Search Unity

[RELEASED] Marvelous Techniques

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kirnu-Interactive, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Benjamin.chevalier

Benjamin.chevalier

Hi Arto,

I was wondering, would you be able to provide that option in the shaders as global setting ? Or maybe referencing an existing real light in the script that'd be used to define global light direction ? (hope what i m saying makes some kind of sense)

Additionally, I am working on a RTS type of game and i would really use the following :
    Fog(distance+Y) support for the CustomLighting Distance Light
    Fog(distance+Y) + Distance Light support for the Ocean shader

cheers,
    ben

2. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Hi Ben,
    Yes It's possible to make a shader which takes the light direction from existing directional light. In fact I have already done this when experimenting but not included it in the package yet. The fixed lighting is easier to understand and use I think.

>Fog(distance+Y) support for the CustomLighting Distance Light
    This is possible.

>Fog(distance+Y) + Distance Light support for the Ocean shader
    I would like to know what kind of effect you are trying to achieve with this kind of shader.I mean the ocean shader has it own 'lighting' and adding another would mess it up.

-Arto

3. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Just buyed! Thanks for such great asset! :)
    Hope to learn a lot from all the scenes and documentation, and great to see the package getting more a more stuff.

Thanks! :)

4. kenlem

kenlem

I just upgraded to 5.3 and have problems with the Bloom and Screen Texture Blend causing render errors. Here is a sample scene. The really odd thing is that if let the lighting build, the error goes away in the sample. In my own scenes, the rendering error is still there after I bake lighting. If I turn off both the Bloom and Screen Texture Blend it goes away. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

5. kenlem

kenlem

Argh... I turned on Realtime GI, set a Skybox baked and it now works. I turned off GI and the skybox and it seems OK now. 5.3 related, I guess.

Arrggghhhh.... it worked for a moment and now it's back to render errors.

6. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Good to know you got it sorted out.
    5.3 is behaving very strangely and badly. Almost all scenes are screwed up like in your picture and after tweaking some random values all suddenly works perfectly :)
    I noticed weird shader compilation errors in the ocean shaders and fixed them. I still don't know what was wrong in them but I somehow managed to fix them. Unity doesn't like if I use property named lightAmount for some reason.

-Arto

7. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Just uploaded new version to Asset Store where v5.3 issues are fixed.

-Arto

8. kenlem

kenlem

Thanks for the quick response. I'll grab the update when it's live.

9. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Might take up to two weeks though.

-Arto

10. kenlem

kenlem

Not a problem. I have lots of other work I can do in the mean time.

11. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi, I watched through the videos, however I'd like to know if this shader could be applied to low poly models bought from the store, or do the models need to be made in Blender? In fact can it be applied to any 3D model, accepting that the textures would need to be modified/coloured? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  12. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Hi Jon,
    The models doesn't need to be made in Blender. Every model should work with these shaders. Of course they should have basic stuff like vertex normals but I don't this would be problem with models bought from the asset store.

-Arto

13. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Thank you. I'll give it some more thought.

Just to confirm some doubts:

- It should work with this asset and others like it? https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/46149
    - It should be compatable with this upcoming LiveWallpaper asset? http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ul...apers-with-unity-5.375255/page-2#post-2444626
    - Are any programming skills required? For example do you provide the scripts for the buoyancy used in your water scene, so it can be reapplied to my own models, boats etc?

Thanks a lot

14. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

The shaders should work with everything out of the box. No programming skills required.
    Of course I haven't tested with all devices existing so there can be some things not working with some devices.

If you find something not working I'll try my best to fix the problems.

-Arto

15. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Ok thanks a lot, I'll re-watch your demo videos and check I understand the process, then consider buying it later today. Cheers

16. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Just one quick final question: You wrote that the shaders have been tested on an iPad 4th gen, do you know whether they would work on older phones? Do you happen to have an .apk to test it? Thanks

17. kilik128

kilik128

look hard work for get good result
    any chance to see one script try make ambiance automatique scene setup ?
    like prefab preset

18. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

What do you mean? Can you be more specific.

-Arto

19. kilik128

kilik128

on script for change ambiance color fog color and all shader in scene with harmony color
    like light of day

20. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Yes we have discussed about this earlier. I will definitely add some kind of script to change properties of all custom lighting shaders simultaneously.

-Arto

21. kilik128

kilik128

Ok sorry for noobs it's shader 2.0 or 3.0 ?

screen overlay is compatible with render texture ?

22. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Shader model 2.0.
    Screen overlay is just a quad with a special shader so yeah it's compatible if that's what you meant.

-Arto

23. roach_779

roach_779

Is it just me? I can't see any buy buttons. Just 30% off.

24. kilik128

kilik128

i have buy for test and yes it's hard to use not sure to understand all at this time
    why use main color for make fake lighting is added by multiply or screen

25. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

I honestly don't understand what you are saying there. Could you rephrase the question.

-Arto

26. kilik128

kilik128

yes nothings sorry forget it ! :)
    any way for vegetation cutout shader

27. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

What is vegetation cutout shader?

-Arto

28. JBacal

JBacal

Hi Arto,

I am looking forward to using your asset.

Just so that you know, your demo "cave" link on the asset store page seems to load the "water color" demo.

Best wishes,
    Jay

29. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hey, in a future update would you be able to include a texture power slider, similar to the layout texture power slider? Usually what I find testing it with 3rd party assets is that the textures are too strong, and you lose some of the minimalism.

30. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Thanks, it's fixed now.

