Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Master Server Kit: create your own UNET-based dedicated server

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamevanilla, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostPanda

LostPanda

@Spelltwine-Games follow your doc run masterserver,zoneserver and gameserver but gameserver error :
    log=>IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    at MasterServerKit.GameServer.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Just a few hours ago a user reported a bug that prevented new game server instances from being spawned after a while due to an accumulation of internal helper connections not being properly cleaned up. I have fixed the online demo, so you should be good to go now. I will also include the fix in the next update of the kit. Sorry for the inconvenience!

3. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

It looks like you are manually launching the game server binary, but you usually do not need to do that because the zone server will automatically spawn new game server instances as necessary (unless you want persistent game servers, in which case you can indeed launch the game server binary yourself but you will also need to check the Auto-registration option in the Game Server component). I hope this helps!

If you still have issues setting everything up, please do not hesitate to reach me via the official support email and I will be happy to help. :)

4. LostPanda

LostPanda

thanks . download new windows demo and run is broken!
    log=> Log: cannot connect after 10 attempt address {::ffff:104.131.5.7:8000}

ping 104.131.5.7 is ok but telnet port 8000 broken.

5. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You are welcome! It is definitely working for me and other users (US and EU-based); it looks like the Digital Ocean VPS cannot be accessed from China for some reason. I will investigate this further, but as you own the kit already you should be able to run the demo locally on your computer just fine (which is also more convenient).

LostPanda likes this.
  6. LostPanda

LostPanda

ok . thanks!

7. LostPanda

LostPanda

thanks.this my steps but always error:
    1.import your assets from assets store
    2.set runInBackround is true and set api level to net 2.0
    3.select menu from window => msk=> build all
    4.run master server
    5.run client and play as guset => lobby ui
    6.select create new game ==> show error (No available games.)

8. FuTou

FuTou

Now I see why you said network lobby manager isn't prioritized. The zone server is indeed more important than that.

gamevanilla likes this.
  9. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I believe you are missing one step: running the zone server. So you need to do this:

- Run the master server.
    - Run the zone server.
    - Run the game client. Now you should be able to create new games (the zone server is in charge of spawning new game server instances; that is why you get the "no available games" alert popup if you only run the master server).

Please note that you will need to specify the game server binary path in the Zone Server component located in the ZoneServer scene, so that it points to the path where the game server binary is located on your machine. This is all explained in more detail in the official documentation.

I hope this helps!

10. LostPanda

LostPanda

thanks very much ! All is ok,this my setting error...:)

gamevanilla likes this.
  11. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

No worries and happy to know you got it working! :)

12. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Version 1.07 is now available on the Asset Store! This is a small maintenance update that fixes a bug that prevented new game server instances from being spawned after a while due to an accumulation of internal helper connections not being properly cleaned up.

13. wahyuway

wahyuway

@Spelltwine-Games
    this link in documentation is not valid http://www.spelltwinegames.com/masterserverkit/documentation/player_data_storage
    In pdf file also the link not the correct one
    Could you fix it? thanks

I have my own lobby scene and multiple online scene already working. In matchmaking host url and port field should i leave default entry or should i leave it empty?
    Because when i saw logs, it still request to unity matchmaking request.
    What should i fill in "network info" property?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  14. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Could you please tell me where is that link located so I can fix it? I have not found any reference to it in the latest version of the documentation (that specific page was updated a few versions ago and is available here). Thank you!

You can find a step-by-step guide on how to integrate the kit in a game using the Network Manager here. Basically, you do not need to worry about setting those properties manually yourself; you configure the components of the kit as described in the guide and replace the Unity's matchmaker calls in your code with the equivalent ones from the kit.

I hope this helps!

15. wahyuway

wahyuway

In latest pdf inside the package is at page 11, just above "Deploying the server in production".

I still cannot successfully integrate MasterServerKit with my current UNET game :( How does MasterServerKit handle with multiple online scene (i.e Multiple maps)? As you can see, i didnt set offline or online scene.
    Is there any API to set Server Change Change?

Attached Files:

16. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you! I will fix this.

