Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Magica Cloth

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by hoshos, Jan 22, 2020.

1. AngelGalaxyOfficial

AngelGalaxyOfficial

Hi there,

I am using an imported character from Character Creator 4. I am using Magica Cloth v1.2.10 and using MeshCloth for the Skinned Mesh Renderer hair. (Your official guide)

However, after using the 'Start Point Selection' tool and setting it up to where I want points to be fixed and others to move, then test the game. This happens:

Points that are set to move are stretched while others aren't. How can I fix this? Thank you. (For testing purposes, I only set a few points on the hair to 'Move'. Those are the ones stretched out while the rest are fixed points. Hence why the rest of the hair isn't stretched!)

2. hoshos

hoshos

Hello.
    This may be a forget to paint the movement point.
    For example, two vertices overlap and one is not painted well.
    But this image alone doesn't tell us the details of the problem.

First check if vertex reduction is appropriate.
    https://magicasoft.jp/en/magica-cloth-virtual-deformer-2/
    MagicaCloth creates a mesh for simulation by reducing the vertices of the mesh for drawing.
    Simulation problems can occur if the resolution of the simulation mesh is too high.
    Try increasing this value slightly to reduce the resolution of the simulation mesh.
    This may solve the problem by merging two overlapping vertices.

3. AngelGalaxyOfficial

AngelGalaxyOfficial

Hi there, I tried messing with that quite a bit and a few other settings but the same issue happens. Move Points in the hair cause it to stretch out like the following:

4. hoshos

hoshos

I see.
    I still don't quite understand the cause.
    Can I get a project that has this problem?
    If you have a project, you can find out why here.
    If possible, could you send it to my support email or my [In Box]?
    mail: support@magicasoft.jp

5. AngelGalaxyOfficial

AngelGalaxyOfficial

Hi there, I created a fresh project in order to send to your email and it magically works but only in the new project. I have no idea why... I'll try to figure this out.. :(

6. hoshos

hoshos

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    It appears to be a very unrepeatable glitch.
    If you have a procedure or project that causes it, please let us know.

7. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

Hello, I use DAZ characters with a lot of Blendshapes (so player can customize them runtime). Is there a plan to bring blendshapes support?

8. hoshos

hoshos

Hello.
    Unfortunately there are no plans to support blendshapes.
    Because MagicaCloth deforms vertices, it conflicts with the blend shape function.
    Therefore, MagicaCloth does not support blend shapes.

However, it may coexist with some blendshapes.
    For example, it may be possible to use it in combination with a blend shape that changes the body shape.
    However, as mentioned above, since the functions are competing, it is impossible to predict what the result will be without actually testing it.
    Sometimes they can work well together.

9. QbAnYtO

QbAnYtO

Can you maybe share some presets? I love this asset but there is so much customization and nothing seems to make my characters hair “loose” and I just want her hair to move like the dancing girl’s purple hair in the second video of your asset page in the unity asset store website.
    My characters hair moves when she jumps and runs but it is still a bit stiff.

also, is magicaCloth resource heavy? How much of this can I use per scene?

10. hoshos

hoshos

Hello.
    Sorry it is not possible to supply a preset that meets your request.
    The presets are just a guideline for movement.
    Therefore, it is essential for the user to adjust the parameters themselves in order to achieve a satisfactory movement.
    We already have many variations available as default presets.
    It's a good idea to test them one by one and adjust the preset that works closer to your ideal.
    By the way, [DynamicBoneStyle_PonyHair] should be the closest for purple hair movement.
    https://magicasoft.jp/en/magica-cloth-preset-2/

Regarding the stiff movement problem, I haven't seen the actual movement, so it's difficult to give precise advice, but please try the following.

(1) Loosen the spring
    By lowering the Restore Power of the Restore Rotation parameter, it will move slowly.
    If you have long hair, it is a good idea to use curves and lower the value further toward the ends.
    https://magicasoft.jp/en/paramater-restore-rotation-2/

(2) Lower gravity
    Strong gravity can pull particles to the ground and restrict their movement.
    If the gravity is strong, try lowering it.
    In some cases, it is effective to set the gravity to 0.
    https://magicasoft.jp/en/paramater-gravity-2/

(3) Increase air resistance
    Increasing the Drag parameter increases air resistance.
    As the resistance increases, the particles move more slowly.
    https://magicasoft.jp/en/paramater-drag-2/

Finally, regarding the performance of MagicaCloth.
    MagicaCloth has MeshCloth and BoneCloth, but MeshCloth is quite heavy.
    So if you are planning to use it on mobile devices, you may experience performance issues.
    The weight of MeshCloth is completely proportional to the number of vertices.
    Therefore, there will be no problem when using it for meshes that do not have many vertices.
    Also performance is completely CPU dependent.
    GPU is irrelevant.
    And the more cores the CPU has, the better the performance.
    Please pay attention to this point.
    Don't forget to measure your performance with a profiler to catch any problems before they happen.
    All loads can be seen in Profiler.

11. spicerack

spicerack

Is it possible to record / log MagicaCloth bone movements using a script, and import the log data as an animation?

This will help improve performance and reduce need for experimental unity packages.

12. hoshos

hoshos

Hello.
    Unfortunately, it is not possible with the function of MagicaCloth.
    However, BoneCloth only moves and rotates each Transform.
    Therefore, it is technically possible to record and replay Transform movements.
    You can write scripts and make your own, or there may already be such assets in the Asset Store.

13. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Hi. Any progress on this issue? Unity's latest networking library (Unity Transport) depends on Collections 2.x, so Magica Cloth cannot be used with these libraries ...

14. hoshos

hoshos

Hello.
    2.x of the Collections package was still in the experimental stage and pending support.
    However, if Unity Transport is already using 2.x, I would like to respond as soon as possible.
    I'm currently having a Black Friday sale, so I'll update when the sale is over.
    It will probably be in the middle of next month.

Kichang-Kim likes this.
  15. kiksunitydev

kiksunitydev

Is there any way to do moving cloth with mouse interaction,

16. hoshos

hoshos

Hello.
    Unfortunately this feature doesn't exist.