Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Master Audio - AAA Sound Solution. #1 audio plugin on Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dark_tonic, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jerotas

jerotas

I found a way to get rid of the bug I can't reproduce (attaching Variations to prefabs that get destroyed). It will be done in the next version or two.

2. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio is on sale for 80% off @ $12!!! More insanity! For 24 hours only.

3. Memory-Noise

Memory-Noise

Quick question: is it feasible to use the Layered Music feature to sync sound effects to the music? For example, Can I use very small clips and quantize them to 1/16th notes? I've tried other plugins and they usually don't offer this level of granularity.

( As a practical example see how Bit.Trip Runner handles this. The user can jump at any time, but the "jump" sound is always synced to the music. )

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

There is not a quantize feature, but you could have separate tracks for the different effects you want to trigger. As long as the track length is the same, you could pop the jump track in/out on the jump event.

Depending on the length of your music clip, this could introduce some memory overhead you don't want, so could require a unique code solution for the timing/quantization you're after.

Brian may have some additional ideas to offer when he's back online later today, so check back.

5. Kensai

Kensai

Question, is it possible to start a song or sound track at a certain time point? For example, start at 0:40.

Another question, is there any way to find out at what point we are on a track? (ask if we are at 0:25 or 0:45 or what have you)

This is mostly for the purposes of manual synchronization of non equal length music tracks.

Also, SoundManager PRO advertises integration with 2D toolkit. What about Master Audio?

6. Sonotrigger

Sonotrigger

Hey guys, just bought your Master Audio plugin taking the advantage of that super nice sale !

I'm quite new using Unity ... I imported the Master Audio package in to my Unity 4.2 and the plugin looks quite different to the picks / videos you are posting.

This is how my current PlayListController looks:

$Captura de pantalla 2013-12-04 a la(s) 17.03.51.png

Also, when I create the first playlist, I can't add more of them ... the Master Audio window looks like this:

$Captura de pantalla 2013-12-04 a la(s) 17.05.56.png

I can't neither see those nice colored controller buttons, mixer like controllers ...

I'm probably doing something wrong but ... this v3.0.1 that I imported looks more similar to v2.X versions that I found in few of your video tutorials ...

Any help on this ?

Thx so much in advance !

Attached Files:

7. jerotas

jerotas

Is there an error in your console window? You can collapse those two Audio Source components, you shouldn't touch those, they're used for cross-fading. I don't see your Playlist Controller "controls" though, which is weird.

For mixer buttons, you won't see them until you create some Sound Groups, so drag some clips into that drag area.

The 2nd video uses features which I will be submitting tomorrow. V3.0.1 only allows one Playlist Controller. Wait for that. If you like, I'll send you the newest version if you email us your invoice so you don't have to wait.

8. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, you can access the current Audio Source of the PlaylistController. Check out the API here: http://bit.ly/1bkiRei

However, note that the API has been updated for V3.0.1 which I'm submitting tomorrow (with multiple Playlist controllers). If you want that version now, email us your invoice#.

No, we don't currently have 2D toolkit support, no one had asked for it. Now it's on the list! However we've got at least half a dozen major features that SMPro doesn't have already.

9. Memory-Noise

Memory-Noise

In the end I've bought Killer waves and Master Audio, they still look like the best solutions for what I need for a project :)

Regarding my previous question: Assuming quantization is not available, what's the general latency of Master Audio? If latency is very small or close to none, I could write as a workaround a "Timing Manager" of sorts that listen for specific events from every object and then dispatches them to the AudioManager at the right time.

10. jerotas

jerotas

Latency is zero, we create everything up front and pool audio sources. Unless you are loading sounds from Resource files possibly. Then there could be a slight latency depending on the platform with the Resource sounds only. If you write a timing manager, I would like to see it and could roll it into a future version of MA with your permission. Up to you. Thank you for the support!

11. underoathgames

underoathgames

Hi, MA looks amazing! Not sure if this has been asked before but will this extension work with the free version of Unity3D? That's the one I'm currently using. Thanks for your time.