What are you having trouble with? There really is not more to it other than what is described in the official step-by-step guide. You need to set the offline and online scenes as usual; what I meant with "you do not need to worry about setting those properties manually yourself" is that you do not need to concern yourself with the IP address, port and other network settings in the Network Manager (as those are automatically configured by the kit as appropriate). But the offline and online scenes, the player prefab, the registered spawnable prefabs that your game may use are always required and as such cannot be empty.

Regarding having multiple online scenes, that is not something supported by the Network Manager component and therefore not something the kit is going to help you with.

I recommend you follow the guide and add support for the Network Manager to the accompanying demo so that you can see how everything actually works in practice.

17. jstoeffler

jstoeffler

Hello,

Your solution seems exactly what I need for my next game.

I saw another script that seems to do exactly much the same thing as Master Server Kit: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/71391

Could you explain the difference (if any) so that I can make an informed choice ?

Thank you very much.

18. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

First of all, thank you for your interest!

I am personally not familiar with the asset you link, so it is hard for me to explain how they are different. I can tell you the focus of Master Server Kit is to provide an easy way to create your own dedicated server for your UNET-based games. It provides the following features:
    • Player registration and authentication (which can be bypassed if desired).
    • Guest mode.
    • Support for both world-based and room-based games.
    • Matchmaking supporting public and private games. Independent game server instances are dynamically spawned and destroyed as needed.
    • Zone servers that allow you to distribute the game server load across different machines (useful for load balancing or region-based matchmaking).
    • Player properties system that can be used for implementing currencies and achievements with persistent storage in a database. Default implementations are provided for SQLite, MongoDB and LiteDB.
    • Chat with support for public and private messages and an unlimited number of channels.
    • Complete and extensively documented C# source code.
    • Compatible with games using UNET, including games that use the Network Manager component.
    • Includes demo that showcases the functionality of the kit.
    All these features are built directly on top of the low-level API included in UNET, which provides a solid networking foundation.

The development is very much driven by the feedback of the community and, in that regard, I do my best to provide periodic updates implementing new features and improving the existing ones based on it. Version 1.06, which was released recently, made the kit easier and more flexible to use in big part thanks to the suggestions of the users and the knowledge gained by learning how they are using it with their games. I am currently working on refining a few of the things that were introduced in that update and preparing a private repository so that users of the kit have an easier way to share their contributions.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach me and I will be happy to help. :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  19. Fobos2030

Fobos2030

Hello. I've recently bought this product and unfortunately experience the same problem as FuTou did. When I tap "Create New Game" it just shows me "Creating Game" popup window, forever. But looks like my reason isn't the same as FuTou's (I double checked the correct path to the GameServer binary). I did everything according to the documentation, the only difference is that I'm building for Mac so I have-to build binaries manually.

Any hint what might cause this problem would be appreciated. I'm trying to test the demo locally so I didn't change any settings except the ones that I have to change according to documentation.

20. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

First of all, thank you for your purchase!

I understand that when you create a new game locally, there is no game server binary launched on your machine? Because that usually means the game server binary path is indeed not properly set up in the zone server.

21. Fobos2030

Fobos2030

Thanks for the quick reply. As I understood from the documentation the Game Server launch automatically when we Create a new Game in the Client Scene. That is why we need to set the proper path to it in the ZoneServer.

To make it easy i've placed my gameServer binary on the Desktop. So my path is: /Users/oleg/Desktop/gameServer.app

.app since I'm on the Mac.

Is it correct?

muhqrocks likes this.
  22. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I believe that may actually be the problem: on Mac OS the .app is not the actual executable but a folder containing it (plus other related metadata), so you need to reference the path to the executable inside the .app. For example, I just tested this on my end and the path I introduced in the zone server component was this:

/Users/david/Documents/SpelltwineGames/MasterServerKit/Builds/GameServer.app/Contents/MacOS/GameServer

Note the additional /Contents/MacOS/GameServer appended to the location of the .app file.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  23. Fobos2030

Fobos2030

Looks like you are right. Finally I managed to load the gameServer.) Thanks for the fast reply and help!)

gamevanilla likes this.
  24. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Happy to hear that, and you are welcome! :)

I will add a note about this to the official documentation right away, as I believe it is something worth mentioning.

25. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Also, I forgot to mention, you can change the default build target in the Builder script that accompanies the demo to Mac OS so that you do not have to generate the server binaries manually but via the menu option instead.

26. Fobos2030

Fobos2030

David I have another issue. Could you please tell what are the steps I have to perfrom to turn on the Unity Network Manager in your kit for the Demo Version? I've read through your discussion with FuTou about Network Manager but still, it isn't clear for me. I want to perform something simple with your kit and Manager like the sample Unity Project just to get an idea of how it works.

27. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I recently wrote a step-by-step guide about using the kit in conjunction with the Network Manager component in the official documentation which you can find here. Do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions about it and I will be happy to help.

28. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello! I am happy to announce that I have just created a private GitLab repository for Master Server Kit. This is something that several users have requested in the past and hopefully will provide an easy way to share contributions and issues related to the kit. Of course, I will also continue submitting periodic updates to the Asset Store as always. If you want to have access to the repository, just send me your GitLab username and your invoice number privately and I will set you up.

29. Fobos2030

Fobos2030

Hello! Hear I am again. Having problem with kit integration. I imported the kit, took the master, zone, game servers from the demo and created new Lobby Scene with "Client Api" object and another Object where I can run the following functions ClientAPI.ConnectToMasterServer, then if success -> ClientAPI.LoginAsGuest, then if success -> ClientAPI.CreateGameRoom, and finally -> ClientAPI.JoinGameServer by tapping on some button.

So I created binaries, ran the Master and Zone Servers. I can successfully connect to the Master server and create GameServer. But, when GameServer is created the Lobby Scene doesn't move to the GameScene like in the demo, instead, after 10 sec it gives me an error -

Socket: connect failed, error: Connection refused(61)
    connect failed
    Failed to connect to player ip: "(my ip:192.168.1.5)", port "some port"

I have the same error with or without Network Manager.

Please give me a hint what might be wrong. I spent the whole day trying to figure it out but still no luck.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  30. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The error messages do not come from the kit, but from UNET. It looks like a connection cannot be successfully established to the 192.168.1.5 IP address. Having said that, such an address belongs to the private range of available IP addresses and is one I am not sure it makes sense to use with the kit (you generally want to use 127.0.0.1 for development and local testing purposes and a public IP address for deployment in a production environment). Or maybe that is a custom log in your code and you are actually not using that address with the kit?

Also, it is always useful to check if this happens with the provided demo (with no changes) too.

If you are still having trouble, please send me more detailed information about your code (a Unity project would also be great) privately via the support email and I will be happy to investigate further.

31. Fobos2030

Fobos2030

That is not happening with demo. Demo is working fine with same ip. I'm trying to integrate the kit into my project. So from the demo i've learned that I have to preform four functions - ConnectToMasterServer -> LoginAsGuest -> CreateGameRoom -> JoinGameServer. And I can't do that with my ip or 127.0.0.1 ip neither. I have my settings for the Servers the same as in the demo Project.

As I wrote above i'm able to connect to the Master Server and then i'm able to create The GameServer. So three functions ConnectToMasterServer -> LoginAsGuest -> CreateGameRoom functions are working fine. The problem happens in the JoinGameServer function.

What can be wrong at this final stage? Maybe i'm passing the wrong Game Name or Password? But they are the same as in the demo. Name - Guest, Password - null.

32. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

It is hard for me to answer without knowing the exact details of what you are doing in code; specially considering the demo is working fine for you and the error you receive is not produced by the kit. As I said before, if you have a Unity project you can send to me privately via the support email I will be happy to take a closer look at it.

33. Fobos2030

Fobos2030

Well, I spent two days trying to solve this issue. Tried everything I could imagine and finally solved it!

I created a new scene and just copied all objects in it. The new scene, is looks like absolute identical to the original one. But this scene is working, and the previous doesn't. Two days. aaaah!!))

