Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Master Audio - AAA Sound Solution. #1 audio plugin on Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dark_tonic, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jerotas

jerotas

No there isn't currently. What do you have in mind? A good 60% of the features lately have been user requests. Fill us in on what you'd like to do and we'll think about how best to do it.

2. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio V3.1 has been submitted! This is probably the largest update ever. It includes the following:

• Added multiple Playlist Controller support. Auto-advance, repeat playlist, shuffle start on awake have been moved into each Playlist Controller. You will lose those global settings.
    • Added 2D collision, 2D Trigger Enter 2D Trigger Exit events to Event Sounds script.
    • Fixed "attach to caller" bugs by not really attaching as a child. We just follow its location.
    • Added 2D Tookit support to Master Audio. It will update tk2dUISoundItem, its Inspector so you can select Sound Groups, and tk2dUIAudioManager in place if you haven't moved the default folders.
    • Reverb and other FX trails will not get cut off anymore when caller despawns or gets destroyed.
    • Added optional minimal mode to Event Sounds, so it only shows the events you're using, then you can add an event by choosing from the dropdown.
    • Added a checkbox to EventSounds to show PoolManager events or not. Defaults to off.
    • Added code to get the full Resource path including folder when creating Variations in Resource file mode.
    • Added checkbox in Event Sounds to do selected Group or Bus command to All Groups or All Buses.
    • Each Playlist Controller now has its own master volume as well, which works to lower against the Master Playlist volume in the MA prefab.
    • You also select the initial playlist to play in each Playlist Controller.
    • Playlist Start By Index, NextPlaylist and PreviousPlaylist commands and Playmaker Custom Actions are removed. They don't make sense in the multiple Playlist controller paradigm. Please delete the Master Audio Playmaker Custom Actions folder and re-import the new package, which doesn't have those.
    • Added slider for time-jumping on the Jukebox.
    • Jukebox now shows one jukebox for each Playlist Controller.
    • EventSounds Playlist UI updated to support multiple Playlist Controllers.
    • Playmaker Playlist custom actions updated to support multiple Playlist Controllers.
    • Added "all Playlist Controllers" checkbox to Event Sounds Inspector Playlist applicable actions.
    • Added Music Ducking Toggle Playmaker custom action.
    • Added "all buses" checkbox for Bus Playmaker Custom Actions.
    • Added "all groups" checkbox for Sound Group Playmaker Custom Actions.
    • Added "all playlist controllers" checkbox for Playlist Playmaker Custom Actions.
    • Added volume of Playlist Controller to Jukebox.
    • Added song drop-down to Jukebox instead of text display of active clip so you can change to the clip you want during runtime.
    • Moved cross-fade time up to the top section next to the Jukeboxes.
    • Added stop icon to Jukebox.
    • Added Playlist Controller setup section in Playlist settings section in MA prefab. You can set initial playlists and volume there, also has a gear icon to go to the Controller prefab for the rest of the settings.
    • Synchronized playlists now means auto-advance not allowed, and all tracks in that Playlist will loop. This fixes numerous bugs.
    • Added a checkbox for Button Clicker NGUI script to choose "resize on click" or not.
    • Added a mute button for each Playlist Controller and a "Master Playlist Controller Mute" up top by the Master Playlist Volume slider.
    • Added an event you can subscribe to in each Playlist Controller to be notified when the song changes to a new one.
    Yep, that's right - I had time today to do the 2D Toolkit piece! Enjoy.

3. jerotas

jerotas

Since I added the stop icon for the Jukebox in this 3.1 update, anyone who already has Master Audio in a scene and doesn't want to start over, you can get the stop icon like this:

1) Click on the Master Audio prefab in your scene.
    2) Next to the lock in upper right of the Inspector, click the arrow and select Debug.
    3) Find "Stop Track Texture" and drag "stopIcon" into that field from the MasterAudio/Sources/Textures folder.
    4) Go back to the lock from step 2, click the arrow and select Normal.

Done!

4. jerotas

jerotas

Here's the 2D Toolkit package for anyone who doesn't want to wait. It didn't require any code changes in Master Audio, just in the Toolkit, so it should work without needing the 3.1 update.

View attachment $MA_Tk2d.unitypackage

5. im

im

hi. got it thanks! congrats on the new release. best regards!

6. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Thanks so much Jerotas! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! CHRISTMAS HAS COME EARLY FOR ME ! :D

BTW Jerotas, I noticed one of the screenshot in Asset Store is still the old one :

Make sure you update the screenshots when you update the package in Asset Store, you will win over more potential customers!

There is nothing worse than having updated package with new advanced features but the screenshots let it down and people assumed it hasn't been updated (or worse, abandoned!) and pass on this great package.

7. spartan

spartan

@jerotas can I add a chorus or echo effect inline to an audioclip? Something like MasterAudio.ApplyEcho( audioclip ); ?
    and then audioclip.Play(); will play with the echo or MasterAudio.PlayEcho ( audioclip ); ?
    thanks!

8. MarioRuiz

MarioRuiz

Well it's basically about copycatting some fmod designer/studio functionality, a basic example, having a looping clip changing it's pitch depending of a parameter, e.g. having rpm as a parameter in game and having a motor clip looping to mimic an engine(that's the cliche example) Another example would be to have a group of music clips and have them blend between them depending of the distance of the player and certain point so the music builds up tension. Parameters and complex audio events ( and to be able to create them visually, not by code ) are what fmod is all about. I'm pretty sure you've checked fmod studio, but if you haven't you should, it's pretty much the next big thing in game audio. A good vector to point to and improve upon.

9. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Thank you im!

10. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Agreed, that's on the agenda for right after the V3.1 release. Thanks!

11. jerotas

jerotas

If you want to use the Unity echo filter (or any of the other 5), it's already there in the individual SoundGroup Variation prefab for you to turn on and tweak. If it's not (meaning you have had MA a long time), add the appropriate component.

12. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, another customer asked about that recently. I'll look into that after a couple more revisions. I have to be able to do it in an intuitive manner without making the UI confusing, which is always the hard part.

13. Kensai

Kensai

jerotas, what should I move and where if I've moved the default TK2DROOT folder from its default position?

14. jerotas

jerotas

Look in the 2nd to last page of the ReadMe file here. It says these 3 files are being replaced:

• _TK2DROOT/tk2dUI/Code/Controls/tk2dUISoundItem.cs
    • _TK2DROOT/tk2dUI/Code/Core/tk2dUIAudioManager.cs
    • _TK2DROOT/tk2dUI/Editor/Controls/tk2dUISoundItemEditor.cs

So find these 3 files in the 2D Toolkit folder and replace them with these 3 that are in the folder path above. That should clear you up!

15. jerotas

jerotas

A question for users I need some help on:

1) Now that we have layered music possible, with say 4 tracks or so going at the same time, streaming is no longer an option (not supposed to stream more than ~2 clips at the same time for performance reasons). Memory usage by music could very quickly get out of hand. So we need to add Resource file support for Playlists. The question is, at what point do we decide that we no longer need certain music clips and unload them to reclaim memory?

Without any insight or I may end up I coding this a non-optimal way.
    -Brian

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  16. MarioRuiz

MarioRuiz

indeed, making the ui intuitive is the hard part. (damn forgot to quote you Jerotas)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  17. imtrobin

imtrobin

I'm revisiting MasterAudio, this is from 3.01

1. The sound preview play button. Can you add to stop the sound too.

2. For limiting the number of sounds being played in SoundGroup, there are two modes that I want. One is to ignore the sound being played when limit is reached, the other is to remove the oldest sound and play the new sound. This is for explosion clips that can be 5 seconds long, so the new explosion sound should be played always but system removes the oldest explosion.

18. jerotas

jerotas

Actually, really weird. I was just adding a preview and stop button for everywhere, including the playlist clips...so - done!

#2, the instance limiter is already there. Just set the weight (or polyphany limit) to your max# you want.
    The other request (remove oldest) is already there as well, kinda. It will use the first Variation it finds that's past the Retrigger percentage you specify for the group. That defaults to 50%. That means it will consider a sound "done" if it's 50% or more played, and re-use that pooled AudioSource the next time you need to play one.

Do these do the trick for you?

19. Saxi

Saxi

How does this compare to SoundManager Pro, anyone know?

20. jerotas

jerotas

I hope someone who has used both speaks up. I know that Master Audio has a lot of features SMP does not, while I don't believe there are any they have that we don't. I can give you short list of those features if you like, but there's a lot.

UI on both products is very good, and support is great on both as well. I think if your audio needs are fairly simple SMP is just fine. It lacks a lot of the more advanced features and granular control we've built up over time, but then SMP is a newer product, so that's not apples to apples exactly.

