Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Magic Light Probes - High Precision Light Probe Generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eugene-B, Nov 18, 2019.

?

Are you interested in this asset?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2020.
  1. Yes, I plan to buy it

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. gmatthews

gmatthews

My new laptop has a RTX2080 so think i'm going to just get good at doing a save-as on my URP project, and being able to convert to HDRP+experimental raytracing package, and then release 2 builds - URP, and Ray Tracing builds. Appreciate the help.

2. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Yes, ray tracing would be perfect for such a project. Good luck with your project!

3. NovaCoder791

NovaCoder791

So, while not a major issue and is more just an annoyance. Would it be possible in future versions to make the program ignore Box Colliders if they're flagged as triggers? Cause It does cause some small annoyances when generating the probes. Thanks in advance!

TriggerIssue.png

4. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hmmm. I will check it. o_O

NovaCoder791 likes this.
  5. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Yes, it really is, I don't know how I could have missed it. Will be fixed in the next version. Thanks!

NovaCoder791 likes this.
  6. NovaCoder791

NovaCoder791

Awesome to hear! Thanks for checking it, I love the project so far it's super handy!

Eugene-B likes this.
  7. elaradi23

elaradi23

Hi,

I was hoping to know if there were any extra steps to get the asset working in URP besides pressing "Upgrade Project Materials to UniversalRP Materials". Almost all of the demo scenes are still showing materials in pink.

URP version 8.2.0

upload_2020-10-2_20-24-10.png

8. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hi!
    You just need to replace the materials manually. All demo scenes use a standard shader. I don't know why they weren't automatically replaced, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!

9. Unplug

Unplug

well you were quick replying, your seem confident and I wanted to show that I was serious and not just bugging around. many developper downgrade their package on request... currently I have enough of this long term project so I dont need it honestly. i wish you can retrograde it.

i saw you other upcoming asset, i dont know, ill think a bout it. Can you share your email ?

10. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

evb45@bk.ru

11. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.86 is available on the update server.

Improvements:
    • Ability to consider a group of objects as a single collider (MLPCombinedMesh)

Bug Fixes:
    • Colliders marked as a trigger are mistakenly taken into account during the calculation
    • MLP Light component does not work correctly with Bakery Light Mesh component
    • The "Corners Detection Threshold" setting in MLP Quick Editing removes probes in contrasting areas

Changes:
    • Due to the upcoming release of the new asset called Magic Lightmap Switcher, the context menu structure has been changed. Now is Tools -> Magic Tools -> Magic Light Probes
    • Documentation updated

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  12. daville

daville

How do you remove this?

so far I have to Install the plug in, Bake my probes, Uninstall the plug in, to get rid of it.
    upload_2020-11-26_18-3-50.png

13. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hey!
    upload_2020-11-27_5-52-16.png

daville likes this.
  14. daville

daville

Eugene-B likes this.
  15. petey

petey

Hi there,
    I'm stuck set 4 of the QuickStart 'basic volume setting' :(
    When Select an “MLP Group 0 Volume" there's nothing to resize. It also looks like it has a different script than on the video guide. Any idea where I've got wrong?

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 7.47.06 pm.png

Thanks,
    Pete

16. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

I will help you as soon as I am there.

17. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

18. Gooren

Gooren

Eugene-B likes this.
  19. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Thanks!

20. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.87 is available on the update server.

Improvements:
    • Saving custom probe positions even after volume recalculation
    • Improved mechanics for selecting floor and ground objects
    • Optimized scripts (should get rid of lags with a large number of volumes on scene)
    • Disabled notifications about update check errors in the background
    • Probes added manually are now highlighted
    Bug Fixes:
    • Fixed errors for objects with LOD
    • MLP Helper no longer appears when selecting a - MLP Combined Volume -
    • Queue calculation now starts correctly
    Changes:
    • Fixed a typo in the content of the Debug tab
    • Disabled Volumes Auto-Generation option, as it very often works with errors and requires significant improvement

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  21. MarkTheDecrepit

MarkTheDecrepit

I just purchased and installed Magic Light Probes, then ran it using the settings recommended in your quick-start guide, including using the simple workflow.. It created 512 volumes and zero light probes. Many of my scene objects were parented to objects not marked as static, so I marked the parents as static (the scene objects were already static) and recalculated. I got a bunch of error messages: "Failed to create Convex Mesh from source mesh ...," and after about an hour gave a "calculation complete" message and then crashed Unity.

22. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

512 volumes is quite a lot. As for your described error, I wonder if I have never received such a report before. Can you connect to Discord server? We will try to solve your problem promptly.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  23. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

An error was found in version 1.87 that prevents the calculation from being performed. The fix has been sent to the store and is available for download on the update server. The version number has not changed.

hopeful likes this.
  24. MarkTheDecrepit

MarkTheDecrepit

Ah, okay. I'd downloaded the new version from the update server, saw that the version number was unchanged, and decided there was no point overwriting it. I'll update and try again.

25. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

I wrote this post as a general information, for everyone, I do not think that this applies to your problem, since the error is not the same, you rather have an optimization question and perhaps some kind of problem with creating colliders at the time of calculation. I am waiting for information from you.

26. awais21

awais21

the assets says that No probes will be located inside the geometry but in my case probes are being located inside the geometry any idea what i am doing wrong? i have checked double the probes are inside the mesh

Attached Files:

• 610.JPG
      610.JPG
      File size:
      114 KB
      Views:
  27. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

It looks like the object is not counted by the system, here are the possible reasons:
    1) Make sure the object is marked as static or has the Contribute GI property checked
    2) Make sure the object is not a child of another object not marked as static
    3) Make sure that the collision layer in which the object is located is marked in the plugin settings (Culling Options-> Collision Layers)

If none of the above solves the problem, then please connect to the Discord server, there we can analyze the situation in detail and solve the problem quickly.

28. stepkka

stepkka

Hello,
    I've just got the version 1.90, set up 4 volumes and recalculated. Then after restarting Unity I'm getting error spam:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MagicLightProbes.MagicLightProbes.CheckState () (at Assets/Magic Light Probes/MagicLightProbes.cs:1116)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at <c5b8ea301f1f41bf85e0302c2ee96b92>:0)

Recalculate button now does not do anything..

29. stepkka

stepkka

Another question. I try to keep the packages clean of demo data. I also want to keep all the game-related assets in separate folder, not in the package folder.
    The MLP has a bunch of .mlpdat files in folders like Assets\Magic Light Probes\Editor\Scene Data\Indoor\MLP Group 3.. Are they needed?

30. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hi!
    No, this folder only contains data for quick volume editing in the editor. It can be removed along with the examples. For release, MLP can be removed completely, leaving only the MLP Combined Volume object on scene.

31. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

I'll check it a little later when I get to the PC and report the result.

32. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

@stepkka

I looked at the code part where you get the error and I can't tell you exactly why this is happening. Connect to the Discord server, please, there we will consider your situation in detail.

33. SXY1997

SXY1997

Hi,
    I tried to use Unity's built-in model to test the MLP ForceNoProbes component. As shown in the figure below, the left side is an object with the MLP ForceNoProbes component, and I found that in the Cube test, MLP ForceNoProbes did reduce the light probes above.In the Capsule test, MLP ForceNoProbes also reduced a part of the light probes, but in the Sphere test, I did not find any difference.

And there are a lot of objects in my game that need to use the MLP ForceNoProbes component.Can I add the MLP ForceNoProbes component to the parent object so that all child objects can be affected?

Attached Files:

34. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hi!
    Hmm .. I have to check something, maybe there is some kind of shortcomings. Regarding one component for a group of objects, no, this has not been implemented, however I can add that. I'll try to do it today. When it's ready, I'll upload the new version to the update server.

35. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

upload_2021-2-19_21-0-9.png

Done!

MLPForceNoProbes now works for both an individual object and a group.

