Search Unity

[RELEASED] Magic Missiles

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Archanor, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Archanor

Archanor

0.png collage1.png collage2.png gui icons.png

Magic Missiles is a VFX pack featuring 25 magic missiles and explosions. The asset also includes cast and impact sound effects, as well as GUI icons for each missile.

✅ Standard and URP support

Asset Store | WebGL Demo

Features
    • 25 missile & impact VFX
    • 25 spell icons (128x128)
    • 50 sound effects
    • 11 area effect VFX
    • 5 arcane circle VFX
    • Easily scale effects with Transform
    • Interactive demo project

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    Assets-Reporter and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Wow! This looks very good and beautiful, and I have already bought magic projectiles, and his seems to be a perfect additional asset

Archanor likes this.
  3. hopeful

hopeful

I like the way you present the missile and trail in the asset store pictures. And the GUI icons, too. It's very clear what a buyer is getting.

Very nice! :)

Assets-Reporter and Archanor like this.
  4. Archanor

Archanor

Thank you :) Although I updated Magic Projectiles with a lot of other content, I think I will be focusing on the missiles in this pack, and I hope to update it with included sound effects if I can get in touch with a sound effect artist.

5. Archanor

Archanor

I've updated the pack with a new introductory price at -25% :)

6. Archanor

Archanor

I made a small GIF album featuring some of the missile effects in a static position. However, I'm afraid they don't loop perfectly.

Let me know if you want to see a full album, or any other specific effects.

7. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

We had the chance to test and review it and we really like the effects (special mention to the arcane). Very clean asset, and it is nice to provide an APK demo preview for those who target mobile devices.
    Great work!
    Our review is here: http://assetsreporter.com/2015/07/25/review-magic-missiles/

Archanor likes this.
  8. Archanor

Archanor

Appreciate the review & feedback :)

9. hopeful

hopeful

If this goes on sale, let us know. I see the Magic Projectiles just went on sale, but I already have that.

I don't really need the Magic Missiles, as I already have a lot of stuff of this nature, but if it's on a good sale I might not be able to resist. It's good to have some alternate art. :)

10. Archanor

Archanor

I will :) Solely from counting the sales, people seem to be more interested in Magic Projectiles rather than Magic Missiles, so I decided to reduce the price for a while.

On a side note, do you have any suggestions to what could make this pack more useful or better?

11. hopeful

hopeful

I think the package / presentation for Magic Missiles looks great. But it's clear there's some overlap with Magic Projectiles (fire, frost, life, lightning, etc.), and a lot of us already own the Projectiles.

Additionally, aside from similarity to the Projectiles, another ding on the Magic Missiles might be that lot of the missiles look very similar to each another. In the Projectiles kit there's more visual distinction between FX, plus sprays, domes, shields, etc.

But I suspect the main reason the Missiles are not as popular as the Projectiles is simply because people don't know about them. Magic Projectiles was featured on the asset store for months - on the main page and on the particles page - and was a 24-hour deal once, if I remember correctly. So it has had a lot of exposure that - to the best of my knowledge - Magic Missiles has lacked.

I think that Magic Missiles could probably get that exposure if it featured something innovative that other spell kits lack.

Now, my personal view on the pack is that I could use Magic Missiles as alternatives for effects I already have with Magic Projectiles, like Lightning Bolt A and B. And ideally I would have one of them do minor damage, while the other does major damage ... something like that. However, both sets of FX look like they're about the same in power. So if I wanted to use the FX in the sense of one being associated with a minor spell and one being associated with a major spell, I'd still need to do some tweaking on my own.

So, taking all of that into account, here's some thoughts which could be used for enhancing the pack:

1) In addition to the FX you've already got in the Missiles pack, make a change to each FX of an augmenting nature, so that you've got two similar looking versions for each, but one is clearly a minor version and one is clearly a major version of the same effect. This way, not only are you providing an alternate inside the kit, one effect seems more powerful than the other. This would be conveyed not just by a size change on the missile, though that could be part of it. Maybe a size change and an extra orbiting particle, or a larger impact effect, a wider trail, or a few variations like that. Probably just two key changes per missile would be sufficient to suggest that one effect is for a lesser spell and one is for a more powerful spell.