Funny how no one mentions Audio Toolkit anymore. Just a few months ago that plugin was the reigning audio champ sales-wise. Also a good product. Seems they have issues with their UI and non-optimal workflow is the complaint I hear often from converts.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  21. Hesham

Hesham

Using the latest Master Audio and Playmaker, I get this error when importing the costume actions:

Code (csharp):
    2. Assets/MasterAudio/PlaymakerCustomActions/MasterAudioPlaylistSetVolume.cs(13,24): error CS0117: `PlaylistController' does not contain a definition for `MasterVolume'

22. jerotas

jerotas

I'll be very glad when the new version gets approved. We've had about 10 people email us about this one. The fixed custom actions is attach at the bottom of this page. That should fix it for you :)

23. jerotas

jerotas

There's an error in the new V3.1 (not quite released yet), regarding caching the Playlist Controller instances, so if you use per-scene Master Audio instead of persistant, you might encounter it. The fix is two parts:

1) PlaylistController.cs, replace this method below with the following.
    Code (csharp):
    1. public static PlaylistController InstanceByName(string playlistControllerName) {
    2.         var match = Instances.Find(delegate(PlaylistController obj) {
    3.             return obj != null  obj.name == playlistControllerName;    
    4.         });
    6.         if (match != null) {
    7.             return match;
    8.         }
    10.         Debug.LogError("Could not find Playlist Controller '" + playlistControllerName + "'.");
    11.         return null;
    12.     }
    2) Line 209 in MasterAudio.cs, add this first line above the other one that's already there:

Code (csharp):
    1. PlaylistController.Instances = null; // clear the cache
    2. var playlists = PlaylistController.Instances;
    You'll need to make these edits yourself if you can't wait for the hotfix. Unfortunately I can't send the newest package out to everyone that asks because the package size is now too large for email. If you really, really need it though, do email me and I'll try to send out 1 filemail.com package a day to a list of people that emailed me that day.

Thank you for understanding.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  24. jerotas

jerotas

Saxi, it seems there isn't much customer crossover between the two products. I think most people haven't used both. Since they're both good products, a lot of people don't have a reason to "defect" from one to the other. Or if they do, they aren't willing to speak up.

Anyway, SMPro has none of the following:

1) Music Ducking
    2) Use of Unity Audio filter FX
    3) "EventSounds" script that can control sounds, playlists, buses groups with no coding (yes there's Playmaker actions which we also have, but if you don't have Playmaker you're out of luck).
    4) A way to set up per-scene sound FX without coding.
    5) A way to play layered music with each layer having cross-fading.
    6) Syncrhonized Playlists.
    7) Sound categories besides just music SFX.

Those are the major features lacking. There are a ton of small things as well. Like I said, SMPro is a great product - for the basics. If you want more control and far less code to write yourself, I believe we have no peers in this price range. Anyone feel free to add to this commentary of course, even if you disagree.

Competition is healthy, I don't mind it. It eventuallys make the winning product(s) better.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  25. imtrobin

imtrobin

I think it will do if I set Retrigger to 0%.. Didn't know about this functionality, was not very clear in the docs.

26. jerotas

jerotas

Hmm, I just re-read the docs and I don't agree. Would you like to suggest a re-wording of the following?

Retrigger Percentage - this setting will control the percentage of each clip in this Group that must be played before re-using the Variation is allowed. Anything lower than this percentage and the Variation is considered "busy" and cannot be used.

27. imtrobin

imtrobin

I suggest writing a use case example for that feature. The feature is easily misunderstood. It seems there are still many other features (which are not very clear yet) on reading on how I should be using them.

28. jerotas

jerotas

Will do. If you come across any other features you would like a use case example, give me a shout and I'll update the docs accordingly. Thank you for bringing this up.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  29. jerotas

jerotas

Here's what I added to the end of section 6 in the docs just now. Hopefully this is a little more clear?
    - - - -
    Setting up a Group for a max number of voices: Master Audio never uses AudioSource.PlayOneShot. This is because that method allows multiple overlapping samples to play on the same AudioSource. This would make the voice-limiting (polyphany) and the Retrigger Percentage code not work. However, the combination of weight + retrigger percentage gives you a "controllable" PlayOneShot in effect. By default a single variation in a Group will have a weight of 1. Therefore you can only play one of that sound at the same time. If you want to allow 5 simultaneously, up the weight of that variation to 5. Four additional clones of the variation will be created at runtime. If you have 3 different variations of the sound, but only want to allow 2 to play at the same time, keep the weight of all 3 at just 1, then set the Polyphony Voice Limit to 2. Master Audio will play each variation randomly until all have been played, then "refill the pool" and start over the next time that Group is requested. When all variation are "busy" per the Retrigger Percentage, nothing will be heard for this trigger.