Edit: I have the free version of Unity 4.3

12. jerotas

jerotas

Of course! There are more free users than pro. You won't be able to use the Unity filter FX but everything else is there for you.

Let us know how you get on with it, we are always here for support.

13. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the 80% off sale. But I have one question…can the volume of sounds be controlled via script? For example I use NGUI and I have two sliders: One for music volume and one for effects volume. Can I wire my NGUI sliders to Master Audio to control the overall volume of my game's music and effects?

14. jerotas

jerotas

Yes you can. You can also control entire categories of sounds you set up (called buses) via Playmaker, our powerful EventScript or your own custom script. On top of that you can control the volume of all categories at once as well. There's 4 levels of volume if you use buses, otherwise 3. All are controllable.

15. jerotas

jerotas

I thought I would give the heads up to new Killer Waves users that BOTH of our plugins are on INSANITY SALE of 80% off right now.
    That means Killer Waves - the most advanced wave generating plugin (and more) on the Asset Store - can be yours for only $10 for a limited time! Here's a link for those interested: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/6640

16. Anderz

Anderz

Hi,
    I'm struggling to get the triggers in EventSounds to work.

For one, I can't get the tag or layer filters to work on anything but the Main Camera, where it works as intended.

In my example, I have two cubes with box colliders, Box A has the EventSounds script on it set to Trigger Enter, and Box B is tagged "EventSoundTrigger". On Box A, I have the tag filter on the ES script to "EventSoundTrigger". The box collider on Box A also set to "Is trigger".

Yet when Box A collides with Box B, I'm failing to get a sound. However, if I filter it to Main Camera, and I walk into the collider, the sound plays as expected.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

17. jerotas

jerotas

I'm not sure I understand. Cameras show or don't show certain layers that you can configure, but shouldn't have anything to do with collisions. Which layers can collider with each other (or not) is set up in the Physics window.

What do you mean by "filter it to Main Camera"? Tell me exactly what you change that makes it work or not and I'll see what we can figure out.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  18. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Thanks for your answer. But is it easy to do what I want? I don't want to have to add a whole lot of unnecessary functionality or overkill to my project just to do the simple volume control.

19. Anderz

Anderz

What I'm saying is that when the Main Camera is selected as the Tag Match in the Tag Filter for the Event Sounds (Script), the sound correctly triggers upon the Main Camera (the player) entering the trigger area.

However, if the Tag Filter is set to any other tag aside from Main Camera, and the object with that tag enters the trigger area, no sound gets triggered.

20. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, you can just set the mixer volume from your script if you only have one category of sounds. Like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. MasterAudio.MasterVolumeLevel = yourNewVolume;
    Music is not considered a category but has a separate volume control. I bet internally (not for the user to control) you will want to create additional categories though. Like our next game has 8 footstep sounds. That's one category. We can change the relative volume of all 8 with the footstep bus volume.

21. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, I wasn't aware there was a tag called "Main Camera". I see it now. That is the tag that the Main Camera in the scene has by default, so if you want something to trigger when colliding with the camera, you will need to use that tag filter "Main Camera", or you can change that tag and change your tag filter. That's correct.

Or you can use no tag filter in EventSounds and put the Main Camera in a certain layer that's in your layer filter.

22. jerotas

jerotas

You can also do it the other way around and put EventSounds on the player, and apply the tag filter of what tags the player would collider with...probably not ideal, just throwing out more ideas so you can decide.

23. Anderz

Anderz

I understand how it theoretically works, the problem is that it just doesn't...
    Any object aside from Main Camera that collides with object containing the Event Sounds trigger doesn't cause the designated sound to play. At all. With or without tags. I only mentioned Main Camera because that, strangely, seems to be the only game object in the scene that correctly triggers sounds.
    In my case, I have an object that animates itself into the collision area.
    Once it enters that area, it's supposed to play a sound, but it doesn't, no matter what I do.