Now, I know that customers ought to be able to make such modifications to the particles they buy on their own, and that's what I would do. But maybe there are some buyers who are new to particles and don't know what to do, or are too busy with other things to make adjustments on their own, and would appreciate the convenience of a kit that has some power levels built in.

2) For me the most tempting effect of the set is the Death missile. It reminds me of an effect I saw in another game. If I was to pick up this kit it would be mainly for that effect. I would take it and make some minor alterations to it to make it the basis of a whole set of spells. As I see it, a portion of the Death FX could be useful as a casting effect that would appear around the hands during the spell casting animation. I could shrink it to make it suitable as a base effect for some purple eye beams. I could enlarge it in a few different ways to create a full body effect (when cast on an enemy), or a binding effect (like to hold hands and/or feet together), or a disk-like area of effect that would go on the floor, catching those enemies who are inside the radius and dealing damage. I might even use a variation of it that begins small, quickly grows, and then slightly shrinks and fades, as a teleport effect.

While those are ideas about how I would use it, one change I might try to make on the Death missile itself - as a missile effect - is to give the cloudy wisps long trails, or something like that, so it looks stickier. Then I'd use the spell to provide a slowing effect, in addition to damage and maybe a minor temporary loss of attack strength.

Anyway, those are a few thoughts on the Magic Missile set and what might make it more attractive to more buyers. I think it's a nice looking, well-presented kit - with icons and everything - but there's an overlap with the Magic Projectiles, and doing some simple things to create differences between the kits might help it stand out.

12. Archanor

Archanor

Lots of good feedback here. Thank you for that. I'm not sure if I'm able to reply to all of it though!

What Magic Missiles does better than Magic Projectiles, is that it's more optimized for mobile devices, but it still looks good on PC's. Instead of having 4-7 (iirc) particle systems per projectile, Magic Missiles have 2-5.

I like the idea of a more powerful version of the missiles, and I might just experiment with something like that. I was also thinking of updating with a few more elemental types, I have ideas for at least 5 new ones.

Magic Missiles do also have a few extras like the magic circles and AOE prefabs, I might build a bit further on that.

13. hopeful

hopeful

Oh, no need for a detailed response. I was just throwing some ideas off the top of my head, hoping something might wind up being helpful. :)

larku likes this.
  14. Archanor

Archanor

Magic Missiles is now 50% off until the end of the month!

hopeful likes this.
  15. hopeful

hopeful

Aaaaand ... bought!

Thank you, Archanor! :)

These are just extra effects for me, I think, but I'm happy to have them. Maybe in the coming weeks I can get to play around with them a bit.

Archanor likes this.
  16. Archanor

Archanor

10 minutes? I thought you'd be faster than that, haha!

Looking forward to checking out your review! ;)

hopeful likes this.
  17. Archanor

Archanor

Magic Missiles is once again 50% off through the end of the month!

18. Archanor

Archanor

Incoming update! Featuring sound effects for all the missiles, as well as a visual upgrade with added trail renderers on some effects.

The asset will continue to be 50% off until the end of june.

Version 1.1 (5.3.0)

- Added new trails
    - Added impact sounds
    - Tweaked and improved some missiles
    - Increased particle count on some missiles
    - Effects no longer rely on Kunai Scaler
    - Removed Kunai Scaler (by request of asset store admins)

hopeful likes this.
  19. elSheppe

elSheppe

Very interested in the Hyperbit Arsenal. Do the explosions come with the option of applying force. Or is there an included script to add force to an explosion?

20. Archanor

Archanor

Asset is now on sale @ 50% off!

21. fbarboza

fbarboza

Greetings,

Can I use this asset in a 2D project?

Regards,

Fabio

22. Archanor

Archanor

collage1.png

collage2.png 0.png

v1.3 - July 3, 2022 (Unity 2020.3.21f1 and up)

This update adds new missile effects, as well as improvements to visuals and audio. Magic Missiles now also features URP support and more optimized effects.

- 32 new prefabs
    - Reimagined and optimized all effects
    - Improved sound effects
    - Improved icons
    - Added muzzleflash effect for all missiles
    - Added new cast sounds for all missiles
    - Added Water Missile (3 prefabs)
    - Added Shadow Missile (3 prefabs)
    - Added Torch effect
    - Added URP Upgrade package
    - Updated demo scene
    - Scaling Mode set to Hierarchy for easier scaling