Search Unity

[RELEASED] Marvelous Techniques

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kirnu-Interactive, Aug 22, 2015.

1. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Arto,

The colours package simply generates a palette - which is all that it does and it is fine.

What I am thinking is how to apply the palette to Marvelous. At present the colours need to be drawn explicitly in a texture which makes the workflow to experiment with colours much slower, especially as each cube/object must have the specific colour applied to it.

So my question is more to do with the initial colour workflow of Marvelous as I wondered whether the initial texture could be generated from a palette, and then applied dynamically to any object - I think this could make it more flexible.

Does this make sense?

cheers

Nalin

ATeam_Production likes this.
  2. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Hi,
    In order to answer this question I have to know how the Color package works.
    I contacted the developed and will give you more information when he has answered to me.

-Arto

3. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Arto,

I don't think you need to know how the Color package works - this is simply a tool that can generate colours.

I think it is more whether the Marvelous shaders could have a mechanism that allows colours to be used without drawing them in a texture first?

cheers

Nalin

ATeam_Production likes this.
  4. kilik128

kilik128

any way to boost vertex color

5. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

It's not possible at the moment. In which way you'd want it to be boosted?

-Arto

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  6. kilik128

kilik128

not sure lol i continue too scearch

7. dobidori

dobidori

Hello,

This is great asset but sometimes it does not refresh screen well in both of the scene and game view. The half of game view is broken and scene view is not clean. When I switch several demo scenes, It takes some seconds or minute to see clean surface. Is there anything that I missed ?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

8. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

This happens because of a bug in Unity3D.
    You can read more from here: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?764610_81hm3emtgpjrgg46
    Shortly they say that this bug will be fixed in v5.4

-Arto

9. dobidori

dobidori

Hello,
    Oh I see, I am winder if Unity 5.2 or early 5.3 is safe with this issue. Currently I am using 5.3.2f1.
    Thanks for fast answer!

10. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Hi,
    I finally got the Colors package from the publisher.
    To answer your question you could modify the ColorExampleNodes script to change the selected objects vertex colors.

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Mesh-colors.html

-Arto

11. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks Arto,

What I was asking was whether this step where you create the texture in the Sketch @0:29 into the video

could be something that could be done in Unity as part of the workflow?

i.e. the user simply selects a range of colours and Marvelous could possibly handle this step at runtime by applying to any object.

Furthermore, if the Marvelous shaders could select the base colour then it could mean that when applying to an object you would not need a different cube for each colour - which is a drawback as it stands.

Does this make sense?

cheers

Nalin

12. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

There will always be some drawback when the requirement is that each object could have an unique color.
    1. if using vertex colors you would need different object for every different color
    2. if using material you'd need different material for each color.

If there are only few different colors this wouldn't be problem.
    If there are lot's of them then the vertex color approach would be more efficient because every material is one additional pass/draw call.

I think the texture approach is still the easiest one. You could write a script which generates a texture out of the Color asset colors to make things more dynamic.

-Arto

13. elpingui8

elpingui8

Hi Arto,

Thanks so much for your asset !!

I have difficulty creating the ocean of the "Island" scene..
    I create an instance of : building_waterbox.
    Then I put on it the Ocean shader and the EnableCameraDepthTexture script to the main Camera (OverlayCamera)..
    .. but, not working..

can you tell me the steps to create that ocean water like Island scene ?

Thanks so much again !!

14. kapoho

kapoho

Greetings Arto,

Thanks so much for creating the shaders! Really made our project run along smoothly.

Occasionally, we will encounter some jagged shadow problems. I want to blame the models, but I find this happens with unity primitives too. I have included some screenshots to see if you are familiar with this issue. Any help is appreciated!

Again, fantastic work. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  15. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Marvelous Techniques shaders use Unity shadow maps so the problem is in Unity side.
    This probably is due wrong shadow settings i.e too low shadow map resolution. You can tweak the shadow settings in QualitySettings section.

Also make sure you have proper lightmap UVs generated to your models.

-Arto

16. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Can you tell me what's not working in your set up?

To create ocean you have to use OceanCreator tool and OceanWaver script in the created ocean in order to wave it properly.

-Arto

17. Tsuole

Tsuole

Hi, I'm really loving this asset. However I've been desperately trying to work around this one issue - is there any way to alter any of the shaders to be in control of all four sides vertex light? Currently the most I can get is Front, Top, Right and Rim. The problem is that rim is responsible for two faces and I would like to control that individually.

How would I do this?

Or, even just two opposing faces (if we're talking about a square) and leave the other sides unaffected?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  18. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Unfortunately this is not possible without rewriting the shaders.

-Arto

19. hunz

hunz

Hey,

Thank you again for the lovely shader set. I've been looking for shader replacements as the one I've been using has been depreciated and I need to keep all my projects up-to-date with current unity builds.

In testing I noticed that light probes don't seem to function. Is that something you may implement later or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again!

20. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Yes you are right about that. Light probes are not supported. That's mainly because the whole asset package is based on custom lighting shaders where default lighting is not used at all.

-Arto

21. hunz

hunz

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

22. huks615

huks615

hello, great tool you've created! thank you for that.

i just have a quick question. is there way to change the colors via script?

i want to have 1 material and change out the colors at curtain point of the experience.

thank you.

23. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Arto,

Just wondering if there is any way that the shaders can be modified to accept/receive real-time shadows? which don't seem to work at present?

thanks

Nalin

24. deadswine

deadswine

Would such graphics be possible with those shaders?

25. alvifarooq

alvifarooq

Hi,

I just bought the package and so far looks really good and am excited to use it! I like the example with the large sun and am wondering how I could apply a light texture to the background Quad? I saw an overlay shader as well so if I'm not using a background quad with the gradient shader, is there a way for the camera background color to show a light texture.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Farooq

26. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

For some reason I'm not getting any notification about new post from this thread.

It's possible to modify material colors. Take a look at CustomLightingManager to get an idea how to change shader properties via script.

-Arto

27. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

There already are shaders with realtime shadows. Aren't these working for you?

-Arto

28. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

I don't see anything which wouldn't be possible with included shaders.
    The scene is using very simple lighting with lightmaps which is possible with MT custom lighting shaders.

-Arto

29. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'light texture'. Can you post an image of what you are trying to achieve here?

-Arto

30. Frpmta

Frpmta

Does this asset support custom coloring of faces with either fixed colors or gradients just like COLR?
    And if it doesn't, will it in the future?

31. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

With custom lighting shaders you can specify colors for top, right, front and other sides (rim). In current version only fixed colors are supported but I have already implemented gradient colors and this will be included in next release.
    If you'll purchase the package you can get the new version by requesting it by email.

As you can see COLR package suggest to use Marvelous Techniques for extended features in their web page:
    'For extended capabilities, check out the Marvelous Techniques asset, which inspired Colr.'

This text is there for a good reason.

-Arto

32. Frpmta

Frpmta

Okay, last question: can I make day to night transitions with the lighting shaders provided?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  33. alvifarooq

alvifarooq

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I meant any overlay style texture e.g. if I wanted to do a "paper effect" on the background/sky. If I do a full overlay, it would be on the whole screen.

Regards,

Farooq

34. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

There is a CustomLightingManager script included which you can use to simulate day/night cycle.

-Arto

35. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

So you are asking is there a shader similar to LinearGradientBG which supports textures.
    The answer is no there isn't such a shader at the moment but if you want one contact me via email and I'll make new shader for you.

-Arto

36. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Arto,

Sadly the MT shaders seem unable to receive shadows as per the attached files where the standard shader (on the planes does)

thanks

Nalin Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 16.13.02.png Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 16.12.25.png

37. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Only shaders which end with letters 'RS' (for example CustomLightingSimpleRS) support real time shadows.

-Arto

38. Frpmta

Frpmta

Hey there, got asked two more questions:
    -Is it only for isometric games or can it also support a 3rd person camera? See Unity made Lucky's Tale. [You said you can configure a shader to work with the top, front and right face, but can there be a way to apply another one for the bottom, back and left faces? Just me hypothesizing, I haven't used the asset.]
    -Does it includes shaders for characters or how to make them match the environment to make them feel coherent with the MT shaders?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  39. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks Arto, should have read the manual :oops:

40. Zer0Naught

Zer0Naught

Great package, great shaders, great updates.

I've been using this shader on a current build of my game and I realised that I've lost around 10fps when I use it, is this about right? Or does that sound wrong to you?

41. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

I'm getting these errors when I imported the asset, and when opening the Cave example scene. The CustomLightingSimpleSoftFog shader reverts to a magenta color shader.

Unity 5.3.4f1 and Marvelous Techniques 1.2.2, my project is DX9 running on Windows 10

42. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Thanks. I'll fix this in next release.
    Meanwhile you can change your player mode to d3d11 in player settings.

-Arto

43. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Can you say what shaders you used before and what shaders you use now?
    What kind of scenes you have? Do they have lots of materials, objects?

-Arto

44. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

- I can't see any reason you couldn't use these shaders for 3rd person camera games
    - I doesn't include dedicated shaders for characters. Can't give you any tips how to match your characters to the environment because it's mainly matter of taste.

Frpmta likes this.
  45. HellHoundOne

HellHoundOne

Hello!

I am very glad I found this assets, this is exactly what we need! I have only one question.
    Do you have any info on how this asset performs on older iOS devices? With older devices I mean iPad 2 and iPhone 5.

Overall this asset seems awesome! :)

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  46. alvifarooq

alvifarooq

Thanks Arto! For the current game I've decided to not use the gradient shader so I won't need it. But it would be nice if you could queue it for the next update? Thanks!

47. Zer0Naught

Zer0Naught

We use a single material for all static object, a single material with little to no transparency, simple materials for dynamics, have no shadows or anti-aliasing and have about 15k verts in scene. The only thing I can think of that's choking my FPS, are the shaders. I seem to be GPU bound.

Tested on Google Nexus 7:

48. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Strange. It seems 30 fps is the top limit. Have you tried to force the fps to 60?

-Arto

49. Zer0Naught

Zer0Naught

No can do unfortunately, some devices lock it to 30 as is.

I've an idea, but I'm not sure if I'm correct with this. I've been testing different devices, which have different chipsets and everything seems to work fine except an NVidia Tegra3 chipset. Although I've only tested one of these, so I'm still unsure if that's the issue.

Does anything else come to mind?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  50. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

The version 1.2.3 will include new CustomLightingMaster shader which will replace all old CustomLighting shaders

jonfinlay likes this.