24. jerotas

jerotas

Ok. Does the example scene work? It does for me. That uses Event Sounds to play a scream when the player dies.
    Why don't we briefly Skype and figure out what part you're missing. I'm briandhunsaker on Skype.

25. jerotas

jerotas

I forgot to mention, if you're trying to get 2DColliders (new Unity 4.3 stuff) to work with EventSounds, I haven't added that feature yet. Only 3D colliders work right now. It's on my list to add in the next version.

26. Anderz

Anderz

Thanks for your support. Not able to skype right now, but will give the demo scene a shot and see what I can learn.

This is all 3D in the latest version of Unity.

27. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, in order for a collision or trigger to occur, both objects colliding must have colliders and rigidbodies, and at least one of the rigidbodies must be a "gravity" rigidbody. You can also use a character controller instead of the gravity rigidbody I believe. Possibly part of this you're missing? If you already know all this, then never mind. It's worth checking though.

28. Anderz

Anderz

After looking into the demo scene, I came to the same realisation. This is exactly what the problem was: no rigid body. How silly of me to forget collision detection needs a rigid body.

Thanks for your instant support jerotas, it's been great.

29. jerotas

jerotas

Ah, well I'm glad we got to the bottom of it. Let me know if there's anything else missing you'd like us to add. I do have a good list going though and a very large update to submit in a couple days.

30. Rirath

Rirath

Any chance the 4.3 2DColliders is on that soon to be submitted update? I'm looking to jump in on this sale, but work almost exclusively in 2D with 2D physics for now.

Out of curiousity, SoundManagerPro mentions support of 2D Toolkit, which I also use. Any chance Master Audio has or will get support as well? Not sure exactly what "support" entails here, honestly. Quick search of his thread didn't shed much light. (Saw you in a thread with the SoundManagerPro author a few days back and have to say, I think this is the more advanced plugin.)

Thanks!

Edit - Just saw the mention of 2D Toolkit on the previous page, apologies for missing it. Count me as request #2 please. :) Any idea of exactly what this would do that couldn't currently be done?

31. jerotas

jerotas

2D colliders will likely not be in that update, which is being submitted in probably two days, but it will definitely be in the one after that. I run about a week between updates, so we're not talking about a long wait. The instant I finish the 2D collider part, I will post in the thread, at which point anyone can email me with their invoice# for an email update. If I have time I will add the 2D support for this update, but I haven't used the 2D stuff yet so I can't promise.

Sound Manager Pro is a good plugin. It handles the basics very well and slickly for sure. It just lacks most of the advanced features that Master Audio has accumulated over time. Then again, that plugin is still pretty new so we're not comparing apples to apples. When both are the same price, the choice is probably simple.

Yes, we are going to add 2D toolkit support. I'm also not exactly sure what that means, since we only very recently got 2D toolkit, and we don't do any audio with it. If anyone could let me know what sort of support they want for that, I'll make it a priority.

32. Rirath

Rirath

Sorry, made a few ninja edits to my post when I noticed someone mentioned it on the page before. Yeah, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what support entails and couldn't find any details over at SMP's thread. My guess would be things like 2D Toolkit's GUI functions, but I really can't say.

33. jerotas

jerotas

Hrmmmm, anyone? I bet we have lots of 2D Toolkit users.

34. jerotas

jerotas

Here's a clue from that thread:

"Any Tk 2d UISound Item or anything that runs through Tk 2d AudioManager will go through SoundManagerPro instead."

So yeah I'll check that out.

35. WarHead

WarHead

Brian has been extremely helpful with issues and questions in the past with Killer Waves. He's a super nice guy and helps when he can.

Heck he even did a Skype session to help me figure out a problem with my Halloween game I was running in to a strange issue on.

Anyone sitting on the fence, grab this deal while you can, he only makes Pro Level assets.

36. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you Warhead. But don't call me "Brain". That happens to me all the time haha.