But the good part is that now, I know your kit pretty well.

gamevanilla likes this.
  34. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

That is crazy! But I am really happy to know everything is working fine now. :)

I am curious; did you originally copy the scenes from the demo into your project? Because that usually does not work very well in my experience unless you export them as a Unity package.

35. dude4004

dude4004

Hi there,

I would like to know if this package can handle a server which automatch every player of the SAME ranked?

Best regards,

36. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The kit does not currently provide matchmaking based on player rank, but it is a great idea. Definitely noted! :)

muhqrocks likes this.
  37. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello! Version 1.08 of the kit is now available on the Asset Store. These are the release notes:
    • Upgraded project to Unity 5.5.2.
    • Implemented a "no database" provider as an in-memory alternative for player data storage.
    • Added a default path to binary to the zone server demo scene.
    • Added an explicit maximum number of connections to the master server.
    • Improved the error handling when spawning a new game server instance.
    • Removed redundant networkManager property from the game server.

SwiftIllusion likes this.
  38. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I've been watching your kit for a bit now. I'm not currently in need of network stuff, but watching a couple of kits for future reference.

One thing that I really like about yours is the fact that you seem very accessible here in the forums and are actively developing. However, I do have one concern. Once in a development cycle, I would want to lock to a certain Unity version but it seems that you are staying on the bleeding edge and not providing fixes/updates which support older versions. It would be optimal if you could lock to a Unity version to be the lowest supported version and maybe add notes if there are new features which require a later version along with the checks within the code to ignore those sections of code for those features which are not supported by the lower versions.

For example, at this point the asset store is saying the asset requires 5.5.2. If you were to lock that as the low version and then have the checks for the higher versions in the future then your asset isn't just locked to people running one version. So if my project is 5.5.2 and you add new features in 5.6 (or whatever future version), I am able to choose that I don't need those features and not have to upgrade my project just to install this asset and possibly mess up other things I already have working. (Yeah, I know.. Adding networking should probably be one of the first things worked out in a multiplayer project, but not always the case.. heheh)

At any rate, definitely loving what I'm seeing. At this point, that would be my only real concern. :)

Keep up the awesome work!

gamevanilla likes this.
  39. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your kind words and your excellent feedback! Both are sincerely appreciated. :)

You are absolutely right in that it would be a good idea to lock a low version of the kit; I will do so starting with 5.5.2.

40. TheLastVertex

TheLastVertex

I'm looking at your Kit for a potential purchase and I have a couple questions for you.

Match Maker:
    From reading your documentation it appears your match maker is generally focused around "Users" finding "Servers". In an ideal world I'm looking for a matchmaker that can match one "User" with another "User" based on some skill properties or ranking, then spin up a "Dedicated Server" for both of them to join.

Do you think this is something doable with your package as is? Is this something that could be easily integrated into your framework (If I write the "User" matching "User" backend myself)? Or is this something you are considering for future release?

Supported platforms:
    I'm assuming from a client point of view this is usable across all platforms supported by Unity / UNET? Android, iOS, Windows etc.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  41. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your interest!

Matchmaking based on player rank is a feature that should be doable to implement with the package as is with some tinkering (considering matchmaking and player data storage are already provided), but I definitely plan to provide official support for it in a future update.

The kit works on all the platforms supported by UNET except for WebGL (there are several bugs/limitations with UNET + WebGL at the moment). The most common use case is that you have a server running on a Linux/Windows/Mac OS machine and then clients connect to that server via any of the supported platforms.

42. dude4004

dude4004

Scroll up a little bit. I just asked this question 1 week ago.
    I would love to have a TRUE matchmaking which handle the creation of the game and managing if the player is disconnected.

Best regards,

43. TheLastVertex

TheLastVertex

So I decided to make a purchase and wanted to say thanks for providing this package. This is a huge help, and I honestly think you should charge more. I don't know what the Unity community is willing to pay but I think this is worth far more than I paid for it.

