Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Master Server Kit: create your own UNET-based dedicated server

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamevanilla, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

It is not. Unfortunately, Mirror removes several classes used heavily by the kit, so supporting it is not exactly trivial.

Gabo_campitelli likes this.
  2. DragonDark99

DragonDark99

Hi man!, im interested in this asset, but it seems difficult to use for me.
    If i buy this asset, you can help me with the matchmaking ? I already have a game using UNet but it's just working on LAN and I want to implement a dedicated server and a matchmaking.

3. DragonDark99

DragonDark99

Hi man!, im interested in this asset, but it seems difficult to use for me.
    If i buy this asset, you can help me with the matchmaking ? I already have a game using UNet but it's just working on LAN and I want to implement a dedicated server and a matchmaking.

4. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The kit assumes a knowledge of UNET and multiplayer programming, so I highly recommend working on that (if needed) before purchasing the asset.

5. Cushmily

Cushmily

vote for Mirror support

silverair, hottabych and Paradoks like this.
  6. silverair

silverair

That is a great solution to unity multiplayer game server...
    I really hope it can support Mirror

7. Accused

Accused

+1 for Mirror support

8. Gatskop_Software

Gatskop_Software

9. imwaynebailey

imwaynebailey

10. MrG

MrG

If you want, stop by our Discord sometime and discuss what can be done for this...poke "MrGadget".

Accused and imwaynebailey like this.
  11. Player7

Player7

Surely you would support Mirror, it practically is the UNET replacement at this point.

12. gozdagb

gozdagb

Is this plugin still supported?

13. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Yes.

14. kiritobattlejack

kiritobattlejack

I want buy ccg kit asset
    But need to buy course for multiplayer ccg and this master server right? So can I have discount if I buy all ?

15. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The course is completely independent from the assets and is not required for them.

Generally speaking, we do not provide discounts on an individual basis (as we do not have the ability to do so). The best way to purchase our assets at a reduced price is when they get selected for a sale.

16. Dianajmcphee

Dianajmcphee

+1 for mirror support! Please!

17. Fhiz

Fhiz

+1 for mirror - its the UNET replacement of our time.

Depends on the classes that got removed though...

18. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Mirror support will definitely not happen as an update of Master Server Kit. As mentioned a few posts ago, the library removes several UNET classes used heavily by the kit, which makes a direct conversion impractical.

It may happen as a completely new asset, though... :)

19. gozdagb

gozdagb

After importing to an empty project I have this error:
    Microsoft (R) Visual C# Compiler version 2.9.1.65535 (9d34608e)
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

error CS1703: Multiple assemblies with equivalent identity have been imported: 'E:\Projects\U20192\MasterServerTest\Assets\MasterServerKit\Core\Plugins\System.Data.dll' and 'C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\MonoBleedingEdge\lib\mono\4.7.1-api\System.Data.dll'. Remove one of the duplicate references.

u 2019.2.9,
    VisualStudio 2017 v.15.9.13,

I found some ways on the internet, but none worked

Thanks.

20. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We do not provide technical support over here. Please use the official contact form at our website.

21. RacketRebel

RacketRebel

That sounds perfect,
    Do you have a time frame for the "upgrade" ?

22. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I am afraid not (it is not a firm decision as of yet).

23. RacketRebel

RacketRebel

That sounds like, no time frame ... no upgrade ... i have learned a lot of your solutions: MSK & CCG & RICIMI, thanks for that. I was really hoping that you would take MasterServerKit to the next level in the near future.

24. hottabych

hottabych

Why not to create a separate version of MSK for Mirror? And maintain both (UNet and Mirror versions).
    Mirror still doesn't have a master server solution. They have Insight based on free Master Server Framework, but it is abandoned. So you could be first.
    Also, your current MSK can be deprecated from assetstore any time, because of UNet deprecation.

25. CosmicStud

CosmicStud

@gamevanilla Just wondering if I am correct I would need to implement multiple master servers in the event of excess of 100k more concurrent users correct. Hypothetically speaking ;)

26. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Those are numbers that very few games will achieve in practice. Generally speaking, I do not think a Unity-based backend (Master Server Kit or not) would make sense in an scenario with that number of concurrent users.

CosmicStud likes this.
  27. CosmicStud

CosmicStud

Hello, does anyone here know how to fix the assets gameserver's CRC mismatch and the gameserver's "server disconnect by timeout?"

I tried replacing connect and disconnect timeout in the network settings script but it seems to cause CRC mismatch. So I replaced ALL the custom/advanced config options from the network manager to the settings scripts. To still have mismatch errors. I've been stuck at this for days. Besides that, thanks. Any examples for network manager examples?

EDIT: Okay, I figured it out. All the settings have to be replaced. Just got to find the right combination!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    gamevanilla likes this.
  28. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Happy to hear that! Is there anything in the documentation about this that you feel should be clarified or better explained?

CosmicStud likes this.
  29. CosmicStud

CosmicStud

Honestly, I am still needing help on getting everything to work. Docs are okay, but it does not show much in regards to a network manager demo. I am trying to work with the asset but its hard to guess a lot with the settings, crc, and whatnot. UNet :(... Got any samples I could start from? Besides that thanks!

30. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

There are no samples other than what is included with the kit. I always recommend learning UNET independently first; otherwise there are lots of moving pieces which can be quite complex to grasp without any prior experience.

31. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I have some news! You have been requesting Mirror support in Master Server Kit for quite some time, and I am happy to announce we are working on it and expect to release the first version in the upcoming weeks. Here are some things that are important to mention about it:
    • It is a completely new asset, developed from scratch. A direct conversion was impractical for technical reasons, and I also wanted to take the opportunity to rethink and improve some of the concepts behind the original kit.
    • Price will be $59.99 and there will be no upgrade path from the original kit (as per the previous point).
    • The kit is written in Go as opposed to being based on Unity binaries. This means its core is, in principle, engine-agnostic and networking library-agnostic. It also means the kit will be much leaner and more efficient.
    • The first version will provide a very similar feature set to the original Master Server Kit, but using Mirror-based game servers instead.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    SwiftIllusion and vertexcolor like this.
  32. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

And we have just submitted the kit! I have created a new thread here.

33. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

And we are live now! We have an independent thread here.

34. Adohi7

Adohi7

Can I integrate into mirror(unet based server asset)?

35. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

No. We have just released a new asset named Dedicated Server Kit to provide the same functionality for Mirror-based games.

36. payalzariya07

payalzariya07

hi,
    I build an android app using this package. but I got 3 errors at build time. (attaching screenshot)
    using this package I can't understand how to manage all demo scenes.

Please help me shot out this error.

Attached Files:

37. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We do not provide technical support over here. Please use the official contact form at our website.

38. thedetective456

thedetective456

Hey,

Seems like it's a good asset. But if I use Unet on a custom server will I have to pay Unity for CCU? I am confused what to do right now. I have an old project developed in UNET and migrating it to mirror is giving me a pain in ass. But How exactly to host or build game with this kit?

Although I am not new to networking, still I am getting confused so much that I am thinking to quit game dev :mad:.
    I am willing to buy this. Also how is match making done? By using Unity's server or something else?

Sorry for lame questions...

Thankyou.

39. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

No worries! No such thing as a lame question. :)

Games using the kit are hosted on a dedicated server of your own (which also handles the matchmaking). So you do not have to pay Unity because you are not using their servers; you pay your server provider. Please note that the kit assumes your game is server-authoritative (meaning the server is separated from the players; there is no P2P as is the case by default with Unity Services). So migrating to the kit will require more or less changes depending on how your game's multiplayer logic is currently written.

I recommend going through the official documentation, as it contains more detailed information about how everything works.

40. thedetective456

thedetective456

Well, I decided switch to Mirror. UNET seems to lack active development and most of the community have shifted towards other networking. And also I saw another asset made by you called Dedicated Server Kit, so I am switching to Mirror :)

41. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

That is right, you can think of Dedicated Server Kit as a Master Server Kit for Mirror.

42. MadMojo

MadMojo

@gamevanilla
    Do you have an MLAPI version of the Master Server Kit being worked on by any chance?

43. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

No; it may happen once MLAPI is stable if there is enough interest (the early access preview was released just a month ago). We would extend our new Dedicated Server Kit asset and not Master Server Kit, though.

44. MadMojo

MadMojo

If I purchased the Master Server Kit, would I be able to do the conversion myself or is it inaccessible for that purpose? I glanced at it in the Asset Store, but didn’t see a note about it being customizable to that extent. But not all asset makers note when it’s possible.

45. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

It is not trivial to convert Master Server Kit to a new networking library like MLAPI or Mirror because it heavily relies on NetworkServerSimple, which none of these libraries provide an equivalent for (so you would be looking at a complete rewrite). That is why our focus when it comes to supporting new networking libraries is on Dedicated Server Kit, which makes supporting any library a much easier process in general.

The best way to think about this is the following:
    • Master Server Kit is UNET-only and will always be.
    • Dedicated Server Kit is Mirror by default, but can potentially be extended to other libraries without a complete rewrite of the foundations (we may even add default support for MLAPI in the future if/when it makes sense to do so).

MadMojo likes this.
  46. MadMojo

MadMojo

Thanks for the extra information. The Dedicated Server Kit doesn’t offer the features I wanted to use that the Master Server Kit offers, or I would grab that and check it out. Appreciate the info!

47. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

No worries at all and I understand! What features specifically would you be interested in having from the Master Server Kit?

48. MadMojo

MadMojo

Master server able to monitor and control spawning server zone instances (and be able to direct connecting clients to which instance to use after they’ve connected to master), where zone instances can spawn temporary room instances on demand. I really would like a simple, scalable, MLAPI-based solution that would be able to handle that core functionality. Especially if server and client could be separate projects, and client could communicate with master server, zone server (that master server directs client to), and the room instance at same time, as needed.

gamevanilla likes this.
  49. dansyrotyn

dansyrotyn

Hey guys!
    We have memory leaks using master server and CCG Kit

Attached Files:

50. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

We do not provide technical support on this forum thread. Please reach us via the contact form at our website including any additional information like the reproduction steps (on the default kits with no custom changes) and we will be happy to assist. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.