-Arto

31. elpingui8

elpingui8

Hello , I finished a project with Unity 4.6.1 which you could really improved graphics with your assets .. but : which can be used in version 4.6 ? I'm afraid to move everything to Unity 5.

I appreciate your work and would greatly appreciate your response.

32. kilik128

kilik128

exemple for tree or grass

33. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Are you asking does the package work with Unity 4.6?

I have used the package only with Unity 5.x so I can't say how it will work with 4.6.

Shaders should work ok but there were no image effects in free Unity 4.6 for example. Also scrips might not be compatible with 4.6.

-Arto

34. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi Arto,

I created a beach scene using the Ocean Depth shader. When I transferred it to my Android phone, the ocean lost its transparency and the foam. I originally thought that it was because I'm using an old phone, but then I tested the Transparency shader and the transparency worked fine. My question is: Is the ocean shader not supported in Android? Have you tested the shaders on an Android phone?

Thanks
    Jon

35. LtCalumbo

LtCalumbo

Hi there,

This is a look and feel I've been trying to achieve for a while now. What I'd like to know before buying though is how well your shaders would work in a 3rd person camera style game?

Below is a screenshot of what I'm creating but it's just missing something that your examples on the asset store seem to have.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Calum

Attached Files:

36. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

While the package is mainly intended to be used in isometric games you can use the shaders also in 3rd person camera style game.
    If there are something missing or not working I'll make new shaders which hopefully will.

-Arto

LtCalumbo likes this.
  37. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Some Android devices might not support depth texture which is used to create the ocean effect. I have to investigate more if this is Unity issue or device issue and how to fix it.
    If some one already knows the answer to this issue please let me know.

-Arto

38. kimwoonyung

kimwoonyung

Hi , Just Bought this asset, It is really great as expected.

I'm currently building monument-valley like game , and this asset really helps me on Shader Part.

Thank you for this great asset! : )

little problem is that my calculations are based on different Camera Pos & Rot, as in the picture I uploaded.

I really want to use CustomLighting Shader, but the _FrontColor, _RightColor ,_RimColor does not match my camera view.

Is there anyway that I can match those colors with my view?

I was thinking of changing calculateLighting function in marvelous.cginc, but it was hard for me to understand what

was going on there.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Kim

Attached Files:

39. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

I added feature to use a Unity light to set the direction of the custom lighting.
    Please contact me via email and I'll send you the new version when it's ready to be tested.

rubble1 and kimwoonyung like this.
  40. kimwoonyung

kimwoonyung

Oh, that is really great! so it's available to set directions and colors in new version.

Thank you so much, I'll send you a email.

41. Zer0Naught

Zer0Naught

I was wondering if there was a way to have the 'CustomLightingSimpleSoftFog' shader receive shadows? Is this possible?

I'd love to include this shader in my game, but this is the only feature which is putting me off using it. It casts shadows, but doesn't receive any.

42. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi, after a month using this package I've found it to be one of the most useful assets I have. It seems to work fine as a Unity Terrain shader as well. It is very flexible and you can create a wide range of styles. In a future update, could you include an example of a vintage 1960's effect? I tried using reds and yellows, and creating a new vintage radiant, but I haven't been able to get the desired effect. And regarding the new Real-time lighting, could you include a simple night and day system which changes the shader properties over the day? Thanks

43. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

The shader will be included in the next version.
    -Arto

44. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you like the package.

Do you have an image of the 60's effect you are after?
    The next version will include a CustomLightManager so you can simulate the day/night cycle easily by changing the ambient color for all materials at once.

-Arto

45. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

OK great!

Here is a design which I had in mind that could look good:
    http://netdna.webdesignerdepot.com/uploads/2013/09/matthew_lyons.jpg

Alternatively, it would be using a similar style and colours to this:
    http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/retr...f-flat-design-style-illustration-37353215.jpg

I just think the vintage look would look great with this shader and would be interesting to see what you could come up with. No rush though.

46. InsaneGoblin

InsaneGoblin

Hey Arto, quick question:

Having lots of issues getting water animated via shader with an ortho camera. I have seen your demos and especially interested in the water with the small island scene (or even better: the "building" scene; but I'm quite sure that is a whole mesh being animated). Can you confirm that is a shader and not mesh animation, and it would work with an ortho camera?

Thanks!

47. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

The water animation is a mesh animation done with script. It can be done with shader but I decided to use a script instead.
    The current implementation uses depth texture so it would not work well using an ortho camera. I might add a solution in the future releases which uses a custom depth map so you could use it also with orho cameras.

-Arto

48. InsaneGoblin

InsaneGoblin

I see, what a shame. Thanks for your quick reply!

49. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Arto

I bought this asset a few months ago and only now am I able to spend some time with it. It looks really nice and thank you for the tutorials.

Going through the documentation you state how important it is for the colour selection at the beginning, so I am thinking of using it with the GameLogic colors package that can generate harmonious palettes.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29345

Looking at the workflow it seems that each colour needs to be part of the core texture, and each object needs to have its UV's specific for this texture. I wondered whether you have considered improving this so that a global palette could be constructed and the colour applied to any object without it needing specific UVs for that colour? If this is possible as part of the workflow I think this would improve the speed of iterating with various colours and objects, and open up more possibilities.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

cheers

Nalin

jonfinlay likes this.
  50. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Hi Nalin,
    I read the colors package documentation and watched the tutorial video but none of these didn't tell how the colors are applied to the objects. Are they vertex colors or do every object have different material and the diffuse color is changed or is it something else?

-Arto