I was able to build and run the demo without issue. I then did a test project to see what is involved with integration and using the Network Manager. This also went fairly well, but with one hiccup. I had issues getting my scene to load as a substitute for "GameClient_Game". This was due to a lack of understanding on my part with how the project was being built. After I built my substitute scene manually following the guide provided in the documentation things started to work.

Today however, I am attempting to get this integrated into my real project. Unfortunately I'm having an issue again with the scene that I will being using as a replacement for "GameClient_Game". After some troubleshooting I think I've narrowed this down to the following issue.

I made my own "MyNetworkManager" subclass from Unity's "NetworkManager" class. I did this so I could override the "OnServerAddPlayer" function to include addition info. I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly?) this is what is causing the problem. It's looking for a "NetworkManager" component and I only have a subclassed version of this called "MyNetworkManager" component.

Is there a way to get this to work or do I need to switch back to using the NetworkManager base class?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  44. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

First of all, thank you for your purchase and your kind words! They are sincerely appreciated. :)

On the game server side, the MasterServerNetworkManager component (which is a custom subclass of NetworkManager needed for this component to work well in concert with the kit) is used instead of NetworkManager. So your MyNetworkManager class should derive from MasterServerNetworkManager in order for everything to work as expected.

On the game client side, you can use the regular NetworkManager component.

Please let me know if this helps!

45. TheLastVertex

TheLastVertex

On the client side I'm using a custom component which was created by subclassing the NetworkManager class. After digging deeper it doesn't' actually look like this is a problem, as it is now working fine even though my client scene has my custom "MyNetworkManager" component instead of the standard "NetworkManager" component. So all good there.

My previous issue and some others appear to be problems with my specific scene. I did some funky stuff previously to get my scene set up correctly and its finally come back to haunt me. That's Ok though, I intended to fix it eventually. Sorry if I caused any alarm.

I'm current relying purely on the "Play Now" functionality. I've notice if I have two players click Play Now within a short time span, I end up getting two separate servers created with 1 player each, instead of 1 server with 2 players. I'm assuming this time span is determined by the length of time it takes for the 1st players dedicated server to be launched?

Is there a way to queue these up so the master/zone server doesn't attempt the 2nd players request until the first players request and subsequent actions are completed?

Example:
    1.) Player 1 clicks "Play Now".
    2.) Player 2 clicks "Play Now".
    3.) Player 1's dedicated server process is started.
    4.) Player 2's request to join/create is put on hold / not processed.
    4.) Player 1's dedicated server is finalized.
    5.) Player 1 is connected to the dedicated server.
    6.) Player 2's join request is processed.
    7.) Since a server is now available Player 2 is connected to Player 1's dedicated server.

As it is now, it looks like both Player 1 and Player 2's request appear to be done in parallel? I understand the value in that but since I'm hoping to use "Play Now" exclusively this isn't ideal. Is there a work around I could implement to change this behavior?

Thanks in advance!

46. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Happy to hear that!

You are right in that it takes some time to spawn a new game server instance and player requests are not queued. I will think more about the best way to support this use case in the future; in the meantime, you can use the Pre-spawned instances field of the zone server component so that a few default game server instances are automatically spawned when the zone server is launched.

47. TheLastVertex

TheLastVertex

Ooooo.... I didn't know about this setting. I was considering trying to find a way to do this on my own, but it looks like you've already done all the work. Awesome!

If you do decide to release a skill based matchmaking package in the future that works with this master server kit, please let me know. I'll be happy to purchase it the day of release.

Thanks again for all the help!

gamevanilla likes this.
  48. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You are welcome! :)

Matchmaking based on player rank/skill is something I definitely plan to implement in a future update.

49. dude4004

dude4004

When it is done, let me know.
    Here is my email : volkov40@hotmail.com

I'm busy on other projects but when it is ready, I will try it right away.

best regards,

50. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

I want purchase your asset but i wanted ask a few questions.

1. Would your asset work great for a RTS style game. No Saving to database just pure matchmaking.
    2. Would players from different zones(USA, EU) be able to join that one server
    3. would it run 50+ servers on the same Dedicated Box ( 1 GB UP and Down) (2TB Bandwidth)
    4. Would it kick players with wrong game builds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.