate these kenshi games systems is do-able or enhanced (saving of time) if i get your asset, especially since source code is available?

5. in general, i like to code, and like to do things using code (and scripts), can I use your asset 100% via function calls? or must I have necessary stop-gap prefabs which can communicate options or settings via prefab templates between function calls between "entities" between scripts/components, etc. it isnt something i am unfamiliar with but Its just something id like to consider

realize that wether or not you respond to any or partially to some of my questions I may have already decided to buy it and this is just for my personal record keeping when i work to design my projects (i considering purchasing your product for some years now, just now saw a great sale)

thank you for your hard work again

21. Kapteeni-Studios

Kapteeni-Studios

Hi Chris,

What I mean is that if I start a new project with Unity 2019.4.18f1 and install Megafiers 2. It works. I did this to isolate the issue. From what I could quickly try, it was great. I'm a 3ds Max user, so I guess it was one reason it seems so easy to use.

But when I install Megafiers 2 to my existing game with the same Unity 2019.4.18f1, it's not working. So I tried to fix it. After a while, I got some strange behavior. In the Megafiers demo scene, for example, some of the rockets moved, some didn't.

The reason behind this is that I started to make that game years ago with Unity 2017, then it has been upgraded many times to Unity 2018, Unity 2019, etc. Somewhere along the way, the libraries and whatnot have changed, and something now breaks Megafiers 2.

You need to pick your battles when running a game company. So I will rebuild that game as a new project. Making it better at the same time, so I don't have to waste your time on whatever has gone wrong with my game over the years.

22. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

In the past other Assets and Unity have included the Newtownsoft.Json system as part of the assets, so it could be there is a duplicate, do you see any errors in the console at all?

23. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@graphicsayy97 - MegaFiers 2 no longer has its own morphing system it now integrates with the Unity Blendshapes system. When MegaFiers 1 was written Unity had no Blendshape support so we added, but with the rewrite the deformation system works nicely alongside the Unity system. We have added a Blendshapes Workshop system that allows you to bake deformations to Blendshapes inside Unity, and as they are part of the Unity mesh data they can be exported to FBX using the Unity FBX export package.

UV morphing is not supported in Unity Blendshapes as far as I know.

graphicsayy97 likes this.
  24. graphicsayy97

graphicsayy97

thank you i went ahead and got it just to mess around and not miss out on the sale price. ill see what i can figure out with it
    atleast source is viewable

25. Klausology

Klausology

Hello! I just got your asset recently and am absolutely loving it! I was wondering if you might be able to assist me in an issue I am facing currently. I am using the N-GON path modifier to modify a mesh into a polygon shape. I am also using the stretch value of the deformed mesh to slowly fill out over the N-GON path, as can be seen here:

The values of my N-GON path are as follows:

Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 3.10.23 PM.png

This works great, but I was hoping to be able to have a sharp corner instead of the current rounded corners. I notice that I am able to get sharp corners if I decreased the value of "fillet" on the N-GON gameobject, but this produces unsatisfactory results like weird bent corners like so:

Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 3.11.24 PM.png

Is there a way for me to deform a mesh into a polygon with sharp/straight corners without any artifacts as shown in the pic above? Thank you so much for helping!

26. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

New update submitted to the asset store, this makes MegaFiers - 2 fully compatible with Unity 2021 as well as made it compatible with the latest Burst and Jobs versions, also removed some package dependencies that somehow got added to the manifest, and also addressed an issue with the Blendshape Workshop feature where the mesh data was not being marked as dirty so was not being saved by Unity.

Change in v1.23

• MegaFiers 2 made compatible with Unity 2021.1
    • Removed obsolete warning in Unity 2021.1
    • Changes made to BlendShape Workshop system so mesh now correctly marked as dirty when creating/deleting blendshapes from modifiers so Blendshapes will be saved correctly.
    • MegaFiers compatible with Burst 1.5.4
    • MegaFiers compatible with Jobs 0.8.0
    • Removed various Packages that somehow got included as dependencies.

MikeUpchat likes this.
  27. Zer0ne7

Zer0ne7

Your readme says use the ModifyObject.cs component first, yet there is none. I try adding the MegaModifyObject.cs and get the following error attached. How do you even get started with this plugin? Using 2019.4.26f1.

Demo scene doesn't do anything either.

Attached Files:

28. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@AppTout - If you can submit a support ticket at our website I can help you out.

29. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

@AppTout - Looks like you haven't installed it right, from the Package Manager it should also install dependencies, the image indicates there are errors likely due to you not installing it correctly. Did you use the Package Manager or Asset Store window to install or did you install from a .unitypackage file?

30. Zer0ne7

Zer0ne7

Yeah I installed via Package Manager and it asked for dependencies and I let it install them.

31. rubble1

rubble1

Hi @SpookyCat , I'm trying to use Megafiers sphetify to wrap some level assets around a planet (sphere) so that they match the planet's surface. There are a lot of them, plus LODs, and it's sort of a bit of trouble to place the Spherify modifier on each mesh, not to mention resource intensive. I see there is a group workflow and a video showing the deformation working on the rocket and the launchpad, but it's not working that way for me. I'm a bit confused as to how to set this up, is there some documentation somewhere or a tutorial that talks more about the spherify modifier?

