Search Unity

[RELEASED] Marggob SSAO

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by marggob, Apr 23, 2020.

1. marggob

marggob

Cover Image.jpg

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/fullscreen-camera-effects/marggob-ssao-166316

Marggob SSAO is designed according to the original scheme. At a speed acceptable for modern GPUs, our SSAO provides high quality and clarity of details.

Features
    • Based on Raymarching method
    • Uses temporal denoising to improve the image
    Limitations
    • Only Deferred Rendering
    • Guaranteed to work only on Windows
    • Dont support URP or HDRP (In the development)
    Minimum Requirements
    • Software
      • Unity 2018+
      • NET 4.X equivalent
    • Hardware
      • Recommended GTX 1050ti or more powerful.
    Works In Progress
    • Post Processing Stack v.2 support
    • Forward Rendering Support
    • Automatic downsampling for high screen resolutions
    • Single and Multi-pass VR support
    • URP or HDRP support
    Updates will be released approximately once a month. Unfortunately, I can't work faster, because I'm very busy with my main job.

I will be happy to read your suggestions and comments. I will implement the most valuable tips in the asset.
    As the asset is updated, I will update the information in this post.

P.S. This asset is under development. So please don't give me too much hate in the comments. I will fix bugs as quickly as possible. :)

2. one_one

one_one

Hi, the example screenshots are very convincing. But what are the main differences to e.g. Unity's SSAO algorithm or other popular AO asset, such as horizon-based AO?

3. marggob

marggob

The built-in SAO Unity is much worse in quality, but faster. I show them in pictures.

In a standard SSAO, many small details are lost.

As for the other SSAO in the store, I only compared it to AmplifyOcclusion. The speed and quality are about the same.
    The algorithm for intersecting the beam with the surface I came up with myself and I do not know which type is the most correct to attribute my SSAO. The principle of operation of my SSAO is closest to "raymarching".

UPD: I use Bent Normal for better reflection occlusions. I have not seen this in any SSAO.
    Pay attention to the seams between the bricks.
    BrickREflectionOcclusion.png

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  4. one_one

one_one

That's a pretty interesting comparison shot. Yes, indeed, there does seem to be a lot more smaller detail that is preserved. So when you're saying speed and quality are comparable to AmplifyOcclusion, does that mean that performance is comparable when toning down details?

5. marggob

marggob

I don't understand English very well. I use a Google translator. As I understand you, you are asking whether the quality is preserved at the same speed as Amplify Occlusion? Yes, the quality and speed are about the same. Details are not lost.

one_one likes this.
  6. angelonit

angelonit

It would be great if there was a playable demo to try to see how it looks in play

7. marggob

marggob

Hello. I abandoned this asset in view of the high employment in the main job.