30. eridani

eridani

I have both because both are on sale, so I figured it would be an affordable way to compare and contrast and get the best audio product for my needs. I just finished a project using SoundManager Pro and it went pretty well. There were some small issues but the SMP guy seems to be on top of things. You can read my questions and posts in the SMP forum to find out the exact issues I had, and you'll see that the SMP is responsive and helpful.

SMP is simple to use and pretty streamlined, but I'm not sure if it's designed to handle really involved, interactive-heavy setups. I loaded up SMP with about 35 sound effects and a dozen music tracks, and there was some noticeable slowdown in the Unity Editor. So I think it might be best not to use too many sound effects and songs with SMP. I don't know if this is true of Master Audio as well. Also, I did have to do a small bit of coding to achieve the exact results that I wanted with SMP. Overall it did what I needed it to do and I was happy with it for my small project.

I'm starting a new project, this time using Master Audio, and I'll report back my thoughts over the next few weeks as I go along. The Master Audio guy seems to be extremely focused on being responsive to customer issues, which is already a good sign.

31. jerotas

jerotas

I look forward to helping you make that evaluation and making this product the best it can be. By the way, I had the free version of SMP when it was still available. One observation I made was that since I didn't see any inactive game objects in the Scene prior to playing SFX, SMP must actually Instantiate the SFX objects the first time you play them. As we all know, Instantiate is something of a bad word in mobile development. Master Audio creates all varations (from weight properties) during the Awake event only, and from then on has pooled SFX to work from. This alone should mean much better and more consistent performance.

Regarding the number of sound effects, we used 120 Sound Groups in a single Scene in our first iOS title last year (which used the beta Master Audio), and there was no slowdown on our devices.

32. im

im

hey congrats/thanks for the new release! (just downloaded it)

i also noticed that you have lowered the price to just $15, 80% off regular price

that is one amazing deal for anyone who does not already have this great asset

33. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, not quite as cheap as the 24-hour sale. But close! Thanks im :)

34. im

im

? 80% off is great deal. i dont think ive seen it any lower. in general most 24hr sales ive seen is like 50%, perhaps 60% or even 75% off, but 80% is amazing deal. if they dont already have master audio and killer wave they are going to be hating themselves if they miss out on the sales... cause they both are very good asset, a must for any one working on a game...

35. jerotas

jerotas

A bug was found. If you are using both Killer Waves Master Audio in the same project, there are 2 duplicate classes named UndoHelper. You can delete one of them, they are identical. I will fix this in the next version. This may be common since both plugins are on 80% off sales right now!

36. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio 3.1 is live! Grab the largest update ever and start using those new features :)

37. jerotas

jerotas

Just submitted Master Audio 3.1.1 to the Asset Store. Here are the changes:

• At the end of Playlist gradual fade, made an optional callback method you can pass a delegate to.
    • Added a PlaySound3D method that takes a Vector3 and plays the sound from that location.
    • Clicking on the MasterAudio + Synkro header image in all Inspectors will take you to the Master Audio prefab in the scene.
    • We no longer show a "no Master Audio" error in the Console when in edit mode, only while Playing.
    • Fixed bug where "StopPlaylist" would actually fade it out. Stop Playlist now stops the Playlist instantly.
    • Fixed bug in calculation of crossfade start time when pitch not equal to 1.
    • Fixed bug where if a random variation is "busy", it didn't pick a different one instead of failing.
    • Clicking Play button on Jukebox will start the playlist over if it's stopped. Before it only worked for unpause.
    • Added "Log Sound" checkbox to Sound Groups. You can now log a single Sound Group's events if that's the one you're troubleshooting.
    • Added a preview sound icon (and stop preview icon) to Playlist setup section. Works in edit mode.
    • Added a preview sound icon (and stop preview icon) to Mixer section. Works in edit mode.
    • Added a preview sound icon (and stop preview icon) to Group Inspector. Works in edit mode.
    • Added a preview sound icon (and stop preview icon) to Variation Inspector. Works in edit mode.
    • Added a preview sound icon (and stop preview icon) to clips in Dynamic Sound Group Creator. Works in edit mode.
    • The preview sound buttons work in edit mode even when using Resource file clips!
    • Fixed a bug where going to a scene with no Playlist Controller gave an ugly error if you had one in the previous scene. Now it's a useful error if that happens.
    • Please delete AudioManager.cs in the MasterAudio/Editor folder when upgrading to this version as this file has been renamed. There was a bug on Mac with a name conflict.
    • Made audio previewing respect the Variation or Playlist song volume.
    • Added PlaylistState property to PlaylistController. Return values are: NotInScene, Stopped, Playing, Paused, Crossfading. Also now displaying this in the Jukebox.

38. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks im. We try our hardest!

39. imtrobin

imtrobin

I have a question, is there reserved channels for the soundgroups? There is a limitation of 32 channels in hardware (depending), in OpenAL, I would reserve some channels for specific soundgroups to ensure they are not drowned out when too many sounds are playing. Is there something similar?

40. jerotas

jerotas

Not exactly. Per Sound Group you can assign a limit of voices (or polyphony). It is up to your implementation to make sure there aren't too many Groups playing at the same time though.

41. jerotas

jerotas

I've added a button that calculates average volume of all clips in a playlist and adjusts the volumes to match. This button also can do the same for Variations in a sound group and is there as well. It doesn't work on mp3's or streamed files and ignores them, but otherwise it's perfect.

A Master Audio user sent me the code, I can't take credit. But it will be in the next version!

42. Korindian

Korindian

Bought Master Audio a while ago but only imported it today, as I'm only getting to the audio part of my game right now. Just went through your docs...

Wow, you really have A LOT of functionality there, much more than I thought, covering everything that I'll need so far and then some. Of course, with your support, I know you'll add whatever I might need. I also wanted to say thanks for including comprehensive Playmaker actions! Will definitely post a review when I'm done implementing the audio in my project.

Quick question about best practice:
    In my game, when holding down the mouse button, I have a "powering up" on an object which happens up to a maximum. I have a "powering up" sound whose length extends a few seconds after the time it takes to get to the maximum. I have a second different looping sound which I'd like to blend in at the end of the first sound, so that this second sound can repeat forever as long as the user holds the mouse button down. How would you recommend I implement this... through sound groups (using a delayed start for the second clip) or through crossfading in a playlist controller somehow?

43. jerotas

jerotas

We use the Playmaker stuff ourselves sometimes. Quite useful for certain types of things!

You have two options:

1) Use a delayed 2nd clip as you said. Figure out the timing of the pause between the two started. Set the 2nd clip as looped. So you'll tell Master Audio to play both when the mouse is held down at first.

2) If there's no overlap between the sounds (this wasn't clear), you can use the event you can subscribe to tell you when the first sound is done playing, then play the looped sound from there.

Regardless of which you use, call MasterAudio.StopAllOf Sound on the looped clip when it's supposed to stop looping. Or call Stop on the PlaySoundResult.ActingVariation you get back when you call Play. You also could fade the looping sound out with any of the Fade commands.

Sounds like you'll want to assign a custom fade in to the looped sound. That's done in the UI.

44. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio 3.1.1 is live! Playlist mode and previewing improvements are there, among other useful stuff.

45. Parallel_

Parallel_

Hi, I'm a visual learner, and learn easiest by seeing examples. Is there any chance of a simple scene with MA and playmaker setup? I'm stuck and just need a peak at how it's done.

46. jerotas

jerotas

Sure, what sort of custom actions would you like to see used? There are 35.

47. Parallel_

Parallel_

Just a super simple setup with 'play sound' , to see how the group is setup in the Master audio script/prefab. As I can't seem to get any groups to register in my action, so I'm surely missing something very basic.

48. jerotas

jerotas

Sure, I made a simple scene and put it in the Master Audio Playmaker package. If you send me an email (support@darktonic.com) with your invoice I'll send you the newest MA with that package and you can check it out. This will be included in the next Asset Store version as well.

49. Parallel_

Parallel_

Thanks a lot, just sent you an email.

50. jerotas

jerotas

I'm on it. Will Filemail you in 2 minutes.