32. chaobaji

chaobaji

I use the MegaFiers to deform the mesh and save the deformed value as Blendshapes. But problem comes when I want to cooperate it with other via Git. It look like the blendshape information are not written into the fbx file, so I can't share the Blendshapes with other. what is the right way to save the Blendshapes? Thanks for support

33. roadrunner02

roadrunner02

Guidelines for Roadrunner Email Login | Roadrunner Email Solutions

Roadrunner is the most valuable and trusted webmail through out America in the time warner login on roadrunner is the best. You have to go Roadrunner Email Login page then put your password to login if you are not able to login then so many parameters are this like your internet connection is slow or your account credentials are wrong. If your all things is good and you still dont able to login roadrunner email then you have to contact Roadrunner Email Solutions then you will be get the answer.

34. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@chaobaji - Which version of MegaFiers 2 are you using?

35. chaobaji

chaobaji

version 1.23, it seems like the blendshape info was not write into the original fbx file

36. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

There is no method to write data back to an FBX file in Unity, if you need that functionality you should install the FBX exporter package and use that to export a mesh to an FBX file.

37. Klausology

Klausology

Hey hey @SpookyCat! I was wondering if you've had the opportunity to take a look at my query above? Thank you!

38. Image3d

Image3d

HI...do I have to instal the burst compiler and job system to get the increasing in speed for the modifiers ?

39. Da-Luk

Da-Luk

Hey, im using MegaFiers 2 with only one Rope Modifier in my scene. Everything worked fine on my laptop, after some Hardware problems on my laptop i copied my project to the Computer and got massive lag. I checked the profiler: (11.95ms MegaModifyObject.LateUpdate()[Invoke]). Do i miss something?
    Thank you in advance

40. marvinwvr

marvinwvr

Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I was wondering if the wave modifier in MegaFiers would run on an Oculus Quest 2? I only create VR content so I wouldn't want too purchase MegaFiers if it's to performance heavy.

41. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Interesting question, if you could provide a little more detail such as the vertex count of the object you wanted to deform and how many objects would be deforming at the same time I can give a proper answer, but there shouldn't be a problem, we have plenty of users of MegaFiers in mobile projects going back many years now and not had anyone say they couldn't use it and with MegaFiers 2 supporting Unity Jobs it should run fine on Oculus Quest 2 hardware.

42. marvinwvr

marvinwvr

Thanks so much for the reply. I would be using it on one or two objects for this scene. one object is a ribbon like object which has about 2500 triangles the other is a plane for a water surface which is around 20,000 tris which can be lowered if necessary just need enough to create a decent ripple effect.

Also are modifiers more GPU or CPU heavy?

43. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just a heads up for anyone interested in this asset, it is currently in the Asset Store sale at 50% off.

44. Image3d

Image3d

Hi Cris,

There is a new section on The modify Object....a group/Collider Objects settings.
    upload_2022-1-6_20-20-51.png

Do you have any documentation on it, what is for and how to use it ?

Best Regards

Joni

firstuser likes this.
  45. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

There is a video showing the Group system.

So to add objects to the Group click the 'Add Group Slot' you can then select the object to add to the Group, you can do that as many times as you want or if you just want to add all the child objects to the group then just click the 'Add All Child Meshes' button and it will find and add all the meshes that are children of the object being deformed, you can always remove any unwanted objects.

The Attach Children button is a quick way to attach any child objects to the deforming mesh, for example a particle system or a light on the object that should bend with the mesh. Detach Children will obviously reverse that. Objects can be attached individually by using the MegaAttach component as shown in the video below.

The Collider Object option allows you to select a proxy object that has a mesh collider for the object that will be deformed the same way as the main object, in the old MegaFiers the mesh being deformed was used as the collider mesh, this is still an option, but most of the time that was a complex mesh and not really suited as a collider, plus very slow to update. With the proxy mesh you can have a very simplified version of the mesh whichi smuch quicker and the collisions will be much quicker. Once you select the proxy object click the Apply Modifiers button and all the modifiers on the main object will be copied to the Collider Object. The Collider object will watch the main object for any changes.

firstuser likes this.
  46. Image3d

Image3d

Understood.

A question... the proxy mesh doesn't have to have the same number of vertices of the deformed object...right ?

It does not seem to be working with the point cache modifier:

upload_2022-1-7_22-34-45.png

Can you show us an example of the point cache with a proxy collider?

47. Image3d

Image3d

Chris...I think that for the point cache modifier the proxy mesh collider shoud also have an point cache file attached to it, but with the parameters of the collider controlled from the point cache object...

This is what we shoud have:
    upload_2022-1-8_9-39-36.png

Instead we have this:

upload_2022-1-8_9-43-18.png

The proxy mesh collider is destroyed as soon we move the Point Cache Object Time parameter..."

Are someone else using the Point Cache with proxy mesh colliders?

Attached Files:

48. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yeah there is probably an issue with the Point Cache on a Proxy Collider mesh as the system uses reflection to copy the params from the main object to the Point Cache one so if there is a different count then it is likely getting confused, I will take a look at that special case as soon as I can.

49. Image3d

Image3d

Thanks Chris...

50. ShizofMalkavian

ShizofMalkavian

Hello, I have some questions regarding the asset. First of all, it's an amazing asset, lots of stuff included.

- My first question is regarding the grouping system. I'm trying to create blendshapes from FFD 3x3x3 modifications for a character. Specifically, I add "beard" object to the group slot when I'm trying to modify the head. Unfortunately when I create a blendshape on the head, it doesn't create one for beard, and there is no way to do that unless I don't use grouping and just copy the component values myself. Is it possible to do that using grouping? Something I missed? If not, can you add a button for create blendshapes for all for example?

- Second question is related to the area of effect. FFD applies to the all object. If I try to modify a specific area of the object, is there a way to do that? I saw that you added From-To variables to Bend for example. But I don't see any way to do that on other modifiers. Is there a way to that at least with FFD modifiers?