The new version is available on the update server and will be available in the store in a couple of days. At the same time, I slightly corrected the algorithm for placing probes in contrasting places close to objects, now they are installed more accurately.

AntonioModer likes this.
  36. SXY1997

SXY1997

Thank you, I tried to test the new version and it worked great. But there is still a little problem. I tried to use grouping to set up the MLP Force No Probes component. In the picture below I added the MLP Force No Probes component to the Cube. Cube and Cube_1 work very well. But for the third level Cube_11 and the fourth level Cube_111, the MLP Force No Probes component does not work.

Attached Files:

• Test.png
      Test.png
      File size:
      85.4 KB
      Views:
  37. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

I'll fix it today. I will not change the version number, just download the package through the update server. I'll let you know when the bug is fixed.

38. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

@1260073465
    I did change the version to 1.92 as I had to make more changes than I thought. The component works differently now, read the documentation before using it.

This is available on the update server. Will be in the store in a couple of days.

39. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.93 is available on the Update Server and in the editor interface, and it has also been sent to the store.

Bug Fixes:
    • Fixed rare bug of lost compute shader references
    • Fixed incorrect behavior of the algorithm for removing probes inside the geometry in the engine version 2020.2+
    Changes:
    • Due to the upcoming release of the new asset called Magic Lightmap Switcher, changed the grouping of plug-in objects in the hierarchy, now all added volumes are placed in the Magic Tools -> Magic Light Probes

40. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

41. VirtualDestructor

VirtualDestructor

I just purchased this asset yesterday and ran into this issue. My scene is broken up into sectors and all of the geometry, lights, and even the light probes are placed in the hierarchy based on sector. Since the sector/parent objects have components on them, MLP disabled them and then failed to work.

My question is, why disable an entire GameObject without considering what children it may have? Aren't you just trying to disable the renderers or the colliders? I can see that I am not the only one having an issue with this. I went ahead and made some minor changes to the MLP code so that it disables renderers and colliders and now it works. I'm just wondering why it does not work that way in the first place.

42. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

I don’t remember why I chose this option, most likely I had reasons, possibly related to raycasting. However, if you managed to get around it in another way, then I'm glad. Do you need any help from me?

43. VirtualDestructor

VirtualDestructor

Thanks for the quick response. I have one question: The files in "Magic Light Probes/Editor/Scene Data" are generated during calculation and can be safely deleted right? I want to exclude them from source control.

44. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Yes, this is only needed to adjust the volume. When you're done with the settings, you can delete it.

Can you show me what changes you made? Or send an edited file? If this does not cause errors, I would be happy to include it in the next patch.

45. VirtualDestructor

VirtualDestructor

Sure.

Edit: After posting it I realized this code had an error for certain scenes. That's what I get for posting code immediately after I write it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Eugene-B likes this.
  46. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Thanks, I'll check it out a bit later. Good job.

47. VirtualDestructor

VirtualDestructor

Here are the changes to MagicLightProbes.cs (I did not want to post the entire thing since it is a paid asset).

Attached Files:

Eugene-B likes this.
  48. jackcaplin

jackcaplin

hi,seems like i have the same problem,it shows
    "UnassignedReferenceException: The variable calculateVolumeFilling of MagicLightProbes has not been assigned."
    " Assets/Plugins/Magic Light Probes/Passes/PartialVolumeFilling.cs:78".
    the wired thing is it only happens in the assets project, i worked fine when i create new empty test project. so what i should do to fix this?

49. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

I apologize for the delay in answering, if I understand correctly, then you also asked this question in the discord and later wrote that you solved this problem.

If so, I'll just duplicate the answer from the discord here. I'm glad you figured it out and I'm ready to help if you have any more questions!

50. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Update 1.94 is available.

Improvements:
    • Added option to disable forced placement of probes at geometry edges.
    • Modified algorithm to work correctly with tile geometry.
    upload_2021-6-19_3-31-42.png
    upload_2021-6-19_3-32-34.png

Changes:
    • Temporarily disabled dynamic density option for modification.

AntonioModer likes this.