37. WarHead

WarHead

LOL, yeah finger typo's but hey you're a brain and a Brian ;)

38. Rirath

Rirath

I'm in - bought. Thanks for the responses Jerotas.

My justification for anyone interested: While I think I could manually do most of the things my relatively simple games need so far, pretty much all games need at least some subset of these functions, so I'm sure this'll save me a lot of time in the long run and give me room to grow. If nothing else, it'll serve as a good example of doing it right. Right now I'm using a helper functions I wrote myself to play sounds and do random variation selection, but I haven't gotten around to pooling, much less crossfading, playlists, ducking, and so on.

I try not to use too many plugins since I don't really want everything done for me, and I don't want too many points of outside issues to deal with, or constraints based on plugin functionality, but there are some that are simply worthwhile. With the Playmaker support, this'll be great for rapid prototyping, and while it's really just a "nice to have", I look forward to the 2D events as well. Master Audio joins Playmaker, 2D Toolkit, and Ultimate FPS as some of the most worthwhile assets I've seen so far.

I'll write up a review once I've had some time to try it out. :)

39. jerotas

jerotas

"Sound Master" eh? Should we change the title? I know, I know, it's a bit late for that, brand recognition and all. Thank you and I totally agree with you about not using too many plugins. I usually end up using more plugins than I want to due to "this is going to save so much time!"

40. Rirath

Rirath

Wow, sorry - I must be tired. Got my wires crossed with SoundManagerPro for a moment, since I was doing a bit of comparison in tabs. :) SoundManagerPro + Master Audio = Sound Master, I guess. :confused:

41. jerotas

jerotas

That's what I figured :)

42. jerotas

jerotas

Sorry I lied. I finished 2D collision, 2D trigger enter 2D trigger exit methods for Event Sounds tonight. That will be going in the version about to be submitted :)

43. jerotas

jerotas

We had a PHENOMENAL 24-hour sale. It's now over. We made #5 on the top paid list of all assets! Our Killer Waves package is also showing up at #11! As a thank you, and for those who missed out on the sale, we have decided to extend the sale. The new price of Master Audio is $75 due to all the new features, but I just submitted a sale price of $15 (80% off) which will go into effect as soon as Unity approves it. The Killer Waves $10 sale is still on.

Thank you all and rest assured there are many awesome updates coming soon for this already best-in-class plugin!
    -Brian

44. atomtwist

atomtwist

I already wrote this in an email -
    but i figured it makes more sense to post it in the forum, since most of the support issues seem to get adressed here,
    and everybody will be able to see it:

i noticed that when i enable a unity effect on a variation (e.g. audio echo filter or reverb) and then play it - the sounding effect will cut of as soon as the sound clip has been played to it's end.
    So if the effects tail is longer in duration than the audio clip - it won't be heard.

Is it supposed to behave like this?

45. jerotas

jerotas

No, you've found a bug. I believe my an upcoming fix for a different bug will also fix this, but I'll make sure I fix it ASAP. Thank you for reporting it!

46. atomtwist

atomtwist

Cool. Thx for the quick reply.
    Lookin' forward for the next update cause i need multiple playlist controllers 2d event support....

47. jerotas

jerotas

As soon as they approve the price change (back on sale), I'll submit the code update. Hang in there!

48. jerotas

jerotas

Heads up! I've also fixed the numerous hard-to-reproduce but existing bugs with attaching Audio Sources to prefabs that get destroyed when a Scene changes. We now don't actually re-parent, but follow the "caller" around. Since we already had a low-overhead Coroutine (meaning not updating every frame but every .1 second) going for volume automation purposes, no additional performance cost was needed.

This also as a side effect fixes the FX tail bug reported above. These will both in the update that will hopefully be submitted tomorrow.

49. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio is back on sale for $15 for a limited time! Getting ready to submit the big update for you guys now, stay tuned!

50. MarioRuiz

MarioRuiz

Hey guys, just got it from the asset store, great stuff!, I was just wondering if there's any plans to include a parameter system. And sorry if it was already asked! that's 25 pages to read...